[Reviews - 217]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +


John Sheppard sat beside Elizabeth Weir in the sand, both of them silent, staring at the reflection of the moon on the water.

It was past midnight. He wondered if Matthew Weir was the type to wait up for his sister. If he was right in thinking Elizabeth's brother had been eyeing him suspiciously.

He'd noticed immediately on arriving that Elizabeth had been planning to go somewhere. Her strappy dress, light makeup and the ready availability of her bag told him that. When she'd confessed she'd intended to go to a movie, John insisted they did that. Elizabeth wanted to talk, but he reminded her they had three days do to that, and it had been a long time since he'd actually had the experience of going to a movie.

John had let her pick the movie. Something 'girly'. He couldn't remember the name or the plot. He'd been too busy soaking up the experience of sitting in a theatre, filled with his fellow Americans. The experience of an 'almost' date. He'd insisted on buying the popcorn and drinks reminding Elizabeth when she protested "Almost four years of pay with nowhere to spend it!"

After, they'd walked and talked, finding themselves on the pier, not far from Elizabeth's brother's house. They grabbed a coffee before walking down to the beach, to plant themselves in the sand.

Two hours later, they were still there. Most of the time had been spent in silence, much like their times on the balcony in Atlantis.

Eventually, John glanced at his watch "We're past your curfew." he said with a laugh.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. "What time is it?"

"12.30," John passed on. "You know, I get the impression your brother doesn't like me."

"You saw James, right?" John nodded "Well, Matt was trying a setup. That's why I was going out"

"I see.. does he try that often?" John inquired.

"First time. And if he knows what's good for him, it'll be the last"

John laughed. He could imagine Elizabeth giving her brother a good dose of Dr Weir, sending him scurrying with his tail between his legs.

John stood, picking up Elizabeth's discarded sandals and reaching for her left hand "Come on," he said "walk with me."

Elizabeth allowed him to pull her up from the sand, and they walked, slowly, their feet being cooled by the salt water, and John showing no sign of letting go of her hand.

"So," Elizabeth whispered "Tell me. How is it there now... honestly."

"It's.... good," John admitted "at least as good as it can be given the leadership change and all. I wanted to hate her, but you know, she's okay. We work pretty well together. And she gives as good as she gets with Rodney.... but .... I feel like I'm betraying you by liking her."

"Oh, God, John, don't feel like that" Elizabeth insisted. "We do what we can with the situations we're given. You need to work with her. You need to work well with her. I'd never want..."

"Yeah, I know... I think your brother's waiting up" John lifted their joined hands, pointing in the general direction of Matthew Weir's beachside home. The downstairs lights shone brightly, a lone figure visible at the table.

"Great. He's at me for months on end to get out more, and when I do...."

"Don't be too hard on him, 'Lizabeth. If I had a little sister and a guy like me turned up to drag her out for the night, I'd be a bit protective, too"

"A guy like you?"

"Yeah," John smirked at her "You know, handsome, suave, sophisticated...."

She laughed at that "You're an idiot!"

"You wound me, Elizabeth, you wound me" John replied with a laugh. "Come on, let's get you home before he sends out a search party!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As soon as she turned the key in the lock, Elizabeth could hear Matthew scrambling around, trying to look busy. When she door opened, he was at the table, tapping away on his laptop.

He turned, taking in the view of John and Elizabeth entering his home "Hey guys," he looked at his watch "wow, I lost track of time. Work, you know"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes at him "You're not very subtle, Matt" she told him, leading John through to the study, where her brother had set up the sofa bed for their guest.

"So... this is you" she told John ".. the bathroom's just across the hall. If you hear some crashing around during the night, that'll be Abby. Broken leg... she's a bit of a disaster zone right now.... She can't get up the stairs, so we've put her in the guest room"

"Okay. Thanks, Elizabeth... for everything," John reached took a step closer to her, planting a quick kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight"

She smiled at him "Goodnight John," she said, turning to leave the room.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The sound of the obvious shuffling of papers greeted Elizabeth as she stepped back into the lounge area of the house. Matthew it seemed was still up, waiting for her.

"So... I take it we'll be graced by your presence before midday..." he teased.

"Grow up, Matt!" Elizabeth shot back at him, as she walked up the stairs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Three days later, John and Elizabeth stood in the queue at LAX. He'd packed light, so there was no need to check anything in, but going through security was a long and tedious process, and he was happy to have Elizabeth still there to keep him company.

"Shoes and belt" she stated.

"What?"

"Shoes and belt," Elizabeth repeated. "we're nearly at the front of the line. They're going to make you take them off when you get there. You might as well take them off now."

"You're way too organised, 'Lizabeth," John told her, fiddling with his belt buckle, eventually handing the item to her before pulling off his shoes without undoing the laces.

She seemed to be getting more and more agitated as they neared the head of the queue, stepping closer to him so their arms were touching. The security guy handed John a plastic container to place his shoes and belt in. He did that, and turned to Elizabeth.

"Well, this is it" He reached out, twisting a strand of her hair around his finger. He couldn't remember if he'd told her he liked it long.

"Yeah," Elizabeth stepped forward, flinging her arms around his neck, and he held onto her tightly.

"Sir" the security man's voice was insistant. John was holding up the queue, he knew that.

He let Elizabeth go, "It's been great spending time with you" he said.

She nodded, reaching into the pocket of her jeans and pulling out an envelope and handing it to him.

"Read this when you get on the plane," she insisted.

He nodded, smiling at her, before disappearing through security.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was surprised to have a spare seat next to him on the flight to Colorado Springs. He stretched his legs out, leaning against the window, once the seatbelt sign went off. He dragged his backpack out from under the seat in front and reached in, pulling out Elizabeth's envelope.

Inside was a postcard. Of the pier. There was something very familiar about it that made him smile. He turned it over, reading Elizabeth's neat writing.

"John,

I'm writing this hours before you leave, and I miss you already. Thank you for the last three days. I'm glad you got to meet my family. Abby is smitten, and I think you've come very close to winning Matt over.

Give my love to all our friends. Take care of Rodney for me. You know how he can be...

I'm crossing my fingers that Colonel Carter will find other reasons for you to come back, so that you can visit us again. You're always welcome here.

Elizabeth"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth sighed as she entered the home she shared with her brother and her niece. She thanked the neighbour for watching Abby while she'd been gone, making sure the girl didn't break her other leg while left to her own devices, and headed down the hallway.

"Hey Abby" she said, sitting down on the edge of the girl's bed, waking Sedge up in the process.

"Oh my God, Aunt Lizzy. Do you think you took long enough?" Abby let out a frustrated sigh and reached down beside her bed, rolling over on her good leg.

"Are you okay there?" Elizabeth asked sarcastically.

"I've been waiting to give you this!" The ten year old handed Elizabeth an envelope and a small velvet box.

"What is it?"

"How should I know? I promised not to look at it. Open it before I open it myself!"

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow at her niece, before starting to slowly open the envelope.

"Aunt Lizzy!" Abby protested, frustrated by the time it was taking.

"Okay, okay" Elizabeth lifted a postcard from inside the envelope. It was of the pier. It was the exact postcard she'd given John. Startled, she was about to read it when Abby broke into her thoughts

"Forget the card, open the box!!"

Elizabeth put the card aside for the moment, giving in to Abby and opening the blue velvet box. What was inside left her stunned. A delicate silver chain with a Pegasus pendant on it.

"Oh... when did he have time to get this?" she whispered, showing the item to Abby.

"It's so pretty!" Abby exclaimed "You know, I think he likes you!"

Elizabeth again raised an eyebrow at her niece. "Don't you have some DVD you could be watching"

Abby rolled her eyes, picking up the remote and flicking on The Princess Diaries.

Elizabeth picked up the postcard, turning it over to read John's message.

"Elizabeth,

Thank you for a great three days in LA.

I picked up this little gift for you in Colorado Springs before flying in to see you. I think it's appropriate, and I hope you'll like it.

So, anyway, I've been thinking that I might ask to spend my leave on Earth. On the odd occasion that it comes up, that is. I'd like to visit you again. You know, if that's okay with you.. just, you know, let me know in your next letter.

I'll email you from cell-like quarters at the SCG when I get back, oh and think of me dealing with those new recruits, it's not going to be fun, Elizabeth......"


[Reviews - 217]    Printer Chapter or Story