[Reviews - 217]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +


John Sheppard shifted uncomfortably, glancing at Elizabeth Weir out of the corner of his eye as she tapped away on her laptop.

He looked back to the movie on TV, trying to give it all his attention, but he had the distinct feeling he was being watched.

John chanced a glance back at Elizabeth, catching her looking at him over the top of her computer.

She quickly looked back down, frowning in feigned concentration.

"What?" he asked.

"What, what?"

John quirked an eyebrow at her.

"It's nothing," Elizabeth insisted.

"Right." he turned back to the movie.

Less than a minute later, Elizabeth let out a hugh sigh.

John rolled his eyes, hitting pause to stop the DVD and turning to face her.

"What's the problem?"

"It's stupid..." she said, after a pause.

"If it's distracting you this much, it can't be stupid."

"What if we go back and I can't do the job anymore?"

John gave her a stunned look. "You can't be serious."

"I assure you, I'm perfectly serious." Elizabeth insisted. "I'm not the person I was when I left."

"Who says you have to be?"

Elizabeth considered his statement for a moment, "You don't think it's a problem that I've been more comfortable tutoring teenagers for the past few years than I am in a high stakes negotiation?"

"Come on, Elizabeth," John said frustratedly. "It's like riding a bike. You know how to do this. You're the best there is. That's not something that just goes away."

"You think?"

"I know," John told her without a moment's hesitation. "Anything else bothering you?"

"You."

"Me?" John's confusion was obvious.

"What if you cloud my judgement? What if I don't make the right decisions because I'm worried about you?"

"'Lizabeth, that's why O'Neill's talking about a committee. No one person has the final say on anything."

She nodded, "Yeah.. but still..."

John moved from his seat to sit beside her. "You won't make the wrong decision. About anything. Neither of us will. And if we try to, McKay will be there to pull us into line. Caldwell too."

Elizabeth nodded, but John could tell she was still considering the scenario.

"'Lizabeth, it's not worth worrying about until they make a decision."

"I know..."

"So stop thinking.."

She laughed at that.

"Okay, bad idea.. you never stop thinking... just.. think about something else..."

"Like what?"

John smirked at her. "Like the fact that I have a chocolate bar hidden somewhere on my person, and it's yours if you can find it."

Elizabeth looked him up and down, curiously, "You'd better not be messing with me.." she told him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John fumbled around in the darkness for his phone, which was ringing loudly somewhere under a pile of clothing. He fell out of bed while reaching into the mess of fabric, landing with a thump before triumphantly clutching the phone.

"Sheppard," he mumbled, sleepily, kneeling to glance at the alarm clock on the other side of the bed. 4.23am.

"It's Landry," a voice on the other end answered.

"Sir," John shuffled around, almost slipping on a discarded shoe before sitting on the bed. "What can I do for you?" he asked quietly.

"It's bad news, I'm afraid."

John slumped, sighed and asked "What happened?"

"We need you to go back today."

There was nothing to say. John closed his eyes in frustration.

"Sheppard?"

"I'm here."

"I know you had plans..." Landry's apologetic tone had John wanting to throw something at the wall. It was a little hard to be angry when someone was being so understanding.

"What happened?"

"Freak accident. Colonel Caldwell's out of action."

"How out of action?"

"Unconscious in the infirmary. That out of action."

John searched his mind for alternatives "How about Lorne?"

"Injured off-world. Pretty badly. He's also in the infirmary."

The urge to throw something at the wall was rising again.

"So you're saying I'm it?"

John heard Landry sigh, "I'm afraid so. We need you to ship out in about three hours."

"Three hours? Sir, I just needed three more days...."

"I'm sorry, Colonel. If there was any other way..."

"I know." John glanced over at Elizabeth's sleeping form. "I just need time to explain this to Elizabeth.. I'll be there as soon as possible."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It's not the end of the world, John," Elizabeth insisted as the pair drove to the SGC.

"We only needed three more days," he answered frustratedly.

"I know, but it's not like Lorne and Caldwell injured themselves on purpose..."

"If I find some sort of disaster caused by McKay has anything to do with this..."

Elizabeth laughed, "I'm sure Rodney's innocent on this one occasion," she told him.

"You have more faith than I do..." John mumbled, as they he parked Elizabeth's car.

They got out quickly, John grabbing the backpack that held his belongings and turning towards the entrance.

Elizabeth linked her arm through his. "I know you're disappointed," she told him. "I am too, but nobody did this on purpose. It goes with the territory. We both know that. The job comes first."

"I know, but it's not right," John insisted. "If the job always comes first, where does that leave us?"

"Waiting patiently, the way we always do." Elizabeth told him, squeezing his arm.

John eyed her suspiciously, "You're taking this better than I am. Why?"

She shrugged. "There's nothing we can do about it. Our time will come eventually. It's just taking a bit longer than we planned."

John smiled at her "I'm marrying a saint." he teased.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth watched John leave through the Stargate, wishing she could be making the journey with him. She'd resigned herself to the fact that they would be apart for quite some time. At least until O'Neill and co. came up with some solution to the leadership issue.

She made a mental note to call him. The sooner the better.

Elizabeth turned, making her way back to her office. She needed a sugar hit. She reached into her pocket, pulling out the chocolate bar she'd snatched from John the night before. Who cared if it was before eight in the morning. There was no such thing as a bad time for chocolate.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth's Friday off dragged. Once she got home, she sat at her desk, tapping away on her laptop for a while, before finally deciding that lunchtime was a good time to call Jack.

She took a breath, dialled his number, and was surprised when she heard a phone ringing outside her own front door.

"O'Neill" a voice answered. She heard it both over the phone and from outside the house.

Elizabeth opened the door, seeing the startled face of Jack O'Neill.

"That was fast," he joked, "didn't even have to knock."

She ended her call "That was me," she told him, gesturing towards his own phone.

"Oh. Right."

Elizabeth almost laughed at the confusion on Jack's face. "To what do I owe this visit?" she asked.

"I needed to have a word with you and Sheppard."

"He's gone," Elizabeth told him, disappointment obvious. "he was called back. Caldwell and Lorne are injured."

"They sent him straight back?"

Elizabeth nodded.

"I'm sorry about that... I guess that kind of ends the weekend in Vegas, right?"

"Not really," Elizabeth offered him a smile, "my family's still going, I'm still going... we're going to see some shows. You and Colonel Carter are welcome to join us if you want to..."

"I'll ask her."

"Okay." Elizabeth finally ushered him in, apologising for leaving him standing in the front door, and offering him a drink.

"Do you have cake to go with that drink?" Jack smirked.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, "Yes, I have cake." she cut them a slice each, poured two cups of coffee and offered Jack his share, before leading him to the lounge area to sit.

She placed her coffee and cake on the table, waiting for Jack to elaborate on why he'd decided to take a trip from Washington to see her.

He seemed more interested in his cake.

"Jack... not that I'm not happy to see you, but what's going on?"

Jack wiped some crumbs from his mouth, and locked eyes with her. "I have an answer on our committee plans." he revealed.


[Reviews - 217]    Printer Chapter or Story