[Reviews - 2]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +


The nurse jumped up, not expecting the sudden movement. “Colonel Sheppard?”

When she did not get answer, she called for Carson.

“Colonel Sheppard?”

Still nothing, as Carson and the nurse got him to lay back down again.

“Monitor him, and let me know if anything changes.”

Carson then went off to radio Dr. Weir. “Dr. Weir?”

“Yes Carson.” Her voice hoarse from talking, and full of emotion.

“Are you alright my dear? You don’t sound to good.”

”I am fine Carson, what’s going on?”

“There has been a change in Colonel Sheppard’s condition, I think you should come down to the infirmary.”

“On my way.”

A million things were running through her head on her trek to the infirmary, is he worse? Did he wake? By the time she made it, her stomach was in knots and she felt a headache coming on.

“How is he?” Elizabeth said in a rush as she entered the room.

“Come on, let’s talk in here.”

“Carson?”

“His vitals are improving, but he sat right up before, like he was in a trance.”

“So?”

“He should not have been able to do that Elizabeth, with his internal injuries, any one else would have been in pain.”

“Well he does have a high tolerance for pain Carson.”

“This is beyond that Elizabeth, I am worried.”

“Is he awake?”

“Not right at the moment.”

She looked over at the bed Colonel Sheppard was occupying, and then back to Carson, “Can I sit with him?”

“Aye. I think it might be good for him. But he needs his rest.”

Nodding she turned on her heal and slowly walked over to his bed. Standing at the foot of the bed, she watched him for a moment before taking the chair next to him.

Elizabeth sat there for a long while, Teyla had come in to see if she was alright, and soon left her. Rodney had come in, against his better judgment after being released from the infirmary a few hours before.

“Should you be up Rodney?”

“Shouldn’t you be resting?”

“I just…”

“I know, me too.”

They sat there in silence for a few moments before she spoke. “How did it get this bad Rodney, he looks awful.”

“Well besides the obvious wounds he has….”

“Rodney please, not now.”

“Don’t you know Elizabeth?”

The blank look on her face gave him his answer.

“While you were gone, I helped him as much as I could. He wouldn’t it, he was firm on saying that he could do this by himself, he didn’t need anyone. I don’t think he slept at all, always working.”

“What else?” She wanted to know, but she didn’t.

“I don’t think I ever saw him eat, well besides a few power bars here and there. I know I asked him to join us for meals, but he flat out refused.”

“I see.”

“We were all worried Elizabeth.”

“Why didn’t you contact me earlier?”

“Why? Because you needed a break, we all do at some point. And you had reached yours. Carson said you were doing better, and Sheppard, he wouldn’t let us unless it was an emergency.”

“Stubborn.” She whispered and looked back over to John.

“Just as much as you are.”

That brought a small smile to her face.

“You need to talk to him Elizabeth, get over what ever happened, get through whatever is going on now.”

“I know.”
“Then what is stopping you?”

“I don’t know.”

“I think you do know, and so does he.” Was all Rodney said before he got up and left her to her thoughts.

How had she gotten herself in this deep? What went wrong? How could he do this to himself, to her?

‘This is all my fault’ she thought to herself as she rest her head on the side of the bed. She knew that she wanted more, she knew or hoped that he did as well.

If she learned anything from her days away on the mainland, is that life is to short, you need to enjoy every moment. ‘Please be alright John, I need you more then ever now.’

Slowly she reached her fingers out and gently wrapped them around his, as her eyes closed. Sleep overcame her within moments, and so did the dreams.

Waking with a start, Colonel Sheppard looked around, recognized the beeps and other noises from the infirmary. He felt movement to his left, and tried to look to the source, but was choked back by pain shooting through his body.

“Owww.” He whispered to no one but himself, but Carson had heard him.

“Colonel Sheppard, good to see you awake. You gave us quite a scare son.”

“Why are you talking so quietly?”

“Dr. Weir, son, she has been here since you woke up several hours ago.”

“Well shouldn’t you wake her up?”

“Aye, I should.”

“Dr. Weir? Elizabeth?” He gently shook her shoulder.

“Carson? What? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing Lass, Colonel Sheppard is awake.”

“John?”

“Right, argh…here.”

“How are you feeling?”

He just stared at her for a moment, “I am okay.”

Carson snorted, “Colonel Sheppard, we are lucky to have you still here with us.”

“I am fine Doc.”

“Aye, let me be the judge of that, I want to do an examination now to se ehow you are really holding up.”
“I’ll take that as my queue to leave. Glad to have you back with us Colonel.” Elizabeth said as she turned and left the men there.

“What’s with her?” Sheppard asked between coughs.

“You have to ask?”

Sheppard looked at him funny for a moment, and closed his eyes when Carson started poking at his ribs.

“Ow Doc., be careful.”

“You Colonel Sheppard need to learn a few things about women.”


[Reviews - 2]    Printer Chapter or Story