[Reviews - 1]    Printer
- Text Size +


Post Duet

Girls Poker Night, what a disaster.

I agreed to go because I go every week. I can’t just stop now, can I?

However… the longer i’m here, the more I wish I wasn’t.

I don’t know what it is, but since I was in Rodney’s body I’ve been attracted to him, really attracted to him and it’s kind of freaking me out.

Now girl’s poker night is all about gossip and the love life of everyone, hence why I hate it this week, its weird I used to love it.

Kate Heightmeyer is asking all the questions this time; she hasn’t gotten to me yet.

“Elizabeth… how did it go with Mike Branton?” she asked, teasing slightly.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, “Not very well, we dated for a week then I cut it short”

Kate sighed, “Because he works for you?”

Elizabeth smirked, “No, because I realized I like someone else”

There was many ooh’s and ahh’s, “Who??” Kate asked.

Elizabeth laughed, “John”

“Sheppard?” Kate asked in shock.

Elizabeth nodded and smiled, “How are things with Evan then?” she asked Kate.

Kate smiled, “Great. 4th date tomorrow night!”

Elizabeth laughed, Kate then turned on Teyla, “And what’s going on with you and Ronan?”

Teyla smiled slightly, “We are very good friends, however we have both admitted to stronger feelings than friendship. We are going to dinner tomorrow night also”

There were a lot of squeals, but I kept quiet. Elizabeth shot me a concerned look, she was my best friend and she knew what was up.

We both knew what the next question would be.

“Katie! How’s it going with McKay?” Kate asked.

I bit my lip as Katie grinned, “Fantastic! We’re going for dinner tomorrow too! He’s just so great! I’m so happy that we got together!”

I bit further down on my lip as Kate turned on me, “How are things with Beckett, Laura?”

I decided just to tell the truth, “I cut things short with him 2 days ago”

Kate frowned, “The day after the kiss through Rodney?”

I only nodded; Katie frowned and asked, “Why?”

I shook my head, “There’s… there’s somebody else I like, a lot and it’s not fair to Carson to be with him when I want to be with someone else”

“Who is the other guy?” Kate asked.

I shook my head and Elizabeth smiled at the others, “Laura and I are going to head off guys, shes not feeling herself lately, see you next week!”

With that we left the room and I sighed and leaned against the wall, “Life sucks Liz”, I said and she chuckled, “It sure does, let’s go to the mess and get a coffee”

We walked to the mess in silence and when we had our coffee we sat down at a hidden little table in the corner of the almost empty room.

“I love a guy I can’t have because of rules and regulations, and you love a guy you can’t have because he’s got a girlfriend… Hmm I reckon we should be drinking vodka”, Elizabeth remarked with a small smile.

I will admit it did make me smile, but it didn’t lift my mood, “I wish I hadn’t set them up, I can’t believe I love him, it’s just so weird”

At that point I was too lost in thought to notice John and Rodney enter the mess and sit at the hidden table behind ours, Elizabeth didn’t notice either.

“Yeah, well loves pretty unexpected, it comes along when you least expect it too.” She took a sip of her coffee, “I never thought I would fall in love with John, we’re really good friends and I thought that’s all we were until the siege and after that I learned to live with it. I know for a fact he doesn’t feel the same way and it’s hard, but it’s just what I have to do and you can learn to do it too.” Elizabeth took another sip of her coffee.

I sighed, “I just feel so …. Rubbish. I know its bad because Katie’s meant to be one of my best friends, but I just feel so jealous of her and it’s the fact that I helped to get them together now i’m regretting it, I just feel like she must be so much better than me-”

“She’s not”, Elizabeth cut in, “She isn’t Laura. You’re my best friend and I know you really well, he would be so much luckier to have you. I’ve seen the way you put all of you into a relationship and you love so much, you’ve had your heartbroken too much and it’s not fair. You give so much in relationships and you expect nothing in return. If I’m honest I think the attitude you have towards a relationship makes you perfect for Rodney. You give all you can, yet you expect nothing in return and giving is difficult for him. I know in time he and Katie will have problems as she expects him to give her all of him, that’s just not going to happen.”

I sighed again, “I guess. Watching him with her is hard though, very hard”

Elizabeth nodded, “Oh trust me I know that feeling. You know what Johns like, Chaya, Mara, Teer, I hated it with Chaya, I don’t know what came over me. The others I didn’t see, but hearing about them was enough. I’m sorry to say that part never goes away, it doesn’t dull down either i’m afraid.”

Hmm, that sucked, I thought, that really sucked. That was when they decided to join our table.

Rodney and John came over coffee in hand, John smiled, “Mind if we join you ladies?” he asked.

Elizabeth smiled, “Go ahead”

They sat down, “Mess is quiet for a Friday night”, Rodney remarked.

I suddenly felt like my old self, “Everyone’s at movie nights and poker nights”

Rodney nodded, “Right enough, why aren’t you two with all the other girls?”

I shrugged, “We were at our usual girl’s poker night, but it got too much so we left”

John frowned, “Too much?”

Elizabeth nodded, “It was all love talk and relationships”, she chuckled, “Laura and I are the only single ones and we couldn’t be bothered listening to it”

John frowned at me, “What about you and Beckett?”

I laughed, “It wasn’t even official, but everyone knows about it, I broke up with him two days ago.”

“Why?” Rodney asked.

“Ummm, well I have my reasons, but I’m not sharing them”, I said, sounding uncomfortable.

“Bet Liz knows”, John whined.

Elizabeth smirked, “Yes, I do”

John only rolled his eyes at her, and I smiled, watching them made me happy and sad, I wanted Rodney and me to be like that.

“Laura, are you okay?”

He called me Laura, wow he just called me Laura.

“I’m fine, just tired I guess”, I said with a slight smile.

He nodded, “So am I actually, didn’t sleep last night with the latest project. Carson went mental at me for not getting my ‘well needed rest’ pfft”

I laughed as he rolled his eyes, “Yup, me too. I was working on that project as well, finished at 6 this morning and I didn’t get much sleep during the day with the whole sensors being down thing”

Rodney frowned, “You were working on the Prometheus project?”

I laughed, “Yeah, I’m an explosives expert remember? You asked me to work on it with you”

A look of realization crossed his face, “Oh right, yeah I did. Its just with the whole fiasco last night and stuff, and the lack of sleep”

“What fiasco?”, I asked.

The frown was back, “You didn’t notice? Oh wait I kept making you go get me coffee didn’t I?”

I nodded and laughed, “Yeah, about 10 times, what happened while I was away?”

He shrugged, “Katie turned up and started shouting about a lot of stuff, we kinda made up because I said I’d have dinner with her tomorrow but I only said it to get her to shut up, its only been a few days and shes getting clingy already”

I couldn’t believe my luck, I wanted to tell him to go to poker night and end it right now, but I couldn’t, “Oh, that’s not so good”

He shrugged, “I guess, so you and Elizabeth are friends? I didn’t know that”

I smiled, “Yup, Liz and me have gotten on great since the start of the expedition, actually since her latest love interest we’ve gotten on better than we did before”, I laughed as Liz glared at me.

Elizabeth composed herself quickly, “Don’t go spouting your mouth off about my love interests, I could easily do the same about yours.”

John grinned, “Well there’s really no point Elizabeth. Rodney and me were sitting at the table behind you guys, we heard the whole conversation.”

Elizabeth turned scarlet, “The WHOLE conversation?”

Rodney laughed, “Well we heard enough to know what was going on, it was pretty obvious though Elizabeth. People have been putting bets on it and everything, Sheppard realized about a year ago. He’s just to scared to tell you that he loves you too, although he’s told me often enough”

John smirked at Elizabeth who just shook her head in embarrassment and shock, giving her a moment to recover he turned on me.

“Laura, Laura, Laura. Now your confession shocked me!”, He laughed then looked over to Rodney, “But didn’t shock Rodney, considering the fact Katie screamed at him last night for not being committed or devoted and liking you instead of her, and about you liking him and her not being the only one to have you and how life wasn’t fair and how she hated him….”

I was so angry!, “She said that?!”, I asked through gritted teeth.

Elizabeth grabbed my arm, “Don’t do something stupid, one of these days your tempers going to get you a broken nose!”

I rolled my eyes, remembering the time she had punched me, “It already has, if I recall correctly, your fist did the breaking Liz”, I smirked at her.

She rolled her eyes this time, “We were both a bit worse for the ware that night”

John grinned, “Ohh, that night, the night I kissed you. That was a fun night, Athosian alcohol and tents… and music, wait I didn’t JUST kiss you that night”, his grin widened and so did Elizabeth’s eyes, “You ARE joking right? Because all I remember from that night is kissing you, dancing with you and waking up in a tent with you the next morning…”

John grinned, “You actually believed me when I told you nothing happened? Pity you don’t remember that night, it was a good night”

I laughed, “Not if you got punched in the nose by your best friend!”

Rodney smiled, “Why did she punch you anyways?”

Elizabeth blushed, “Oh no, Laura please don’t tell them that story!”

I grinned, I was getting payback, “She thought I had a thing for Sheppard, apparently she had seen me flirting with him and she got angry with me. I told her I didn’t like him in that way, but she still wouldn’t back down so I thought I’d have a bit of fun and said I was madly in love with him and then she punched me. I spent most of that party with Carson in the first aid tent”

I noticed Rodney made a humph noise at the end of my story, “But by the sounds of it you had fun Liz”, I laughed.

She laughed too, “It does sound that way”

John winked at her and she just shook her head in amusement.

It was nice, to relax and be myself again, it seemed I could only do it when I was with Rodney McKay, but that was okay, because I loved him.

The End!!!


[Reviews - 1]    Printer