[Reviews - 217]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +


John Sheppard sat in his temporary quarters at the SGC, wondering what the hell he was doing there.

Somehow, without him even asking, Carter had decided to bring him back to Earth. She sent a message back, leaving Rodney, Caldwell and Lorne in charge, and told him she needed him at the SGC.

Her two weeks had mysteriously turned into five, and nobody on Atlantis had a clue what was going on.

John was baffled, to say the least, but something about gift horses came to mind, and he decided not to question Carter's actions.

Right now, he was counting down the hours until Elizabeth turned up for work.

After that, he needed to figure out exactly what was going through Sam's mind.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth laughed as Aimee told her of her night out with one of the scientists.

"Who would have thought he'd be that wild!"

"Not me. He could drink any of the soldiers under the table," Aimee told her.

Elizabeth reached out to unlock her office, surprised when the door pushed open gently as she touched it. She frowned. It seemed the cleaners had left the door unlocked.

It didn't matter, she decided. She was on a military base. She didn't expect anything would be missing.

Elizabeth pushed the door further open, allowing Aimee to enter first.

"Well, hello there," Aimee said slyly.

Elizabeth looked past her, trying to see who she'd aimed her comment at, and was stunned to see John Sheppard sitting in her seat, feet on her desk.

"Hello to you, too," he said uncertainly, sitting up straight, instantly concerned he was in the wrong office until he saw Elizabeth peering around Aimee's shoulder.

He smile and waved, "Hey Lizzy!"

Elizabeth took a deep breath, "Hey," she said, returning his smile, not taking her eyes off him.

Aimee looked from one to the other, waiting for someone to address her.

"Oh, sorry... Aimee, this is..."

"The famous John Sheppard," Aimee finished.

Elizabeth nodded.

"So... I'll come back for that meeting at ten, okay?" Aimee told Elizabeth.

Elizabeth nodded again, eyes still on John who'd risen from behind her desk to shake Aimee's hand.

John leaned back against Elizabeth's desk as Aimee left the room.

"What are you doing here?" Elizabeth asked him.

"What am I.... I can always leave you know... if that's what you'd like," he smirked.

"Oh no you don't!" Elizabeth countered immediately, wrapping her arms around him and resting her head against his shoulder, "You're staying exactly where you are."

She breathed in his scent, loving the familiarity of it. John in turn twisted a curl of her hair around several fingers of his right hand.

"How did you manage this?" Elizabeth whispered.

"I didn't," John mumbled into her hair, "I have no idea what's going on. Carter recalled me."

"Then I guess I have something to thank her for," Elizabeth murmured, holding onto him just a little bit tighter.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard waited in the meeting room for Sam Carter. When she finally arrived, she looked nervous and distracted. She immediately suggested they go to Colorado Springs, find a cafe and have a private chat.

The idea terrified John. He let every nightmare scenario go through his head. Everything from Elizabeth being sent back to Antarctica to the military deciding that they could just end their relationship right now, thank you very much.

When pair finally made it to a small cafe, Sam led him to the back of the room, a small table away from prying eyes and ears.

"What's going on?" John asked her nervously. "Is this about Elizabeth?"

Sam was shocked that the thought had even entered his mind. "No. No this has nothing to do with Elizabeth."

"Then what? Why the secrecy, why the trip away from the SGC to talk?"

He watched as Sam took a deep breath. "I don't think I'm coming back to Atlantis."

John tried for a reply, but closed his mouth quickly, unable to think of a suitable response.

"John?"

"Um... yeah. What's going on?"

Sam looked around the room uncomfortably, about to answer just as the waiter arrived. John ordered a coffee and a sandwich, she ordered water and a caesar salad.

"Well?" John questioned when the waiter walked away again.

Sam shrugged. "What do you want me to say?"

"A reason would be helpful," he said sarcastically.

Sam hesitated for a moment, playing with a sugar packet. "Well," she said pointedly, "I'm .. going to have a baby."

John was speechless. This was the last thing he'd expected to hear. He'd been hoping for news that the powers that be had decided to hand the city back over to civilian leadership, that Elizabeth was being restored to her leadership position.

This, though, left him with even more questions.

"Wow."

"Yeah, that's what Jack said."

"Really?"

"Yeah," she admitted with a laugh, "right after he asked me how."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The drive back to the SGC was mostly silent until they'd all but reached the facility.

"Just so you know, you're one of only a handful of people who know," Sam glanced in John's direction, trying to make eye contact while still watching the road, "I'd like to keep it that way."

"Sure," John promised. "People are already asking what's going on back on Atlantis, though."

"I can imagine."

"And they haven't told you who your replacement will be?" John asked.

"Nope. Caldwell's name's been brought up. Mitchell, too, but I doubt it'll be him."

"Hmm."

"Just so you know, I mentioned your name," Sam told him.

"I don't want it," John insisted.

"I didn't think you would."

"What about Elizabeth?"

Sam sighed. "Come on, John. You know that's not going to happen."

"Then can you transfer me back to the SGC? You know, while you're still in charge."

"I'm not in charge," Sam told him. "As soon as I told them what was going on, my position on Atlantis ended. I'm taking a short break, then I'll be heading up the scientific side of things at the SGC until the baby arrives."

"So I guess it's a wait and see thing for both of us." John said softly.

"Yup. I have no idea what they're going to do."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I told Sheppard," Sam confessed to Jack as she stood outside the SGC, phone to her ear.

"You trust him to keep it quiet?"

"Yeah, I do. I mean he might tell Elizabeth, but I know it won't go further than that."

"How did he react?"

"He was shocked," Sam admitted. "But he hid it better than you did."

"Thanks for that..."

Sam laughed. "Well, he did. He's hoping against hope that Elizabeth will be able to go back with him. I tried to let him down gently... I think he knows it's not going to happen."

"Never say never, Carter"

Sam paused, unsure how to take the comment "What does that mean?"

"I'm working on a few leadership scenarios to put to people," Jack told her.

"You think there's a way to get her back there permanently?"

"Maybe. Don't let on, though. I don't want either of them to get their hopes up."

"Okay," Sam sighed. "this isn't easy to deal with, Jack."

"I know."

"We need to figure out what we're going to do long term. Maybe I should move to Washington... forget working at the SGC."

"Up to you," Jack told her, "but my offer to resign stands, you know that."

"Out of the question. I can't have you hanging around the house getting under my feet!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Our first night back together in ages and you drag me grocery shopping," John whined.

"You should make the most of it," Elizabeth insisted. "It's not like you can just go out any time and pick up... say..." she scanned the shelf in front of them, "Corn Flakes"

"You have a point," John admitted, "I think we should grab a box of those."

Elizabeth smiled, reaching out and adding the cereal to their stash of food. "It all feels very domestic, doesn't it?"

"Yeah, It's kind of nice," John told her, nudging her shoulder.

"We'll see if you're still saying that three weeks from now," Elizabeth grinned at him, nudging him back. "I still can't believe that you're here. We'll be able to go to Matthew's fundraiser... If you want to, that is."

"If I want to? How could I resist a chance to see you all done up?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth's phone rang as she did the last of the dishes. She wiped her hands quickly, and took the offending item from John.

"Hello?"

She smiled at the voice on the other end, "I have someone here who wants to talk to you!" she whispered into the phone.

Elizabeth passed the phone to John, mouthing the word "Abby" to him.

"Hey Abs!"

He laughed, and Elizabeth could hear the shriek from her niece over the phone across the other end of the kitchen. She listened as John told Abby that he'd be around for three weeks, and that he and Elizbeth would see her in a few days.

Elizabeth didn't think she'd been this happy in months.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John had the distinct feeling he was being watched. He opened one eye just a bit, spotting Elizabeth immediately. She was leaning up on one elbow, just watching him sleep.

"What you doing?" he mumbled.

"Enjoying the view," she teased.

John smiled and closed his eyes again. "Stop watching me and get back here," he insisted, grabbing her and pulling her back down to his level.

"As much as I'd like to stay, I have to work."

John groaned, "Really? You don't want to call in sick?"

Elizabeth laughed. "Gee, what you you think they'd think if I called in sick the day after you arrived?"

"Hmm. You have a point. Just stay a few more minutes though."

Elizabeth closed her eyes and let out a sigh, "That I can do," she promised.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was surprised to hear a knock on the door, an hour or so after Elizabeth left for work.

He hurried through the house, looking briefly out the window to see if he could spot a car. It seemed Sam Carter had decided to pay him a visit.

"Did you tell her?" she asked as he opened the door.

"Tell her what?" John was genuinely confused.

Sam rolled her eyes, "About... you know.."

"Oh! About the baby? No... "

"You can," Sam told him, "I'd never expect you to keep a secret like that from her... I mean she's going to want to know what's happening, and I'm pretty sure can trust the two of you to keep it to yourselves."

"Yeah. You can." John promised. "And thanks... coffee?"

Sam groaned, "God no. Water maybe?"

"Sure," John wandered into Elizabeth's kitchen.

"Hey, nice colour on the walls," Sam glanced around the room as she followed him in.

"It's just.. yellow.." John mumbled, distractedly.

"I like it. I've always wanted a yellow kitchen."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Elizabeth's day had dragged longer than she thought possible. She'd never been one for clock watching until now. She'd spent the day willing five o'clock to come around so she could head home.

She opened the front door to her home, putting her bag and keys on the couch in the lounge area as she yelled out with a laugh "Honey, I'm home!"

"Hey!" She heard John calling from the kitchen, "I always thought of that as my line."

"Doesn't matter whose line it is, as long as one of us gets to say it each day," Elizabeth gave him a quick kiss, before looking around at the mess that was her kitchen. "What happened here?"

"Dinner... it's complicated," John sounded frustrated, "I was trying for dessert as well." He opened the oven, looking at a half cooked cake, "I think it's going to be a disaster."

"Let it cook," Elizabeth said, grabbing his hand and dragging him to sit at the table, "I'm sure it'll be perfect."

"I booked myself a ticket to LA. Got on the same flight as you on Friday," John told her. "And since the fundraiser's on Saturday night, I thought we could go shopping on Saturday morning, find you something new to go with those earrings..."

"You're offering to go shopping with me?" Elizabeth said in mock horror.

John rolled his eyes, "You say that like I'm some guy who can't cope in a shopping mall."

"I seem to remember a couple of shopping trips with Abby that didn't hold your attention too well," Elizabeth teased.

"Yeah, well I'm sure watching you try on dresses will be a lot more exciting than watching Abby pick out hoodies."

"I guess we'll see, won't we." Elizabeth smirked.

"We will," John answered. He paused, not sure where to go with what he needed to discuss with her next.

"John?" Elizabeth's concern was obvious, "Is everything okay?"

"Sure. It's fine.. I just have to tell you something, and I don't want you to get your hopes up in case it comes to nothing, okay?"

She nodded, reaching out and grasping his hand. "What is it?"

John took a deep breath, "Okay, Carter's leaving Atlantis."

Elizabeth's shock was obvious. She struggled to find something to say.

"Lizzy?"

"Yeah. Wow. That's .. unexpected."

"It is. In an ideal world for the two of us, you'd get your job back, but there's the question of our relationship now, and I think they're going to stay military. You've been mentioned, but so's Caldwell."

"Caldwell??"

"Yeah."

Elizabeth sighed, "What about you, John?"

"Carter suggested me, but I don't want it. You know I don't want it 'Lizabeth. I'd go out of my mind."

Elizabeth nodded. Suddenly the idea of them being able to be in the same galaxy seemed like a joke.

"So we go on with you there and me here, and ..."

"I asked Carter to transfer me to the SGC but she's not in charge anymore. If Caldwell gets it, I'll ask him. I don't think I'll have to beg him. He'd be happy to ship my ass back to the Milky Way."

"John, I don't want you to give up the adventure of a lifetime...."

"Lizabeth, you, me and the occasional trip through the gate leading an SG team is enough adventure for me." John told her.

"Are you sure?"

John squeezed her hand, "I'm positive."

"Okay," Elizabeth nodded. "Okay. That's at least more of a plan than we had. This is all so unexpected..."

"Oh! That reminds me, it's not the only thing that's unexpected!"

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow.

"Carter's pregnant," John said with a laugh.

"Oh my God! I can't imagine Jack's reaction to that."

"He asked her how," John told her with a grin.

Elizabeth burst out laughing.


[Reviews - 217]    Printer Chapter or Story