[Reviews - 58]    Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes: Next chapter is up... And someone returns home...


Part 18: Returning home

“Elizabeth!!” Rodney clapped his hands and ran over to her, wrapping his arms around her and nearly lifting her off the ground. “I’m so glad our strike worked.”
She had just beamed down from the Daedelus and was immediately surrounded by her friends.
“Rodney, don’t choke her.” Carson laughed. “Don’t forget the state she’s in.”
“The state I’m in?” She raised her eyebrows and looked at Carson.
“Right. Nearly forgot.” Rodney said and carefully let go of her. “Sorry about that. Just glad you’re back.”
“No problem Rodney. It’s good to be back.” Elizabeth smiled and turned back to Carson. “So, state hé?”
“Aye, being pregnant is a state you’re in. Whether you like it or not.”
“I have absolutely no problem with being pregnant.” She smiled, walked over to Carson and wrapped her arms around him. “I missed you, old friend.”
“I missed you too, lass.” He let go off her and held her at arms-length, looking at her intently and eyeing her stomach that was clearly showing now. Then he caught the golden shine on her finger. “What’s that?” He asked surprised and took her hand in his. “Did you get married?”
“Yes.” Elizabeth smiled.
“No way!” Rodney gasped.
“Congratulations.” Teyla said and hugged Elizabeth.
“Yeah, Congrats.” Ronon grinned and hugged her too.
“So, who’s the lucky man?” Rodney asked, his curiosity peaking.
“John, of course.” Elizabeth said, almost offended that he would think she’d marry anyone else but John.
“Well, lass, you have to admit that the two of you didn’t leave here under the best of circumstances.”
“I know, Carson. But we talked about it, made up and then he asked me to marry him. I said yes, of course.”
“You didn’t invite us?” Rodney asked, sounding a bit hurt.
“It all went a bit fast.” Elizabeth admitted. “My mom barely made it on time. But don’t worry, we promised each other we’d do it all over when we got back here.”
Rodney grinned but then became serious again. “So, where is he?” A panicked look got over him. “Oh no, don’t tell me he wasn’t allowed to return because we didn’t demand his return.”
“No Rodney.” She said and patted his shoulder. He didn’t have to know the truth about the decision of the SGC. It was a moot point anyway and it would only make the scientist feel bad.“Not at all.” Sighing she continued. “John went MIA a month and a half ago together with 15 others while on an off-world mission. They’re looking for them nearly 24/7, but there is no trace to follow, so the rescue mission isn’t that successful so far.”
“Oh, love, I’m so sorry.” Carson said and hugged her again. “If you ever need to talk, you know where to find me.” He whispered in her ear and she nodded.
“Thank you, Carson.”

Adjusting to the daily routine of Atlantis had been easy for Elizabeth and after merely two weeks it felt like she had never left at all. But leading the expedition, now colony, without John by her side was a whole different matter. Only now she realized how much she depended on his knowledge and insight. Lorne did a decent job filling in for the Colonel, but it just wasn’t the same.
The fact that Atlantis was now a colony had instantly changed the whole mood in the city. Couples had immediately started springing out in the open and the first wedding in the city was already being planned. Elizabeth smiled as she remembered the red-faced lieutenant who had come into her office only 2 days after she had made the announcement about Atlantis turning into a colony and the advantages coming with it. He had asked her permission to marry one of the botanists and Elizabeth had gladly given her blessing. The relief and gratefulness on the young man’s face made her smile grow.
“Elizabeth?” Carson’s voice through her earpiece made her wake up from the memory.
“Yes, Carson?” She answered as she tapped the communicator.
“Don’t forget the appointment for your check-up.”
“I’ll be right there.” She answered and got up from her chair.
Five minutes later she was in the infirmary and Carson pointed her to one of the beds.
“I see you got a check-up at the SGC.” He said as he flipped through her file.
“Yes, just a standard check-up to see if we’re all ok.”
“Let’s do a more thorough check then, shall we.” Carson smiled and Elizabeth nodded.
“There is something I want to tell you first though.”
Carson looked at her with a frown. Her voice had sounded worried and that worried him too.
“What is it?”
“It’s about the reason John freaked out when he found out I was expecting twins.”
Carson looked at her expectantly.
“John is convinced his family is cursed because in most twin births, one of the babies dies. In rare cases they either both die or both survive. John’s first wife was also pregnant with twins and she lost both of them after birth. John’s brother lost one of his daughters because of it. It scares me, Carson.” This had been the first time she had talked to anyone about this besides John and his family.
The doctor looked a bit shocked at her. “Oh, dear, I’m so sorry to hear that. I’ve heard about families like those back in college, but the professors wrote it off as an old-wives tale.”
“I want you to look into it. Try to find a cause. I don’t want my children to die, Carson.”
He loosely hugged her. “I will look into it and I’ll see what I can find out about it.”
“Thank you. Knowing you’ll look into it makes me feel much better about it.”
Caron smiled. “Now let’s see what those two little rascals look like, shall we?”

TBC


Chapter End Notes: Thank you for reading... a lot of what happened to John and the others will be revealed in the next chapter, so just be patient for a few more days... And don't forget to review in the mean time (that's the only thing that keeps my muse going ;^))

[Reviews - 58]    Printer Chapter or Story