[Reviews - 27]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes: The scenes she played through her head, keeping Atlantis alive, weren't the same as being there, walking through its hallowed halls...


She knew the worst now, and the best. Knew the guilt he felt, the precarious position their situation had put their future selves in, how Atlantis had been exposed to repeat versions of herself.

Replicated and corrupted.

She wandered the halls, ostensibly re-familiarising herself with a city so indelibly marked on her mind and her heart, that she could never forget the layout of each floor. They'd finally turned her loose, and she was rapidly on the mend, although something felt wrong, as if a subtle shift were taking place somewhere inside.

If John's version of the future held true, her nanites would be no longer as effective as they had once been, and her own current state of health held testimony to that. Merging with a computer, pulling data from the 'Gate systems... that should have taken no effort, and yet her future self was frequently exhausted by such simple tasks.

Oddly, it made her feel better, as if she were closer to human than to Asuran. It gave her hope that, if [i]she[/i] believed it, maybe she could sell it to the IOA, the AirForce and whoever else she needed to convince that she was back.

No lie, no replication, no corruption.

No risk.

She sighed, stepping into the open air and leaning on the rail of an observation balcony to look out over unfamiliar seas. Maybe she was being a little too optimistic there. It took her future self [i]years[/i]to occupy a place of authority in Atlantis. If she took even one step out of line, it was possible the whole future would shift and she wouldn't even be able to stay here, let alone govern the city.

There was so much to consider, and calculating the odds of possible futures was more tiring than she remembered.

A light step sounded behind her, and she knew who it was before they spoke. Familiarity washed over her, she had spent years keeping the images and memories of the people from Atlantis alive in her mind. This particular presence was so familiar; she wasn’t surprised by the voice.

'How are you today?'

'Much better, thank you,' Elizabeth turned to face the Athosian woman, her golden eyes wide and calm as she regarded the former leader of Atlantis. Weir allowed Teyla the time to absorb an extended impression of her. Seemingly satisfied, the other woman joined her, lifting her face to the cloudy sky.

'I am glad you have returned, as many people of the city are. I wanted to you to know. Mr Woolsey has been less than.... welcoming?'

Elizabeth grinned, running her fingers through wind-swept hair. 'I know. I don't blame him, not after what John told me. It's a lot to take in, and not very pleasant, but it must have been worse for you and the others, having to live it.'

'I cannot say that we were glad to find you once more. I feared the worst, and with my son in the city... But I also feared for John. He carried, still carries, the burden of guilt over your abduction. I was not sure if he could take your reappearance again. Every time we lost you, he grieved.'

'Sheppard?'

'He cares for you, Elizabeth, more than you know. More than I think he knows. When we found you, he refused to leave you alone, calling in reinforcements instead of reporting to Atlantis. I was... concerned.'

Weir nodded, 'I understand, Teyla, but why are you telling me this?'

'I have not often seen John irrational. I believe he was driven by guilt, and I think you can alleviate that. I wanted you to be aware of the situation. And, of course,' she went on, her mouth curving into a smile, 'I am glad to see you looking so well. I have not had a chance to talk to you properly. Will you join us for dinner one evening soon?'

'I think I can say a very definite yes to that.'

'Good,' Teyla stepped forward with a warm hug, 'it is good to have you back, Elizabeth, our hearts were empty without you.'

Tears burned behind her eyes, but Elizabeth refused to let them fall. She wrapped her arms tightly around the Athosian woman for a moment before letting go, almost unwilling to lose the contact with another person. Teyla sensed her unease and gripped her arm with firm fingers in silent understanding.

They stood there for some time, with only silence for company whilst the wind chased clouds across the sky.


Chapter End Notes: This story is being edited and reuploaded before being finished.

[Reviews - 27]    Printer Chapter or Story