[Reviews - 20]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes: The long wait goes on to see if Elizabeth has the strength to pull free from her peaceful sleep, and be thrown back into the the pain and horror that consciousness will bring.


CHAPTER 13

The short journey by air ambulance was quickly and efficiently undertaken. It had been decided, that this was the safest and easiest way, ensuring there was room for the portable ventilator and other equipment, necessary for the medical staff to continue their observation, and monitoring, of Elizabeth’s condition.

It seemed no time at all, before Elizabeth was settled comfortably, in a private room with in the infirmary of Stargate Command. The room they had organised for her was adjacent to Carson’s office, this way he could monitor Elizabeth closely, but at the same time still carry out any other important tasks.

The staff from Stargate Command, especially the ones who knew, or had worked with Elizabeth, were visibly shocked at the terrible injuries inflicted on Elizabeth. Everyone present, wanted to contribute, in some small way to Elizabeth recovery.

General Laundry had ensured the infirmary was adequately prepared for Elizabeth arrival, having conversed with Carson and the infirmary staff, before her transfer was arranged.

Although the Atlantis team had to resume their duties, it had been arranged for them to remain within the SGC base, allowing them to continue visiting Elizabeth on a regular basis. This meant their vigil at Elizabeth’s bedside could continue.

Carson monitored Elizabeth’s condition closely, fearful that the journey may have been detrimental to her recovery. After a couple of days however, it was obvious that her condition had not only remained stable, but also appeared to be improving, all be it slowly. Carson decided it was now time to gradually reduce the level of Elizabeth’s sedation, allowing her a slow journey back to consciousness.

Recent tests had shown Elizabeth’s damaged lung had healed well enough, for the ventilator to be removed. Thankfully Elizabeth was now able breath on her own, and they were all waiting with abated breath for her to awaken.

Carson had warned them however, that there was a chance Elizabeth may not regain consciousness, and would remain in her present comatose state indefinitely. He instructed her visitors to talk quietly to her, hoping their voices would guide Elizabeth along the path to consciousness.

John was sitting deep in thought, in the infirmary one night , whilst Jack, who was keeping him company, dozed in the chair. It was almost two weeks, since Elizabeth's sedation had been stopped altogether, and still she showed no siqn of coming round.

John sighed, thinking how tedious the day had been. He found the days long, and boring, having being used to going off world on a regular basis. He longed to be back on Atlantis, to resume their missions to find allies or confirm alliances.

There was one thing however, that John missed more than anything else, something John had taken for granted, until it had gone. This was the site of Elizabeth waving them off, whilst trying hard to hide her apprehension, as they got ready to depart through the stargate. The relief of knowing Elizabeth would be waiting to greet them, when they returned some time later, seeing her look of apprehension replaced by one of joy and relief, as she realised they had returned home safely. The most special moment of all however, was the look she reserved only for him, her green eyes sparking with emotion, as their eyes found each other across the room. This had been one of the hardest things to deal with when Elizabeth had left Atlantis. He would instinctively look for her, only for his heart to shatter once again as reality hit him.

John realised he needed to stop dwelling on the past, it was gone, finished with. Instead he tried to relax, observing how peaceful the infirmary was at this time of night, in fact he realised in surprise, it was actually the small hours of the morning. He could see Carson trying to concentrate on something in his office. John couldn’t disguise the smirk on his face, as he watched Carson’s head sink, every so often, as he vainly tried to fight of his drowsiness.

The conversation he had held earlier with Carson, worried him however. When John had asked, if there had been any improvement in Elizabeth condition, he observed the worried frown that appeared on Carson’s face, before he quickly tried to disguise it. Carson had finally admitted to John, that he was becoming extremely concerned, as the days went by, that despite being free from the effects of sedation, Elizabeth still showed no signs of regaining consciousness. He gently explained to John, that her chances of a full recovery were reducing, with every day, she remained in a coma.

John eventually gave into the comfort of sleep himself. Sometime later he wakened with a start, something had disturbed him, but he wasn’t sure what. Looking around, John noticed everything remained quiet, and Carson was still in his office.

I must have been dreaming muttered John.

Moving about in the chair, whilst trying to get comfortable, john was surprised to find he was still holding Elizabeth’s hand. He was just about to place it under the bedcovers to keep it warm, when he realised what had disturbed him previously. He sat quietly for a moment, not sure if he had imagined it, but then he realised with wondrous relief, it was happening again. John looked at the hand he was holding in amazement, as Elizabeth weakly tightened her hold on john’s hand, whilst at the same time her eyes lids fluttered.

“Elizabeth .... ! Jack you awake? l think l felt Elizabeth squeeze my hand,” John said in astonishment.

Jumped up suddenly Jack was jolted out of his sleepiness. “What... is she finally coming round?”

“l not sure but l don’t think l imagined it, l am telling you she squeezed my hand,” replied John.

“l am going for Carson,” Jack relied anxiously, “just in case.”

It didn’t take Jack long to return with Carson in tow. By this time it was evident, there was definitely some change in Elizabeth, as a frown appeared on her pale face.

As Carson approached Elizabeth’s bedside, he noticed she was trying to open her eyes, but looked to be in some discomfort. She was obviously distressed by the bright lights, her eyes obviously not used to the brightness, after being surrounded for so long by darkness.

He quickly moved to dim the lights, but not before Elizabeth whimpered, her voice weak and hoarse, “hurting.”

“I know sweetheart just give your eyes time to adjust” Jack said gently trying to comfort her.

They were overjoyed to see that although dazed and bewildered, Elizabeth was finally awake.

John stepped back slightly to allow Carson access to Elizabeth bedside. Elizabeth in her confusion, and obviously irritated by it, was trying to pull the oxygen tubing away from her face.

“Easy there with that lass” cautioned Carson. “You need to leave that in place for the moment as least.”

With the assistance of Jack, he gently eased Elizabeth up slightly, holding an ice chip for her to suck on.

“Slowly does it now warned Carson “we don’t want your stomach to rebel against it lass.”

After allowing Elizabeth the comfort of the moisture, from the chip, they gently helped her lie down again.

“Where am l...?” Elizabeth asked in obvious confusion, her voice barely a whisper.

Elizabeth was trying to recall something, she knew she should remember it, but everything was jumbled up. Her brain felt sluggish and refused to cooperate.

“There’s plenty of time for that, when you have rested and are stronger,” Carson gently scolded her. “Right now what you need is rest. Now shut your eyes and try and get some sleep,” although he realised, as he said it, she was already drifting off again.

John looked at him in concern.

“Now there no need for you to worry about the lass,” Carson informed them. “She is only sleeping, and that is the best treatment she can get right now. She should sleep through till morning, so why don’t you get some sleep also. Come back fully refreshed in the morning, you’ll be no use to her otherwise.”

John stood up; he had to get away, feeling an overpowering need to find somewhere where he could be alone. He was feeling overwhelmed by the many emotions running through his head.

He knew that Elizabeth’s sudden recovery, from the coma she had been in, had been the cause, wrenching his suppressed emotions out into the open. It was one thing to sit with Elizabeth whilst she was unconscious, but he didn’t know if he could cope when she was awake, what would say to her.

He was fearful that his feelings of anger, at what she had put him through would once again become obvious, that he would be unable to hide these feelings. He didn’t want to be the one who would cause her furthering suffering. John knew Elizabeth had always been able to feel and see what he was thinking. He couldn’t put her through that. She had people that cared for her, who would help her through the trauma of her ordeal, she didn’t need him.

Jack frowned as John left the infirmary, he could see something was wrong, but didn’t know what. He thought John would be over the moon now Elizabeth was sleeping peacefully.

Turning to Carson he asked, “What was that all about, you would think he would be happy for Elizabeth.”

“I am sure he is,” replied Carson. “It’s just he doesn’t know how to deal with it yet. Remember the circumstances were dire the last time John spoke with Elizabeth. He was left devastated by her actions.”

“l understand that,” said Jack, but he seemed to be coping l don’t see what’s changed.

“The fact that she has wakened up, that is what’s changed,” said Carson sadly. He could pretend when he didn’t have to look into her eyes, when he didn’t have to talk to her. Suddenly that has changed, and his safety net has been yanked away from him.”

“You know him better than l do Carson. Do you think he will find a way to deal with this, a way that will allow him to still support Elizabeth?” questioned Jack.

“I wish l could say in all honesty that he will, but l have grave doubts,” replied Carson. “The worst thing, is that of all us, John is probably the one person, who can get Elizabeth through this hell she faces. If she comes to realise he can’t bear to be with her, l feel it will cause her even greater pain.”

Sighing Jack said “only time will tell, unfortunately there’s nothing we can do tonight. Look l would rather stay with Elizabeth, l really don’t want to leave her yet. Why don’t you take the chance of catching up on some sleep, Elizabeth’s your only patient at the moment. I think she would be less distressed, when she awakens in the morning, to see you are there, rather than if it were one of the other doctors.”

“I suppose you have got a point there,” answered Carson reluctantly.

“Go Carson, it’s not as if you’re that far away,” Jack told him irritably. “l think l can cope with a sleeping Elizabeth just fine.”

“Ok as long as you’re sure Jack,” said Carson just a trifle worried. “If she has you concerned, in the slightest, wake me up.”

Jack just waved him away with his hand, and Carson taking the hint, took Jack up on his advice, retiring for some much needed sleep.

Jack sat back down beside Elizabeth, softly stroking a rebel curl back from her face, whilst taking care not to disturb her. He was relieved, that she was sleeping peacefully, for the time being. Jack realised her peace would be destroyed, when the full horror of the circumstances hit her, and he was sure hit her it would.

Thinking back to the conversation with Carson, Jack realised with despair, how true Carson’s words were. Jack was probably the only one, who knew how devastated Elizabeth had been on losing john. He dreaded to think the affect it would have on her recovery, if she realised john was close by, but didn’t want to see her.

He could only hope that somehow, there was a way through this mess, for two people who together could achieve great things, but apart were lost without the other.


Chapter End Notes: next chapter: Elizabeth has to face the reality of what has befallen her.

[Reviews - 20]    Printer Chapter or Story