[Reviews - 2]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





After the second song had passed them by, Elizabeth shifted against him and looked up at him. She had wrapped her arms around his middle, one hand on his shoulder while the other held him tightly to herself. She looked up at him with a smile and ran her gaze over his face.

“Hey,” she murmured, eyes settling on his lips. “What do you say we get out of here?”

He gasped a little at her eagerness and the gentle squeeze she gave him. “Are you sure?” he settled serious eyes on her. He watched her lick her lips, then their eyes locked again and she nodded.

“Take me home, John,” she told him quietly with a small smile. He dropped his forehead to lean against hers and he could feel her warm breath ghosting on his lips, knew that if he just leant forward a few centimetres he would be kissing her. He felt his heart rate double at the mere thought of kissing her. She hummed happily, seemingly sensing his struggle. Then their eyes caught again and he found the strength to pull away slightly.

“I’ll go grab your shawl and get the car,” he told her, tension present in the tone of his voice. He squeezed her waist gently, giving her a cocky little smile before heading off across the dance floor. She found herself grinning happily, as she returned to pick up her purse.

“Elizabeth!”

She stopped, hand on her purse, It couldn’t be… she thought. Upon turning around she saw her ex-lover Simon Wallace stood behind her, looking anxious about something. “Simon, good to see you again,” she smiled tightly as she replied with a customary greeting. “How have you…”

“I need to talk to you, Elizabeth,” he cut her off, speaking quickly and looking around furtively.

“Ok, so talk.” He stepped up closer to her.

“Not here, meet me at the house as soon as you can,” he instructed her in a low voice before rushing off towards the exit, knocking John’s shoulder as he passed by in a hurry. She had never seen him look so harried and scared; so unlike Simon’s normal disposition of calm and aloof.

“Hey, what was that about?” John asked as he stepped up to her holding out her wrap. She took it distractedly as she watched Simon retreat from the hall in a hurry. “You ok?”

“Yeah,” she murmured distractedly. “Actually, no, I’m not. I’m sorry John, but would you mind if I asked for a rain check?” She asked apologetically, seeing his face drop as she spoke.

“Uhh…sure,” he gave her a weak smile, his shoulders dropping as he looked down when their hands brushed when he handed her shawl over to her.

“I really am sorry John, but my friend needs me,” she explained, laying a hand on his forearm.

“Simon, right?” he huffed out, still avoiding her eyes.

“Yeah,” she confirmed sadly, feeling that this had broken something special that had been growing between them for the past few days. So she tried to rescue it. “Look, it shouldn’t take long. How about I sort this out then come pick me up in…” she lifted his right hand and pushed back the sleeve to look at his watch which made him smile. “An hour?” She looked up at him to find his lips very close to hers, his eyes intense as they flitted over her face. She bit her lip as she gazed up in to his eyes alluringly. “Ok?”

He hesitated, looking almost reluctant to let her get away with it, but as he looked into her eyes he gave her a smile, “Ok. One hour, then I’m coming to get you.”

She grinned up at him, mirroring his eyes as they flicked down to her lips. Deciding to give him something to hold on to she lifted her fingers to his jaw, trailing them gently down towards his lips. The hot breath on his lips distracted him completely and he felt the urge to whisk her off in his arms and never mind the consequences.

She stepped in close to him, cupping his jaw and his hands tightened on her waist anticipating her kiss. His eyes slipped closed, but widened in surprise as her lips landed on the very corner of his mouth. He groaned in frustration, holding her close as they swayed cheek to cheek. He chuckled as she smiled against his skin, giving him a final kiss before pulling away and walking swiftly across the room.

“Wait! How will I know…”

“I’ll text you when I’m in the taxi,” she called over her shoulder, flashing him a teasing smile. He watched her sway her hips more than usual and chuckled as she sauntered out of the room before making his way over to the bar.




“What are you doing back here?” Castle’s voice came from behind him as John finished his drink and ordered himself another coke from the barkeep. Castle sat on the stool next to him and ordered himself a scotch. “Seriously, it looked like it was going great, what happened?”

“It was going great, correction: it is going great. I’m just…killing some time before I go meet her,” John sipped his coke with a happy smile.

“Oh…” Castle replied slowly. “So who was the guy she left with then?”

“A friend who needed her help, she’s sorting him out and then we’re meeting back at her place.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, now will you please just drop it?” John hissed angrily.

“Sure, sure,” Castle held his hands up in defence before muttering in to his glass. “Never pegged Lizzie for such a player is all.” John huffed in annoyance and stood to leave before a laughing Castle put his hand on his arm and apologised, telling him to sit again. John checked his watch, and seeing there was still nearly half an hour left until he needed to leave to meet Elizabeth. He sat down warily, eyeing Castle suspiciously. They settled in silence, the awkwardness slowly dissipating until John spoke up.

“What happened with Beckett?” he saw Castle almost deflate out of the corner of his eye and realised he shouldn’t have asked. “Sorry,” he murmured, returning his eyes to his drink.

“No,” he sighed. “Fair’s fair I suppose,” he smiled tightly, fidgeting with his glass as he spoke. “Her boyfriend showed up,” John hissed in response, Castle nodding solemnly in agreement. “Perfect, sensitive, life-saving, cool Doctor motorcycle boy,” he grumbled in to his drink as he downed the strong liquid.

“Sorry, man,” John consoled him quietly.

“Not your fault, just something I have to get used to I suppose.”

“Dear God, you are a defeated man, aren’t you,” John laughed as he sipped his drink.

“Richard dear!” A woman called from across the crowd of people on the dance floor, waving madly in their direction. John saw Castle’s head drop and heard the accompanying groan.

“Kill me now…”



[Reviews - 2]    Printer Chapter or Story