[Reviews - 7]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +


Chapter 7 - Reality Check




I got tired of wondering when or even if he would return, so after four hours I left the command center advising them that I would be off radio. I think Peter saw through my act but didn’t give it away how upset I really was. He even said he heard Dr. Beckett threaten me if I didn’t take a day off.


I grabbed my dance stuff and was almost at my hideaway when Peter called me over the radio to let me know that Major Sheppard had returned. He told Major Sheppard to turn in his report within 48 hours and to report for a medical exam.


Peter is too good to me sometimes. Why couldn’t I have fallen for a guy like him? I think he is just being protective of me which is kind of sweet. I need someone like him but he is spoken for or will be soon. I heard Dr. Sheila Fisher has the hots for Peter which is good because they are both nice people.




The next afternoon Teyla found Elizabeth walking towards the mess hall and asked if she could join her for lunch. Elizabeth and Teyla couldn’t help but notice a lone figure having lunch by himself and in a quiet corner of the mess hall. Everyone left him alone since he looked as if he didn’t want any company. After lunch Elizabeth and Teyla were walking around the city when Teyla made a suggestion that took Elizabeth by surprise.


“Elizabeth, if you want to join Athar and her people then we will separate from you so you can fulfill your destiny.”


“What?!! Teyla, you and your people are our friends and our allies. We never walk away from our friends or allies,” with her stressing the word ‘never’. “As for our destiny, we believe that we make your own destiny and our destiny seems to be intertwined with you and your people. We are not remotely interested in parting company with you and your people. Please rest assure that we value you and your friendship dearly.”


Teyla’s eyes had begun to water up and Elizabeth knew that it took a lot for Teyla to make that offer. Elizabeth was glad she was adamant about stressing how they do not forsake their friends. Right now she was in the mood to kick some ass and that ass belonged to Major John Sheppard. She knew it was his actions towards Chaya made Teyla feel this way and she assured Teyla this was not how anyone else felt.


Teyla bowed her head towards Elizabeth and asked her to do the same so their foreheads touched. She reminded Elizabeth that this was a sign of trust and faith among her people. Elizabeth was touched by this action.


As Elizabeth walked back to her room she was bound and determined to kick a certain Major’s ass right now. He had brought Teyla and her people here and now he made them feel unwanted which didn’t sit well with her.


The next morning she was up bright and early and ready to tackle the mounds of paperwork on her desk. Okay so she really didn’t have paperwork, they were e-mails but they still contained a lot of reports.


She had been working for a couple of hours when an instant message came up from Major Sheppard. It advised her that he was having difficulty trying to save the report he was working on and his system wouldn't save it no matter how he tried. He asked if she could come down that and see that he did his report and he would try it again from another computer. Reluctantly Elizabeth stood up and informed the command center that she would be out of office for a few minutes but would be right back.


When she arrived in Major Sheppard’s office noticing the room was dimly lit and he looked as if he hadn’t gotten very much sleep. Well she was not going to let his ‘poor little me’ look affect her, she was still ticked off about what he did.


“Major Sheppard, what seems to be the problem with your report?”


“Ah I just got it copied onto this flash drive,” and handed her a flash drive.


Elizabeth took the flash drive and started to leave the office when he called out to her.


“Elizabeth, do you have a minute? I think we need to talk.”


She looked at her watch and saw she did had some time before her first briefing. Elizabeth sat down on a chair in his office and placed her hands in her lap waiting for him to say something but he didn’t so she decided to start it for him.


“What’s on your mind Major?”


“I don’t know how to say this very well so I’ll just say it. I’m sorry.”


She sat there patiently waiting for him to say something else but he didn’t say anything else. Finally after about fifteen seconds she stood up and asked him if that was all he had to say and he just shrugged his shoulders.


“Just what are you sorry about Major? Are you sorry about running off and chasing after Chaya like a love struck teenager? Are you sorry that your chasing after her might have brought us more unwanted attention from the Wraith just because you wanted to go play hero? Are you sorry that you risked loosing one of our Puddle Jumpers?

Are you sorry that we popped your little fantasy bubble by exposing the truth about your girlfriend? Are you sorry that you objected to us doing our best to look out for the welfare of this expedition while you played touchy feely with a woman who is over 10,000 years old?

Are you sorry that you made Teyla feel as if she and her people were no longer our friends because your new girlfriend didn’t want anything to do with the actual inhabitants of the Pegasus Galaxy?

Or are you sorry that you returned to Atlantis, because if you want to go back to Proculus so badly I will arrange for someone to pilot you there and leave the two of you alone. So tell me Major, what are you sorry for?”


Yet despite everything that she had just asked, he had yet to reply to any of her questions. After a few seconds of silence Elizabeth decided that she had enough of his nonsense and growled loudly as she stood up and started for the door. She turned as she had reached the door to speak to him.


“Major since you are obviously unhappy here I will have Stackhouse shuttle you back to Proculus. You have three hours to pack your bags and say your goodbyes to your friends.”


After saying this Elizabeth opened the door and exited his office with an obvious full head of steam. Heaven help anyone that dared get in her path.


Suddenly someone grabbed her arm and spun her around and before she knew what was happening she was thrown over Major Sheppard’s shoulders. He was walking her back to his office but she was determined to free herself from him so she started kicking him with her feet as well as beating him on his back with her closed fists and yelling at him to put her down.


He dumped her on his desk and rushed over to the door panel where he removed the face plate and one of the crystals. By the time he did this Elizabeth was up and trying to get out the door. He saw the anger in her eyes and backed away from her and luckily he backed away fast enough to avoid getting a fist in the face.


“Major Sheppard, in case you’ve forgotten I’m the leader of Atlantis and I give the orders around here. So I’m ordering you to open this door right now!”


Upon seeing that he was not going to do it Elizabeth reached up to her ear to key her radio and request some help. Unfortunately she wasn’t quick enough because Sheppard yanked the radio from her ear and turned it off and jumped back again in time to avoid being struck by her fist.


“You’ve had your say and now I’m going to have my say so just sit down and shut up.” He walked back and forth for a couple of steps before speaking.


“No I’m not sorry that I returned to Atlantis. Up until a few minutes ago I believed that Atlantis was my home but now you’re throwing and for what?

All I did was share myself with her and it has me kind of mixed up in the head. What do you mean I endangered Atlantis, how did I endanger Atlantis? And what’s this crap about Chaya being my girlfriend and her snubbing Teyla, what is this high school?”


“Apparently you must be more touched in the head from the sharing that you realize Major. Her intentions were obvious to everyone around you and Chaya even admitted it later, she came here for you ‘John’. She didn’t come here for anyone else.

Yet what really confuses me is how she is protecting the people of her planet here in the Pegasus galaxy but she won’t help anyone else. Though she willing to let you into her little love nest and protect you, to hell with everyone else.

As for this sounding like high school shenanigans well then you should understand it perfectly since you’re acting like a love sick teenager.”


“And you sound like a spurned lover.”


The slap across his face took him by surprise. He looked up and based on the look in Elizabeth’s eyes he knew that he had gone too far with his comments.


“Major Sheppard I am not the spurned lover but rather the leader of the Atlantis expedition which you seem to have forgotten on too many occasions. I am responsible for what the lives of these people as well as for those of the Anthosians since we have become their friends.

Until I hear from Earth stating otherwise I am still the leader. As the leader I am also your boss and you will obey my orders.”


“Okay boss so tell me what I’ve done wrong.” John said with his voice dripping with sarcasm.


“If you aren’t mature enough to figure that out on your own then maybe I made a mistake in making you the military leader. If you truly wish to stay in Atlantis Major Sheppard I suggest you make an attitude adjustment because everyone, including me are tired of you moping around here. Now I strongly suggest you put that crystal back into the door panel and let me out of this room.”


He put the crystal back in place and the door opened but before she walked completely out of the room she stopped and spoke to him in a soft voice.


“Major if you’re wondering where to start on changing things, I would strongly suggest you consider speaking to Teyla and reassuring her that you want her on your team and in Atlantis. Because of your actions she was willing to sacrifice their friendship with us if it would allow us to be associated with the Ancient ones. I reassured her that we don’t leave our friends behind. So unless I’m wrong about your credo and belief, I believe you need to apologize to her.”


With this Elizabeth turned and left John’s office. She was a few steps out of her office when she saw Teyla and she was pretty sure that Teyla as well as those in the hallway were able to hear their shouting but she didn’t care. What was said had to be said to Sheppard. He needed a major reality check or a smack to the head. Oh wait a minute she just gave him a good smack.


As she walked back to her office she felt her headache coming on strong so she made a detour to the infirmary to pick up another bottle of ibuprofen from Carson. She hated the fact that she was having to rely on these more and more to relieve the pain from all of her headaches. She was tired of living with the constant dull ache in her head.



It’s been several days since I spoke my peace to Sheppard and apparently some of it sunk in because the attitude of the entire expedition seems to have lightened up. I’m still wondering whether or not he made the right decision to stay here in Atlantis because occasionally he seems to be distracted. I wish I could affect a man like that but I never have and I never will so I guess that’s the end of that.


At least things between Teyla and Sheppard seem to be on the mend. The other day I noticed she was carrying a flower and I believe that is Sheppard’s way making it up to her. That just goes to confirm all of the rumors in the city. Now that Chaya is out of the way Sheppard’s attention is once again focused on Teyla.


On an up note, I found a chocolate bar in my desk drawer the other day. It was odd because no one seemed to know anything about it. I put it to good use and passed on taking ibuprofen on that day.




The next day as Elizabeth walked into her office seeing some papers hiding something so she lifted the papers and found a couple of chocolate bars. Just at that time Peter walked in with a cup of coffee. She thanked him for the coffee and the chocolate which made him look at her oddly.


She said the other day she found a chocolate bar in her desk drawer and pulled open the drawer to show him. When she looked in she found a several chocolate kisses and thanked him again for the candy. Peter stated he didn’t do it.


Elizabeth spotted a note by the candy and read it.


‘Chocolate kisses to kiss away your headache. Chocolate is much better for headaches.’


Just then it dawned on her that Carson must be behind this. A moment later Carson entered her office.


“Hello luv. How about a morning bun to go with that coffee?” Carson stated.


Elizabeth took the plate and thanked him for the bun and the chocolate and saw his eyes open wide.


“What chocolate? Unfortunately I finished my chocolate last month. I sorry I didn’t share it with you, but I just couldn’t help myself.”


Elizabeth asked Carson who could have done this pointing to the chocolate in her drawer and he assured her that he didn’t do it. He read the note and blushed stating that it looks like someone has a crush on her. Elizabeth grabbed the note and told him that he was crazy and Peter piped in and said it sure looks that way to him.


Carson said she should hide her chocolate before words gets out that she has some and everyone starts storming her office. She shooed both men out and then sat down and slid her hidden candy bars into the top drawer and locked it. No one was getting her chocolate.


Across the command center a pair of eyes twinkled at seeing how she reacted to the chocolate that was left for her and he smiled.



Every day I find either a chocolate kiss or a candy bar hidden some where on or in my desk, even in the locked drawer. A part of me wants to find out who is leaving it but I hope I never find out. I know who ever is doing this can’t keep this up very long because soon he’ll be out of candy.


Maybe I’ll save a bar and share it with him when he finally reveals his identity to me. So what makes me think it is a guy? What woman in her right mind would give up chocolate when there was virtually no chance in hell of getting more anytime in the near future? I wish I could kiss my mystery chocolate man for making me feel this good.




-tbc


[Reviews - 7]    Printer Chapter or Story