[Reviews - 6]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +


Let’s get outta here.

She watched him from her corner of her eye as they moved slowly back the way they had come from. Carson was peppering him with questions, all but promising to put him through the most thorough examination he’d ever undergone when they arrived back on Atlantis. When he answered only with a vague mumble, she knew he was barely paying attention to Carson’s ramblings.

It was impossible for her to imagine what he had been through. Six months had passed from his perspective and the only indication they had given that they were coming for him was a few backpacks of supplies tossed through the entrance of the time dilation field. Six months. Might as well be a lifetime for him.

Elizabeth sighed silently. In her own mind, it had just been this morning that he grabbed her outside her quarters and insisted that she eat breakfast with him before he left on his mission. Despite her desire to get an early start on assembling the weekly status report would be sent to Earth in a few days, she had acquiesced to his pleas and joined him in the mess hall for a light meal before he and his team departed.

Did he even remember their breakfast now? She had enjoyed herself, trying to keep him from stealing her bacon or melon. That had prompted her to ask teasingly how he had made Colonel when he acted as though he was ten years old tormenting everyone at the table while his mother’s back was turned. He’d then pretended to be shocked, asking how she’d known about his antics in tormenting his sisters. Yes, she had enjoyed herself. Probably a little more than she should have.

She turned her head slightly to get a better view of him. He was walking purposely towards the cliffs, but his eyes were distant, unseeing. His mind was clearly elsewhere. A part of her wanted to move over to him and draw him back from wherever he was, but she hesitated. He had obviously made friends in this place, and he had just watch them all move onto a higher plane, where he’d probably never see them again. Perhaps it would be best if she let him be, let that sink in.

Just as she was about to return her gaze to what was in front of her, awareness suddenly reappeared in his eyes. He turned his head sharply and their eyes met. She offered him a small, hesitant smile, hoping she wasn’t bothering him. She watched the look in his stare soften and he returned her smile with a little one of his own.

Never thought I’d see any of you again. Kind of even… missed you a little.

He may have only been gone a few hours from her point of view, but they were probably some of the longest hours of her life. She’d missed him too.

And that beard really was an interesting look for him.

“So, do I get to eat dinner with you tonight?”

She jumped, slightly surprised to see him now walking along side her. When she didn’t reply, he hurriedly continued, a somewhat self-depreciating expression on his bearded face.

“I’ll try not to steal your food.”

He remembered.

She laughed. “If Carson releases you, then yes.”

“And if he doesn’t?” The pout in his tone was palatable.

“Then I’ll bring something to the infirmary for you. You won’t starve.”

He grinned at her, looking pleased, and then turned to say something to Rodney. She smiled and shook her head. She was glad he was all right.


[Reviews - 6]    Printer Chapter or Story