[Reviews - 16]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes: Thanks for the positive feedback on the last chapter! This one's betaed by the lovely and talented Oparu, without whom my speech tags would be nonexistant. *applause*


~Three weeks earlier~



Elizabeth Weir sat in her office; her hands wrapped around a steaming cup of coffee. She stared at the water out the window, her view partly obstructed by the scaffolding of the balcony. Lost in thought, she failed to notice John Sheppard leaning in her doorframe with a small smirk on his face.

He knocked lightly and she jumped, whipping her head around to face him. He grinned and launched off the doorframe, coming in without invitation. Attempting to sit on the desk, he was swatted away by Elizabeth’s hand and opted instead to straddling a chair backwards.

“Whatcha doin’?” he asked obnoxiously, trying to grab her laptop.

She put down her coffee and tried in vain to take her computer back. “I’m finishing this report before our mission. Care to read it?”

He wrinkled his nose at the scientists’ account of the newest Pegasus Galaxy technology. “Uh, I’ll pass,” he said. Handing her the laptop, he folded his arms stubbornly over the back of the chair like a petulant child.

She skimmed the text once more before realizing he hadn’t left. “Was there something you wanted, John?” she wondered.

Of all the things to come out of his mouth, she hadn’t been expecting...

“I think we should have a luau,” John announced cheerfully.

Unfortunately she’d been drinking her coffee at the same time he’d said that, and she tried (unsuccessfully) to avoid spitting it back out. Sputtering, she managed; “A- a *luau*?”

He grinned. “Yeah. A luau,” he insisted.

There was really no way to dignify this with a response. After a pause, she said; “Where?”

“On the mainland,” he responded immediately and it was evident he’d been planning this for a while. “The Athosians have drums- bongos, probably, and there’s reeds for grass skirts, and flowers for leis-”

“Grass skirts?” she asked dubiously. “You’re planning on the women wearing grass skirts?”

“Well, I suppose the men could to, if they really wanted to,” he offered. She rolled her eyes, but he continued. “And I’m sure we could find some form of a tiki bar.”

“With all our non-existant alcohol?” she demanded.

“Uh- I’m working on that," John started. "You know, the Athosians have been thinking of making moonshine, and they’ve been experimenting. And they’ve never experienced a luau.”

She tried to think of problems with this- sadly enough, she couldn’t. “A luau," she repeated. "You want to hold a luau on the mainland.”

“Yup,” he said again. His expression was akin to that of a little kid who had just thought of an incredibly brilliant idea. “A luau on the mainland.”

“And when is this going to happen?”

“Well, as soon as it’s organized-”

“And you’re going to organize it, correct?”

His expression faltered a bit, but it reasserted itself in under a second. “Yeah, or at least *mostly* by myself," John pointed out. "I’m sure Rodney will be happy to help.”

“Translation: you’ll force him into assisting," she realized. Drinking her coffee again, Elizabeth quirked an eyebrow.

“Not in so many words," John promised. "And Teyla loves learning about Earth traditions. Not to mention, Ronon would just love to dance the hula in a grass skirt.”

She had to force down her laughter, and it escaped in a smile. As ludicrous as it sounded, a luau probably would boost the spirits of almost everyone on the expedition. Just thinking about Ronon in a grass skirt and –heaven forbid- a coconut bra made Elizabeth that much closer to cracking up.

“And how are you planning on getting everyone in on the celebration?" she wondered practically. "Won’t some people be forced to stay behind to watch Atlantis?”

He shifted uncomfortably. “Well, I figured we could take shifts," John replied. "Puddlejumpers and all.” He looked up at her again with puppy-dog eyes –damn him- and pleaded. “Come on, Elizabeth. It’d be a good idea.”

“It would,” she agreed, surprising him. “As long as you plan the whole thing, and make all the arrangements.”

He nodded, almost bouncing in the chair.

“That includes shuttling people from Atlantis to the mainland, food, drinks-”

“Costumes,” he interrupted with a smirk.

“*If* they want to wear them,” she scolded.

“Am I allowed to have a tiki bar?”

She closed her eyes briefly. “People will be very upset if there’s a tiki bar and no alcohol.”

“Okay, if I *find* alcohol?” John pleaded.

She sighed and nodded. “Fine. Run with it,” she conceded. Elizabeth returned to her laptop with chagrin, determined not to look at his beaming face. She was *not* going to laugh.

He sprang up from the chair, slapping her desk. “I *told* Rodney you’d agree.” He paused in the doorway a moment and turned around. “So, what size coconut are you?”

She looked up, mortified, but he flashed her a grin, winked, and was gone.

---------------------------------------------------

John Sheppard was giddy. He’d just gotten permission from the leader of Atlantis to hold a luau, and was going to dive headfirst into the planning process. He got many odd looks as he wandered from room to room, asking around for toothpicks and paper. He got floss from the storage room because no one really flossed anyway. It’d be fine string for leis. He planned on decorating the paper and turning it into a mini umbrella to stick in the drinks, but he’d need help. Athosian children liked coloring, right?

However, he didn’t have a lot of time to dwell on these things. His team, plus Elizabeth, was leaving for a trade agreement with a society called the Aldorans. He’d been to visit them before, and now that he thought about it, they had a lot of dried reeds that would be fine fodder for skirts. He didn’t remember any coconuts, but he’d have to make do. Though they did have bushels of some sort of dried sustenance- he hadn’t quite caught the name. Rodney said it was a miracle grain, something that resisted infestation, could survive drought, and thrived with weeds in the soil. It had sounded pretty good to him, but the Aldorans weren’t simply going to give it to them. They’d insisted on seeing their leader and negotiating, and fortunately, it was the same person.

Elizabeth looked up at the Stargate with a slight nervousness. She normally didn’t go through the ‘gate, but sometimes it was necessary. She should go through it more, just to get used to the gripping cold and blurry vision. She picked absentmindedly at her tac vest, not even realizing she was opening and closing a Velcro patch right next to Ronon’s ear.

He looked at her, clearly trying to restrain himself, and she whispered a “sorry” and continued fingering her clothing. She’d really rather not wear one, but everyone had insisted. She saw their point, but still couldn’t get used to the extra weight on her torso.

The ‘gate opened, and she involuntarily stepped back as the wormhole opened. “Sheppard, you have a go,” came the technician’s voice. How odd, Elizabeth thought. That’s usually me.

As they stepped out on the other side she stumbled slightly, losing her balance on the uneven terrain. Teyla caught her arm and steadied her, and John looked back.

“Oh, sorry. I forgot to tell you there’s rocks,” he said apologetically.

She raised her eyebrows and he shrugged, trudging ahead to the Aldorans’ village.

“It’s only a short walk,” Teyla told her, letting go of her arm.

Elizabeth nodded, smiled, and followed the rest of the team.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Dun dun dun! *obnoxious dramatic music* Yeah, so my italics were being stupid and wouldn't work, so you people get asterisks instead. You know what to do! (Review, not fix my italics. Though, if you want to, feel free.)


[Reviews - 16]    Printer Chapter or Story