[Reviews - 4]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +


Title: Lexy
Genres: Alternate Universe, Hurt/Comfort
Rating: G
Warnings: None
Summary: John has a past (duh) and now, she's on Atlantis. No spoilers i guess



Prologue

Johns scream pierced the night as he sat bolt up right in his bed. He just sat there for a little while shaking and shivering, and then he decided to take a cold shower and go for a walk. During the shower he had time to dwell on his nightmare. He had this one often but it always shook him to the core, no matter how prepared he was. He could still feel the heat of the sun and the vibrations of the car as it sped along the street.

Sighing, he turned of the shower and got ready for the walk. He walked aimlessly for almost ten minutes before he realized where he was. He was on a small balcony overlooking some of the city and much of the ocean. It was late and the stars were shining brightly in the sky. The double moons were reflecting off the water and casting a soft glow over the city, making it look as though It was a dream. It was late and the stars were shining brightly in the sky. The double moons were reflecting off the water and casting a soft glow over the city, making it look as though it was a dream. He thought about all the times he spent star gazing back on Earth before- NO! He couldn't think of that at the moment.

"Mind if I join you?"

Startled, John turned to see Elizabeth walking onto the balcony behind him. She looked as though she too had trouble sleeping. Her hair was unusually messy and her eyes looked tired. He smiled at her and motioned for her to join him. They stood watching the ocean for a while. They were in a comfortable silence, until Elizabeth spoke.

"What are you doing up so late?" She asked him. He turned to smile at her.

"Nightmare. You?"

"Reports. You wanna talk about it?" She asked him.

"The reports?"

"The nightmare."

He grimaced. "Not really, but I guess it'll help. At least if I tell you, I'll have someone who I can talk with. But you can't tell anyone. Except Rodney." She nodded and he took a deep breath. "My nightmare wasn't really a nightmare, more like… a memory. It was as though I was reliving my worst memory." He took another big breath. "Three years ago, I took my family to the beach we had a great time. Lida, my wife, and I would just sit and watch our daughter play in the sand." He smiled a faint, sad smile at the memory and closed his eyes to hide the pain he was sure Elizabeth could see. "She made a sand caste and everything. The day began perfectly, and it stayed that way until we went home. To get home, we had to pass through a pretty rough neighborhood. There was shooting going on, but luckily, my daughter was asleep and my wife had lost most of her hearing so they didn't know what was happening. I got a little worried when the shooting came closer, so I went a lot faster. Lida was leaning forward to get something, but I didn't notice, I was to busy trying to get us out of there. A bullet flying right in front of my eyes distracted me from my driving and I lost control of the car. I remember my daughter calling out for her mom. I looked at my wife for a second and can never forget what I saw. Lida was sitting with her head on the window, her eyes open, but not seeing. She was covered in blood. The bullet.. the bullet went straight through her head. She, She died… instantly." He let out a shaky breath. "Understandably, I wasn't watching the road and I didn't see the sharp bend until we went over the cliff. I got out lucky, my legs were both broken and I had a couple of broken ribs, but other than that, I was fine. Physically anyway. My daughter was in a coma. She had no brain activity at all. They couldn't turn the life support off without my permission so they had to keep her alive for over a year. Then one day, I got a call. The hospital wanted me to let her go. They said that even if she were to wake up, she'd never be normal again because she couldn't go through puberty. So I told them to wait six months, and then pull the plug. Two days after that, you asked me to come to Atlantis."

John opened his tear filled eyes. Sometime during his story he had sat with his back against the wall, and Elizabeth had sat next to him. She now pulled him close and hugged him for all he was worth, tears flowing down her cheeks. "The plug was pulled on her thirteenth birthday, a year and six months after the accident."

Elizabeth did some quick calculations. And realised why this had affected him today. "Today would be her birthday." John nodded into her shoulder. "What was her name?"

"Lexy Sheppard."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks after Johns nightmare, he was finally able to sleep. Even if it was only for one night.

John entered the infirmary at Carson's request.

"Hey Doc, what's up?" He asked as he strode in. He was met by a very concerned Beckett.

"There's someone who wants to meet you, came in on the Daedalus this mornin'"

John smiled. "Lead the way." When he saw who was sitting on the bed, he froze and paled considerably. It was as though he had seen a ghost, which was not far form the truth. Then, he fainted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When he finally came to, John was convinced that it had been a dream. That notion was quickly terminated, when he found himself to be lying in a heap, on the infirmary floor. When he opened his eyes, he saw the people who he hadn't saw before. Assembled around a bed were his team (minus Rodney who was off world with a science team), Elizabeth and Carson. They, plus the person who wanted to meet him, were looking worried about him. He picked himself off the ground with Carson's help.

As he stood, he studded the girl on the bed. Her slightly slanted eyes were a deep blue that matched the colour of the surrounding ocean. Her hair long was a dark, almost black brown that reached her hip she had it tied back in a ponytail. Other than that, she was almost identical to him.

He was staring at her for a good two minutes before he found his voice.

"Lexy?"

The girl nodded confirming her identity. Elizabeth gasped, Lexy had introduced herself as Alex before and Elizabeth had no idea who she was. Until now.

Lexy looked as though she as holding back tears. "I… I came looking for you. It… took me a while… but I found you… I knew I would…" She couldn't hold it back anymore; tears began spilling from her eyes. John was by her bed in record time.

"Lexy, how? How are you here?" John was crying his own tears. Teyla, Ronon and Carson looked shocked. They'd never seen him cry before. John continued. "Last time I saw you, you were… You were brain dead." Carson and the remainder of the team gasped in shock. His hands were now on the child's shaking shoulders. "I was told, you'd never wake up."

"But I did. I... I had help. I'm okay now." John pulled her into a tight hug, as though he was afraid that if he were to let go, she'd disappear.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Later after they had calmed down, Elizabeth scheduled a briefing so the girl could tell her story.

TBC…


[Reviews - 4]    Printer Chapter or Story