[Reviews - 9]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes: sorry about the delay, but work, you know ... hope this is not too sarcastic, but writing it was too much fun to stop, so what could I do? :-) hope you like it nevertheless! Tell me what you think!


Elizabeth wanted to tell John about the transmission, but was interrupted by the next superhero joining the scene. Rodney was also panting when he stopped in front of Elizabeth and bent down putting his hands on his knees.

“One day this vain running-sports-crap is going to be my unceremonious death.”

The other three rolled their eyes simultaneously, while Rodney obliviously continued: “Why wasn’t I called immediately when the gate was activated? I’m the …”

“… chief scientist, I know.” Why didn’t I just seize the moment and went to bed? It’s my own fault. Elizabeth tried to fight the urge to hit her head against the next wall. Now they decide to play adults.

She took a deep breath preparing to tell them what was actually going on when the gate suddenly came to life again.

“We’re receiving another message.” Radek was drumming on the keyboard again and again the female voice filled the room with her prayer.

“We have to do something straight away.” John was the first to share his initial judgment after the message had come to an end.

“Hoping for maiden in distress you can save?” Rodney grinned.

“Gentlemen, …” Elizabeth genuinely tried to tell what the message was really about.

“There might be a culling going on or something!” John cut her off, throwing Rodney a piercing glare that stated without words: Now it’s your turn. Help me on this or you’ll deliberately take off back to your jumper compartment.

“But … “. This time it was Radek’s attempt that was ignored and broken off by Rodney who had, just like Lorne in the morning, gotten John’s message instantly. “Colonel knight-in-shining-armor might have a point there, though.”

This is getting old. Elizabeth closed her eyes. “Would you please listen?!”

“They are right, Dr. Weir.” Radek? Now the leader of Atlantis was officially at a loss – again. The Czech, though, continued ostensibly unimpressed. “They might be in danger, but there’s also something else we should consider.” He can’t, can he? Elizabeth thought at the intense look Radek gave her. “If the people on this planet were able to send such us a message, they might have further ancient technology like the defense systems we’ve encountered on several planets. It should be worth a glance or two.” The Czech shrugged while inconspicuously looking at Elizabeth with a knowing conspiratorial twinkle. Obviously he could.

Radek strikes. Elizabeth wasn’t sure whether to be impressed or scared. Fortunately the last impulse necessary to convince her to play along was offered nicely by John observing her with huge eyes a bit too expectantly. If that’s what you want … Elizabeth subdued a cocky expression that threatened to obliterate their little act and pretended a sigh. Let’s get on with this and have a little fun with He-Man and Brainy. “Okay, then. John, Rodney since you’re so anxious about this, you can go and check what’s going on and if there’s anything worth of further investigation. “

Excuse me?! John thought before he stammered: “Only Rodney and I?”

“Teyla and Ronon are on a trading trip. And anyways, I think it’s better to send a small recon team than to show up with a whole army. Wouldn’t want to challenge any unwanted attention now, would we?”

You’ve got to be kidding me! “Two men goes for less than small I would say.”

“If you think that’s too dangerous for you I can understand that of course, you’re the military commander and the chief scientist after all. Atlantis could never compensate your missing. I’m sure we can find somebody else to step in. Maybe Dr. Zelenka and Major Lorne could assume your place. I’m sure they’d carry out the mission as perfectly as you would.” Very visibly concerned and sympathetic Elizabeth looked at her 2IC.

Damn. The woman knows exactly what buttons to push. In the last
second he stopped himself from sticking his tongue out at his boss. “No, you’re right. There won’t be a problem. Rodney and I will manage.” While Rodney’s eyes widened to saucers in horror, it was Radek’s turn to be impressed. Elizabeth’s face showed nothing but pure – evil – politeness. They would NEVER ever back down after a dare like this.

Their leader smiled. “Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. If you come across troubles, contact back to Atlantis immediately. In any other case we’ll be awaiting your first regular check-in 6 hours after you left.”

“Great. We’ll leave in twenty minutes.” John left the gate room, quickly followed by Rodney.

Elizabeth stayed back with Radek and looked at him hesitantly. “Don’t you think we’re putting them in unnecessary danger?”

“There are no dangers on that planet besides make-up and estrogen. They have no technology except this primitive radio system they used to send the message. I survived sadistic adolescents, Rodney will survive bacchanalian adults.” Radek gave back determined. The Czech had been ignored, passed over and harassed by his “superior” often enough, the last time had been this morning, when Radek had been jeered at for predicting the ending of hasty speed improvements. Now was the time for a small round of retaliation.

Seeing her unchanged uncertainty, he added: “If something should really happen we can still send back-up. But I’m positive they will be … utterly … alright.”

“Okay, then. Hopefully this will teach them to think and listen before acting.” Hope dies last.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Outside the gate room Rodney was not so sure about his near-future well-being. “Aren’t you ever sick of hara-kiri-missions?!”

“Don’t be such a baby. We’ll be alright.” John snapped back uncharacteristically touchy.

“She really got to you, didn’t she?” Rodney grinned.

“No clue what you’re talking about.”

Bullseye! “Oh come on, don’t play innocent! A blind man with a walking stick on the other side of the universe could see your hurt alpha-male-ego!” Rodney was laughing loudly now, which only helped to increase John’s indignation.

“Don’t say it didn’t offend you when Elizabeth suggested Radek could replace you?! And perfectly at that.” Mimicking Elizabeth’s voice John came closer to the scientist and almost yelled.

“Okay, okay.” For a moment Rodney considered taking this to an end where John admitted that Rodney had hit the nail on the head after all, but in the long run health outranked pride on his personal priority list. Pushing inconvenient truths more often than not went hand in hand with suffering from an inconvenient destiny. The messenger tended to lose his head when his message wasn’t appreciated. Hence Rodney ceased talking and started following John again.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A little more than twenty minutes later John and Rodney were standing in front of the gate in a still rather deserted gate room. On any and all other days such conditions would have brought all of John’s internal alarm systems to level dark red close to overload, but tonight all his energy was required in the process of the defense of his pride and dignity. Consequently reason and instinct were left fighting a losing battle. He was accomplishing this mission no matter what.

Out of habit John turned around briefly before going through the gate. He caught a glimpse of Elizabeth. An oddly silent Elizabeth as he noticed. No “Be safe” , “Be careful” or anything. Nothing but a weird look.

Only with this realization it dawned on the military commander of Atlantis that something was definitely different, not to say downright wrong. This is a bad idea was the mind-dominating thought John stepped into the event horizon with.

He should be proved right. The next hours in the life of John Sheppard exposed how bad this idea had been.


[Reviews - 9]    Printer Chapter or Story