[Reviews - 8]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +


Title: The First Year
By Atri/ Chiara Crawford


RATING: PG

WARNINGS: None

CATEGORY: Introspective

PAIRING: hints of Sparky

ARCHIVES: ff.net, Command Dynamics

SPOILERS: Season One: Rising

SUMMARY: The first year was perhaps the most important of them all.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Stargate: Atlantis.
I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

__________________________________________________________

Sweat pours down powerful muscles, as she flows through the movements, her banto sticks cutting the air with precision. Up. Down. Strike. The wave of thoughts crashing through her mind stills until there is only calmness and peace left. For the first time since the strangers – now friends – had appeared in their camp, she has time to think, to contemplate.

It had been a frightening experience. Soldiers with very advanced weapons, not knowing what the Wraith were, not afraid to face them in battle and so very, very open with their intentions… She had never met such people before. Not wanting to see that innocence vanish in the face of the horrors of Pegasus, she had told them to go home, away to that place where no Wraith could find them, secretly wishing that kind of existence for her people as well.

Then, disaster had struck and she saw what she had feared come to pass. The dead eyes of Sheppard after failing to save his commander… She still doesn’t know what happened in that room, what Sheppard had seen, but knowing the Wraith, it must have been horrible.

Now they are here, she and her people, in the city of the Ancestors. As a child she had heard stories about it, but she never believed such a place to truly exist. The high towers reaching into the sky, water all around them and sunshine caressing the city like a dear old friend. Once upon a time, she imagines, the cities of old on Athos have looked the same. There is sorrow in that realization, but also a glimmer of hope. Here, in Atlantis, there are possibilities for her people. Possibilities to be great again, to stand up for their right to live and not only exist as cattle waiting to be culled.

Her movements begin to slow until she is motionless again. As her mind speeds up, her perception broadens, recognizing the presence of another behind her. She turns around and sees the leader of their new friends standing politely in the doorway.

In the last week, she has seen much of Elizabeth Weir and her qualities as a commander. Her people follow her, look up to her and for now she doesn’t disappoint. Still, Teyla knows that being the person others follow is not an easy job and she sees the strains of that burden in Weir.

“Forgive me,” Weir smiles hesitantly, almost chagrined, “I did not want to interrupt.”

“You did not.” She reassures Weir. Then, she looks closer. It is not coincidence that has brought the other woman here. Perhaps Elizabeth Weir is not aware of the reason, but Teyla believes that this is an opportunity she cannot miss. “Maybe you would like to join me?” There is hesitation in Weir’s eyes, as Atlantis’ leader considers the invitation. “I find the movements of the banto sticks relax me. It is a good way to meditate.”

In the end, Weir does join her. There are a lot of mistakes in the way she holds the sticks or in certain movements, but Weir – “call me Elizabeth” – is a fast learner and Teyla is an even better teacher. Finally, they move together, as one, and Teyla can see the leader’s body relax into the motions, can feel the worries ebb away.

It is much later that both women are sitting outside on a balcony, cups of green tea Elizabeth has brought with her from Earth in their hands. The taste is pleasant, as is the company. It is the beginning of a friendship. Of that, Teyla has no doubt. She knows why Elizabeth has sought her out. She is a fellow woman, leader of her people. Teyla understands the burdens that come with such a position.

“This was great. We should do it again.” Elizabeth says, before standing up, straightening and falling back into the role of strong and competent leader of Atlantis. It is as much a façade as it is a part of her, Teyla knows.

“Yes, we should.” She confirms and both smile before they part ways. This relationship, she figures, will be one of equals.

Teyla turns towards the open sea, marveling at the beauty of the Ancestors’ home. The sun illuminates the city in a glowing light, making it seem as eternal as time.

Her body tingles and she recognizes that feeling as a wild and unbendable hope she has never felt before. Together, they will make this city great again. Greater than ever before. And someday…yes, someday, her people will truly know peace.


[Reviews - 8]    Printer Chapter or Story