Letters by lostgrace
Summary: A final farewell for Elizabeth...
Categories: Fanfiction Characters: None
Genres: Future Fic
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 56 Completed: No Word count: 91410 Read: 822479 Published: February 25, 2007 Updated: August 17, 2007

1. Letters by lostgrace

2. Packages by lostgrace

3. Cards by lostgrace

4. Deliveries by lostgrace

5. Postcards by lostgrace

6. Emails by lostgrace

7. Emergencies by lostgrace

8. Signoffs by lostgrace

9. Apologies by lostgrace

10. Gifts by lostgrace

11. Loss by lostgrace

12. Escapes by lostgrace

13. Correspondence by lostgrace

14. Reunions by lostgrace

15. Requests by lostgrace

16. Interrogations by lostgrace

17. Decisions by lostgrace

18. Negotiations by lostgrace

19. Twists by lostgrace

20. Turns by lostgrace

21. Questions by lostgrace

22. Challenges by lostgrace

23. Disappointments by lostgrace

24. Trials by lostgrace

25. Revelations by lostgrace

26. Returns by lostgrace

27. Insecurities by lostgrace

28. Frustrations by lostgrace

29. Surprises by lostgrace

30. Rain by lostgrace

31. Claims by lostgrace

32. Captives by lostgrace

33. Fatigue by lostgrace

34. Battles by lostgrace

35. Setbacks by lostgrace

36. Threats by lostgrace

37. Contact by lostgrace

38. Aftershocks by lostgrace

39. Waiting by lostgrace

40. Treks by lostgrace

41. Firelight by lostgrace

42. Healing by lostgrace

43. Existing by lostgrace

44. Deciding by lostgrace

45. Domestics by lostgrace

46. Glowing by lostgrace

47. Propositions by lostgrace

48. Plans by lostgrace

49. Disruptions by lostgrace

50. Routine by lostgrace

51. Mementos by lostgrace

52. Morale by lostgrace

53. Divisions by lostgrace

54. Parcels by lostgrace

55. Vows by lostgrace

56. Epilogue by lostgrace

Letters by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
My first ever fic of any variety..... inspired by the battle by fans to keep Elizabeth, and the sad, likely outcome.
The warm breeze ruffled Elizabeth Weir's hair, making it tickle her neck and sending shivers down her spine as she stood for what could be the last time on her favourite balcony. She closed her eyes, taking in the experience, committing it to memory, breathing deeply, trying to calm her nerves.

A light nudge of her right shoulder brought her out of the moment, startling her a little until she realised, even before looking, that John Sheppard had found her, as he always did. He leaned on the rail next to her, staring directly ahead of him. Looking at nothing in particular.

"Couldn't sleep?" she asked.

"Well, you know," he replied, trying his best to keep the mood light "It's not every day your best friend moves to another galaxy."

Elizabeth shot a startled look at him "Best friend?"

"Yeah.." he said softly, still staring out into the darkness.

"Not Rodney? Not Ronon?"

He let out a laugh at what he saw as the absurdity of the assumption "Can you see Rodney allowing me to be right about anything more than once a month? As for Ronon, I think he's too busy flirting with Teyla to give me much thought"

"Really, you think they.."

"Come on 'Lizabeth, don't tell me you haven't noticed...." John gave her an incredulous look. "Anyway, you get additional points for being prettier than they are."

Elizabeth laughed at that. "How about Rodney's big blue eyes, Ronon's flowing locks?" she asked mockingly.

"Surprisingly, they're not my type," he laughed.

Elizabeth smiled as a comfortable, familiar silence settled between them. These were the moments she'd remember the best. The moments that meant the most to her. Just standing here on 'their' balcony. Not Dr Weir and Colonel Sheppard. Elizabeth and John.

It was John who eventually broke the silence, barely, with a whispered statement "You know we'll come with you. You just have to say the word..."

She locked eyes with him then. "What?"

"...I mean, McKay and Zelenka, they could get a job anywhere. They're the experts in their field. They could write their own paycheques. They've both said it won't be the same without you here."

Elizabeth let the statement sink in. She'd never entertained the idea that they'd be willing to follow her back to Earth. That they had that much loyalty to her.

She looked away from him, gazing once again into the blackness of the night. "What about you?"

John nudged her right shoulder again, a grin breaking out on his face. "Well, I've always seen myself running a flight school one day. It's not like I couldn't afford it. Three years of pay with nowhere to spend it and everything. Besides, I think I could show people some moves that nobody else on Earth could"

Elizabeth laughed, rolling her eyes at him. "I'm sure you could....."

John cleared his throat, suddenly nervous "So, anyway, just say the word and.."

"I can't do that John. I can't ask you do do that" she cut in.

"You're not asking, I'm offering. There's a difference," he replied.

"You're needed here," Elizabeth said, trying to sound firm and convincing.

"So are you"

"Well, it seems the powers that be don't agree with you" Elizabeth could feel tears threatening to fall. She closed her eyes tight, willing them to give her back control. "I have to go in seven hours".

"Yeah." John sounded as though he was admiting defeat. There was nothing more to be done, short of taking a jumper and kidnapping her. Whisking her away to .. somewhere, anywhere that Earth couldn't get its hands on her.

"I'm just going to stay here. Commit it all to memory."

"I'll leave you to it", John said, turning to leave. He was stopped by her hand, grabbing his arm.

"Stay".

"I can do that"

"Good" Elizabeth slipped her arm through his, reaching for his hand, intertwining their fingers. John gripped her hand tightly.

"We can write" he said, "You know, the old fashioned way. Minus the stamps of course. I don't think the post office sells intergalactic stamps.."

"Sounds good" Elizabeth whispered, leaning her head on his shoulder "At least once a month"

"I was thinking once a week" John replied.

"Okay"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seven hours later, Dr Elizabeth Weir was where she was supposed to be. Standing with Colonel Samantha Carter, who'd been given the task of making sure she made it back to Earth. Being taken back by the woman who'd already staked a claim on her office.

She took in all the faces around her, the faces of those who'd trusted and respected her these past three years. The people who'd become not just colleagues, but close friends.

"Ready to go, Dr Weir?" Carter asked.

"Just give me a moment," she replied, looking around for her primary team. She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw them, the emotion clear on their faces.

"Teyla" she said to the Athosian woman "thank you. For everything. We couldn't have achieved what we've achieved without you".

"You have been an inspiring leader, Elizabeth" Teyla said, smiling. "You will be missed" She touched her forehead to Elizabeth's in a final farewell, before stepping back, seconds before Ronon grabbed their former leader, lifting her in a bearhug and almost squeezing the life out of her. He put her down just as quickly, before turning to stand beside Teyla. Always the man of action, he had nothing to say, no way to put into words the loss that they all felt.

The forlorn look on Rodney's face almost undid her. He was the member of the team she'd known the longest. For all their arguing they were close friends. She saw him as a brother.

"Elizabeth, I.... I don't, I can't..."

She tried to smile. Rodney McKay lost for words wasn't something you saw every day. She reached out, pulled him into a hug, holding onto him for a few moments before stepping back, smiling and trying to reassure him.

"It's fine, Rodney. Everything's going to be okay."

"I'm going to miss you" he admitted.

"I'll miss you, too. But I have your book to remember you by, and I'll take a look at it every time I need to think about home" she promised him.

Rodney smiled at that. "Really? You still have it?"

"Yes," she grinned, "it's packed away safe from prying eyes"

"Good to know... that's very good to know.. " he mumbled

"I proof read it, Dr Weir" Dr Zelenka insisted.

"Then thank you, Radek" Elizabeth smiled at him.

"You proof read it? You did not proof read it, I asked you to look at one chapter Zelenka... you think..."

"Rodney!"

"Sorry, Elizabeth..." he mumbled, still glaring in Zelenka's general direction, before glancing at Teyla and then Sheppard, who stood behind Elizabeth.

This was it, Elizabeth knew. Possibly her last moment ever with John Sheppard, her former Military Commander, her best friend, the man she'd always thought could one day be something more.

John touched her back, softly and she turned, locking eyes with him.

"Hey" she whispered, tears once again threatening to fall.

"Hey" he replied.

"So this is it"

"Yeah.. " John reached out, wiping an escaped tear from her cheek.

Elizabeth closed her eyes, mentally slapping herself for being so open with her emotions. It was too late, though. Her feelings were clear for all to see, as were John's.

He pushed a lock of hair behind her ear, before pulling her too him, wrapping his arms tightly around her, and planting a kiss on the top of her head. He could feel hot tears on his neck as she struggled for control, and ran his right hand up and down her back in what he hoped was a soothing manner.

"Love you, best friend" he whispered in her ear.

"Love you, too" she whispered back, before pulling away, swiping at her eyes.

Elizabeth turned to Sam Carter once she felt she was close to having a grip on her self control. "Okay, I'm ready as I'll ever be"

Sam tried for a smile and nodded, feeling uncomfortable about what had unfolded in front of her.

"Let's go," Elizabeth said, stepping away from those she'd come to know and love after three years in the Pegasus galaxy.

"'Lizabeth, wait" John grabbed at her hand as she walked away, causing her to turn to him. "Once a day" he insisted.

Elizabeth looked at him, confused for a moment.

"The letters," he said "Even if there's not much to say, nothing more than a line or two. Even if a pile of them arrive at once. Once a day".

Elizabeth smiled, and in that split second made a decision. She stood on tiptoes, brushing his lips with a light kiss to the shock of all present, including John "Once a day" she promised.

And then she was gone.

++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard kicked his skateboard out of the way, sweeping some files off his bed and searching around for paper and a pen.

He grabbed his wellworn but still not finished copy of war and peace, and leaned the paper on it, chewing his pen before starting.

"Dear Elizabeth,

You've been gone for half an hour now, and already this place feels less like home......"
Packages by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
Part two of letters.....
Matthew Weir let out a sigh at the sight of his sister, once again in her pyjamas, sitting on his balcony and staring at the ocean.

"Lizzy, if you're going to sit around doing nothing all day, the least you could do is actually get dressed"

Elizabeth gave him her best 'Doctor Weir' glare, before turning her attention once again to the waves coming in on Santa Monica beach. Her right hand reaching down beside her to run a hand over Sedge's head.

Matthew sat in the seat beside her, heavily. "Look, Liz, I don't know if you've noticed, but I have an impressionable 10 year old daughter here. Right now, you're her female role model, and this doesn't exactly look good."

His comment was met with silence, something he'd become used to over the past three months that his sister had been staying with him. It was beginning to wear thin.

"Elizabeth!" he tried again to gain her attention. "You have job offers from all over the world coming in, you could easily have something to do other than sitting here with that note pad all day every day"

"I'm not ready Matthew," Elizabeth finally replied. "I need some time. You know I can't tell you what I've been doing for the past three years, but .. I need some time".

"Whatever. Look," Matthew lifted a large envelope, more like a package, really, that Elizabeth had missed up until this point. He dropped it down on the table between them. "this came from Colorado for you. What are you getting mail from the airforce for?"

Elizabeth looked up, shocked, "It's from Colorado?"

"Yeah, what's that about?"

Again, Matthew Weir received no answer from his sister, who'd already grabbed the envelope and was turning it over in her hands. He sighed, standing up to leave "I have a meeting that's going to run late. Do you can think you can get off your butt in time to pick Abby up from school?"

Elizabeth tore her attention away from the package long enough to answer "Yeah, sure. I'll be there".

"Great. Don't be late, okay? I don't like her hanging around on her own after school"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. "I'll be on time. Hey, can you put this in the mail for me?"

Matthew reached out to take a small, but fully stuffed envelope from her. "Colorado?" he asked, looking at the address.

"Yes, Colorado" she said firmly. Her brother had only know that she'd been asking him to pick up a huge number of postage stamps. He'd never seen one of the letters she was sending. They'd all be mailed during her night-time walks with Sedge.

"Fine," Matthew said, slipping the envelope in his pocket as he left the balcony "and don't be late for Abby"

"I won't be..." Elizabeth said, already focused on the envelope in her hand again.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth slipped into a pair of denim shorts and a green t-shirt, pulling her hair back into a loose ponytail. It was halfway down her back now, and a constant reminder of how long she'd been way from Atlantis. Away from home. She felt she should cut it, but it served as her reminder of the passage of time. She found it comforting in a strange way.

Picking up the envelope, Elizabeth searched around for some shoes, before deciding that barefoot was the way to go. I was winter in California now, but the temperatures were still in the high 70s and the beach was calling.

"Sorry Sedge," she said, looking down at the dog, watching her every move. "They won't let you on the beach. I won't be long, we'll take a walk to pick up Abby later".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Within ten minutes, Elizabeth had walked to the shoreline. She sat herself down beside the pier and pulled the package out of her bag. It was large, stuffed with letters and something else. Something soft.

Taking a deep breath, she opened it, emptying the contents onto the sand in front of her. Dozens of smaller envelopes fell out, along with a large, t-shirt. A t-shirt she'd seen many times. It was soft, well-worn, imprinted with USAF, and smelled of John Sheppard. An envelope fell out of its folds and she set it aside before slipping the shirt on over her own green t-shirt.

Most of the letters were, as expected, from John. His handwriting familiar, deliberate, a lot neater than she remembered from his hastily written notes so frequently left on her desk in Atlantis. There was also one envelope, larger than the rest with what could only be described as a scrawl on the front of it. She smiled.

"Rodney"

She opened the envelope, pulling out a small piece of notepaper with yet more of Rodney's scrawl on it. Hardly readable to the average person, but Elizabeth had dealt with it on many occasions.

Elizabeth secured the pile of mail and rolled onto her stomach, leaning on her elbows, to read Rodney's letter.

"Elizabeth,

Oh. My. God. You have to come back. I can't deal with these people.."

She laughed. Rodney, melodramatic as always...

"..Sam's always siding with Sheppard. Military, military, military. Hello? What happened to the scientific part of this expedition people? I'm very close to hitting Sheppard. I'd do it if it wasn't for the fact that I know he'd hurt me.

He keeps talking about requesting lemon chicken on the menu, or lemon whatever the local equivilent is. He's taunting me, Elizabeth. taunting me!

As for Colonel Carter, never again will I name a whale after her. I don't know if you'll understand the sentiment here, but the next whale I meet will be called Elizabeth. Or Weir, if it's male. You get the idea.

Come back or get me out of here!!

Rodney."

Elizabeth smiled at the ever so familiar rantings of Rodney, putting his letter back into its envelope and into her bag.

She turned to the letter that had fallen from John's t-shirt, carefully opening the envelope so as not to tear it. There were so many letters from him. As he promised, one for every day. But this one, the one that came with something more seemed to be the place to start.

"Dear Elizabeth,

I decided today that you needed a piece of Atlantis. Since Colonel Carter wouldn't appreciate me actually sending back a bit of the city, I thought I'd send the next best thing. Something from me.

I hope that you'll wear this t-shirt when you need to think about us. And know that we're thinking of you. That we miss you.

Rodney's snarkier than usual, and he's taking it out on Zelenka. Zelenka for his part if yelling at Rodney in Czech. It's pretty entertaining to watch.

In fact, Rodney had the biggest fight with Carter this morning. You should have seen it. It all started when I asked if we could add lemon chicken to the menu....."
Cards by lostgrace
"Sheppard!"

John Sheppard kept moving straight ahead. There was no way he was slowing down with Dr Rodney McKay hot on his heels.

"Hey, Sheppard!!"

McKay didn't seem to get the hint. He was puffing as he caught up with John, who turned, frustrated, to face him.

"What do you want, McKay?"

"Oh. Well, I have something I need you to look at for me" Rodney told him "It's really exciting, could have major implications for..."

"Not now, Rodney"

"But I only need you for an hour. That's it. We'll be done in no time.."

John sighed. "I'm busy, McKay. Go find someone else with the gene"

"But I really need..."

"Okay, here's a deal for you. You take that new batch of scientists for their self defence training, and I'll go play with this... whatever it is you want me to play with."

"Do you really need to do that now?" Rodney moaned, clearly annoyed with the turn of events.

"We have a couple of them going out on your little fact finding mission tomorrow. They have a week's worth of training under their belts. You want them to miss the day before you go through the gate..."

"Alright, alright," Rodney mumbled. "Tomorrow morning?"

"Sure. After my breakfast meeting with Carter," Sheppard promised.

"You have a breakfast meeting with Sam?" Rodney asked, suspiciously. "Define breakfast meeting..."

"It's a meeting, McKay. We have them on a regular basis. We discuss military strategy" John sighed.

"Whatever you say, Kirk. What's with her always agreeing with you all the time anyway?" Rodney demanded.

"Ever thought that maybe I'm right?"

With that, Sheppard took off to find Teyla, to go over the details of their session with the scientists, leaving Rodney standing in the hallway, still formulating his comeback.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The training session went well. With Teyla's help, John had managed to cover a lot of ground with the new civilians in just a week. Three of them showed a lot of promise. The others.. not so much, but John was convinced that he and Teyla would have them whipped into shape eventually.

Right now, he decided, he needed a break. The balcony outside Elizabeth's office would be the perfect spot, except that his presence there would be conspicuous now. Now that it was Carter's office instead of Elizabeth's.

He sighed, deciding his quarters would probably be the best place to go. He could read some War and Peace, play his guitar, get started on today's letter to Elizabeth.... He wondered if she'd got his t-shirt yet. If she wore it.

John turned, crashing straight into Sam Carter, sending a pile of items she'd been holding tumbling to the ground.

"Oh... sorry, let me get that" he started stacking files in a pile, reaching for loose papers.

"Actually," Sam said, grabbing one of the piles in front of her "you're just the person I was looking for."

"I am?"

"Yeah... " she rose to her feet, arms once again full "I have something on my desk for you. Mail arrived. If it keeps coming in at this rate, you're going to need a crate to pick it up in."

"Um, okay."

"It's on my desk, John, go get it. Apparently there's something for McKay in with yours, too, if you can pass it on"

John rolled his eyes "Do I have to? He's been chasing me all day. Don't you want the pleasure of handing it over?"

Sam laughed. "No thanks, he's all yours. He's still giving me grief for... 'abandoning my scientific instincts' I think he called it. Told me I'm selling out by siding with you. I can do without another whining session from him!"

"So I guess I get his whining again..." John said with a sigh.

"Don't even try pouting, Sheppard," Sam told him with a laugh "I've seen it from the best, and it doesn't work on me"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard paused on the threshold of Elizabeth's office. "Sam Carter's office" he corrected himself.

His eyes went straight for the desk, free of Elizabeth's artifacts now. It held a neat pile of files, a laptop, a few random pieces of technology that Carter had no doubt liberated from McKay's lab to fullfil her need for a little bit of science around her.

There was also a box, the kind you get for copier paper, sitting on top of the desk.

John walked into the room, feeling out of place, as though he was intruding. It hadn't been an issue when it was Elizabeth's office, but now it was Colonel Carter's domain. He felt out of place without his CO sitting behind the desk.

On closer inspection, the box contained a pile of letters, all with postage stamps and marks, all with Elizabeth's neat handwriting on the envelopes. He lifted it in his arms, turning and heading in the general direction of his quarters.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John dropped the box of letters on his bed, only just managing to grab his guitar before it fell to the ground. He placed it carefully against the wall, before sitting on the bed, eyeing the box.

He reached in, pulling out a handful of envelopes. Who'd have figured Elizabeth was the type to have stationery sets in every colour of the rainbow? He fished around again, finding one very large envelope.

"As good a place to start as any" he said to himself, ripping the envelope open.

It contained more envelopes. One addressed to him, another to Teyla, another to Rodney, one to Zelenka... There were at least 50. Possibly more.

He picked up the one with his name on it, once again ripping at the envelope.

Inside was a card. A birthday card. With a penguin on the front.

John laughed to himself, opening the card to read Elizabeth's words. A small piece of paper fell out and he put it aside before taking in his friend's words.

"Dear John,

Something to remind you of that day in Antarctica!

I know this will get to you a little late, but happy birthday! I've managed to sneak a stash of DVDs and some chocolate in a package for you, which should arrive with this...."

John reached into the box again, scrambling around before triumphantly pulling a parcel from the bottom of it. Chocolate and DVDs.

:...Just keep the chocolate away from Rodney. I swear he has a sixth sense when it comes to anything sweet, and you don't need to have him on a sugar high.

I've also enclosed mail for our friends with your card. They're more cards. For Teyla, Rodney.. everyone who has a birthday in the next three months. I've taken the liberty of writing you a list of names and dates, just in case you forget!

Again, Happy Birthday!

Elizabeth"

John picked up the piece of paper with the dates on it, putting it, and the remaining cards back in the envelope for safe keeping. Only Elizabeth would be so organised as to send him a reminder list.

He placed the card on his desk, moving it around a couple of times until it looked as though it was in exactly the right position, then settled back on the bed, reaching for his paper and pen from the bedside table.

There was time to read the rest of Elizabeth's letters later. He could ration them. One each day.

Right now it was getting late, and he needed to write his letter to her.

John once again used his copy of War and Peace to lean on.

"Dear Elizabeth,

I love the penguin! A little bit of Antarctica, without the cold.

How's sunny California, by the way? Are you still there? Are you working? I'm sure my questions will be answered in your letters. I'm going to read one each day, to make sure they last until our next delivery arrives........"
Deliveries by lostgrace
"A bit early for you to be up, isn't it?"

Elizabeth Weir turned from the frying pan in front of her, fixing a glare on her brother. "I'm making breakfast for your daughter. I wouldn't complain if I was you."

"Not complaining," Matthew Weir insisted. "Just commenting. I don't think I've seen you before midday for the past nine months!"

"Well," Elizabeth started, turning back to the pan "I promised Abby pancakes for breakfast, and there's no way she'd let me live it down if didn't deliver."

"You're spoiling her"

"She's sick" Elizabeth replied. "and I have a job that lets me work from home. I'm perfectly happy to take care of her."

"Breaking a leg and spraining a wrist from falling while sliding down the stairs as school doesn't add up to sick in my book"

"Ah, see that's where we differ" Elizabeth told him, with a grin, pilling a third pancake onto the stack she'd made for Abby, and reaching for the maple syrup.

"Anyway, I have a colleague dropping by tonight. You going to be around?"

Elizabeth laughed "Am I ever anywhere else?" she asked.

"Good point," her brother replied. "Do you think you could be wearing something other than that t-shirt when he comes by?"

Elizabeth looked down at John's shirt. It was getting more and more worn and faded by the day, but she liked it. It went comfortably with her jeans, and comfort was a big factor in her life now that she didn't have the restriction of a uniform.

"What's wrong with the shirt?" she demanded.

"Well," Matthew sighed, knowing exactly how this conversation was going to play out "It's just that I don't think you should be wearing some long lost boyfriend's t-shirt when I'm trying to set you up with one of my friends."

"How many times do I have to tell you..." Elizabeth was furious

"I know, I know," Matthew interupted "he's not your boyfriend. But seriously, Lizzy, you need to get out. You need to meet people. You're cooped up in this house all the time with Abby, a bunch of highschool kids and a dog. It's not healthy."

"You want me to get out more? Fine, Matt. I'll be out tonight. My seven o'clock tutoring session's been cancelled I'm going to take myself to a movie. Is that okay with you?"

Elizabeth grabbed the plate, piled with Abby's pancakes and stormed down the hall to her niece's bedroom.

Matthew let out a sigh, grabbed his car keys and slamming the front door on the way out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So how many letters do you have there?" Abby asked her aunt, passing her the now empty plate.

"Too many to count, Abs, too many to count"

"And they're all from the same person?"

"Not all of them," Elizabeth explained. "I have some from Rodney, some from Teyla. Most are from John, though."

Elizabeth had told Abby about her friends as best she could without going into detail about who they were or where they were. Abby accepted the information she was given, not inclined to dig.

She'd known about the letters since three months after Elizabeth had arrived. Her aunt and Sedge had picked her up from school one afternoon, and they'd stopped to buy some writing paper on the way home. Abby had helped pick out paper in all the colours of the rainbow, insisting that plain white would get boring if you were going to write or read letters every day. From that day on, Abby joined Elizabeth and Sedge on their nightly walk to to post John's letter.

"So, anything exciting?"

"Rodney's still annoying John, according to the last letter I read" Elizabeth told her "and John's teasing Rodney. They're worse than children... no offence"

"None taken" Abby picked up the remote from her bedside table and hit play on the DVD player.

Elizabeth found herself watching Happy Feet for the 10th time in the past two weeks. "Move over," she said, nudging Abby and sitting herself down on the bed beside her. Sedge jumped up on the end of the bed, narrowly missing Abby's broken leg.

To the sounds of Happy Feet, Elizabeth opened her designated letter from John for the day. She'd liked his comment of rationing them. Reading one each day. She'd taken up the habit, and it was working well. They were never in order, so often she had to read and reread letters to understand what he was talking about, but that was part of the fun of the whole process.

"Dear Elizabeth," He started,

"Something big happened today. Carter's talking about sending me back to Colorado to assess some new recruits in mid-May. Lorne and Carter will handle things here while I'm away, but she feels that since I'm going to be their CO, I should be involved in selection.

Rodney's whining about it. Doesn't want to work with me, doesn't want to work without me. I think he'll find out just how easy I am on him once he's had to deal with Lorne for a while.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it'll come off, but I could be Earthside in three months.

Are you still in California? Stupid question. Your address was still in California when you sent the latest letters, right?"

Elizabeth sat stunned. Mid-May. She'd been losing track of time lately. Provided she knew which kids she was tutoring and what day of the week it was, she didn't have to worry about anything else.

"Abby, what's the date?"

"Huh?" Abby reached for the remote, turning Happy Feet down just a bit.

"The date, Abs, what is it?"

Abby reached for the school diary beside her bed, eyes still glued to the TV as she handed it to her aunt.

"May 30th" Elizabeth said softly. If John was here, if the plan had gone ahead, she'd have heard by now. She sighed, picking up the letter and continuing to read.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At half past six, Elizabeth was ready to head out to a movie. Her brother, true to his promise, had brought a colleage home. Elizabeth politely explained to Matthew and his friend James that she had plans, eliciting a glare from her brother.

She smirked at him, raising an eyebrow. Nobody was making Elizabeth Weir do something she didn't want to do.

"You need to check on Abby's homework. It's English," she said to her brother. "I'll be home around nine o'clock. Don't let her work past eight, okay?"

"Yes, boss"

"Oh, and Tara may call to reschedule her German tutoring session, she had to cancel today's because..."

A knock on the door cut her off mid-sentence and she went to answer it.

"....because she had to babysit..." Elizabeth stopped, stunned. Lost for words.

"Hey," a familiar voice said to her.

"Oh my God"

Matthew Weir stepped over to the door to see what had his sister so shocked. She looked like she'd seen a ghost. There in the doorway stood a tall, dark haired man in jeans and a black t-shirt.

"Oh my God"

"You just said that, 'Lizabeth," John Sheppard said with a laugh. "I was in the area, you know, and there was some mail for you, so thought I'd deliver it." He handed over a small box, filled to the brim with letters and parcels.

"I just read the letter today! I thought that since I hadn't heard from you they must have cancelled the plans, I thought that you were still... you know.. I thought..." she knew she was rambling now.

"They switched it to June," John told her "I have three days before I have to head back to Colorado and start working."

Matthew Weir cleared his throat, as though asking for some sort of explanation of what was going on.

"Oh, sorry," Elizabeth turned to him, "Matthew, this is my friend John Sheppard. John, my brother Matt and his colleague James" James managed a polite wave, but Matthew eyed John suspiciously.

"So you're the Airforce guy?" he asked.

"Yeah, that's me"

Elizabeth knew where this conversation was going. She handed the box of letters to her brother, turning back to John, who was still standing in her doorway. "Can you put these in my room, Matt? We're going to go out. And if you have time, can you make up the sofa bed for John?"

"I'm getting a hotel, 'Lizabeth...."

"No," Elizabeth said firmly. "You're staying with us. Right Matt?"

Matthew Weir nodded as Elizabeth grabbed her bag and headed out the door "So I'll see you at ten, right?" he called after his sister.

Elizabeth glanced at John. It was his first time back on Earth for so long. Her first chance to show him where she lived "Maybe midnight...."
Postcards by lostgrace
John Sheppard sat beside Elizabeth Weir in the sand, both of them silent, staring at the reflection of the moon on the water.

It was past midnight. He wondered if Matthew Weir was the type to wait up for his sister. If he was right in thinking Elizabeth's brother had been eyeing him suspiciously.

He'd noticed immediately on arriving that Elizabeth had been planning to go somewhere. Her strappy dress, light makeup and the ready availability of her bag told him that. When she'd confessed she'd intended to go to a movie, John insisted they did that. Elizabeth wanted to talk, but he reminded her they had three days do to that, and it had been a long time since he'd actually had the experience of going to a movie.

John had let her pick the movie. Something 'girly'. He couldn't remember the name or the plot. He'd been too busy soaking up the experience of sitting in a theatre, filled with his fellow Americans. The experience of an 'almost' date. He'd insisted on buying the popcorn and drinks reminding Elizabeth when she protested "Almost four years of pay with nowhere to spend it!"

After, they'd walked and talked, finding themselves on the pier, not far from Elizabeth's brother's house. They grabbed a coffee before walking down to the beach, to plant themselves in the sand.

Two hours later, they were still there. Most of the time had been spent in silence, much like their times on the balcony in Atlantis.

Eventually, John glanced at his watch "We're past your curfew." he said with a laugh.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. "What time is it?"

"12.30," John passed on. "You know, I get the impression your brother doesn't like me."

"You saw James, right?" John nodded "Well, Matt was trying a setup. That's why I was going out"

"I see.. does he try that often?" John inquired.

"First time. And if he knows what's good for him, it'll be the last"

John laughed. He could imagine Elizabeth giving her brother a good dose of Dr Weir, sending him scurrying with his tail between his legs.

John stood, picking up Elizabeth's discarded sandals and reaching for her left hand "Come on," he said "walk with me."

Elizabeth allowed him to pull her up from the sand, and they walked, slowly, their feet being cooled by the salt water, and John showing no sign of letting go of her hand.

"So," Elizabeth whispered "Tell me. How is it there now... honestly."

"It's.... good," John admitted "at least as good as it can be given the leadership change and all. I wanted to hate her, but you know, she's okay. We work pretty well together. And she gives as good as she gets with Rodney.... but .... I feel like I'm betraying you by liking her."

"Oh, God, John, don't feel like that" Elizabeth insisted. "We do what we can with the situations we're given. You need to work with her. You need to work well with her. I'd never want..."

"Yeah, I know... I think your brother's waiting up" John lifted their joined hands, pointing in the general direction of Matthew Weir's beachside home. The downstairs lights shone brightly, a lone figure visible at the table.

"Great. He's at me for months on end to get out more, and when I do...."

"Don't be too hard on him, 'Lizabeth. If I had a little sister and a guy like me turned up to drag her out for the night, I'd be a bit protective, too"

"A guy like you?"

"Yeah," John smirked at her "You know, handsome, suave, sophisticated...."

She laughed at that "You're an idiot!"

"You wound me, Elizabeth, you wound me" John replied with a laugh. "Come on, let's get you home before he sends out a search party!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As soon as she turned the key in the lock, Elizabeth could hear Matthew scrambling around, trying to look busy. When she door opened, he was at the table, tapping away on his laptop.

He turned, taking in the view of John and Elizabeth entering his home "Hey guys," he looked at his watch "wow, I lost track of time. Work, you know"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes at him "You're not very subtle, Matt" she told him, leading John through to the study, where her brother had set up the sofa bed for their guest.

"So... this is you" she told John ".. the bathroom's just across the hall. If you hear some crashing around during the night, that'll be Abby. Broken leg... she's a bit of a disaster zone right now.... She can't get up the stairs, so we've put her in the guest room"

"Okay. Thanks, Elizabeth... for everything," John reached took a step closer to her, planting a quick kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight"

She smiled at him "Goodnight John," she said, turning to leave the room.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The sound of the obvious shuffling of papers greeted Elizabeth as she stepped back into the lounge area of the house. Matthew it seemed was still up, waiting for her.

"So... I take it we'll be graced by your presence before midday..." he teased.

"Grow up, Matt!" Elizabeth shot back at him, as she walked up the stairs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Three days later, John and Elizabeth stood in the queue at LAX. He'd packed light, so there was no need to check anything in, but going through security was a long and tedious process, and he was happy to have Elizabeth still there to keep him company.

"Shoes and belt" she stated.

"What?"

"Shoes and belt," Elizabeth repeated. "we're nearly at the front of the line. They're going to make you take them off when you get there. You might as well take them off now."

"You're way too organised, 'Lizabeth," John told her, fiddling with his belt buckle, eventually handing the item to her before pulling off his shoes without undoing the laces.

She seemed to be getting more and more agitated as they neared the head of the queue, stepping closer to him so their arms were touching. The security guy handed John a plastic container to place his shoes and belt in. He did that, and turned to Elizabeth.

"Well, this is it" He reached out, twisting a strand of her hair around his finger. He couldn't remember if he'd told her he liked it long.

"Yeah," Elizabeth stepped forward, flinging her arms around his neck, and he held onto her tightly.

"Sir" the security man's voice was insistant. John was holding up the queue, he knew that.

He let Elizabeth go, "It's been great spending time with you" he said.

She nodded, reaching into the pocket of her jeans and pulling out an envelope and handing it to him.

"Read this when you get on the plane," she insisted.

He nodded, smiling at her, before disappearing through security.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was surprised to have a spare seat next to him on the flight to Colorado Springs. He stretched his legs out, leaning against the window, once the seatbelt sign went off. He dragged his backpack out from under the seat in front and reached in, pulling out Elizabeth's envelope.

Inside was a postcard. Of the pier. There was something very familiar about it that made him smile. He turned it over, reading Elizabeth's neat writing.

"John,

I'm writing this hours before you leave, and I miss you already. Thank you for the last three days. I'm glad you got to meet my family. Abby is smitten, and I think you've come very close to winning Matt over.

Give my love to all our friends. Take care of Rodney for me. You know how he can be...

I'm crossing my fingers that Colonel Carter will find other reasons for you to come back, so that you can visit us again. You're always welcome here.

Elizabeth"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth sighed as she entered the home she shared with her brother and her niece. She thanked the neighbour for watching Abby while she'd been gone, making sure the girl didn't break her other leg while left to her own devices, and headed down the hallway.

"Hey Abby" she said, sitting down on the edge of the girl's bed, waking Sedge up in the process.

"Oh my God, Aunt Lizzy. Do you think you took long enough?" Abby let out a frustrated sigh and reached down beside her bed, rolling over on her good leg.

"Are you okay there?" Elizabeth asked sarcastically.

"I've been waiting to give you this!" The ten year old handed Elizabeth an envelope and a small velvet box.

"What is it?"

"How should I know? I promised not to look at it. Open it before I open it myself!"

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow at her niece, before starting to slowly open the envelope.

"Aunt Lizzy!" Abby protested, frustrated by the time it was taking.

"Okay, okay" Elizabeth lifted a postcard from inside the envelope. It was of the pier. It was the exact postcard she'd given John. Startled, she was about to read it when Abby broke into her thoughts

"Forget the card, open the box!!"

Elizabeth put the card aside for the moment, giving in to Abby and opening the blue velvet box. What was inside left her stunned. A delicate silver chain with a Pegasus pendant on it.

"Oh... when did he have time to get this?" she whispered, showing the item to Abby.

"It's so pretty!" Abby exclaimed "You know, I think he likes you!"

Elizabeth again raised an eyebrow at her niece. "Don't you have some DVD you could be watching"

Abby rolled her eyes, picking up the remote and flicking on The Princess Diaries.

Elizabeth picked up the postcard, turning it over to read John's message.

"Elizabeth,

Thank you for a great three days in LA.

I picked up this little gift for you in Colorado Springs before flying in to see you. I think it's appropriate, and I hope you'll like it.

So, anyway, I've been thinking that I might ask to spend my leave on Earth. On the odd occasion that it comes up, that is. I'd like to visit you again. You know, if that's okay with you.. just, you know, let me know in your next letter.

I'll email you from cell-like quarters at the SCG when I get back, oh and think of me dealing with those new recruits, it's not going to be fun, Elizabeth......"
Emails by lostgrace
To: Elizabeth Weir elizjweir@ezmail.com

Subject: Flight from hell

Dear Elizabeth,

Well, I'm back at the SGC after possibly the worst flight of my life. That includes the times that McKay's been at the controls of the... you know. This guy next to me had a really bad dose of the flu and spent the whole time sneezing on me. LA to Colorado Springs. Imagine Rodney in that situation? He'd have himself in intensive care by now just thinking about those germs.

And now, here I am, however many feet underground. Early start tomorrow, whipping some new recruits into shape. Or trying to.I've just been looking over their files. Some promising prospects, but you never know until you see them face to face. Can't judge a book by it's cover, right Elizabeth?

Did Abby hand a certain item over to you? I'm sure she did. She was pretty excited about it. I hope you like it.

I should sleep. It's well past midnight, and you know, early start and everything.

John

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To: John Sheppard shep20735@ezmail.com

Subject: Abby and the gift

John,

Thank you so much for the beautiful gift. Abby can't take her eyes off it. When I least expect it, she'll reach out and play with it. She also can't stop talking about you. John this, John that, how does it feel to be a 10 year old's first crush?

It was nice to get your email first thing this morning. I'm sure you're busy with training now. Will it make you jealous to let you know that I'm on the balcony with my laptop while you're "however many feet" underground?

Not much planned for today apart from three tutoring sessions. Two French, one German. And a walk to post a letter, of course.

I hope the new recruits don't give you too much of a run for your money,

Elizabeth

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To: Elizabeth Weir elizjweir@ezmail.com

Subject: Dying

Dear Elizabeth,

I'm sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back to you. I'm currently dying. No, really, I'm dying. It seems the passenger with the flu has passed his flu onto me. I've slept the past day and a half away, while someone else puts in the work with the new guys (and girl)

I'll keep this short, because I'm kind of hazy right now. Say hi to Abby for me. I'm going to try to get her a necklace just like yours (if I can drag myself out of bed!) I'll send it to you, and you can save it for her birthday. Or Christmas. Whichever is first.

I miss you. I'm sick. I need someone to make me pancakes. Ask Abby if she knows anyone who can do that for me.

John.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To: John Sheppard shep20735@ezmail.com

Subject: Pancakes, indeed!

John,

Is that all it takes to make you happy? A pile of pancakes? If I told Abby that, I think she'd steal my credit card, hitchhike to LAX and fly to Colorado Springs in person to make them for you. Yes, the crush continues.

As for the necklace, John you really don't have to. I know she'd love it, but it's really not necessary. Don't go out of your way, especially when you're not feeling the best.

It's been a quiet few days on the work front. Matt and I took Abby to a movie last night, which was an interesting experience, given the crutches. Only another three weeks until the plaster comes off that leg of hers.

I want to thank you again for coming to visit. I can't believe it's been nine months now since I left. Seeing you and hearing about our friends made the homesickness a little easier to handle.

You are a wonderful friend, John Sheppard,

Elizabeth.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To: Elizabeth Weir elizjweir@ezmail.com

Subject: Suspicious superiors

Elizabeth,

I received an interesting email from one General Jack O'Neill today. He says he's been trying to get onto you, but the emails keep bouncing back. I take it he dosen't have your new address?

He asked if I'd seen you, and if I knew why you were sitting around, "wasting your talents teaching highschool kids" instead of taking one of the highly paid consulting jobs he knows you've been offered.

I played dumb (don't tell McKay that, I'll never live it down), but it occurred to me that you never told me why you'd decided to do that instead of going back to your old life.

So, why? Not that there's anything wrong with being a tutor, but O'Neill's right. You could have pretty much any job you wanted. I'm not judging, I'm just curious.

There's a little something in the mail for Abby, addressed to you. You might want to get to the mail before she does, so she doesn't get her hands on it before she should.

I'm feeling better. No pancakes, but I did find some cupcakes. Better than nothing.

Two days before I go back...

John.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To: John Sheppard shep20735@ezmail.com

Subject: Why

Dear John,

You've asked me the one question I've been asking myself over and over. I'm not quite sure why I'm doing what I'm doing, except that it feels right for now. I'm spending time with my niece, after missing three years of her life, and hopefully inspiring some teenagers to do more with languages than they might otherwise do.

To be honest, though, I think that taking one of Jack's "high paid consulting jobs" would be like closing the door on those three years completely. It's like admitting defeat and saying that I can't go back. And I want to go back. More than I ever thought I would. I miss everyone, John, you especially, but also Rodney despite all his whining, Radek for the way he follows me around like a lost puppy, Teyla for her friendship...

I'm going to finish here before I become too sappy. That would be extremely unbecoming of a former leader of such a big expedition, don't you think?

I'll keep an eye on the mail. Thank you for being so kind to Abby, and feel free to pass my new email address to Jack. I'm sure he'd find it eventually anyway.

Elizabeth.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To: Elizabeth Weir elizjweir@ezmail.com

Subject: Kidnapping you.

Elizabeth,

Yes, I think I should kidnap you. Bring you home to us all. Then again, I'd probably get myself shot in the process, and you know how I handle the infirmary (not that it wouldn't be worth it...)

O'Neill's in town right now. I hear he's been trying to track me down. I'm not sure what about. I'm hoping that nobody's been intercepting my emails to you. There's a reason I haven't been using my work address....

I'm going to put in for leave around Christmas/New Year. I guess whether I get it or not depends on the situation we're dealing with at the time. These things are never predictable.

If it comes off, I'd like to come and visit you again, if that's okay with you...

Someone's at the door. I'll try to mail you again later, but I'm due to leave in a couple of hours and I have some meetings to deal with,

Miss you,

John.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John hit send and stood, walking towards the door of his quarters. He was surprised to see General Jack O'Neill standing outside, hand raised as though he was about to knock again.

"General O'Neill" John looked around the mess inside his quarters, mentally slapping himself for letting the General see the disaster zone he'd been living in for the past week.

"Sheppard" Jack nodded at him. "You going to let me in?"

"Oh, sure. Come in, sir" John stepped aside to let Jack O'Neill in.

Jack eyed the scattered papers and mess around him "Nice place" he mumbled.

"Yeah" John appeared flustered "I've been sick, with that and the training schedule...."

"I'm not your mother, Sheppard, you want to live in a room full of toxic waste," he picked up a pizza box, looking inside to see something that had been there at least four days "... who am I to judge?"

"Right," John replied. "So, what can I do for you, sir?"

"Straight to the point, hey? What's the story with Weir?"

"I don't know what you mean, sir"

Jack sighed. "Come on, Sheppard, I know you flew to California to see her. What's her story? I'm trying to get her to take a job in Washington. She won't take my calls, my emails don't get through..."

"She needs a break" John told him "She told me to pass on her new email address, by the way."

"Great.. but she's not going to come and work for me, is she?"

"I doubt it" John admitted, scribbling Elizabeth's email address down on a scrap of paper and handing it to Jack.

"Why? She can't be happy spending all day dealing with bratty teenagers"

"It's not all day. She's tutoring, not teaching" John explained. "Besides, there's one place she wants to be, and DC isn't it"

"Yeah, well I'd be just as happy to have Carter back on Earth" Jack snapped, "sometimes these things just don't work out the way we want them to"

"No. They don't."

Jack held up the scrap of paper with Elizabeth's email address on it. "Thanks for this" he said. "I'll see what I can do for Elizabeth, but I think you know that the Atlantis situation isn't going to change in the near future"

John nodded, following O'Neill back to the door and holding it open as the General walked out.

Once O'Neill had left, John walked back to his bed, picked up his laptop, and started a new email.

"Dear Elizabeth,

I just had a visit from O'Neill....."
Emergencies by lostgrace
It had been three months since John had returned to Atlantis, and it seemed like the longest three months of his life. His letters from Elizabeth had been joined by the occasional note, picture or photo from Abby, who apparently still harboured a huge crush on him. Her sketches had joined his Johnny Cash poster, decorating his walls.

Things had been busy. The war of good against evil continued, and John now spent most of his spare time reading and writing letters, to the point where his copy of War and Peace was used only to lean his notepaper on.

He'd mentioned wanting to go back to Earth for Christmas. Rodney enthusiastically asked if he could join him, saying he missed Elizabeth and wanted to spend a day or two with her. John welcomed the idea of some company, even if it did mean the flight to LA would no doubt be punctuated by Rodney's outbursts about airline food and whether or not they were trying to kill him via citrus.

That, however was more than three months away. John sighed and rested his head back against the wall, he took his book off the bedside table, picked up a well chewed pen and a multicoloured notepad that had been a gift from Abby.

"Dear Elizabeth,"

He started, on a pale green piece of paper.

"I'm still trying to get leave for Christmas. Rodney, believe it or not has decided that he wants to come was well. We'll book ourselves into a hotel. I don't want to put you out or anything....."

John paused at a knock on the door, putting his pen, book and notepad aside, and standing to answer it.

Sam Carter stood outside, a concerned look on her face.

"Colonel," John took in her worried look, a sinking feeling hitting him "what can I do for you."

"You might want to sit down, John," Sam advised.

"If you're trying to get me worried, you're doing a good job of it," John answered.

"I got an urgent message from General O'Neill," Sam paused, gauging John's reaction before continuing. "It seems a Matthew Weir called trying to track you down. Elizabeth had Jack's contact number in her diary, and.."

"Had? What do you mean, had?" John was starting to feel sick.

"Oh! God, no, John she's not... I mean, she's alive. It's not.. " Sam struggled to find the right words, eventually letting out a deep breath and opting to start again. "Okay, this is what I know. Elizabeth was in a car accident a week ago. Her car was hit by a drunk driver. She and her niece were in it at the time. Her niece is fine, just some bruises, but the car was hit on the driver's side...." she hesitated.

"Sam, just spit it out" John pleaded.

"She was in a coma for a couple of days."

John sat heavily on the bed, shock settling in.

Sam continued, "She's awake now, but she's a little disoriented. She's been talking about Atlantis, about the Wraith, about you... they've moved her to a military facility to recover. Her brother's freaking out because he hasn't been able to see her as much as he wants to... that's why he was calling you"

"And he thinks I don't care enough to get back to him" John sighed. "I have to go back" he insisted.

"I don't know if we can arrange that, John, if you were family maybe, but.."

"I have to go back."

Sam reached out, touching his arm, "Look I understand how you feel, but..."

"No, I don't think you do. I know these people. Her brother, her niece. I have to go back, for their sake as much as for Elizabeth."

Samantha Carter sighed, turning away and walking to the door "I'll message Jack back... see what can do," she promised.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard rushed into the hospital, too little sleep and too much worry clear on his face. He approached the information desk "I need to see Elizabeth..."

"John!"

He turned just in time to see Abby running towards him, and was almost bowled over as she threw her arms around him.

"Hey, kiddo," he said softly "where's your Aunt Lizzy?"

Abby Weir pointed down a hallway, where he could see her father, standing outside a room, talking to a doctor. "I thought you weren't coming" she said to John "they said they didn't think you'd be coming."

"Well, they thought wrong," John told her, reaching for her hand and walking towards Matthew and the doctor.

As they approached, Matthew broke off his conversation with the doctor, turning to John "I didn't think they'd been able to get hold of you"

"It took a while, General O'Neill's message .... took a while to get to me .... I was overseas." John hated having to lie to the Weirs, but there wasn't much more that he could do.

"I don't understand why they've brought her to a military hospital," Matthew was clearly frustrated. "They keep talking about classified information and how she's a security risk. My sister, the security risk.. I know she's taken part in some high stakes negotiations, but they're acting as though the world's at risk from something she knows.... I just... our mother's not coping with this very well, we had no idea Elizabeth had anything to do with the military..."

"I know," John said calmly "There are so many things I want to tell you, but the classified information talk.. it's real." He decided to change the subject "How is she? Can I see her?"

"Sure.... she's just through there," Matthew motioned towards the door beside her. "If you can sit with her, I might take Abby to get something to eat. We've been here all day..."

"I'll be here when you get back," John promised.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John took a deep breath as he walked towards the chair beside Elizabeth's bed.

He sat, taking in the view of her in front of him. She was sleeping peacefully, or so it seemed, but she had several bruises on her face, and a broken left arm. He reached out, taking her right hand in his, and pushing a strand of hair back from her face to reveal yet another bruise.

John was there for an hour before Elizabeth stirred, slowly waking up, startled to see him.

"John...."

"Hey there, sleeping beauty" he smiled at her confused expression.

"When did you get here... I mean how did you get here?"

"The usual way, and about an hour or so ago," he told her. "Carter told me what happened. I got here as soon as I could... the guys are all really worried about you..."

"How are they? How is everything?"

John laughed softly, "'Lizabeth, you've been in a car accident, you've been in a coma, you have a broken arm and you're asking how they are?"

Elizabeth smiled "Force of habit"

"Well, I'm sure Rodney will be happy to know that the first thing you did was ask after him, it'll do his ego good...."

Elizabeth laughed for a moment before taking a deep breath and clutching her side "Ow.. "

"Are you okay?" John asked, suddenly worried.

"Fine, just don't make me laugh.. bruised ribs..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was another week before Elizabeth had the doctors convinced she was well enough to go home. John stayed with the Weirs for three days, once again. He waited on Elizabeth hand and foot while Matt worked and Abby went to school, although she promised she was fine.

John helped Abby make pancakes each morning, since she insisted they were an essential ingredient when it came to healing broken bones, and he walked her to school before heading back to the house to spend the day with Elizabeth.

On his final day in LA, John enticed Elizabeth into a walk on the beach. Silence settled in between them, as it so often did, until he stopped dead in his tracks.

"John?"

"Let's sit for a minute," he said, clearly feeling flustered.

Something had been on his mind all day, Elizabeth knew that much. She sat beside him, waiting for John to say tell her what he was thinking.

"I can't do this anymore," he said.

Elizabeth took a deep breath, "Do what?" she asked.

"Do this you in one galaxy, me in another thing," he told her. "You're my closest friend and it took me a week to find out you'd been in a coma. It's... "

"The way it has to be," Elizabeth cut in.

"And that's okay with you?"

"No..." she said softly, "but what other option is there? You can't leave this job. It's too important, and they won't have me back. For whatever reason, they don't want me there."

"Which is stupidity. I mean, for someone with your skills... even if you're not leading the expedition, which for the record you should be, you absolutely have a part in it" John dropped back, lying on his back in the sand. "It's so frustrating. McKay makes some comment at least once a week, asking what Elizabeth would do... the fact that you're not there... it's insanity."

Elizabeth smiled, lying beside him and linking her good arm through his. "Thank you. For saying that. It makes me feel better to know you all still think about me as part of your adventure."

"You're not that easy to forget, 'Lizabeth" he told her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby Weir hung off John's arm as they waited in the security queue at LAX.

"So you can come and stay with us any time, John, right Dad?" she looked up at Matthew.

"Absolutely," Matthew Weir said with a smile, "Any time you're in town. Elizabeth wouldn't have it any other way."

"I'm hoping to get back in a few months... nothing firm yet, but you know, if the leave comes in... this is where I'll be"

"Can you be here for my birthday?" Abby asked, "It's in October. We're going to have a big party with a huge cake. Grandma's coming to town for it, too."

"I'd love to Abby, but I don't think I can. But, Elizabeth has a present for you from me... I sent it to her a while ago. Don't tell her I told you, and don't you dare go looking for it!"

Abby broke into a huge grin "Would I do that?"

"Somehow I think you would, you're trouble, young lady," John told her, earning himself a light slap on his arm.

Matthew looked around, searching the crowd for Elizabeth "Where is she?" he asked, sounding frustrated "We're near the front of the queue, and she's never going to forgive herself if you go before she gets here..."

Moments later, Elizabeth arrived, a smile on her face, and a bag in her right hand. "Some little pieces of .... home .... for you to take with you" she said, handing the bag to John.

He looked nervously at her, and tried to spy the contents, but she quickly clamped the bag shut "Uh! No peaking. Not until you get on the plane. Don't worry, there's nothing that'll get you in trouble with security in there..."

John smiled at her "Okay, I'm going to trust you on that..."

Elizabeth looked ahead, then turned back to John "Shoes and belt" she said firmly.

He rolled his eyes, letting go of Abby's hand and removing the shoes and belt before security could tell him to do it. Elizabeth had reached ahead to grab a plastic container for them to go into. "Organised, as always" he told her.

John placed the container on the ground, turning to the three people who'd accompanied him to the airport. "Well, I guess this is see you later," he said.

Abby pouted, and put her arms around him, "I'm going to send you photos from my party" she said "You know, in case you can't make it."

"Sounds great!" John turned to Matthew Weir, shaking his hand "I might see you in a few months..."

"That'd be good. We'll look forward to it" Matthew replied, before steering Abby away "Come on Abs, let's go get an icecream for the drive home..."

John, looked at the ground, kicking the plastic container ahead a foot or so, as he and Elizabeth neared the front of the security queue.

Elizabeth nudged him with her right arm, slipping it through his left. "You think you'll get leave?" she asked.

"God, I hope so..." he glanced ahead, seeing just two people in front of them "We're nearly there..." He turned to face Elizabeth "So, Christmas is ... about four months away. Think you can stay out of trouble until then?"

"Can you?" Elizabeth shot back with a smile.

"Point taken...." he laughed. "I'm going to miss you" he reached out, hugging her as best he could without hurting her injured arm.

"I'll miss you too," Elizabeth replied, kissing his cheek before the security guy reached for the plastic container and pointed John in the direction of the metal detector.

She waited there until he was out of view, eventually turning to find Matthew and Abby behind her, with three icecreams for the trip home.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John stepped over the businessman in the aisle seat, making his way to his spot by the window. He pushed his small backpack under the seat in front, and held Elizabeth's bag from the airport on his lap. As she promised, it had gone through secuity with no trouble.

He waited until an hour into the flight before he opened it, rummaging around and finding chocolates, DVDs, CDs... a huge selection of all items, much like the birthday gift she'd sent to Atlantis.

There had to be a note there, and John continued to search, digging his neighbour in the ribs accidentally at one point, before triumphantly pulling an envelope from the bag.

John opened it finding a homemade card from Abby inside. It was a picture of Sedge on the beach, drawn in pencil. Another item for the wall..

He opened the card to find Elizabeth's always neat writing inside.

"Dear John,

I can't tell you how much it's meant to me, having you here. Thank you for everything.

I wish there was a way that I could come back, but it seems impossible at this point. I can only hope that something changes in the future.

Keep yourself safe so you can bring Rodney to visit at Christmas. I want to see both of you in one piece!

Love, Elizabeth."
Signoffs by lostgrace
Dr Rodney McKay cornered John Sheppard as soon as he arrived back on Atlantis.

"Well," he demanded "how is she?"

"Hello to you, too, Rodney" John drawled.

"Yes, yes, hello Sheppard, how are you? Oh, sarcastic as always? Great, now how's Elizabeth?" Rodney shot back at him.

"She's okay," John said with a sigh "broken arm, but that's about all that's left of her injuries now. Physically, she's fine, although she did say she misses you, so I have to be concerned about her mental health"

"She did? She asked about me?" Rodney gave John a smug smile "Did you tell her I want to come and visit for Christmas?"

"Yes, Rodney, I passed on your message. You know you could write to her more than once every couple of months, and then you'd know how she is yourself instead of always having to ask me!"

Rodney rolled his eyes, deciding the conversation was no longer that interesting "You're in a mood from hell today... I think I'll go chat with Ronon. I'm sure I'd get a better conversation out of him... or out of one of the artifacts in my lab..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It'd been a long week. A long mission. John was glad to be back where he could wash the grime of a very primitive world off him. First stop, shower, second shop, real food....

"So, what's wrong with you lately?" Rodney asked.

"What do you mean, what's wrong with me?"

"Well, you know, pretty native girl practically throwing herself at you and you don't even look in her direction?" Rodney laughed "You're going to lose your title, Kirk"

"I never really had the title, McKay... it was all in your imagination.. now drop it."

"Oh, no, no, no. You're not getting out of it that easily Sheppard. What's the story?" Rodney was poking him in the arm now, adding to his aggravation.

"McKay, you want to live, you'll drop it!" John stormed off.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard took a bite of his turkey sandwich, before reaching for his notepad and pen. Now clean, with his favourite snack on his bedside table, he had a few minutes to write a quick note to Elizabeth before his team met with Carter.

"Dear Elizabeth,

I think it's quite possible I might kill Rodney before Christmas, so you may not get to see him after all...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John approached Teyla nervously.

"So..." he started. "You know Rodney and I have leave coming up, we're going to Earth for Christmas"

"Yes," Teyla replied. "Make sure you give my best wishes to Elizabeth"

"Yeah, yeah, I'll do that... so you know, Christmas involves giving people gifts..."

Teyla smiled knowing where he was heading with the conversation, but wanting to make him work for it.

John waited for a response, but it seemed none was coming. "....so, what I was thinking was, maybe.... I don't know, if you have time.... you might..."

Teyla finally took pity on him "You would like me to help you find a gift for Elizabeth"

"Yeah. I mean if you have time. If you don't, well, you know, I can always find something myself, so it's no big deal.. I mean it's not like I've never bought a friend a present before... I ...."

"John!" Teyla cut in, "I will gladly help you"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John and Teyla wandered through the Athosian market, packed with stalls carrying beautiful, handmade items of every variety.

Teyla raised an eyebrow, indicating a table filled with clay pots.

"No..." John shook his head "Been there, done that."

Teyla nodded, remembering. She'd pointed John in the right direction to find that particular item on Elizabeth's first birthday in Atlantis. He'd chosen it, after telling her what he wanted and asking where to find it.

They moved on to another table, filled with colourful jewellery with beautifully set stones. "Something like this?" Teyla asked.

John shook his head "I got her a necklace the first time I went back. It'd be like I had no other ideas if I got her another one..." He was getting frustrated. They'd been browsing for about an hour now. John was not a patient shopper at the best of times, and searching for something that even he couldn't define was wearing thin.

"I have an idea," Teyla said, grabbing John by the elbow and dragging him through a pack of people to a stall opposite them.

"Clothes? Don't you think that's a bit... I don't know... personal?"

Teyla raised an eyebrow at him "And a necklace is not, John?"

He had to admit she had a point there. "Well... I wouldn't know where to start... I have no idea what size she is. I get something too big, she gets offended. I get something too small, she gets upset... "

Teyla laughed "This, John, is why you have me with you!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John laid the dress out on his bed, admiring it. It was very.... floaty. That was the only word he could think of to describe it.

The dress was a very pale pink, which Teyla insisted would look good with Elizabeth's complexion. It had thin straps, embroidery and was made of a fabric that nobody on Earth would have.

Teyla had added her own contribution, in a beaded bracelet, saying that if John wouldn't get Elizabeth a piece of jewellery to match such a beautiful dress, she would. John had decided to get the same bracelet in a different shade, so Abby could have one like her aunt's.

He packed the dress up again, folding it carefully and putting it away for safe keeping. In under a month, he and Rodney would be on a plane, flying to see Elizabeth and her family.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So, anyway," Rodney said through a mouth full of potato, "they want me to check out this new scientist. I've seen her paperwork, but they want me to interview her. Something about conflicts of interest or some such rubbish..."

"But you can still come for Christmas, right?" John asked "Elizabeth's brother's asked both of us to stay with them... they have room"

"Oh, yes, of course. It's just I'll have to go back to Colorado a bit early.. might even pay a visit to my cat...." he smiled at the thought.

"Well you're going to love Elizabeth's dog. She's great"

"No," Rodney said firmly, "No, I won't. Cat person. Not a dog person, a cat person."

"Whatever," John replied, digging into what he thought was meatloaf. "But you know the more you hate her, the more she's going to follow you around, sniffing your butt...."

Rodney rolled his eyes, waving his fork in John's general direction to make his point "And that," he punctuated, "is exactly why I'm a cat person"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John sat on his bed, leaning against the wall. He'd make this short and sweet.

"Dear Elizabeth" he wrote

"It seems Rodney has a serious problem with dogs. Do you think you can train Sedge to follow him around the whole time we're there?

He has to meet with some scientist, by the way. He won't be with us the whole time. He has to go back to Colorado the day before New Year's Eve. I think we'll need a break by then after being with him 24/7 anyway.

Teyla says hi. We paid a visit to her people today. They're doing well.

I should go. Meeting. You know how it is, it never seems to end. We'll see you on Christmas Eve..."

He paused, not sure how to sign off. Elizabeth's letters had change since his last trip to Earth. They'd become more... personal.

John chewed on the end of his pen, making a split second decision, and putting pen to paper once again.

".... Love John"
Apologies by lostgrace
Elizabeth Weir stood nervously beside her brother and niece in the baggage claim area at LAX. It was ridiculous, she told herself. This was just John and Rodney, but she had such a case of butterflies.

"Do you see him?" she asked her brother.

"No, not yet," Matthew Weir replied "don't worry, they'll be here... if they'd missed the flight, we would have heard by now."

Elizabeth nodded, as she scanned the crowd in front of her. She wished John had travelled light as he usually did, but he insisted that Christmas meant more luggage, and therefore check-in was necessary for both himself and Rodney.

"I'm going to go and look for him..." Abby said, starting to walk away.

"Oh no you don't, young lady," her father told her, grabbing the hood of her top and dragging her back to stand in front of him "we're not going to lose you, too."

Abby huffed and puffed for a second, folding her arms in front of her and scowling.

"I just wish they..... Rodney!"

"Where?" Abby asked "Which one is he?"

Elizabeth pointed at a man not far from them, struggling to unload a fully packed suitcase from the conveyer belt.

"Rodney!" she yelled again, smiling.

He turned, finally having liberated his suit case, breaking into a grin as she approached him "Wow, Elizabeth!" He gave her the once over "Wow, you look... different. It's the hair, right? It's got to be the hair. It's good, long hair's good on you."

"It's been so long" she said, pulling him into a hug, "I've missed you guys so much."

"The place isn't the same without you," Rodney insisted. He stopped, suddenly realising they had an audience. "Hey," he said, waving in Matt and Abby's direction.

"Oh, sorry, Rodney, this is my brother Matt and my niece, Abby, guys, this is my friend Rodney."

Rodney and Matt got into the inevitable chat about airline food, customer service and the like, while Abby and Elizabeth continued to look around for John in the crowd.

"Rodney, where's John?" Elizabeth asked.

"Who knows... probably raced off some pretty young thing from the flight.." he laughed.

Elizabeth let her guard drop for just a second, but it was long enough for a few things to fall into place for Rodney.

"I'm kidding Elizabeth, I'm just teasing.. he's been very un-Kirklike, trust me... we were doing the one on each side of the conveyer belt thing, so it'd be easier to spot the luggage, so he must be over there somewhere." He pointed to the opposide side for the baggage claim area.

Elizabeth nodded, still looking a little concerned and started to walk away, closely followed by Abby. Rodney reached out to grab her arm, "Elizabeth, I was just kidding around, seriously."

She tried to smile for him "I know that, Rodney".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard finally freed his luggage from the conveyer belt. It had gone past Rodney's side first, and of course the scientist had missed it completely. For someone whose job involved observation, sometimes he was seriously lacking in that department.

He turned around, scouring the crowd, trying to spot Rodney, or maybe Elizabeth. There was no sign of either of them at this stage, though. He turned to walk towards the waiting area, and had taken no more than one or two steps when he felt a thump on his back.

"Abby!" he heard Elizabeth scolding.

Too late though, he had Abby Weir attached to his back in piggyback position. She laughed, dropping back to the ground. "Did I scare you?"

"No," John smirked, "but you nearly made me fall onto my suitcase, which has your present in it.... imagine if it'd been broken..."

"Whatever..." she mumbled, "hey does that Rodney dude ever talk about anything but food, because he and dad have been at it for ten minutes..."

"He found you, then?"

"He certainly did," Elizabeth said softly "he mentioned something about losing among the pretty young passengers from your flight."

"As if," John actually looked annoyed at the comment from Rodney "Now are you two going to just stand there, or do I get a hug from my favourite girls?"

Abby didn't need a second invitation, grabbing onto him for a moment. "And now," she said, stepping back, "I'm going to take your suitcase to dad!" she looked at it for a moment, suddenly realising just how big it was "It does have wheels, right?"

John laughed. "Yes, it has wheels"

"Okay then." she grabbed onto it with both hands and moved towards where she'd last seen her dad and Rodney.

John turned back to Elizabeth, placing a hand on each shoulder and turning her to face him. "He's an idiot, you know that, right?"

"I know... I just hate that they say those things about you....." she took a step closer to him, wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her head on his shoulder.

"You should be on the receiving end of it..." he mumbled, holding onto her.

Elizabeth stepped back after a few moments. "We should go, they'll be looking for us"

John picked up his backpack, and gave her pony tail a gentle tug, "Lead the way, Dr Weir"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby Weir opened the front door, calling out "Grandma, we're home".

John followed close behind with a couple of pizza boxes, trying to convince himself that after his introduction to Matthew, meeting Elizabeth's mother should be a piece of cake. Rodney and Matt had the luggage, while Elizabeth carried his backpack.

Mrs Weir hit the remote, turning off the TV. "Hey, how was the flight?" she asked, looking at the newcomers.

Matthew did the introductions, while Abby and Elizabeth went to find plates for the pizza. They took everything out to the balcony, sitting around the table and eating to the sound of the waves crashing on the sand. Abby and Rodney argued about the value of pineapple on pizza, while John answered Mrs Weir's questions about his work as politely and honestly as he could.

Elizabeth was quiet most of the night, stroking Sedge's head and staring out at the ocean.

"You okay?" John asked during a lull in his conversation with her mother and brother.

"Yeah, good. Despite Rodney, it's actually kind of peaceful right now, don't you think?" She stood, walking towards the railing to lean against it and take in the smell of salt and the sound of the waves.

John excused himself from his conversation and followed her, leaning on the rail next to her. "You know, he's okay with a kid to argue with now, but you should have heard him ranting on the plane," he glanced around to make sure that Rodney wasn't within earshot "I was ready to jump out at 30 thousand feet over Denver."

Elizabeth laughed "I can't believe you guys are both here. This is great. It's been so long that I...."

"Ha!!!!" Abby yelled, causing both of them to turn around. She was laughing now, and whispering to Rodney in a conspiratorial way.

Then he was laughing too.

"What's the problem, McKay," John drawled.

"You might want to look up, Colonel," Rodney answered with a smirk.

"Oh, you have to be kidding me," Elizabeth mumbled. Abby had draped mistletoe around the house in the last few days, and she'd gone around taking it all down again. Now she was standing below the one piece she'd missed.

John looked up and then raised an eyebrow at Elizabeth. "Can't break with tradition, 'Lizabeth," he told her, giving her a chaste kiss on the lips.

"Pfft! What was that?"

"Rodney?"

"Come on Sheppard, you forget I've seen you two do better than that before"

Five sets of eyes were suddenly on him. Abby looked like she was going to burst out laughing at any second, Matthew and Mrs Weir looked shocked, Elizabeth was clearly mortified, and John looked like he was going to kill him with his bare hands.

"No, actually, forget I mentioned it" Rodney tried to backpedal, not liking the look on John's face ".... I mean you were clearly under the influence.."

"McKay, you're making it worse. You might want to shut up now," John warned.

"I was not under the influence... mom, I was never... " Elizabeth shook her head at the situation, deciding silence was the best course of action, and busying herself by stacking the empty plates and heading to the kitchen.

Abby, noticing a distinct change in the mood grabbed the empty boxes and followed her inside.

"I think I'm going to call it a night," Elizabeth's mother said. "Tell Lizzy I'll bunk in with Abby tonight. She and Sedge can have their room back..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was ten minutes before John thought he could speak to Rodney without getting into a screaming match. Matthew Weir had followed his mother inside, leaving the two of them alone on the balcony.

John shook his head "What the hell were you thinking, McKay?"

"I wasn't thinking... it just came out."

"Well, that kind of crap has to stop just coming out, McKay. You've upset Elizabeth twice today, not to mention embarrassed her in front of her family."

"Twice?" Rodney looked confused, trying to figure out what else he might have said that could be construed as upsetting.

"Yes," John insisted "twice. That Kirk comment at the airport."

"It was a joke... she knows it was a joke."

John brushed a hand through his hair. "You don't get it Rodney. You need to back off with all the Kirk business, she's here, we're there. All she knows about what happens there is what she hears through us, and when you make comments like that..."

"Oh my God. I know you guys are close, but you're not seriously thinking... Are you insane, Sheppard? I mean there are long distance relationships, and then there's this. This, my friend, is clearly insane..."

John sighed, "Yes, I get that McKay, which is why nothing's happened, and nothing will happen until I can figure out some way to bring her back with us..."

"At which point it will be against regulations... I mean if she's back to leading the mission..."

"Do you think you could be any more of a wet blanket? Look, I have O'Neill checking things out. He says there's nothing that can be done right now, but that doesn't mean things can't change in the future"

Rodney nodded, clearly not convinced. "Okay, I'm sorry. I'll watch what I say from now on."

"It's not me you need to apologise to" John snapped at him.

Rodney sighed. "Well, which room is hers?"

"You might not want to go there right now, but it's the first on the left at the top of the stairs"

"I'm not even going to ask how you know that...."

John shot him an exasperated look, before heading inside to the guest room.

"I'm kidding.... I'm kidding, Sheppard..." Rodney called after him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rodney flicked on the light in the study, which was to be his room for the next few days. He rummaged around on Matthew Weir's desk, looking for a pen and a piece of paper, and sat down with a sigh.

"Dear Elizabeth,

This is hard for me to do, but I want to apologise for upsetting and embarrassing you today....."
Gifts by lostgrace
John woke to the sound of a sliding door shutting about four o'clock in the morning, followed by the distinct sound of Sedge's paws, padding across the floorboards. He got up, threw on a t-shirt to go with his track pants, and wandered towards the sound.

The house was dark except for a light coming from the kitchen. He walked in to see Elizabeth filling a water bowl for her dog, a familiar t-shirt, his t-shirt, covering her.

"Hey," he said softly.

Elizabeth jumped, startled to find someone else awake in the house, spilling some of the water on the floor.

"Sorry...."

"It's okay," she answered. "Did we wake you? Sedge had to answer the call of nature..."

"Yeah, but it's okay," John admitted. "I wanted to talk to you, and this is probably the only time we'll get without McKay..."

"What about McKay?" a sleepy voice asked from the doorway.

John let out a deep sigh and turned to Rodney "You have the worst sense of timing, you know that?"

"Whatever... is there any of that pizza left?"

Elizabeth couldn't help but laugh at the situation in front of her. A galaxy away from Atlantis, at four o'clock in the morning in someone else's house, Rodney could still rub John up the wrong way.

"A couple of pieces, but it's the one with the chilli sauce on it.." she said.

"I think I'll pass. What else have you got around here?" Rodney asked.

Elizabeth reached into the fridge, pulling out some cheese, and grabbed a loaf of bread from the pantry. "Grilled cheese?"

"That'll do..." he mumbled, heading towards the food to start making his sandwich. "anybody else want some?"

Elizabeth shook her head.

"You're seriously going to do that at ..." John looked at his watch "ten past four in the morning?"

"Why not? I'm hungry"

Elizabeth smiled, sitting down at the table. "Well, since we're all here... and this is probably the only chance we'll get to talk without my family around... why don't we all stay until Rodney finishes his snack?"

"Fine," John sat himself down in the chair opposite Elizabeth. "I think McKay here has something to say to you anyway..."

"Oh, I did, I... Elizabeth, did you get my note?"

She smiled at him "Yes, I did, thank you Rodney."

"And that's it?" John asked. "He's off the hook?"

"He's promised to behave himself for the rest of his stay"

"Yeah, I mean if I really wanted to stir the pot, I could have mentioned the .." he motioned towards Elizabeth's t-shirt "but I didn't."

John rolled his eyes, "Okay, why don't we just change the subject, here"

"Good idea," Elizabeth agreed "So tell me... how's our city?"

"Amazing. As always," Rodney told her. "There's still so much of it left to explore. So much of it that you could help us with... I don't know why they don't just swallow their pride and hire you as a consultant."

"I can understand it, Rodney. I led the expedition for three years. They probably think that having me there would undermine Colonel Carter in some way."

"She's a big girl. She can handle a bit of competition" Rodney insisted.

"There has to be a way to make it happen" John finally broke his silence. "I've spoken to Carter and O'Neill about the fact we want you back... they're both willing to listen, but it seems they're not big on action."

Elizabeth sighed "Not much point in talking about it right now then, is there?" She turned to Rodney "How are the civilians handling the whole military leadership thing?"

"It's 50-50" he answered. "They love Sam or they hate her. I think the fact that she has a scientific background has won some of them over, but she does tend to side with action man over there."

"I'm going to say it again, McKay, she does it because I'm right"

"Oh you are not... please"

"I am!"

"Gentlemen!" Elizabeth interupted, and for a moment it almost felt like they were back on Atlantis. "We have a week. Let's not waste it arguing"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Half an hour later, Rodney had finished with his snack, and Elizabeth decided they all needed to sleep, since Abby would wake up bright and early to go in search of presents.

She walked the boys to their rooms, calling out to Rodney softly as he entered the study.

He turned to look at her and she smiled at him. "Thank you. For the note. I know how hard it is for you to say something like that."

"I'd only do it for you, Elizabeth," he told her "you know that"

He closed the door, leaving John and Elizabeth alone outside the guest room.

"So, I'll see you in a couple of hours," John said.

"Yeah..."

"Hey," John whispered as Elizabeth started to walk away. "That t-shirt..." he tugged on the hem "looks better on you than it ever did on me..."

Elizabeth laughed "My brother hates it... it only makes me wear it more.."

"I think I know where Abby gets her feisty streak from..."

"It's taken you this long to work it out?" Elizabeth shot the comment over her shoulder as she walked away "I'll see you in a few hours... Goodnight John."

"Goodnight...." John watched as his t-shirt disappeared into the darkness of the house.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was startled from sleep by a thump on the bed beside her.

"Hey," a voice whispered "are you awake?"

She opened one eye for a half a second before closing it again "After you jumped on my bed, what do you think?"

"Good!" Abby started pulling back the covers "Come on, John and I are making pancakes."

Elizabeth groaned. She was so not a morning person, even on Christmas Day. "What time is it? And please tell me you didn't wake him up..."

"It's 6.30, and no, I didn't wake him up, he was sitting on the balcony."

"Hmmm..." Elizabeth grabbed the covers back "Give me half an hour..."

Abby let out a frustrated sigh and left the room.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was startled from sleep by a thump on the bed beside her.

"Go away, Abby...." she mumbled into her pillow. "I'm not getting up at 6.30 in the morning, pancakes or no pancakes..."

"It's seven, sleeping beauty..."

Elizabeth's eyes shot open, instantly closing again from the light.

John laughed. "I figured if Abby couldn't bring you to the pancakes, I'd bring the pancakes to you..."

"Is everyone else up?"

"Yup. Just you still in bed.."

Elizabeth sighed "Okay, I'm up..." she said, still making no moves to actually get up.

John chuckled. "Sure you're up..." Abby hadn't been kidding about Elizabeth being hell in the morning. He ran a hand over her head, "pancakes are on the bedside table... come down when you're ready..."

"...ten minutes..." he heard mumbled from the depths of her pillow as he left the room.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

True to her words, Elizabeth was downstairs ten minutes later, half-eaten plate of pancakes in her hand, and John's t-shirt replaced by a hooded top and jeans.

"Am I imagining things, or did these have chocolate chips in them?"

"Abby was feeling festive," John answered. "Nothing like a sugar hit first thing on Christmas morning."

"Hmmm... where is everyone?"

John laughed at her "'Lizabeth, you walked past them on the way in here... they're sitting by the tree waiting for you."

"I really need coffee....."

John handed her a steaming cup, and grabbed her free hand. "Come on, sleepy, there are presents to open..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The gifts were opened in record speed. John and Rodney's items from the Athosian market amazed the Weirs. Abby was especially impressed with John's gift of a bracelet, just like Elizabeth's but a slightly darker shade of pink.

Once all the items under the tree had been opened, Elizabeth turned to John "Yours isn't in here... come with me..."

She led him outside to the garage, where a surf board leaned against the wall, wrapped in a large red bow.

He looked it over "Wow... someone did their research..."

"Is it okay?" Elizabeth asked "I mean, we can take it back and get another one if it's not right. I just knew that you loved surfing.... and I thought, you could leave it here and use it when you visit.... I mean if you want to keep visiting... or if you wanted you could.."

"It's perfect, 'Lizabeth" John assured her "and it's not going anywhere. I like it right where it is."

She smiled "Just like the dress, then.. I was thinking I'd wear it on New Year's Eve...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Time flew and it seemed like no time at all before Rodney had to go back to Colorado Springs to meet with his potential scientist. John and Elizabeth took him to the airport, waiting in the security queue with him. Elizabeth collected a plastic container for him to place his shoes and belt in, and linked her arm through his as they waited.

John couldn't help smiling. Elizabeth still had the aura of a leader, but her time away from them had made her so much more open with her affection towards them.

Elizabeth held onto Rodney's arm until the last possible moment, then giving him a quick hug, telling him to come back any time, and grabbing a plastic bag from John.

"What's this?"

"It's for the trip back... don't open it until you get on the plane..." Elizabeth knew he'd appreciate the stash of chocolate. It would most likely be gone before the flight had even taken off.

Elizabeth watched as Rodney went through security, keeping her eyes on him until he disappeared from view. Then she turned to John "I guess we should go home...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The drive back to Matthew Weir's house was silent, Elizabeth with her bare feet up on the seat, arms wrapped around her knees, staring out the window. John glanced at her out of the corner of his eye every so often.

"Are you okay?"

"Hmmm?"

He'd obviously broken into her thoughts "I asked if you're okay...." he repeated, eyes now back on the road.

"Yeah..." she sighed. "Just sad.."

"Don't worry about McKay. He'll be fine. And now that he's been here once, you're going to have to issue a restraining order if you want to keep him away. I think he got a bit attached to Abby and Sedge despite himself...."

"Mmmmm.. he did, didn't he?"

John turned and smiled at her, "How could he not?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mrs Weir had gone home by the time New Year's Eve came around. Matthew Weir was having a party at his home, inviting clients and colleagues. Abby busied herself finding music for the event, while John and Elizabeth sorted out finger food.

By the time the first guests arrived, the house was lit up like a Christmas tree.

Elizabeth came down from her room wearing John's Christmas dress. She'd left her hair down and the only accessories she wore were her Pegasus necklace and Teyla's beaded bracelet. She glanced around, looking for John, finally finding him patting Sedge in the corner, wearing jeans and the white linen shirt that Abby had (at her suggestion) chosen as her own Christmas gift for him.

She wandered over to his corner, picking up a drink for each of them on the way.

"You look amazing," John told her, reaching out to take a glass from her. He couldn't believe how well the dress fitted her. It was perfect. Teyla certainly knew her sizing.

Elizabeth smiled "You don't look so bad yourself, Colonel Sheppard"

The two of them spent most of the night apart after that, mingling with Matthew's colleagues, clients and friends. At ten to midnight, John finally found her again, sitting on the stairs with Abby, watching the guests below.

"Hey, 'Lizabeth" John reached out a hand "Walk with me"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The beach was packed with people celebrating the New Year. John and Elizabeth found themselves near the pier, still hand in hand, just silently watching the ocean.

As the countdown began, John turned Elizabeth to face him. "Can't break with tradition..." he told her.

When midnight struck, he leaned down and kissed her, lingering just a second longer than appropriate for two people who insisted they were just good friends.

He studied her expression, and reached out, twirling a strand of her long hair around his finger. "I'm going to kiss you again, okay?"

John leaned towards Elizabeth again, and was stunned when she put her hand in the centre of his chest and pushed him away.

"No." She said firmly.

"No?"

"No"

John let out a frustrated sigh, "I don't understand."

"No. How hard is that to understand?"

"I understand no," he told her, "I just don't understand why."

Elizabeth had turned and was heading back along the beach, clearly upset with him.

"Elizabeth, stop!"

She stopped dead in her tracks and turned to face him. "This isn't going to work," she whispered. "You there, me here, seeing each other maybe three times a year... I'm not going to be part of your girl in every galaxy harem"

John was stunned "I'm going to kill McKay...."

"It has nothing to do with Rodney," Elizabeth insisted. "This talk has been around for a lot longer than this past week."

"And that's all it is, talk. There's nothing in it...."

Elizabeth turned and started walking.

"Where are you going?"

"Home" Elizabeth looked back to see John right behind her "Stop following me"

John rolled his eyes "I'm not following you. It's after midnight on New Year's Eve. There are drunk guys everywhere. You're walking on a beach... I'm making sure you get home safely"

His explanation only served to make her walk faster.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John wandered onto the balcony the next morning to see Matthew Weir surveying the damage.

"This is going to be one hell of a cleanup job" he said.

"Yup. It's not pretty... I wonder how much Abby will do for her allowance.." Matthew pondered. He turned to take in John Sheppard "You look like crap, by the way."

"I feel like crap," John mumbled. "Hey, has Elizabeth surfaced at all this morning?"

"Nope. Came in about 12.30, stormed up the stairs with a face like thunder and hasn't been seen since... I don't know what the hell is wrong with her.."

John sighed, running a hand through his hair "Yeah, I might have something to do with that..."

Matthew looked surprised "What happened?"

"Promise you're not going to go all protective big-brother on me..."

Matt was starting to look worried now "What happened?"

"I tried to kiss her..." John confessed. "Then she went into some rant about how she didn't want to be one of my... " he struggled to find an appropriate term, "... girls in every port."

"Wow"

"Yeah... look it's been great and everything, but I'm going to get a hotel room for tonight. I don't want to upset her or anything.. I fly out tomorrow, so it's no big deal...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was three in the afternoon before Elizabeth finally made an appearance. She'd only been able to ignore Abby's banging on her bedroom door for so long.

She wandered into the kitchen to find Matthew pouring himself a coffee.

"Want one?"

"Sure...." she said softly. "Hey, is John around? I really need to speak to him."

Matt took a deep breath. "He's checked into a hotel, Lizzy. He said something about you being upset with him, and not wanting you to feel uncomfortable."

Elizabeth slumped in her chair, dropping her head into her hands.

"Lizzy?"

She looked up. "Matt, I think I just screwed up the most important relationship of my life."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard stood alone in the security queue at LAX. Matthew Weir had offered to take him to the airport, but John told him he didn't want to impose.

He spoke to Abby briefly on the phone, apologising for disappearing on New Year's Day, and asking her to keep writing and sending her pictures and photos.

John was actually looking forward to getting back to McKay, though he'd never say it out loud. He needed some familiarity right now, and besides Elizabeth, there was nobody more familiar on Earth than McKay.

He kicked his backpack along a foot or so, and pulled the now almost empty suitcase behind him.

"Shoes and belt..." a voice whispered uncertainly beside him.

He looked down to see Elizabeth standing there with a plastic container in her hand, looking terrified that he'd ignore her or yell at her, or just tell her to go away.

John managed an unsure smile, and removed both his shoes and his belt, placing them in the container that Elizabeth still held.

Elizabeth's features relaxed slightly at the gesture, and he gave her a light pat on the back before kicking his backpack and pulling his suitcase another foot forward.

At the head of the security queue, he turned to her, licking his lips nervously as he tried to think of something to say "So....."

She thrust a scrap of paper at him. "For on the plane" she insisted.

"Okay...." he replied as he disappeared through security.

Elizabeth stayed until he was completely out of sight.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As the plane took off on its flight to Colorado Springs, John reached into his pocket, pulling out the Hello Kitty note paper Elizabeth had written on. It was from the pad that Abby kept in Elizabeth's car. That told him it was a last minute decision on her part.

He opened it, nervously, not sure if he wanted to see what she'd written.

"Dear John,

I'm sorry. I trust you. I love you.

Elizabeth"
Loss by lostgrace
Elizabeth Weir had never felt so vulnerable or uncertain in her life. It had been two months since she'd heard from John, and she had no doubt the events of New Year's Eve had ruined their friendship forever.The more she thought about it the more she felt like an idiot. To give him a note like that when he was clearly annoyed with her... she'd continued to write to him every day. Nothing in depth, just telling him about her life, about what Abby and Matthew had been doing... that she missed him.

And still there was no return letter. It was February now. Fourteen months since she'd left Atlantis, and she felt more lost than ever

She was also feeling like a 'stupid girl', chasing after a guy who wanted nothing more to do with her.

Elizabeth took out her note pad, promising herself this would be the last letter she'd send him. She wanted to regain her self respect, and writing to him every single day was not the way to do it.

"Dear John," she wrote

"I want to apologise for bombarding you with letters for the past two months. I realise now that you haven't returned them for a reason, and I understand why.

I'm very sorry about what happened on the beach on New Year's Eve. I was scared of letting myself get even more attached to you, and I used your alleged reputation as a way of taking the focus off my fears and putting it all back on you.

I would love to continue our friendship. I value our friendship. More than anything. I miss it.

If going back to the way things were before New Year's Eve sounds like something you can do, then I'm very happy. If not, I understand but I will miss you.

Abby is upset that she also hasn't heard from you. Please don't take this out on her.

I await your reply,

Elizabeth"

She looked at the note, deciding this was as good as it was going to get, and placed it into an envelope.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby, Elizabeth and Sedge walked along the street, heading off to mail John's letter.

"I don't know why you're bothering," Abby said "It's obvious he doesn't like us anymore."

Elizabeth didn't know what to say. John's silence towards her was one, thing, but ignoring an 11 year old girl who was clearly infatuate with him.. she was surprised that he'd been so uncaring towards her niece.

"This will be the last letter, I can promise you that," she told Abby. "If you see me even pick up a pen, remind me that I'll be making an idiot of myself..."

"He's the idiot," Abby insisted "You're way too good for him..."

Elizabeth smiled, linking her arm through her niece's. "Thanks. I wish I could believe that...."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another month went by. It was March, and Elizabeth still had no word from John. Nothing at all. Not even a 'thanks but no thanks'. She'd begged and pleaded with him to answer her. To let her know how he felt. But still there was nothing.

She'd started to write another letter, but reminded herself that she wasn't going to be the stupid, infatuated girl. She'd torn it up and thrown it out.

Elizabeth worked hard to get her mind off things. She increased her tutoring hours and even took a job working part time in a bookshop. She walked Sedge twice a day, and took Abby to soccer. She barely had a moment to herself to think, and that was the way she liked it. The way she needed it.

Matt had tried to set her up with James again, hoping that she'd get over John once and for all if she had someone else to think about. She'd once again resisted, telling him to give her a break and give her time to sort herself out. She found it offensive that Matt could think that her feelings for John were so inconsequential that she'd just latch onto the next guy who came along.

Elizabeth sat down at the table in the kitchen and reached for her notepad.

"Dear Rodney," she wrote.

"It's been a while since I've heard from you, so I thought I'd put pen to paper and send you a quick note. I hope you're well, and not suffering too much from the military types. Give my best wishes to Major Lorne, Teyla and Ronon.

Have you spoken to John lately? That's a stupid question, of course you've spoken to John. I haven't heard from him for two months, so I was wondering how he is. Take care of him for me.

I'm enclosing some chocolate bars for you. I'm sure you'll devour them very quickly, but there will always be more later.

I miss you,

Elizabeth"

She placed the letter in a padded bag, the postage stamps already on it, and several chocolate bars inside.

"Abby," she called up the stairs. "bring Sedge down, we're going for a walk"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The days dragged on for Elizabeth, as April closed in. She'd still heard nothing from either John or Rodney. It was like she'd lost both of them through one act of stupidity.

She sat on the balcony with Sedge, staring out at the waves and watching Abby doing cartwheels on the sand. She felt like she'd gone from world renouned diplomat to soccer mom in the space of 15 months. All hopes of a return to Atlantis were lost. Her two greatest supporters were no longer speaking to her.

Matthew Weir wandered onto the balcony with two glasses of water. He passed one to his sister and sat beside her.

"Thanks"

"No problem... so, still nothing?"

"Nope," Elizabeth laughed at the situation she found herself in. "Can you believe that I've been so stupid about this? More than three months... waiting. Well, this is where it ends."

"It's not easy to lose someone you love," Matt told her.

"Loved" she insisted. "Past tense. I need to think of it in past tense."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tara's tutoring session had gone well. Elizabeth liked the German tutoring sessions the best. There was something she loved about the language, and she was thrilled to think that young people shared her passion for it.

She opened the door to let her out "So, I'll see you next Thursday... same time, okay?"

"Yeah, I'll see you then. Thanks Elizabeth!" Tara walked up the Weir's driveway to her mother's waiting car. Elizabeth peered out into the darkness, spotting another car out there. Just across their driveway. She walked up the driveway, deciding to give whoever it was a piece of her mind. The last thing she needed was for her brother to come home in a bad mood because he couldn't get his car into the garage.

"Excuse me," she called out. "Do you think you could.." she stopped dead in her tracks, "Jack!"

"Good evening Dr Weir..." Jack O'Neill answered. "Mind if I come in? I have to speak to you."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth ushered Jack into the lounge area of her brother's home.

"If you're going to offer me another job in DC, I'm not interested," she told him firmly.

"No... " he was obviously choosing his words carefully. "It's a little more important than that."

"What?" she was curious now. Jack had done nothing but talk to her about working for him since she'd returned to Earth.

"It's about Colonel Sheppard and his team."

"What about them..." she tried to sound as though she didn't care.

Jack sighed. "Look, I know you're close to them, but you understand there are certain things that are classified...."

"And?"

"Okay. They've been MIA since the week after they left Earth. We have no idea where they are. We have no idea what's happened. Colonel Carter has teams going through the gate every now and then in search of them, but really, it's getting to the point where we're beyond hope."

Elizabeth stared at him in shock.

"Elizabeth, are you okay? I think you should sit down." Jack moved towards her, bringing her back to sit on the couch next to him.

"It's taken you this long to let me know?" she looked distraught, and Jack was terrified she was going to start crying. He didn't deal well with tears. "I've been sending them letters for months, Jack. Every day. I've heard nothing from them. Can you imagine ... and now you tell me they're missing... that they've possibly been dead that whole time?"

"I'm sorry...."

Elizabeth laughed at the absurdity of the situation. "I've been wallowing in self pity about how they didn't want to talk to me anymore and all along it's been so much worse...."

"I'm so sorry, Elizabeth. You were supposed to be notified a month ago, but somehow it didn't happen... I just... "

"I don't want to hear it, Jack." Elizabeth stormed out of the room, onto the balcony.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

May came around and Elizabeth had heard nothing more from Jack. She'd told Matthew that John and Rodney were missing in action in the Middle East. It was the closest thing to the truth that she could come up with, and she needed to tell him something to stop him from hating John for the way he'd treated her.

It was a Friday night towards the end of the month when she heard a knock on the door, and opened it to find Jack, in his dress uniform, standing outside.

She took a deep breath, gripping the door frame as her legs felt like they were going to give way.

"Oh, no, Elizabeth... No, it's good news" Jack insisted on seeing the panicked look on her face.

He reached for her arm and walked her into the house, sitting her down on the couch. She still hadn't said a word.

"Elizabeth, they're fine. Sheppard's fine. A little malnourished.. they're all a bit sunburnt... they've been working as slave labour...but they're okay." He put his arm around her, pulling her towards him "They're okay. Everything's fine..."

Jack heard a soft sob from her and held onto her tighter.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At one o'clock on Saturday morning, Elizabeth reached for the notepad and pen she kept beside her bed.

"Dear John..."
Escapes by lostgrace
To say that John Sheppard and Rodney McKay were going stir crazy in the SGC infirmary would be an understatement. Between them, they'd managed to piss off every doctor and half the nurses in the place with their attempts to escape.

Rodney had moaned from day one about the substandard food compared with Atlantis, and John had threatened to flatten the next person who refused him access to a phone. After a week, they were finally allowed a day's leave from the infirmary, under the condition they stayed together and didn't go far.

Rodney had asked their exact definition of 'far', saying that technically speaking London or Mexico weren't far, given how far they'd come from.

In the end, John and Rodney settled for commandeering a car, and deciding on a trip to Denver.

But first, John needed a phone.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth had just stepped in the door when the phone rang. It hung up just as she tried to answer, but rang again seconds later.

"Hello?"

"Elizabeth?"

It couldn't be.. "John, is that you?"

"Yeah... Rodney and I are in Colorado Springs..."

Elizabeth was stunned. "You're here? Are you okay? Why did they bring you back?"

"Something about a psychological assessment and a study of people who've essentially been in a prisoner of war situation. We've been trapped in the infirmary for a week, answering a billion stupid questions" he told her "and yes, we're fine."

"How long are you here for?" Elizabeth asked nervously.

"Just another day. I tried to call you, but they wouldn't let me near a phone...."

"Oh.... okay"

John could tell Elizabeth was disapponted. "Yeah, but we're free tomorrow. We have a day to ourselves, so we're taking a road trip to Denver."

"That's great..." she tried to sound convincing.

"So.. anyway, if you want to join us, McKay's booked a flight for you... if you don't, you know... that's okay, too" John tried not to sound too eager.

"Really?" Elizabeth sounded a little brighter at that information. "I'd love to see you both... what are the details?"

"I'll pass you over to McKay..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth left LA the next morning, for a flight arriving in Denver at 11am. She walked into the pickup area, looking around, spotting John and Rodney just 10 metres away from her. She grinned at them, rushing towards them and pulling them into a group hug.

Both were thinner than she'd ever seen them. Rodney still had a very bad case of sunburn and was actually peeling across his nose and neck. John had limped slightly as he walked towards her.

Elizabeth stepped back, again taking their appearances in. "For two people who were in a prison camp for so long, you look amazing. You could do with fattening up, but you look great." she insisted.

"Well, let's go get ourselves some lunch then" John said with a smirk. "McKay, lead the way!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two hours later, Elizabeth, John and Rodney were at the Hard Rock on 16th street, picking at the last of their burgers. The loud environment worked well for them. It meant they could discuss what had been happening without being overheard.

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to stay in my lab for the rest of my life!" Rodney told them "No more sunny planets with trigger happy natives for me!"

"Come on McKay..." John drawled. "admit it, you'd miss the action. There's no way you can stay away from it"

"Huh. Well, I can still do without the sunshine," McKay said, scratching at the back of his neck.

Elizabeth smiled, taking a deep breath before changing the subject to the on thing she'd been avoiding all afternoon "So..." she took another breath before continuing "I was writing to you guys while you were missing... I said some things....."

"It's fine, Elizabeth..."

"You read them?" She looked directly at John, clearly horrified at the thought.

"Yup. Forget it. You didn't know what was going on... you had a right to be upset..."

Elizabeth couldn't remember everything she'd written to John, but she knew there were some angry words in quite a few of her letters.

"I was awful, John.. I wish you hadn't read those.. I was so angry at you... I should never have thought that you'd ignore me like that, hurt Abby like that..."

"Elizabeth! It's fine...." he draped his arm around her, pulling her towards him, and planting a kiss on he top of her head. "Forget it... It's okay."

Rodney, sitting opposite them, looked from one of his friends to the other before deciding to make himself scarce "You know, guys, I'm going to find our server... ask for a dessert menu... maybe order... Get something to share..."

"Sure McKay"

"Any ideas?"

"I dunno, something chocolate?"

"Yeah... great idea... everyone loves chocolate, right?" He wandered off.

"He can be really sweet when he wants to be" Elizabeth said, watching Rodney leave and knowing he was doing it to give them space.

"Pity he doesn't want to be more often..."

The comment earned him a light slap on the arm from Elizabeth "Be nice!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The day ended too quickly, and it was soon time to take Elizabeth back to the airport.

John and Rodney waited with her as she stood in the queue for her flight to LA.

"It's been great to catch up..." Rodney smiled, giving his peeling neck a bit of a scratch. "We need to do this again, as soon as we get some leave"

"We do," Elizabeth smiled at him.

"So... I'm gonna..." Rodney motioned to a seating area not far from the queue. "It's been good seeing you, Elizabeth" he said, giving her a quick hug.

"You too"

John reached out, clutching Elizabeth's hand as they neared the front of the queue. She smiled at him "So we're okay?"

"We're great," John promised her.

"Great..."

"So.... " John said nervously "At the risk of being shot down in flames again... is it okay if I kiss you?"

Elizabeth smiled at him "I'd never forgive you if you didn't"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was quiet for much of the trip back to Colorado Springs, and Rodney left him to his thoughts most of the time. Eventually, though, his curiosity got the better of him.

"So... you and Elizabeth...."

"What about me and Elizabeth?"

"I saw what I saw, Sheppard, and let's just say you improved on the effort you put in on Christmas Eve.."

John rolled his eyes, glancing away from the road to give Rodney a glare.

Rodney continued, regardless. "So, I just want to make sure your intentions are honorable. She's my friend, you're my friend, I don't want to have to kick your butt down the track."

John laughed "As if you could.... and don't worry, you won't have to try"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The first thing John wanted to do when he got back to the SGC was call General O'Neill. It was late but he didn't care. Military people were used to being on call. Why should O'Neill be any different just because he was the top of the heap?

He dialled and waited.

"O'Neill"

"General. It's Colonel Sheppard."

"Sheppard... what can I do for you at this fine time of night?"

John cringed a bit at the sarcastic tone in his voice. Maybe half past ten was a little extreme a time to be calling someone so high up. "It's about Dr Weir, sir."

"Elizabeth? What about Elizabeth?"

"She needs to come back to Atlantis. We need her there. She's too valuable to be sitting around on Earth, tutoring high school kids" John replied.

"And that's what I've been saying all along, which is why I've offered her job after job in DC. She keeps turning me down."

John sighed, "With all due respect, sir, she has no desire to be in DC. She wants to come home."

Jack didn't answer him. John was thrown by the silence on the other end of the line. "We need her," he continued "we have so many instances where her abilities as a negotiator and linguist can be used. The expedition is lacking without someone with her skills."

"True, but she can use those skills from this side of the gate just as well."

"Sir, I don't think you're understanding me here..."

"Oh, I understand you Sheppard," O'Neill told him "But soldiers don't get to take their girlfriends to war.... "

This time John was silent, having no comeback for O'Neill's comment.

"Are we done with this conversation, Colonel Sheppard?"

"For now, sir, but we will be revisiting it" John said firmly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was 11pm. John Sheppard was in his quarters at the SCG, due to leave for Atlantis early the next morning. He grabbed a sheet of paper and a pen, settling at the desk to write.

"Dear Elizabeth,

In about eight hours, I'm making what might be my last trip to Atlantis. Today I've come to the decision that if the powers that be won't allow you to come home to us, I'm going to resign....."
Correspondence by lostgrace
John threw his jacket down on his bed and picked up his latest letter from Elizabeth, ripping the envelope open as usual. They were back up to writing once a day, something that came easily. When John thought about it, the letters were almost like a diary of their time apart during Elizabeth's enforced break from Atlantis.

John unfolded the paper and read,

"Dear John,

You are so sweet to consider leaving the expedition for me, and I love you for it, but don't give up hope.

I've started talking to Jack about possible consulting jobs that will keep me much closer to the program. I'm trying to talk him around to giving me a position where I'll be able to make trips to Atlantis.

I'm forcing myself to be realistic and not expect too much, but Jack has been so keen to get me back in some capacity since I left the leadership... John, he seems more open now than he has been. Did you speak with him at all? Something has changed in his attitude.. I can't put my finger on it.

Abby's sent a package for you. I think it's magazines and some more writing paper. Matt says hi, and wanted me to remind you that your surf board is waiting for you.

I miss you. I miss you so much. Please, please tell me you have leave coming up, and that you can visit us.

Love always,

Elizabeth.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth carried a box of mail from the car, "Abby," she called out "Can you get the front door?"

Abby ran from the passenger side to grab Elizabeth's keys and unlock the front door, following her aunt to the kitchen where she placed the box on the table.

Elizabeth opened the fridge, pulling out a bottle of water. She reached for two glasses, and started to pour a drink for both herself and Abby.

"Aunt Lizzy, if you don't hurry up, I'm going to go through it myself!"

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow at her niece and passed a glass to her. Both sat at the table and Elizabeth started to deal out the letters.

"You, me, me, me, you, your dad, me, me, me, me, me...."

"Is that all get?? Two letters? A month worth of mail and I only get two letters?"

Elizabeth couldn't help laughing. She dug around in the box a bit, knowing that John had planned to send Abby something special. She pulled a small parcel out, "You" she said pointedly. "And I'm not anywhere near done sorting yet..."

"Who cares," Abby snatched the parcel away. "I'm going to read my mail" She grabbed her two letters as well, and took off to the balcony, leaving the glass of water behind.

Elizabeth looked at the letters on the table in front of her, then closed her eyes, shuffled them around, and stabbed her finger down onto the table. She opened her eyes, and saw a lemon coloured envelope under her finger. She smiled, picked it up and carefully opened the envelope, making sure she didn't tear it.

"Dear Elizabeth" John wrote,

"I'll confess that yes, I did speak to O'Neill. It was a frustrating conversation, in which he told me that soldiers don't get to take their girlfriends to war. Can you believe that? I guess that confirms that yes, he does know about us. Given what I've heard about him and Carter, you'd expect him to be sympathetic.

I don't know what to think. I'm glad that you're having talks with him, and I hope that you have a better outcome than I did.

Things have continued pretty much as usual around here. You know, new planets, new people, Rodney managing to do something to piss off most of them.. Teyla having to patch up the differences.

I think about you all the time. I'm always wondering, what's Elizabeth doing now? Is she watching the ocean? Walking with Abby? Imparting her wisdom in the book shop or a tutoring session?

I have yet another meeting with Carter now, so I have to go.

I love you, Lizzy.

John xx

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was getting extremely sick of McKay's whining. It was just a bit of rain. They hadn't been shot at, they hadn't been threatened, they hadn't even seen any natives. It wasn't his fault the ruins were an hour away from the 'gate by foot, and it wasn't his fault the rain had started to come down.

"McKay, put a sock in it"

"Excuse me? Oh fine Colonel. It's fine for you. I'm extremely vulnerable when it comes to conditions like this... when I get pneumonia..."

"McKay, you're not going to get pneumonia, don't be a moron" John shot back frustratedly.

He heard a muffled giggle from Teyla and shot a look at her. She and Ronon were obviously very amused by McKay's characteristic whining. John, though, had had enough. The last thing he wanted to do right now was babysit McKay and his three man science team.

"This is insane" Rodney whined. "We've been walking for an hour. We should be there now..... we're never going to.... " he looked down into the valley below "Oh, look, there it is!"

The sight of the ruins improved his mood vastly. He and the other scientists chattered excitedly as Teyla shot a sympathetic look at John. "Now," she whispered as she walked past "he'll complain that we're not giving him enough time for his research."

John laughed as Teyla and Ronon walked ahead of him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Five hours later, McKay and his scientists were still fussing around the ruins, babbling excitedly about all manner of discoveries and possibilities.

John frustratedly plonked himself onto the floor, leaning against the wall. Ronon and Teyla were patrolling outside to make sure they didn't have any nasty surprises, and he was left watching the scientific team.

He reached into his pocket, pulling out a soggy envelope.

"Oh, great," he mumbled to himself. The envelope virtually opened itself, it was so wet. He carefully unfolded the paper inside, thanking whatever Gods were in charge in this particular set of ruins for the fact that Elizabeth's writing wasn't too blurry.

"Dear John" she'd written,

"So I'm Lizzy now, am I? You know what? I like it. Nobody outside my family calls me that. You are family now.... but if you ever call me that in front of McKay or Carter or anyone else there, I won't be held responsible for what I'll do to you!

Abby was very excited about her new earrings from the Athosians. Thank you so much for being so good to her. She adores you, but I think you already know that.

I'm writing this during a quiet moment at the bookshop, but the school kids are about to arrive. They'll take all the books out of order, knock things over, and generally go out of their way to annoy me, so I should go and give them my undivided attention.

I miss you, John. God, if you had any idea how much I miss you.

I'm continuing to talk to Jack in the hopes of getting myself back to you all.

My love, as always,

Lizzy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth stood on the sweeping staircase at the mansion Matthew had dragged her to for a work function. She watched all before her, laughing, chatting, dancing. She looked down, smoothing the front of the dress John had given her for Christmas, and let out a huff of frustration.

"Hey, how's it going?" a voice asked behind her. She turned. It was Matthew's friend James.

"Great. It's a wonderful party," she tried to be convincing.

"Something tells me you're being diplomatic..."

"Well, in a previous life, I was a diplomat, so that's quite possible," Elizabeth laughed.

"And you'd much rather be somewhere else right now.." James pushed.

"Well, yes. But it's not somewhere I can be, so there's not much point in dwelling on it."

"Hmmm. You know, I would have gladly taken you out for dinner when Matt invited me over that first time..."

"James.. "

"I know, I know. I saw you on New Year's Eve, remember? He's very lucky. I hope he knows how lucky he is."

Elizabeth smiled. "Yes, I think he does."

"And yet he's not here."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was furious. She'd insisted within moments of James saying what he said that she was going home. How dare he judge a situation he knew nothing about. His words to that point had been kind enough, but the tone in that one statement "And yet he's not here", left her irate.

Matthew had insisted they stay a bit longer, and was surprised when not ten minutes later he was informed that Elizabeth had taken a cab home.

Matt looked for James, eventually finding him chatting to a redhead on the balcony. He motioned to him to join him by the door, and James excused himself from the conversation.

"What the hell did you say to her?" he asked.

"What?"

"To Elizabeth. She's just gone home without telling me she was leaving. I told you to entertain her, not upset her"

"Nothing," James replied. "I just pointed out that that so called boyfriend of hers might actually be here if he realised how lucky he was to have her."

Matt gave him a disgusted look. "He's in the airforce. He's stationed in the Middle East, you idiot." He looked around for their boss. "You know what, tell Johnson I had to go home... family emergency or something"

He stormed out of the party.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When Matthew arrived home, he found Elizabeth, still in her pink dress, standing on the balcony, staring into the darkness.

"Hey, kiddo," he whispered.

Elizabeth took a deep, shuddering breath "Hey.." she replied, the emotion clear in her voice.

Matthew turned her to face him, and handed her the tissues he'd picked up in his way through the house "Don't you dare let him make you cry. The guy's an idiot. He knows nothing"

"I know..." Elizabeth dabbed at her eyes with the tissues and turned back to the ocean, silence falling between them.

"So.. you want me to keep you company out here?"

She smiled. "No, it's okay Matt. Go to bed. I just want to stand here and listen to the ocean for a while..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Matthew Weir switched on the light in his study and sat himself down at his desk. He pulled out a plain white, lined notepad, reached for a black pen and let out a heavy sigh.

"John," he wrote.

"If you could get leave, now would be a really good time. I'm worried about Lizzy. She's working to hard, she's not sleeping, and she misses you. I'd like it if we could organise a surpise visit. Any time you're up for it is fine with us. You're always welcome.

Abby's asked me to get you a gift, but I don't know if the airforce will let it through, so I thought I'd check with you first...."
Reunions by lostgrace
Elizabeth stood by the edge of the water, eyes closed, breathing deeply, inhaling the salt air.

Three months had gone by since she'd stormed out of Matt's boss' party. She'd written letters, received letters, and felt that despite John's physical absence, they'd settled themselves into a more stable relationship than most people could hope for.

Elizabeth took another deep breath, holding onto the Pegasus pendant around her neck.

"Someone with very good taste bought you that necklace" a voice said beside her.

Elizabeth broke into a grin, stunned. She turned around taking in the familiar face of John Sheppard, and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Oh my God! When did you get leave? Why didn't you tell me? I would have met you at the airport..."

John laughed, arms around her waist, lifting her off the ground for a moment before settling her back down with her feet in the sand "Matt and I thought it'd be nice to surprise you."

"This is the most amazing surprise ever," she pulled him down to her level and kissed him, making up for so much lost time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Abby, get inside"

"In a minute"

"Abby, I'm serious. Give them some privacy" Matt demanded.

"Dad, they're on a beach in the middle of the day.. they're not entitled to privacy!"

Matt rolled his eyes "Abigail Elizabeth Weir, get yourself inside now!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John couldn't take his eyes off Elizabeth. She chatted excitedly about her discussions with Jack O'Neill, saying that she was convinced that something could come of them.

"I want to be leader, I really do..." she told John. "But if that's not possible, and there's a chance to still be part of this amazing adventure... to be with you every day... I'll jump at that chance."

John smiled at her, glad to see she was so happy about her prospects after receiving Matthew's initial concerned letter.

"So ... here I am rambling on. How long are you here for?"

John sighed. "I leave on Sunday afternoon."

Elizabeth's face fell. "So we have 48 hours?"

"I'm afraid so... they have me booked for meetings from Monday to Wednesday, and I have to put in an appearance at a dinner with O'Neill and a few other big wigs on Sunday night."

Elizabeth tried to give him a convincing smile, "So I guess we have 48 hours to plan..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby was growing increasingly annoyed with Elizabeth for not bringing John into the house. Her father had refused to let her go onto the beach to see them, saying to give them some time. It had been an hour, and Abby was pacing around the lounge area of the house, sneaking onto the balcony to see where they were when she thought Matthew wasn't looking.

They'd been sitting on the sand that whole time, just metres away. So close and yet so far.

When the door opened, and Elizabeth stepped through, Abby pushed her out of the way to throw herself at John. "I thought you were never coming inside!" she said dramatically.

John laughed "Sorry for making you wait... I'll know better next time!"

"So, I hate to do this to you guys, but I need to go to the office. Conference call with Tokyo..." Matt said, glancing from Elizabeth to John. "I'm going to be in late, so if you guys could hang out with Abby...."

"Sure! That'd be great," John said, fairly convinced he'd hidden his disappointment at playing babysitter for the night. "what should we do, Abs? Movie? Pizza? Icecream?"

"Why do we have to pick one?" Abby asked, raising an eyebrow in a move that made John think she was just like a mini-Elizabeth.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was getting frustrated. Hanging with Abby was one thing. Having Abby plant herself between him and Elizabeth in the movie was another thing altogether.

He tried to glance at Elizabeth, but she was busy whispering something to Abby, that made the 11 year old laugh. This was a Johnny Depp movie, and he knew both of them had a bit of a crush on the actor.

John closed his eyes and let out a sigh. He was hoping that Matt would be home when they got back, but it wasn't likely. His planned 48 hours with Elizabeth was looking like anything but 48 hours with Elizabeth right now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby linked her left arm through Elizabeth's and her right arm through John's as they walked to get icecream. Elizabeth shot John an apologetic glance, and he shrugged. It didn't seem they'd be spending any time alone tonight.

When they got to the icecream place, John sent Abby to line up, handing her 20 dollars, telling her to get whatever she wanted, and making a specific request for himself. Elizabeth added her order to the list, and Abby happily went to line up in the queue.

John turned to Elizabeth, pulling her to him and wrapping his arms around her in a loose hug.

"I'm sorry, John," Elizabeth mumbled into his shoulder "she just loves you, you know that. She's excited to have you here."

"I know..."

"We'll get away some time tomorrow," Elizabeth leaned up to kiss him softly "I promise."

John smiled, just as Abby came back with three icecreams. She pushed herself between John and Elizabeth as they exited the icecream shop.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So, I finally got her to turn the light off" Elizabeth told John as she came down the stairs. "I didn't think she'd ever go to sleep."

"You and me both," John said, patting the couch next to him.

Elizabeth sat down beside him, grabbing his arm, draping it around her shoulders and playing with his hand. She glanced up at John "I'm really sorry... she just..."

"Yeah, I know..." John mumbled. "but she's in bed now. It's time for the grownups to play" He flipped Elizabeth so she was lying on the couch and he leaned down to kiss her.

Elizabeth smiled up at him "I can't believe you're here..."

"Believe it, Lizzy..." John said between kisses. "I've missed you so much.."

His hand slipped under her t-shirt and he ran his fingers up and down her side. Elizabeth reached under and removed his hand, placing it firmly above her shirt.

John smirked, and reached for her skin again. Elizabeth grabbed his hand, placing it above her clothing, much more forcibly this time.

John let out a sigh and sat up "'Lizabeth...." he whined.

She didn't reply, just raised an eyebrow at him.

"What the hell?" he asked.

"John, there's an 11 year old girl upstairs who could come down any minute. My brother could be home any minute. We're on his couch, for crying out loud. I don't want either one of them to walk in on us behaving like kids on prom night."

"So let's take it upstairs..." John suggested.

"You mean to the room that Abby walks in and out of at anytime of the day and night as if it was her own?" Elizabeth asked him with a raised eyebrow.

"Point taken... how about the guest room?"

"If she can't find me when she wants me, where else do you think she's going to look?"

John leaned back against the couch, closing his eyes "You're killing me here, 'Lizabeth..."

"I'm sorry," she told him. "We need to talk to Matt about them giving us some space."

"Oh yeah..." John rolled his eyes. "I can see it now, 'excuse me, Matt, could you and Abby get out of the house, because I want to get your little sister in the sack'. Yeah, that's going to go down really well.."

Elizabeth laughed at that, and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Oh, you poor baby... don't worry, I'll talk to him. For now, we're going to watch a movie."

"Like we haven't done enough of that today..." John mumbled, once again draping an arm around Elizabeth's shoulder as she reached for the remote.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was well after midnight when Matt got home, and John and Elizabeth were still sitting on the couch in front of the TV. Elizabeth had fallen asleep, curled into John's side.

Matt smirked at John, who in turn motioned to the couch on the other side of Elizabeth "Hey, could you? I can't reach"

Matthew looked around getting the hint. He picked up the remote control, flicking the TV off. The change of light woke Elizabeth who, without opening her eyes, mumbled "What time is it?"

"Almost one" Matthew told her.

"God, we need to sleep... " Elizabeth said standing up slowly.

"Sounds like a plan," Matt smiled at her.

"So I guess I'll call it a night... or morning as the case may be..." John stood and gave Elizabeth a light kiss. "See you in the morning, guys" he said, disappearing into the guest room.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Matthew Weir was standing in the kitchen, pouring himself a glass of water when Elizabeth came in. "So how was your night?" he asked.

"Good...." Elizabeth answered, apprehensively.

"But?"

"But... God, I can't believe I'm saying this...."

"Spit it out, Lizzy" Matthew insisted.

"We need... " she struggled for the right words "...some space..."

"Abby following John around like a lost puppy? I'll tell her to leave you guys alone unless you come looking for her."

"Actually, I was thinking more space than that...." Elizabeth sighed. "He leaves on Sunday afternoon... so ... space .. would be good."

Matthew locked eyes with his sister. "So... if we keep talking about this, I get the feeling we're going to get into the too much information area, am I right?"

Elizabeth blushed slightly "That's possible... but I want to make him dinner, hang out just the two of us... you know..."

Matt smiled at his sister. "You know what? Abby's been at me for months to take her to San Diego Zoo. I think we'll make a weekend of it. What time does John fly out on Sunday? Abby will pitch a fit if she's not here to say goodbye to him."

"His flight leaves at three," Elizabeth said with a smile. "and thanks, Matt."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby was torn between excitement and annoyance the next morning when Matt told her they were going to San Diego. Elizabeth talked up the trip, telling her to take lots of photos that John could take back to work with him.

Eventually Abby decided the trip was a good thing, not the least because they were spending the night in a great hotel. She waved happily from the car as she and her father drove away from the house.

"So, let's go.." Elizabeth said, after Matt's car was out of sight.

"Go? I thought the idea was to get them out of the house so we can stay in it" John whined.

Elizabeth shook her head. "No, we're going to do couple things. Like a real couple. Without an 11 year old pretend daughter hanging around. And then we're going to go shopping so I can make us dinner."

John sighed. "Okay, Lizzy, lead the way..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The day went by too quickly for Elizabeth. It seemed that in no time at all, John would be back on a flight to Colorado, and back out of her life for many months.

There was no guarantee she'd ever see him again, given the risk of his job. The thought of it terrified her, even more than it had when she was based in the Pegasus galaxy with him.

Elizabeth stood, blowing out the two candles she'd set on the table and reached out to take John's hand in hers. He rose to stand next to her, a questioning look on his face. Elizabeth smiled, kissed him, and, her hand still in his, led him up the stairs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard woke to a distinct feeling that he was going to sneeze. Something was definitely tickling his nose. He opened one eye, and saw a brunette head resting on his chest, Elizabeth's hair right under his nose. He closed his eyes again, smoothing her hair down and away from his nose.

It was then he realised how very light it was in Elizabeth's room. He opened one eye again, glancing over at the clock. "Shit!"

There was no reaction from Elizabeth, other than to wrap her arms more firmly around him.

"Shit!" he said again "Lizzy, we need to get up. Now!"

"Too tired...." she mumbled into his shoulder "need to sleep."

"'Lizabeth, it's 12.15 in the afternoon."

"Hmmmmm.. so?"

"Your brother and your niece will be here in 15 minutes, and I recall you saying something about not wanting Abby to walk in on this..."

Elizabeth sat bolt upright in bed, John's t-shirt hanging off one shoulder. "Okay, I'm up." she promised peering at him through one half open eye.

He smiled at her. "Okay, I'm going to run downstairs, get changed and put some coffee on... go take a shower."

She nodded, eyes once again closed, smiling as he gave her a quick kiss on the forehead.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After saying a quick goodbye to Abby and Matthew, John and Elizabeth had headed to LAX. They stood in the security queue, hand in hand. Elizabeth was too distracted to go through her usual shoes and belt routine, leaning her head against John's shoulder instead.

"I hate this," she said.

"Me too...."

Elizabeth looked up at John, stunned by the emotion so clear in his voice. Her eyes met his, and she could see he was on the verge of tears. She took a deep breath, wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I promised myself I wasn't going to cry," she told him "but now you're going to set me off..."

John didn't answer. He just ran a hand through her hair and dropped a kiss on the top of her head.

"I don't want you to go..."

"Just say the word..." John told her "I'll quit the mission. I'll start a flight school... "

"You can't do that.. please don't give up something you love so much." Elizabeth met his eyes with determination.

John sighed as though the weight of the world was on his shoulders. "Yes, I love it, but I love you more..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth watched until John had disappeared into the terminal. She'd handed him a note, as usual, and he'd told her to look under her pillow when she got home.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John reached into his backpack, fumbling around for the note from Elizabeth. He opened it, smiling at what he saw.

"John,

I can think of nothing to say, except that I love you.

Elizabeth xx"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After finally disengaging herself from a conversation with Abby and Matt, Elizabeth headed up to her room, slowly moving her her pillow out of the way. Under it was a medium sized box. She opened it, to find a silver, heart shaped jewellery box.

Elizabeth opened it, finding a note inside

"Elizabeth," John had written

"You have my heart,

Love, John"
Requests by lostgrace
John Sheppard wanted to hit something. "Where the hell is McKay when you need him?" he mumbled to himself.

Giving the scientist a random clip over the ear would make him feel a lot better about now. Except that it wouldn't really be that random.

Rodney had been recalled to Earth for four days, and had been whining about it since Samantha Carter had told him.

Shepard let out a sigh and walked in the direction of Rodney's lab, finding him arguing with Zelenka about something when he got there. The two continued bickering, oblivious to John Sheppard's presense until the Colonel let out a loud "Cut it out!"

Both stopped dead in their tracks.

"Colonel" Zelenka greeted.

"What do you want, Sheppard?" Rodney was clearly flustered.

"I need to talk to you."

"Yes, well I don't really have time. You know, a lot of work to do since the idiots in charge decided to send me back to Earth for the best part of a week to assess a scientist whose inclusion in the program is apparently a foregone conlusion anyway...."

"Rodney," John said firmly.

"Okay, okay... you have five minutes... " he shot a look at his colleague "Hey, Zelenka, you wanna go check on that test McMillan has running?"

Zelenka nodded, leaving Sheppard and McKay in the lab.

"So," Rodney said, turning back to John. "What do you want?"

"I need you to give Elizabeth this.." he handed Rodney an almost flat long, narrow package, tied with a pale green bow.

"What is it?"

"McKay!"

"I"m not going to give it to her unless you tell me what it is" Rodney insisted with a smirk.

John sighed. "It's just some candles, McKay. Tell her they're for next time..."

"Next time what?" Rodney suddenly screwed his face up in disgust "You know what? I don't think I want to know what they're for.."

"Oh for the love of.... " John was truly getting frustrated with his friend. "She made dinner. We had candles. Get your mind out of the gutter, McKay.."

"Oh, okay... well, I guess I can do that, if I get time to see her."

"I need you to do something else, too.. order two dozen red roses to be delivered to her."

"Two dozen?" the scientist spat back at him. "Two dozen? One dozen is a romantic gesture. Two dozen is going to send me poor..."

"Rodney..."

"Alright. Alright, I'll do it. But you owe me big-time." McKay gave Sheppard a disgusted look. "This whole business has turned you into a complete sap."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next morning, McKay was ready to head back to Earth. He still wasn't happy and he was making sure everyone knew about it, from Colonel Carter all the way down to the catering staff.

Seconds before he was due to leave, he was cornered once again by John Sheppard.

"What now?" he whined.

"Do you have the candles?"

"Yes, I have the candles... and yes, I'll send her the flowers..."

"Great. This is the note that needs to go with the flowers..." John handed Rodney a scribbled message on a piece of paper.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Rodney screwed up his nose as he took in the words. "anything else I can help you with?" he asked sarcastically.

"Actually, yes..."

Rodney shut his eyes, and let out a deep sigh. "What now?"

"I need you to talk to O'Neill," John whispered to him.

"You have to be kidding me, the guy hates me," Rodney looked shocked.

"Yeah, but he respects you. If you tell him we need Elizabeth here, he'll listen to you. And everyone else listens to him."

"This really is not my day..." McKay muttered.

"Rodney?" John looked pleadingly at him.

"Okay, I'll do it, but if he throws me out of his office, I'm blaming you for the whole thing!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth arrived at Denver airport at 10 in the morning and looked around for Dr Rodney McKay. She spotted him almost instantly, smile, waved and rushed over to give him a quick hug.

"It's great to see you, Rodney. I'm so glad you could get away for the day."

"Good to see you, too" he told her. She looked happy, and a lot less stressed than the last time he'd seen her.

"So what's the plan?" she asked, linking her arm through his as they left the terminal.

"I was thinking a walk... then maybe back to the Hard Rock for lunch. They have that amazing chocolate cake...."

Elizabeth smiled, squeezing his arm. Today was going to be a good day.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Burgers eaten, Rodney and Elizabeth shared a piece of chocolate cake.

"This is divine..." Rodney mumbled between mouthfuls.

"Well, a celebration isn't a celebration without cake, right?" Elizabeth said with a smile.

"Oh!" Rodney fumbled around "That reminds me...." He pulled out a small, flat package, tied with a bow, and put it on the table.

"Where did you have that?"

"Secret hiding place," he smirked. "Sheppard said to give it to you...."

Elizabeth looked from Rodney to the package and back again.

He rolled his eyes "Well go on, open it!"

Elizabeth unwrapped the package, finding two slim, pale green candles inside. They had a scent she'd only smelled before in the Athosian market. "Oh... they're beautiful" she looked back to Rodney.

"They're only candles..." he muttered. "He said they're for next time..."

"I made him dinner," Elizabeth told him, lifting one of the candles out of the box to breathe in its scent "we had candles, but these are so much more beautiful.."

"Yeah, right... " Rodney's tone suddenly turned more serious. "So... he's... you know, he's being good to you, right?"

Elizabeth looked startled "As far as know... I mean unless there's something you know that I don't... you're the one who's with him all the time.... I mean if he's.."

"Oh, no. He's behaving himself perfectly," Rodney insisted. "It's actually quite pathetic. He's turned into the world's biggest sap... I just wanted to make sure you're okay, that you're happy.."

"I'm happier than I've ever been in my life... apart from the whole two different galaxies thing..."

"Good... that's good... because, you know, I care about you Elizabeth, I wouldn't want to have to kick his ass to defend your honour or anything..."

Elizabeth smiled, taking Rodney's hand. "Thanks for the sentiment Rodney, but I think he'd kill you. Besides, I'm pretty sure he won't give you anything to kick his ass for..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rodney McKay took a deep breath as he headed into what was General O'Neill's temporary office at the SCG.

"McKay," Jack O'Neill greeted him. "Have a seat."

"Sure.... Okay." Rodney sat down, looking very uncomfortable with the situation.

"So, what can I do you for?"

"What? Oh, yes. Well, I wanted to talk to you about Elizabeth" Rodney said nervously.

Jack let out a sigh "Let me guess, Sheppard put you up to this."

"No... I mean sort of.. "

Jack fixed a stare on him.

"Okay, yes" Rodney confessed "but I wouldn't be here talking to you if I didn't think he was right."

"Talk away..."

"Okay. Well, I really don't see the point in having our foremost expert in Ancient sitting around in a beach house in California playing mom to her niece and working in a bookshop"

"She's working in a bookshop now?" Jack was clearly shocked.

"Yes. Do you see how insane this situation is?"

Jack shot a warning glare at him.

"So... anyway..." Rodney continued. "My suggestion is this. We create a completely separate department on Atlantis, for the study of the ancient language. Elizabeth would head that department, go on some missions as a translator and negotiator... "

"Is this your idea or Sheppard's?" Jack inquired.

"You think Sheppard's thinking enough to come up with this? He just wants her back on Altantis. He hasn't thought about scenarios" Rodney asked.

"Right, point taken." Jack answered.

"So?"

"So what about you? I mean you can translate the language, you have others who are as capable as you are..."

Rodney looked around, making sure the door was shut "Okay, I'm going to say something that doesn't leave these four walls..." he whispered. "I may be brilliant" Jack rolled his eyes. "but when it comes to languages, I have nothing on Elizabeth."

"Hmmm." Jack considered the proposition."What about having her here as a resource. You'd be able to send things back to the SGC for translation."

"Come on, Jack, you know how much time that would take. In an emergency situation, we need someone who can do it then and there. It's not just about Sheppard wanting to have his girlfriend with him. It's about base security. We need someone with her skills."

Jack looked him in the eye, deep in thought. "I'll think about it."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rodney McKay had been back less than 15 seconds when John Sheppard cornered him.

"So?"

"So, what?"

John rolled his eyes, and gave Rodney a clip over the ear.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"You know what that was for. Did you give her the candles?"

"Yes," Rodney promised, "I gave her the candles. She gushed over them. And yes, I ordered the flowers, I thought I'd get them delivered for her birthday, since you know, that's coming up in a couple of days."

"That's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?"

"I don't know, maybe because you're not thinking so much anymore?"

"I owe you one, McKay. Did you talk to O'Neill?"

"Yes, I talked to O'Neill... it was interesting... I don't know if he'll come around to our way of thinking, but he's considering it..."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah," Rodney muttered. "Just don't get your hopes up."

"No.. .no... of course not."

"There is something else I discovered while I was there..."

"What?"

"Well," Rodney started. "you know that scientist I was meeting with? Her name is Melanie Katz."

"So?"

"You know anyone else by that name, Sheppard?"

"Sure..." John struggled to think of the guy's first name "Sergeant Mitchell Katz"

"Yep. That's him."

"So?"

"Jesus, Sheppard, are you sure about this Mensa business, because I'm really doubting you right now!" Rodney was getting frustrated.

"What are you getting at?"

"He's her husband. The Sergeant, I mean. The scientist's husband. She was basically in, they just needed me to do a final assessment and sign off on it. Her husband being here gave her a foot in the door.... think about it..."

With that comment, he walked off.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth sat on the balcony, watching the ocean. Yet another birthday had arrived, and Abby had made her a mud cake, a piece of which sat on the table beside her.

She heard the doorbell ring, the door open, and her brother muttering something to the person outside. Then he made his way through the house to the balcony, where he presented her with the biggest bunch of red roses she'd ever seen.

"Oh, wow."

"Yeah, wow. I bet I know who these are from," Matthew said with a grin.

Elizabeth opened the card and read it.

"Dear Elizabeth,

I love you today and always,

John"
Interrogations by lostgrace
"Sit down, Colonel."

John Sheppard sat at Samantha Carter's desk, glancing over his shoulder as she shut the door, giving them privacy.

She walked slowly to her desk and sat opposite him. Staring. Assessing. Evaluating.

John fidgeted a bit, before deciding that staring her down was the way to go.

But still, she said nothing.

Eventually, curiosity got the better of him. "So, what can I do for you, Colonel Carter?"

Sam smiled at him, still giving him that look. "We need to talk."

John maintained eye contact. "Well, I figured that when you asked me to come here."

Sam sat silently again for a few moments, making him more and more uncomfortable.

Finally, she took a deep breath. "Do we have your commitment here, Colonel Sheppard?"

John was stunned that she'd ask the question. "Of course, Colonel. Have I given you reason to believe otherwise?"

Sam smiled. "Okay, do I personally have your commitment... your loyalty, John."

John Sheppard gave his superior a confused look. "Of course, Sam. You know that."

"Then what's this I hear about you making noise about wanting Elizabeth Weir back here?"

John stared down at the table in front of him, laughing softly "Okay, what are people saying?" He caugh her eye again. "Because you won't find anyone around here who can honestly say that I've been critical of you. Despite my loyalty to Elizabeth, I've been the one to tell people to give you a chance. To give you their respect."

"I know that, Colonel," Sam said. "and I'm grateful. I just want to know what's changed."

John sighed. "And again, I have to ask, what have people been saying, because I have never said anything remotely disrespectful about you. I've been your biggest supporter in this change of power."

"So you're saying that your push to get Elizabeth here has nothing to do with wanting me out of the job?"

"I want her here because she's an expert in her field. She's an incredible negotiator and diplomat. She's a huge asset and she's being wasted, sitting around on Earth." he shook his head "As much as she loves taking care of her niece, she wants to be here more. And she's a friend. She's a friend of everyone here. People love her, people miss her."

"And that's it? Because if I hear that you've been questioning my leadership or talking me down in front of your men, you'll be on the first ship out of here."

"Of course that's it," John told her.

"Okay, If that's all there is to say, you're free to go."

"Great. I'll see you later, Colonel" John smiled as he left the room, but muttered under his breath "maybe I want to be on the first ship out of here."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Doctor Rodney McKay entered Samantha Carter's office, to find her sitting behind the desk, playing with one of his dohickeys.

"Did you steal that from my lab?" he asked, startling her out of her concentration.

"What? No. What makes you think I'd steal something from your lab?" Sam quickly put the item into her desk draw, away from Rodney's prying eyes.

"Whatever. I know exactly where it came from, and don't you forget it!"

Sam felt like sticking her tongue out at him, such was their relationship, but she needed information out of him before she did that.

"Take a seat, McKay."

Rodney flopped down on the couch.

"I meant at the desk, McKay"

"I know you did. But this is more comfortable, and this, Carter, is where I'm sitting." He smirked at her, daring her to disagree.

"Whatever...." she mumbled. "I want to talk to you about Sheppard. And about something else that I've heard from Jack."

"What in particular do you want to know about Sheppard? I mean he's not exactly an open book, but I know him pretty well."

"Does he have a problem with authority?"

Rodney let out a snort. "Please Sam, ask me a hard question. YOu know he has a problem with authority!"

Sam sighed. "Okay, let me rephrase. Does he have a problem with me being in authority, because I'm hearing story after story from the SCG about him trying to get Dr Weir back here. Actually, the latest story has you pushing for the exact same thing."

Rodney squirmed uncomfortably. "Neither one of us has said anything about her regaining the leadership," he insisted. "We want her as part of the team. We know her, we trust her... she's amazing at her job. We could do with someone who has her negotiating skills."

"And that's all it is. It has nothing to do with you wanting to have a civilian back in the top job?"

"Come on Sam," Rodney sighed, frustrated. "you know that I'd rather have a civilian in charge. You also know that the military types would rather have an airforce officer in charge. You can't please everyone all the time."

"Hmmm" Carter was still appraising him. "Okay. Just know that I know the two of you have been pushing to get her back here. And know that I don't intend to be vacating this office."

"Fine" Rodney answered. "are we finished?"

"You can go, McKay."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rodney stormed into John's quarters, finding him tossing a football up and down.

"I just had the most bizarre conversation with Carter..." he said.

"Join the club..."

"You too?"

"Yup." John replied, tossing the ball into the corner.

"It's very .. uncharacteristic of Sam.." Rodney muttered. "So was she interrogating you about Elizabeth?"

"Pretty much... I'm surprised she didn't bring up our relationship. I was sure she was heading in that direction. Instead she seemed caught up in whether or not I'd been bad-mouthing her."

Rodney let out a laugh. "Tell me about it. She thinks you're badmouthing her, she should hear what the scientists are saying about her selling out to your kind...."

"Hmmmm."

"So she didn't mention you and Elizabeth as in 'you and Elizabeth' at all?"

"No" John looked genuinely confused.

"She said nothing to me about it," Rodney told him, "but when it comes to you, I was sure she'd say something...."

"Maybe she doesn't know?" John suggested.

"Oh, please, how can she not know?" Rodney was just as confused with the situation as John was. "You think O'Neill's kept it from her? I mean he and Elizabeth get on well... Carter and Elizabeth... not so well..."

"I don't get it. I really don't," John told Rodney. "you'd think that with what we know about Carter and O'Neill at least one of them would be sympathetic... "

"They've been skirting around the regs for years" Rodney confessed. "I've actually thought that maybe that's why she's here. At least in part. There's no question about what's going on with them anymore, because she's not even in the same galaxy. At the same time, though, she has more leave back on Earth than you or I do, and O'Neill visits every couple of months.... it makes me wonder..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was cautiously optimistic about her meeting with Jack O'Neill. He'd called her three days earlier, asking her to meet with him in DC. He'd organised the flights, booked her a hotel for the night, and promised to meet her at the airport.

She was now standing in the arrivals area at Dulles, looking around, searching for a man in dress blues, and was startled by a tap on her right shoulder. She turned, to see Jack O'Neill in jeans and a grey shirt, standing behind her.

Elizabeth raised her eyebrow "Out of uniform, General?" she asked.

"Day off." he told her. "Catching up with an old friend."

Elizabeth smiled. Her prospects of returning to Atlantis may be looking up.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jack and Elizabeth sat in a park near the Washington Monument, coffees in their hands.

"So, I take it you wanted to do something other than go sightseeing today, Jack?" Elizabeth asked him.

"I want you to work for me. I thought you might find it harder to say no in person."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow at him. "You're charming, Jack, but not that charming."

He sighed. "What's the problem, Elizabeth? I'm offering you a great job, great money, a fantastic apartment thrown in... it's a chance to be closer to the program."

"It's not the program I want to be closer to..." she confessed.

"Sheppard."

Elizabeth nodded. "I love him, Jack... no... I'm in love with him. I don't think I ever realised the difference between those two statements until now."

Jack smiled. "Well, then I'm happy for you. I hope the bastard knows how lucky he is..."

"He knows.." Elizabeth told him, softly. "So you see now why DC is not so appealling to me?"

"No. I really don't. You're in California. That's a long way from Colorado Springs, and even further from Atlantis...."

"I don't expect you to understand... When I was... removed... from the leadership, I couldn't be in Colorado Springs. I felt sick just being there. It was so close to where I wanted to be, but the distance between me and my team...." She sighed. "California's familiar. My brother, my niece. They've been a security blanket. Abby's been someone to love, someone to take care of.. "

Jack nodded. "I think I get it...." he hesitated for a second "... for the record...you and Sheppard... how long has this been going on?"

Elizabeth smiled "It almost started on New Year's Eve, but I screwed things up... we've been together pretty much since he came back from that planet... from being held prisoner."

"So nothing at all happened when you were his commanding officer? Because if there's a hope of you getting back to Atlantis, and your relationship comes up, that question will be asked."

"Nothing happened," Elizabeth promised him. "You can hook me up to a lie detector test."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jack pulled out his credit card to pay for dinner.

"Thank you, Jack," Elizabeth smiled at her friend.

"All part of the service," he said with a grin.

"Can I ask...." Elizabeth mid-sentence, unsure how or if she should continue.

"Ask what?"

"I was wondering...." she paused again. "...John and me. Who knows about us? Because I'm worried about it getting around the SGC. About what people might say about his promotion from Major to Lieutenant Colonel... about the talk that might come up about when we were still working together."

"Nobody knows, Elizabeth," Jack promised. "and everything we've discussed today stays between us."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth Weir sat in a window seat on her way back to California. She pulled the tray down in front of her, took her notepad and pen out of her bag, and started to write.

"Dear John,

I'm on the way home from an all expenses paid trip to DC to see Jack O'Neill. He continues to try to get me to work for him, and I continue to refuse. I think he's starting to understand, though. To know exactly why I can't be in DC.

He knows about us John, but has promised to keep it to himself. I trust him.

I told him yesterday that I'm in love with you, and it occurred to me that I've never said it in so many words to you. But I am. In love with you. More than I ever thought it was possible to be.

I wonder if we would have come to these conclusions about each other had we continued to work together. I always loved you as my closest friend, but this relationship, the connection we have now is so much more.

Please tell me you can come back to me soon. Even for a few days. I find my self missing you more and more as each new day arrives. I want to see you. I want to wake up on a lazy Sunday afternoon with you again..

All my love,

Elizabeth"
Decisions by lostgrace
Abigail Elizabeth Weir turned 12 on October 15th. It was two years to the day since her Aunt had arrived back on Earth, after effectively being banished from the place that had been her home for a little more than three years.

Elizabeth tried to separate the two events in her mind, so that she could truly celebrate Abby's birthday the way she deserved to have it celebrated, but the pain of the loss of Atlantis was still raw.

Elizabeth watched Abby, showing her new camera off to the last three party guests. The passage of time was never more visible than in the changes of a child. Abby had grown tall in the past two years. She'd gone from being a little girl to an almost-teenager. The two years Elizabeth had spent with her, caring for her had been wonderfully fullfilling, but at the same time, she felt like all she wanted to do was disappear to her room, curl up in bed with John's t-shirt and cry for two lost years in Atlantis.

She stared out at the water, mesmerised by the waves, until a voice called out to her "Hey! Aunt Lizzy!!"

Elizabeth looked down to Abby and her friends on the sand and smiled.

"Pose for me!" Abby called, raising the camera in front of her face.

She took the photo and Elizabeth waved at all four girls to come in, when she heard a knock on the front door. It seemed the party was well and truly over.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When Elizabeth first arrived back on Earth, two years earlier, she'd put herself up in a hotel in Colorado Springs, refusing to budge from the city until every person in a position of power had heard her out.

She used every skill she had to fight to regain her job. She didn't sleep, she hardly ate. She lived out of that hotel for six weeks before Jack O'Neill turned up and told her to give it up. It wasn't happening. The adventure was over for her.

He'd apologised, she'd ended up in tears, and it was that moment Elizabeth decided to put Colorado far, far behind her, and seek out the coast. The one thing that reminded her of Atlantis.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth watched Abby put the last of her birthday cake into a container. There was just enough for a piece each for dessert with tomorrow night's dinner, if the now 12 year old didn't decided to sneak a midnight snack.

"So," she said with a forced smile "great day, right?"

Abby beamed at her "It was so cool, Aunt Lizzy. Thanks so much for the camera from you and John, I love it!"

"I'm glad," Elizabeth said. "I'm sorry John couldn't be here today. He never really knows when he can get leave... it's complicated."

"I know," Abby told her "it's okay.. I wish he was here, but more for you than for me."

Elizabeth couldn't believe how perceptive her niece had become.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At two in the morning, Elizabeth was still awake. At midnight she'd opened the closet in her room, and pulled out all the boxes with John's letters in them. A two year supply of letters was now spread on her bed.

She's decided to sort them.. put them in chronological order. Along the way she'd started reading first every tenth, then every third and now every second letter that she picked up.

The letters, Elizabeth decided, were a history of their relationship. Everything from "I miss hanging out with you" to "I can't live without you".

There were times when she couldn't believe that John was interested in her. He was cheeky, boyish, adventurous, everything Simon hadn't been. There had been a time when she'd thought that Simon's staid, stable, sensible nature was what she needed, even what she wanted. She couldn't contemplate that anymore.

Elizabeth reached for her pen and paper, pushing a few of John's letters out of the way so she could lie on the bed.

"Dear John" she wrote.

"I don't know how much longer I can do this.. how much longer I can be without you. It's been two years today since I left Atlantis, and I feel more lost than ever....."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It's been two years, Rodney"

"Two years? What's two years?"

"Since Elizabeth left.... two years and six weeks"

Rodney let out a sigh. "It feels like only yesterday that she was up in that office, watching over us all."

"Yeah..." John looked around to make sure that nobody was in earshot. "I need you to keep something to yourself.."

McKay eyed him curiously "Sure... what's going on?"

"I think I'm going to call it quits," John told him. "It's not fair on her, McKay. She's there on her own, with no other option. I have a choice. I can be here playing games with the Wraith, or I can be with her." he sighed "when you look at it that way, it's really not a choice at all."

"You're not serious?"

"Perfectly."

"You have leave coming up at Christmas. You'll see her then. Wait until you talk to her about it..."

"I've already decided," John insisted.

"Sheppard, you can't just give up on what we're doing here. It's just..."

"McKay, I can't do this any more. I need to see her more than a couple of times a year. " John looked Rodney straight in the eye, "This is Elizabeth, McKay. Elizabeth..."

"And there's nothing I can do to change your mind?"

"Not unless you can get her here, Rodney. I'm going to put my resignation in this afternoon."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Samantha Carter paced around her office, waiting for John Sheppard to arrive. When he did, she silently motioned for him to sit at her desk. She took a seat on the other side.

"What's this, John?" she asked, throwing a sheet of paper down on the desk in front of him.

John peered at the item and then shrugged "I think it speaks for itself, Sam."

"What the hell are you doing, John?" Sam demanded, "Because from where I sit, you're trying to throw your career away. It was only ressurected five years ago. Don't you forget that. You'd still be flying choppers in Antarctica if this project hadn't come along."

"You mean if Elizabeth hadn't decided she wanted me on her team."

"Oh for crying out loud," Carter muttered "Are we back to that?"

John didn't answer.

"Well, I'm sorry John, but I'm not accepting your resignation."

"You have to." John insisted.

"No, Lieutenant Colonel, I don't. What I have to do is have he best possible team at this facility, and you're part of that, whether you like it or not."

John's frustration was rising "With all due respect, Colonel, if you wanted the best possible team, Dr Weir would be here in some capacity." He stood, without waiting for Sam to dismiss him, and stormed out of her office.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John stormed into his quarter, furiously, throwing himself down on the bed and staring up at the ceiling. He wanted to scream. This situation was unworkable. He was doing his job to the best of his ability. Nobody could question his commitment or the standard of his work.

But he didn't want to be here. He wanted to be in a beach house in California, waking up with Elizabeth Weir each morning.

He sighed, and reached over to pick Elizabeth's latest letter from the bedside table, opening the envelope and pulling out a single sheet of pale blue paper.

"Dear John"

I don't know how much longer I can do this.. how much longer I can be without you. It's been two years today since I left Atlantis, and I feel more lost than ever.

It was Abby's birthday today, and I smiled all day for her when all I wanted to do was cry. Cry for Atlantis, cry for my friends, cry for you. I was never like this before, John.

I'm considering biting the bullet and taking up Jack's offer of a job at the SGC. It's a long way from what I want, and we won't see each other any more than we do now, but it's a step back towards the program. The only thing that holds me back is Abby, and I'm so conflicted, John.

Why is Christmas so far away? I need you with me now. I need you to help me make a decision here. To tell me if I'm doing the right thing.

I'll see you in just over two months. Until then, remember how much I love you,

Elizabeth"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John decided to check out a training session to take his mind off things. Ronon was putting one of the newer recruits through his paces. Sergeant Mitchell Katz.

Katz was moving impressively, but of course was no real match for Ronon.

After a few minutes, John turned to leave, crashing right into a female scientist.

"Oh, sorry sir!" the woman quickly moved out of his way.

"That's okay..." he looked for her name badge ".. Melanie."

He stopped, watching her enter the room to watch Ronan and Katz training.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard sat on his bed, picked up his copy of War and Peace and leaned a piece of note paper on it. He picked up his pen, chewed on the end of it for a moment and then started to write.

"Hey Matt,

I need to ask you something, and I need to get you to do me a huge favour..."
Negotiations by lostgrace
Sam Carter opened the fridge in her kitchen in Colorado Springs. The leave was much needed. She's found certain staffing issues trying lately, not the least of which was John Sheppard's behaviour.

"He's been on the verge of insubordination," she said, handing Jack O'Neill a beer.

"His heart's in the right place," Jack insisted. "He's just not so great in the execution."

"So, what? You agree with him? You want Weir back on the team?"

Jack sighed "Sam, I've been trying to get her to work for me for the best part of two years. She keeps saying no."

"Then that's your answer, Jack. She's not interested."

"It's not that simple, Carter."

Sam shook her head "What is it with this woman? She has every single one of you wrapped around her little finger. Between you, McKay, Zelenka and Sheppard I hear her name at least five times a day..."

"Sam, she's good. She's the best there is at what she does... letting her go completely... it was a mistake. I can admit that now."

"I don't like her."

"You don't like McKay, either, but you're happy to have him on the team."

Sam studied his expression, frustration building. "Look, General, we have one weekend together. That's it. If you're going to gush over Elizabeth Weir for the next two days, you can go back to DC." She stormed out of the room.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jack was getting nervous. This afternoon could be a very, very bad afternoon that would put him in the doghouse for a long time.

He and Sam walked into the cafe, and she headed to a table.

Jack grabbed her left elbow "Actually, we're over here."

He walked to the back of the cafe to a booth and Sam, following him, could see a brunette head just above the seat.

"If that's who I think it is....."

"Sam, just talk to her." Jack begged. "That's all I ask."

Carter sighed, and followed him to the booth where Dr Elizabeth Weir was waiting for them. She was amazed when Elizabeth seemed just as surprised to see her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jack shovelled a large fork full of apple pie into his mouth. "So?" he asked through the food.

Both women looked at him, not sure where to take the conversation.

He rolled his eyes, swallowed the pie and put down the fork. "Okay," he said "here's what we have. Sam is continuing as leader of Atlantis.... Elizabeth wants to come back to the program, but won't work with me in DC. Everyone following?"

Both nodded.

"So, our solution is this: Elizabeth either works at the SCG doing translations for us, or she goes back to Atlantis to head up this new department McKay's been suggesting."

"I'd rather go to Atlantis..." Elizabeth said softly.

"No," Sam shook her head firmly. "No, if this is going to happen, you're going to be based at the SCG. I don't need you undermining my authority..."

"But Colonel Carter, I would never undermine you..."

"Your very presence would undermine me, Dr Weir."

Elizabeth smiled, trying to hide her disappointment. "I guess I'm going back to California then." She turned to General O'Neill "Jack, I really need to get going. Thank you for everything."

Jack stood, "I'll walk you out."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was very late on Saturday night when Elizabeth arrived home in LA. She opened the door, threw her bag and keys onto the couch on the way through the lounge area, and joined her brother on the balcony.

"So, how did it go?" Matthew Weir asked.

"Not so great. There's this woman... the one who has the position I used to have...she hates me." Elizabeth laughed. "Can you believe that all this comes down to one woman who hates me?"

"Well, if she hates you, she obviously has the problem, not you," Matt told her.

"She thinks I'll undermine her if I get back into the program. She seems to think all the civilians will come running to me, and bypass her. It's ridiculous..." Elizabeth leaned on the rail, staring out at the ocean.

"Have you spoken to John about this at all?" Matt inquired.

"What's there to say?" Elizabeth asked. "They've offered me a job I don't want. Or rather, the Colonel's told me the only option is a job that I don't want."

Elizabeth pushed herself back from the rail and turned around "You know what? It's getting late. I'm going to head up to bed.... I have to take Abby to soccer in the morning."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth changed out of her clothes and slipped John's t-shirt on. She rarely wore it downstairs these days. It was getting shabby. Frayed on the edge of one sleeve. But it was still perfect, and it still had a slight smell of him, despite the many washes over the past two years.

Elizabeth was almost asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jack smiled at Sam over the breakfast table.

"Don't do that, Jack, I'm still pissed off about yesterday."

She sounded it, too, but Jack couldn't let it rest. "Just think about it Sam. Rationally. She's not after your job, she's not going to undermine you. Having her going through the 'gate with research teams .. it'd be phenomenal."

"Alright!" Sam snapped. "I'll think about it. But don't expect too much."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard walked as slowly as possible towards Sam Carter's office. The last thing he wanted was to deal with her right now. He was worried about the future of his relationship with Elizabeth.. about how they could possibly stay together under the current circumstances. The last thing he needed to hear was another tirade from Sam about how Elizabeth would come back to Atlantis over her dead body.

Eventually he found himself at the door. He knocked lightly "Colonel?"

"John," Sam stood and smiled. "Come in, have a seat."

He sat himself down opposite her, not quite sure what to make of her light and almost cheery mood. "What can I do for you?"

"Well, I want to make sure we have that little resignation issue behind us."

John nodded.

"Great. Okay, down to business," Sam shuffled some papers and handed a small pile to John.

"What's this?"

"Well, you're off to Earth for Christmas, right?"

John nodded again.

"Is there any chance you'll see Dr Weir?"

John had a sudden case of butterflies, afraid that Sam knew about them. "Um.. " he cleared his throat, "yeah, I mean I'll probably catch up with her at some point."

"Great, well I want you to talk to her about this proposition."

"And what exactly is this proposition?"

"To work at the SCG," Sam told him. "to be a consultant, translating Ancient texts when we need her to, among other things."

"You didn't talk to her about it when you were there?" John asked.

"Sure. General O'Neill and I discussed it with her. I just get the feeling you or McKay could be more persuasive. Since you're heading back on leave, you're it."

"Sure..."

"That's all, Colonel. Take it with you, have a look at the details, but this stays between us, okay?"

John nodded and stood to leave the room.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Elizabeth," John wrote.

"I had another one of those discussions with Carter today, where she tries to get me to tell you to take a job you don't want. I'll show you the paperwork some time while I'm there.

You know what? It's a month. One month to go until Christmas. I'll be arriving at LAX on a flight that lands around 4pm on Christmas Eve.

I can't wait to see you. We have so much lost time to make up for.

Love you more than ever,

John xx"
Twists by lostgrace
Elizabeth Weir flung herself into John Sheppard's arms the moment he stepped through the gate at the airport, kissing him as though her life depended on it. He lifted her off the ground, arms around her waist as she clutched her fingers in his hair.

Finally she pulled back, breathless, and rested her forehead against hers.

"I've missed you," she told him with a shy smile.

"Really? I never would have guessed!" John laughed and tightened his hold on her, kissing her again for what felt like forever.

Eventually Elizabeth decided things were getting a little too heated. "John," she whispered, pulling away from him slightly, "we need to get home before we're arrested for obscene acts in public."

John moaned. "Lizzy, sweetie, as much as I love her, I can't deal with Abby right now... I'd rather get you to a hotel.. the sooner the better..."

Elizabeth laughed. "Matt and Abby won't be there.. they've gone to mom's for Christmas. We have the house to ourselves for two days. Matt's Christmas present to me..."

John kissed her again "God, I love your brother," he told her. "Let's get the hell out of here"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Traffic was slow, and John was cursing his decision to arrive in LA at four o'clock on Christmas Eve. He wanted to be at the beach house now. Once the traffic finally started moving faster, he heard sirens behind them, turned, and saw a police officer motioning for them to pull the car over.

"Oh, you have to be kidding me..." Elizabeth moaned.

John closed his eyes, quietly cursing under his breath.

The police officer asked for Elizabeth's licence and did a random check to make sure the car was roadworthy.

"You seem to be in a bit of a hurry, ma'am, is there a problem?" the officer asked.

Elizabeth couldn't believe the situation she was in "We need to meet someone... I don't believe I was going over the speed limit..." she told him.

"No, of course not," he replied. "You just seem eager to get away."

Elizabeth smiled "Yes, as I said, we need to meet someone."

"Okay," the officer smiled back. "everything seems to be in order. You're free to go."

Elizabeth let out a huge sigh as she drove off "I should have told him the truth just to see the look on his face," she told John. "can you imagine it? 'Sorry officer, but I haven't seen my boyfriend in four months, and I'm in a hurry to get him home so I can have my wicked way with him.'"

John burst out laughing. "You're a bad, bad girl, Dr. Weir." he told her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth parked the car in the garage, quickly getting out of the driver's seat. John got out the passenger side, and went to the back of the car, ready to get his suitcase out of the trunk.

"Oh, no you don't!" Elizabeth said, arms around his neck, pulling him down to her level to kiss him "plenty of time to get your luggage later... get that ass of yours inside now!"

John laughed, letting Elizabeth grab his hand, lead him inside and drag him up the stairs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard woke to the sound of children, screaming and playing on the beach. He opened his eyes to see Elizabeth draped over him, her head under his chin, her left hand playing with his chest hair.

"You awake, Lizzy?" he whispered.

"Mmmmm..."

"It's Christmas morning... "

"Mmmmm..."

"So should we get up?"

"I'm not getting up until Christmas afternoon..." she mumbled, snuggling closer into him.

The phone rang loudly next to her bed.

"Nooooooo...... " she whined.

John laughed, reaching for the phone "Hello?"

"John, Merry Christmas"

"Hey Matt, Merry Christmas back at you."

Elizabeth let out a frustrated huff, rolled over and pulled a pillow over her head.

"Can I talk to Elizabeth?"

"Sure, she's right here.... " He poked Elizabeth in the side "Lizzy, it's your brother, you can't just ignore him."

"Tell him I'm sleeping..."

"'Lizabeth!"

"Oh, fine." she sat up, straightening John's t-shirt which had ended up twisted around in the night, and then grabbed the phone "Hey Matt".

"Hi..."

"It's great to hear from you and everything, but what kind of time is this to be calling someone on Christmas morning?" she asked frustratedly.

"Kiddo, it's almost lunch time."

"Really?" she grabbed her watch off the bedside table, struggling to focus her eyes on it. "Oh.. I guess I lost track of time..."

John couldn't help laughing at her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the time Elizabeth had got off the phone from her mother, brother and niece, John had made them a very late breakfast of toast and coffee.

She wandered down, still wearing only his t-shirt and sat at the table. Piling toast on her plate and grabbing some fruit from the bowl in the middle of the table.

"Hungry?" John asked with a laugh.

"I haven't eaten since breakfast yesterday. That's more than 24 hours. I think I might need icecream later.... maybe chocolate, too...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In another hour, John and Elizabeth were walking on the beach, hand in hand, eating icecream.

"I didn't ask how long you can stay this time," Elizabeth asked apprehensively. She wiped a smudge of chocolate icecream from the corner of his mouth and waited nervously for his answer.

"I head back on New Year's Day," he told her.

"So we have a week," Elizabeth added up the days. "A week is good. A week is more than we usually get..."

"A week is great." John agreed.

"Matt and Abby come home tomorrow...." Elizabeth mused.

"It'll be good to see them," John insisted.

"Yeah... " Elizabeth plonked herself down onto the sand, tugging at John's hand to drag him down next to her. "We need to talk to Abby. Set some ground rules. You're not going back to the guest room," she insisted "and I think it's time for my open door policy to come to an end."

John smiled. "I'll let you handle that one yourself, I think.."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was seven o'clock at night before John and Elizabeth realised they hadn't opened their Christmas gifts.

"So... you go first..." John said, handing Elizabeth a small box.

She grinned at him, carefully opening the gift and then burst out laughing. All those years of pay with nowhere to spend it had them both spending big now, and it seemed they had similar gift ideas.

John looked shocked "Lizzy, it's a Rolex. You're not supposed to laugh at it!"

She kept laughing and handed him his gift. "Open it."

John eyed her suspiciously, as he unwrapped his gift and opened the box. Inside was another Rolex. "Well, I guess great minds think alike!" he told her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John woke in the morning to something tickling his nose. He blew a breath out, trying to rid himself of whatever was annoying him, only to hear a soft giggle.

"Lizabeth," he mumbled, not bothering to open his eyes "cut it out!"

He could almost feel her smirking at him and opened his eyes to see her lying beside him, leaning up on her elbow.

"What?" he asked.

"Do you know how beautiful you are?" she asked him softly.

"Men aren't beautiful." he sounded offended at the thought.

"You are," Elizabeth said with a smile. "Come on, beautiful, Matt and Abby will be here in an hour. We need to make this place presentable or Matt'll never let us have the house again."

John groaned, remembering the state of the kitchen after they'd made dinner the night before. "Okay... Let's do it... and remember, you need to talk to Abby today, because my lease on the guest room is up!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby threw the front door open, rushing into the house, and crashing around like a herd of elephants.

John smiled, knowing she was scanning the area, looking for him and Elizabeth "We're on the balcony.." he called.

Abby appeared with a triumphant grin on her face. The 12 year old gave John and Elizabeth a quick hug each. "Come inside. We have presents. From us, and from grandma. She even got one for Sedge!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once the gifts had been exchanged and opened, Matthew Weir went to the kitchen to get some snacks for them to share. John motioned to Elizabeth that now might be a good time to talk to Abby, and he followed Matt.

He watched as Matt emptied some corn chips into a bowl, and reached into the fridge to grab some dips.

"So.... " John said.

"You want to know if I got it?" Matt smiled at him. "Yes, I got it. All I can say is they must pay airforce colonels more than they pay lawyers in this country."

"Is it the one I wanted?"

"The very same."

"Can I see it?"

Matt smiled at him. "It's hidden in my closet. There's a shoebox up on the top shelf... it looks like it's full of receipts, but what you're looking for is right underneath them"

"So I'm going to and..."

Matthew tried to stop himself from laughing at the situation, "Go for it."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So. Abby," Elizabeth had started, nervously. "We need to talk."

Abby looked mortified. "Did I do something wrong?" she asked. "Dad said to give you and John more space... I promise I'll do that... "

"No," Elizabeth insisted. "Nothing's wrong. Nothing. I promise." she sighed "It's just there've been a few changes... we need to set some new ground rules."

"Like what?"

Elizabeth took a deep breath. "Okay, for a start, John's going to be staying in my room when he's here."

"Is that all?" Abby rolled her eyes. "Like I didn't see that coming." she smirked at Elizabeth, "Hey, I know, I'll make you breakfast in bed each morning."

"Oh, no Abby..."

The 12 year old laughed at the look of horror on her Aunt's face. "I'm kidding Aunt Lizzy. It's a joke. I won't come walking in all the time, I'll knock before I open the door...."

John wandered through the lounge area, looking like he was in a hurry to be upstairs.

"Hey," Abby called after him as he walked up the stairs "I hear we're neighbours now..." She eyed Elizabeth, giving her an evil grin before adding "I should warn you John, the walls are paper thin and I'm a light sleeper..."

"Oh for the love of God," Elizabeth mumbled. If 11 year old Abby had been a handful, the 12 year old version of her niece was going to be a nightmare.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The rest of the day was spent on the beach. Elizabeth and Abby watched as John surfed.

"He's cute, you know," Abby confessed. "I mean not Johnny Depp cute, but for a real life person? Seriously cute."

"Nice to know you approve," Elizabeth said with a laugh.

"So when's he going to quit the airforce and come and live with us permanently?" Abby asked.

Elizabeth sighed. "Not that easy, Abs. He has a very important job. I'd like to be able to work with him again, but it seems the people in charge don't want me right now."

Abby linked her arm through Elizabeth's. "Well, that's just stupid. How could anybody not want you to work with them?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth, wearing John's t-shirt, slipped into bed, exhausted from what had turned out to be a very busy day. It was one in the morning, and after the relaxation of watching John surf, the family had gone out, almost until midnight. Dinner, a movie, lots of walking...

"How late do you think we can sleep in the morning?" Elizabeth asked, turning to face John.

"Well," John smirked at her "I've heard you've been known to sleep until midday. However I think now that I'm in here too, we should probably get up earlier.."

"Yeah," she smiled, giving him a quick kiss and resting her head on his shoulder.

"So..." John whispered, kissing the top of her head. "You know how Abby was talking about being a light sleeper and about the walls being paper thin? She was kidding, right?"

Elizabeth sighed. "Afraid not..."

John groaned "We should have moved into the guest room.."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John woke the next morning to the now familiar feeling of Elizabeth playing with his chest hair. He smiled "You're awake early."

"Mmmmmm. You'll be gone in no time, I don't want to waste a minute."

"I'd be perfectly happy to stay like this the whole time, but.." he looked over at the clock, "It's almost 10. We should get up. Abby's shown a lot of retraint not to come barging in.."

"True," Elizabeth admitted, sitting up and stretching. "I'm going to..."

She stopped as John's phone rang. He reached onto the floor where he'd left the phone and picked it up "Sheppard"

"Sheppard, it's O'Neill."

"General, what can I do for you?" John shrugged at Elizabeth's questioning look.

"I need to meet with you and Elizabeth. I believe Colonel Carter gave you some documents to look at.."

"Yeah, she did. I haven't shown them to Elizabeth yet... you know, Christmas and everything."

"Right," Jack said "well, I need to see both of you. I'll be in LA tomorrow. I'll meet you at Elizabeth's place in the afternoon."

"Okay..." Jack had hung up before John had the chance to say more.

"Well?" Elizabeth asked.

"O'Neill's coming here. Tomorrow. Carter gave me this proposal to show you..." He got up, went to his suitcase and shuffled around for the papers he was looking for, handing them to Elizabeth.

She flicked through the pages, "I've seen these already... Jack showed me when we..." she paused suddenly, speechless.

"Lizzy?"

"Oh my God!!"

John gave her a questioning look.

"Did you read all of this?" she asked him.

"No... first page, I figured it was more of the same.. the sort of thing you and Jack have been talking about for the best part of two years."

Elizabeth looked as though she didn't know whether to laugh or cry, and John wondered if she was going to do both at the same time.

"Sweetie, are you okay?"

Elizabeth nodded and took a deep breath. "It seems Colonel Carter has made an amendment to the original document." she broke into a grin. "There's a new clause... It says 'with travel to Atlantis as required'"

John stared at her, stunned.
Turns by lostgrace
Jack O'Neill knocked on the door, waiting patiently for a response. Within seconds, John Sheppard had opened the door.

"General," he said "come on in."

Jack followed John into the kitchen, watching him open the fridge "I'm just grabbing 'Lizabeth some water," John said "can I get you anything?"

"Sure, water would be fine."

"Three bottles of water it is, then."

John closed the fridge and handed a bottle to Jack.

"She's actually just sitting on the beach," John told the General "I'll get her to come in."

"No," Jack smiled at the Colonel. "sitting on the beach sounds good about now. Don't get to see the ocean in DC."

"Okay," John motioned for Jack to follow him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth smiled and waved as John and Jack walked over to where she was sitting. "Jack, how was the flight?"

"Great," he said "a one hour delay and a screaming child right behind business class... but the beach makes up for it, and the hotel's good"

John sat beside Elizabeth, handing her a bottle of water.

"So.." Elizabeth decided it was time to talk about the proposal. "There's been a change to the job description."

"You noticed? I was wondering how long it'd take."

Elizabeth glanced at John "Yes, we noticed. After your call. We'd been a little preoccupied with catching up and hanging out with my brother and niece before then."

"Which is why I called," Jack told her. "so... how do you feel about it?"

"It's better than the positions you've been offering to this point," John said "right Elizabeth?"

She nodded, still deciding how to respond to Jack's offer. "It's.... well, it's more than I expected, given Colonel Carter's reaction to me during the meeting we had in Colorado Springs."

"Carter's been doing some research of her own," Jack revealed.

"How so?" Elizabeth asked.

"Well, let's just say Dr Zelenka and Teyla have been singing your praises. Carter knows how close you are to John and Rodney. She thought that maybe that had coloured their views of how essential you are."

"And Teyla and Radek...."

"Convinced her that Sheppard and McKay were right."

"Right," Elizabeth said softly, fingers tracing patterns in the sand in front of her.

"So? Do we have a deal here?"

Elizabeth sighed. "I don't know," she looked to John. "there's Abby. And there's no guarantee that I'll be able to spend time on Atlantis... It's a lot to think about.."

John reached out to take the hand that was playing in the sand, linking his fingers with hers. "We'll talk about it, right 'Lizabeth? Give you an answer by the time I go back."

Jack nodded, surprised that they were so openly 'together' in front of him. "It's a good deal, Elizabeth. If anything's going to get you back to the city, this is it. Carter's not unreasonable. When she sees your value in the mix there, she'll want to bring you in more and more. The only other person she'll consider for this position is Jackson."

Elizabeth looked startled. "Are you considering Daniel for this job?" she asked.

"No.. Elizabeth, the job's yours if you want it. If you don't, Jackson's next in line, but to be honest he has other things to keep him occupied right now."

"While we're being honest, there are two things holding me back," Elizabeth admitted. "One is Abby. I wasn't here when her mother died. That was during our first year in Atlantis. She's almost come to see me as a mother...... leaving her now..."

"And the other thing?"

Jack watched as she locked eyes with Sheppard.

"John" she said simply.

"And?"

"I don't want to go from not seeing him here to not seeing him in Colorado Springs. Here I have my brother and my niece.... there..."

"There will be 'gate travel, Elizabeth. It's just a matter of how often."

"And that," John interrupted, "is the sticking point."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An hour later, the decision was continuing, and Elizabeth felt that they'd been talking themselves in circles. She wanted something in writing, guaranteeing regular trips to Atlantis. Jack wasn't willing to give that.

"Look," she said "I don't think we're really getting anywhere with this, Jack."

He nodded his agreement. "You'll have until Sheppard ships back to come to a decision. I guess I'll head off... the hotel awaits."

Elizabeth looked to John quickly, then back to Jack "Jack, why don't you stay for dinner? It's nothing exciting.. John and I are just going to make some pasta, but Abby and Matt are out getting cake for dessert."

Jack broke into a grin "Cake, you say?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jack sat on the balcony with Matt, talking about fishing, while John and Elizabeth went about cooking dinner.

"So, Elizabeth seems pretty happy," Jack said. "I think being here has been good for her."

"It's been good for all of us," Matt admitted. "Abby adores her. Adores John, too."

"Those two seem to... work... for want of a better word," Jack was on a fishing expedition, and Matt knew it.

"They do," he answered. "I'll admit I wasn't too thrilled when he first came to visit... you know, being an Airforce Colonel. No offence.."

"None taken," Jack smiled at Matt "We have a reputation. Mostly undeserved. Sheppard's a good guy. A little sarcastic every now and then, but hey, who isn't?"

"They're good together," Matt said. "You know how some people just.. I don't know.. balance each other out? They do that. As much as Abby and I would hate to have Lizzy leave, if it meant she was able to be with John...."

"Dad," Abby interupted, sticking her head out the door, "Aunt Lizzy said to tell you dinner's ready."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Three hours later, after a shared bottle of wine, a dinner of pasta and a dessert of mud cake, Jack had called a cab and gone to his hotel, reminding Elizabeth that she had a deadline for her decision.

"It's been a long day..." Elizabeth put the last of the dishes into the kitchen cabinet, and sat at the table opposite John.

"Yeah. We have a lot of thinking to do in the next few days."

Elizabeth tried to stifle a yawn, "I'm glad you're here to help me weigh this up, John. This decision... it's a little overwhelming...."

"You're tired," John said, taking her hand and leading her out of her seat, "You're exhausted because you've been thinking too much, all day. Let's sleep on it. See how it looks in the morning."

Elizabeth nodded, following him out of the room and up the stairs.

The moment John opened their bedroom door, a voice yelled out in the darkness "Good night, guys!"

John couldn't help laughing at the self confessed light-sleeper "Good night, Abby," he called back.

Elizabeth shut the door behind them, leaning back against it with a frustrated sigh "If I wasn't too tired to do anything more than sleep," she told John "I'd be moving us into the guest room right now."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke the next morning to a shriek from Abby and a yelp from John. She sat up immediately, struggling to adjust her eyes to the bright light in the room and staggering to the door. She opened it slowly, still half asleep, only to see Abby's bedroom door slamming and John standing shocked in the hallway, wearing nothing but a towel.

"What the hell was that about?"

"Let's just say Abby will be knocking on doors before walking in from now on.." John muttered. "And I think she's been scarred for life by the sight of my bare ass."

Elizabeth laughed. "That's it," she told John. "We're moving to the guest room and having our own bathroom."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth had set about moving the essentials to the guest room immediately, deciding it was something to do to put off thinking about the obvious. She looked around, deciding she should have been here from day one.

The room was bigger than the one she had upstairs, it had a view of the beach, and being downstairs, it meant she wouldn't wake up the household when Sedge needed to go on one of her nightly trips out.

She flopped back onto the bed, closing her eyes.

"Are you moving down here because of me? Because of what happened this morning?" a voice asked, apprehensively.

Elizabeth sat up immediately, "No, Abby. John and I have been talking about this for days... the room's bigger, which is better for two of us. We get our own bathroom, you get your own bathroom... it'll be good for all of us."

"I guess," she said, sitting down next to Elizabeth. "Is he mad at me?"

Elizabeth laughed, "Honey, he loves you. It'll take a lot more than that to make him mad. Just... when in doubt, knock."

"Believe me," Abby said dramatically, "I will. The last thing I need to see is his butt again!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth, Matt and John sat on the balcony, while Abby walked on the beach with a friend. They'd spent the best part of an hour discussing Elizabeth's job options, with no real conclusion.

"I really need your input, Matt," Elizabeth told him, "I don't want to leave you and Abby in a tough spot here.. I know you can't always be around all the time when she gets home from school..."

"Lizzy, don't worry about it. We managed before you moved in, we'll manage when you move out. Casey lives a block away," he looked out at the two girls, walking on the sand "her mom used to have Abby after school.. I'm sure she'll do it again."

"God, I'll miss you guys if I go..."

"The money's going to be good, right?"

"Matthew!" Elizabeth said, shocked "This isn't about the money."

"No, but if you're earning decent money you can come home every few weekends," Matt explained. "Spend time with Abby... "

"That's a good idea," John interjected. "that could work." He turned to Elizabeth. "That would be like the best of both worlds. And I'm sure they're not going to need you 24/7. It's a consulting job. You can consult from here if you need to. You know, if Abby needs you"

Elizabeth nodded. "Maybe that's something to run by Jack.... I'm going to grab a bottle of water. Anyone else want one?"

"Sure," John answered for both of them.

Once Elizabeth had returned inside, John whispered urgently to Matthew "So," he said, looking to make sure Elizabeth wasn't within earshot "New Year's Eve..."

"The place is yours," Matt promised. "At least until about 2am. Abby's having a sleepover at Casey's house, and I'm going to a party in Beverly Hills... I figure I won't be home until 2 at the earliest."

"Perfect."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John flicked off the TV, looking down at Elizabeth, who leaned against him, her feet up on the coffee table.

"So have we come to a decision about the job yet?" he asked.

He felt Elizabeth nodding, against his shoulder.

"Well?"

"Well.... I think that if I can talk to Jack to figure out some sort of timetable that'll let me get back here as often as possible... "

"That's a great idea," John agreed.

"The only thing that worries me is how much harder it's going to be working at the SCG, knowing you're so close but I can't get to you..."

"Lizzy, we're going to work it out," John insisted. "We're smart... I mean I'm smart.. you're brilliant.. we're going to make this work."

Elizabeth smiled at him, "When you put it like that, I almost believe you."

"Believe it, 'Lizabeth. Until we get to where we want to be, we're just going to have to make the most of the time we have together."

"You're right." Elizabeth stood, taking his hand and leading him off the couch. She kissed him, slowly, softly. "we shouldn't waste a minute... in fact, I think it's time we Christened the guest room..."

"Well," John said, shocking her by scooping her up in his arms and moving towards their new room, "you know what they say... there's no time like the present."
Questions by lostgrace
John was woken the next morning by the feeling of Elizabeth Weir trailing soft kisses across his bare left shoulder. He decided to stay still, eyes closed and see exactly where she intended to go with this, but lost his resolve when she moved up his neck, to kiss a particular spot right below his ear.

"Whatcha doing?" He asked.

Even with his eyes closed, he knew she was smirking "Waking up my beautiful boyfriend so we can get back to making the most of the time we have left..." she mumbled into his neck.

John rolled over to face her, brushing her long hair over her shoulder and pressing a kiss to her forehead. "Have I told you lately that I love you?"

Elizabeth looked thoughtful, "Hmmm. Not in the last five hours, I don't think..."

"Then consider yourself told," he gazed at her suddenly thoughtful himself "it's going to kill me going back." he admitted.

Elizabeth closed her eyes for a moment, chewing on her lower lip. "I..." she sighed.

"What is it, Lizzy?"

She locked onto his gaze, eyes suddenly watery. "I.. can't promise you I won't be a blubbering idiot at the airport.." she told him.

"Well then we'll be blubbering idiots together," John told her, brushing a tear from her cheek. "We have a couple of days until then. We should get back to making the most of it..."

"Anything particular in mind?" Elizabeth teased.

"I thought maybe I'd start by kissing you until we can't breathe..." he ran a hand up her t-shirt, and up and down her back.

"And then?"

John smirked at her "And then, going by the time, I'd say we have an hour to see where we go from there, before Abby comes crashing down the stairs."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John draped his arm around Elizbeth's shoulders as they walked through the shopping mall, a few steps behind Abby.

The 12 year old had overcome her embarrassment after the early morning bathroom scene with John, and had gladly agreed to go on a shopping spree with the couple, to buy a birthday gift for Casey.

"Have I told you how much I hate shopping?" John asked Elizabeth.

She smiled, playing with his fingers, "Only about a dozen times today... Give it half an hour.. if she hasn't found something by then, I'll give her some cash for Casey."

"Good... "

"So, we know what Matt and Abby are doing on New Year's Eve... what do you want to to?"

"I have plans," John insisted. "We have the house to ourselves. I want to make up for last year."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Year's Eve came around too fast for John. He had to fly out to Colorado the next day. A 3pm flight from LAX, which would lead to an unknown amount of time without Elizabeth.

He tried to put the thought out of his mind, busying himself by setting the table with the two pale green candles he'd got for Elizabeth at the Athosian market.

She was out. She'd gone to walk Abby to Casey's house, carrying her sleeping bag while Abby held onto her backpack and Casey's birthday gift.

It was 7 o'clock. John figured he had about half an hour to set things up before Elizabeth returned, and he was rushing to have everything just right. He looked around the balcony. The weather was perfect, and it seemed the right place for them to have dinner.

John had prepared a simple dinner. Just pasta again. Dessert was chocolate mousse. There was champagne to toast with at midnight...

The night had him nervous. It was exactly a year since the night she'd stormed off on him when he tried to kiss her on the beach. A year since she'd effectively broken his heart.

Tonight, he'd decided, would go according to plan. It would rewrite his memory of New Year's Eve.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth finished off the last of her chocolate mousse, smiling at John. "Tonight has been perfect," she told him. "I'm so glad we stayed in... I'd hate to be at a party, lost in a sea of people.. Just you and me...It's perfect."

John reached out to take her hand, linking their fingers "It's not midnight yet, I was thinking we could go down to the beach... take a walk to the pier.."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John and Elizabeth waded in the water by the pier, arms linked and deep in conversation.

"I see a future for us, Lizzy," John told her.

Elizabeth squeezed his arm "I can't see a future with anyone else," she said, "Nobody else would measure up... but I'm so scared we'll never be able to live together permanenty.."

"It'll happen, 'Lizabeth. We'll make it happen."

She smiled "I love you for your optimism. You give me faith.."

"'Lizabeth, you'll come to Atlantis, you'll impress the hell out of Carter, and she'll be begging you to stay."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As midnight closed in, John and Elizabeth were sitting in the sand, the sound of celebrations all around them.

"Five minutes to go," John said, glancing at his watch.

"Mmmmm."

"So, Lizzy," John turned to face her. "It's been a year since.."

"I know John. I'm so sorry about what happened last year.. "

"Forget it," John brushed her hair behind her ears and kissed her forehead. "Forget that ever happened... you know how much I love you, right?"

Elizabeth nodded "And you know I love you too, more than anything."

"And I want us to be together.. I want everyone else to know we're together."

"Me too."

John took a deep breath. "So," he reached into his pocket and pulled out of a small pale blue box causing Elizabeth gasp in surprise "...will you marry me?"

"Oh my God..." she whispered, taking in the sight of the two carat diamond Tiffany setting in front of her.

"Lizzy?"

She looked up at him, still stunned, not having seen this coming. "Yes..." she whispered.

"Yes?"

"Yes."

John broke into a grin, slipping the rock on Elizabeth's finger, and leaning in to kiss her as midnight struck.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was awake at eleven the next morning. Elizabeth slept peacefully next to him, clutching his left arm and wearing nothing but his t-shirt and her engagement ring.

It was almost time to go, but he couldn't bring himself to wake her until he heard Matt and Abby's voices out on the balcony.

"'Lizabeth," he whispered softly.

"Mmmm?"

"We have to go to the airport in a couple of hours..."

"I'm going to kidnap you... " she mumbled, slowly opening her eyes and raising her left hand to look at the diamond on her ring finger.

"Making sure you didn't lose it?" John laughed quietly at the sight.

"Making sure I didn't dream it...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby let out a shriek of delight when she saw the ring on Elizabeth's finger, glinting in the sun.

"Is that what I think it is?" she demanded.

Elizabeth nodded, smiling at her niece, a move that only led to Abby shrieking again.

"Oh My God! Can I be bridesmaid? Can I?"

Matt approached John as Abby interrogated Elizabeth "Well," he said "it seems like last night went well..."

"Thankfully..."

"You can't honestly have thought she'd say no," Matt told him with a laugh "She would have said yes if you'd handed her a plastic ring from a Christmas cracker, let alone a 30 thousand dollar diamond.."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John and Elizabeth stood in the queue at LAX, waiting for him to go through security.

There were only two people in front of them now, and John turned, taking both of Elizabeth's hands in his. "We're going to work this out," he promised in a voice thick with emotion.

Elizabeth nodded, locking eyes with him.

"A year from now, we'll be wondering why we doubted it," he said.

She nodded again, stepping closer to him and resting her head on his shoulder. They wrapped their arms around each other, holding on tight, John running his fingers through Elizabeth's long hair.

"I'm going to start blubbering..." Elizabeth whispered, tearfully.

"Join the club," John confessed.

The two shared one last kiss, before Elizabeth thrust a note in John's hand as he stepped through security.

She stood, watching, twisting her engagement ring on her finger, until he was out of sight.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John sighed, sitting himself in the aisle seat.

As the flight took off, he opened Elizabeth's note.

"John,

I can't wait to call you my husband,

My love,

Elizabeth."
Challenges by lostgrace
Elizabeth Weir tried desperately to explain to her 12 year old niece just why she had to move to Colorado.

"John and I are engaged now. He's based there. It's a way to be closer to him."

Abby gave her a disbelieving look "You told me he was based in the Middle East" she snapped.

Well, yes," Elizabeth was getting flustered "but when he's home, he's based in Colorado."

"When he's home, he's here!" Abby countered.

Elizabeth sighed. "Look, Abby, I can't go into details. I know you want answers, and I know you're angry with me, but I'll be here as much as I can. I can be here almost every weekend."

Abby scowled at her. "Whatever." she said, storming off the balcony.

Matthew Weir was almost knocked over by his daughter as she ran off the balcony and up the stairs. "So... I take it that didn't go so well"

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow. "That obvious?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard was cornered by Rodney McKay almost as soon as he arrived back on Atlantis.

"Did you bring me anything?" the scientist demanded.

"What am I, your uncle?"

"Come on, Sheppard, you know you got me something, hand it over!"

John reached into his pack and pulled out a plastic shopping bag, which was instantly snatched by Rodney.

"Is that all??"

John glared at him "You wanted chocolate, I got you chocolate. Quit complaining."

"Not complaining, just saying you could have done better."

John sighed. "So are you going to stand there whining or are you going to ask me how my trip was."

"Fine," Rodney said through a mouthful of Mars Bar. "How was the trip."

"Great, thanks for asking Rodney" John said sarcastically. "I asked her."

"Asked who?"

John rolled his eyes. "Elizabeth."

"Asked her what?"

"Jesus..." John leaned closer whispering "to marry me, you idiot."

"What did she say?"

"McKay, do you ever listen? I just said my trip was great, what do you think she said?" John asked frustratedly.

"She said yes? She's lost her mind..."

"Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence, McKay!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth Weir stepped into Jack O'Neill's Washington office.

"Elizabeth, great to see you," he said, looking up from some paperwork. "How long before you're ready to make the move to Colorado Springs?"

"Actually," Elizabeth started, "I'd like to talk to you about that... about the setup of the job."

Jack let out a frustrated sigh, "Elizabeth, we're talked about this. You've signed the papers. What's the problem?"

"Well, I don't see the point in actually relocating to Colorado Springs permanently if I'm only going to get intermittent work." she told him.

"We need you to be there."

"Jack, this is the age of email, internet, fax for crying out loud..."

"You want them to send you classified information over your email?" Jack shook his head "come on, Elizabeth. You know better than that."

She nodded.

"You're on a four day week. You'll spend most of that time teaching other staff to translate Ancient. That gives you three days a week to spend with your family, if that's your concern."

"There's something else," Elizabeth said hesitantly.

Jack waited for her to continue. "Elizabeth, I'm not a mind reader."

She smiled, nervously, and held her left hand up for him to see.

"Wow. I was not expecting that." Jack eyed the huge rock on Elizabeth's hand.

She took a deep breath "So... I know we've spoken about travel to Atlantis, and how it's not guaranteed... I'd just like to let you know that... I'd really appreciate the opportunity, should it arise."

"Point taken," Jack replied. "And congratulations, Elizabeth. Sheppard's a lucky bastard."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was exhausted. She'd spend the entire weekend moving things into her new home in Colorado Springs, and now she was alone, on Sunday night, with a trip to the SCG just 10 hours away.

She wished she'd been able to bring Sedge with her, but given the uncertain nature of her job, she'd thought better of it. She loved her dog too much to take her away from the stable environment provided by Matt and Abby.

Elizabeth sat on the floor in the centre of her new living room, pizza box on the coffee table. She hadn't felt so alone since the day she'd been thrown out of the Atlantis expedition.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sheppard and Ronon were geared up for self defence training with some of the scientists who were due to go off world. Three men, two women, among them Melanie Katz.

"Dr Katz," John seemed to be interupting a conversation between the doctor and one of the newer recruits, a woman named Jennie Matthews.

"Colonel?"

"Major Katz give you any idea of basic self defence?"

"A bit," she admitted.

"Okay, how about you go first?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"That man is seriously hot," Jennie Matthews whispered to Melanie Katz as John Sheppard walked past.

"The Colonel?"

"Yes, the Colonel. I'd like to get me a piece of that..."

Melanie laughed. "Good luck. From what I've heard, he has quite the reputation, but he's only interested in women off world."

"We'll see about that," Jennie said with a smirk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth felt awkward. She was wearing a suit for the first time in.. she didn't know how long. Her hair looked a little too long as well, not quite right with such a corporate look. She'd tied it up in a loose bun, and promised herself to get a trim as soon as she had time.

Right now, she was in her new office. The place she'd be calling home four days a week for the forseeable future.

A knock at the door brought her out of her thoughts.

"Come in," she called.

The door opened and two men aged in their mid 20s entered. Doctors Milton and Chang. Her first two students. The members of her new team.

"Gentlemen," she smiled at them "let's get to work.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard thought it was quite possible he might die of boredom. He'd been furious when Carter had insisted his team go on the scientific babysitting mission.

He and Ronon kept watch, while Teyla and McKay worked with Matthews and Davies on this new piece of technology they'd found.

Who knew what it was. Who cared? He just wanted to be doing anything but watching scientists right now.

These two new ones were worse than McKay and Zelenka put together. Matthew especially was iritating him. She kept bumping into him, stumbling in front of him... her clumsiness meant that he was not going to be allowing her on any missions in the near future. In fact, she was looking distinctly like she needed a remedial course in basic human movement. He'd have to settle for giving her some extra self defence training.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So how's the new job?" Abby asked Elizabeth.

"Not bad. Kind of boring, but you know... I'm sure it'll get better."

"So when are you coming home to see us?"

Elizabeth laughed into the phone "Abby, I only left three days ago!"

"Yeah, but I want to go wedding dress shopping with you!" Abby insisted.

"We don't even know when the wedding's going to be, Abs, we have plenty of time."

"I guess... have you seen John?"

"No, I don't know when I will."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You're getting better," John told Jennie Matthews. "You'll need a few more sessions, though, just to get your coordination happening."

"Thanks so much for giving up your time Colonel," Jennie threw a flirty smile at him.

"It's John," he said.

"Okay, John.." she giggled a bit, "Has anyone ever told you you have a great ass?"

John smirked "Oh, sure, every day of the week! I'll catch you for a session same time tomorrow."

He walked out, oblivious to the fact that Jennie was still watching his every move.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Don't look now, but Dr Matthews hasn't taken her eyes off you for past hour," McKay whispered to John as he put a fry into his mouth.

"What?" he turned to look in the direction Rodney was facing.

"I said don't look. God, are you stupid? I think she has a crush... don't encourage her. I don't want to have to pick up the pieces after."

John gave him a disgusted look "Jesus McKay, I'm engaged to Elizabeth. What do you take me for?"

"Just remember that," Rodney told him, glancing again at the blonde scientist who was still staring at John while chasing food around her plate. "Because if you screw around on her, I'll set Ronon on you."

"I'm supposed to be training her tomorrow..." John was starting to worry.

"I'd be sending Teyla." Rodney advised.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Teyla!"

She stopped and turned "John, what can I do for you?"

"I have a training session in 20 minutes. I also have a meeting scheduled with Carter. Think you can take it for me?"

"Of course, John. Who will be meeting?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard stepped in to Samantha Carter's office unannounced, waiting for her to look up before he spoke.

"John. Take a seat."

"I wanted to thank you," he said "for the change to Elizabeth's contract."

"Nothing to thank me for. It makes sense," Sam insisted. "I spoke with Teyla and Dr Zelenka. They pointed out some areas in which Dr Weir could be very useful. When we need her, she'll be called in. When we don't, she'll be kept busy at the SGC."

"Then I guess I have Teyla and Zelenka to thank..."

"Well, I did think that you and McKay were too close to her. You spent Christmas with her family after all."

"Speaking of close...." John took a deep breath. "Elizabeth and I are engaged. I figured since there's every chance she'll be spending time here, it's something you should know."

Sam stared at him in shock. "Congratulations. Wow. I really, really didn't expect this."

"I didn't expect you would."

"Okay, well we're going to have to make some new ground rules when it comes to security for her, because I can't let you go off-world with her."

"But.."

"No. No buts, Colonel. I can't have you compromising a mission because you're concentrating on protecting one person. You can give her training, you can go over mission details with her, but when she goes out, she'll be going out with Major Lorne's team."

John nodded. "Lorne's a good choice," he admitted, disappointedly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I hear John's a bit of a lady's man," Jennie threw the comment at Teyla, hoping for a positive response.

Teyla stopped in her tracks. "I think you have the wrong information..."

"I've heard a lot of stories about him... "

"The stories are exaggerated," Teyla insisted. "He has someone on Earth."

"But she's on Earth. That can't be working too well for him..."

Teyla shot her a glare, "I believe it works very well. If I was you, I would not speak to anyone else about John like this."

"So you and him... you never..."

"Of course not. He is with Elizabeth."

"Except that he's not," Jennie said with a smirk, walking off and leaving Teyla standing in the gym.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth's first week had been exhausting. Four days seemed like 10. She'd written short notes to John each day but used the time on her Friday flight to see Abby and Matt to write a decent length letter.

"Dear John,

My first week in Colorado Springs is over. I can't tell you how unsettling it is to be back in that environment in such a different role. There are some there who remember my short time in charge of the SGC, and they approach me as though I was in a more senior position than I am.

I'm flying back to Matt and Abby now, and will spend three days with them. Abby's eager to take me shopping for a wedding dress (and of course a bridesmaid's dress for her), but I'm not sure if I want a big wedding. I'd rather just us, Matt, Abby, my mom and Rodney. How do you feel about that?

I miss you. I'm alone in this house in Colorado for most of the week, thinking about how you're just through the 'gate, so close and yet so far..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Teyla found John in his quarters, not long after the training session.

She took a deep breath, deciding it was better just to spit out her concerns. "I think you should avoid being alone with Dr Matthews." she told him.

John looked confused "Jennie? What did she do?"

"She appears to be... infatuated with you. I told her you had someone on Earth. She seemed to see that as a challenge."

John nodded. "I'd like you to take over her training session... McKay suggested that already.."

"It is a good plan," Teyla agreed. She looked at the notepad on his bed, "Make sure you give my best wishes to Elizabeth" she said with a smile, before leaving the room.

John sat slowly back on the bed, once again picking up his notepad and pen.

"Dear Elizabeth," he wrote.

"It's only been a week since I left, but it feels like a year. I want to be back in the guest room, or on the beach, or anywhere that you might be.

Teyla says to say hi. She's saved my sanity by promising to take over the training of a particularly trying scientist. I won't bore you with the details......"
Disappointments by lostgrace
Elizabeth Weir was frustrated. Two months into her job at the SGC, her wish to go to Atlantis was granted. Sadly, it just happened to coincide with a week-long mission for John, and it was highly unlikely she'd see him at all.

She sat in the lab, going over some translations with Dr Zelenka. He'd been excited to see her, engulfing her in a hug the moment she arrived and dragging her off to his lab to get to work.

Sitting in the lab, in a standard Atlantis uniform, with her hair now cut to a manageable shoulder length, Elizabeth almost felt that she'd never been away. Some of the staff had changed. People had died, left the program, joined the program..

In a way it was familiar. In another way, it was like coming home to find another family living in your house.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Dr Weir."

Elizabeth turned, coming face to face with Samantha Carter for the first time in months.

"Colonel Carter, it's good to see you."

Sam smiled at her "It's good to have you here. How are you and Dr Zelenka going with the device?"

"Great," Elizabeth smiled, looking to Zelenka "we're making some good progress, aren't we Radek?"

Zelenka nodded, called out something in Czech to another scientist who answered in the same language and then wandered off.

"So you've met the whole team here then?" Sam asked.

"There are a lot of new faces," Elizabeth admitted.

Sam nodded, "We should talk about getting you somewhere to stay for the next few days."

"Oh, I'll be fine in John's room," Elizabeth insisted.

"Of course," Sam said "I don't know why I didn't think of that... so show me this ring."

Elizabeth held her left hand out.

Sam Carter looked stunned. "Wow. That's a serious diamond."

"I know. He has this theory that since he can't spend his money here, he should do some serious spending when he's on Earth..."

"Lucky you," Sam still couldn't take her eyes off the engagement ring "that thing is incredible."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth entered John's room at the end of a long day. It was neater than she'd expected, given the fact he hadn't known she'd be arriving. His guitar was leaned against one wall, the bed made, but a little messy from where he'd obviously been sitting on it before he left on his mission.

She changed into John's t-shirt, and slipped into his bed. It was soft, warm, and smelled of him. Elizabeth found herself falling asleep more easily than she had since the day he'd left Earth.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth had the worst headache she'd had in a long time. She sat in Dr Zelenka's lab, head in her hands, eyes closed.

She'd felt unwell for a couple of days. Aches and pains, a cough that wouldn't go away. If she didn't know better, she'd think she had the flu.

All in all, she felt extremely rundown.

"Elizabeth," Radek whispered, "are you alright?"

"I will be..." she insisted. "Migraine..."

"We should take a break," he insisted. "Dr Matthews," he turned to Jennie, who'd just joined their work that morning "could you get Elizabeth some tea?"

"Oh, no, don't go out of your way," Elizabeth insisted, "I'll be fine. I just need to rest my eyes for a moment."

"Elizabeth, if you end up in the infirmary, Colonel Sheppard will never forgive me. We'll take a break. An hour. We can always work a little later tonight."

Elizabeth smiled. "Thank you, Radek."

"Think nothing of it," he whispered. "Go and lie down for an hour. I'll call you when it's time to come back."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So she was the leader before Colonel Carter," Jennie queried.

"She was. For the first three years of our mission. A very popular leader she was, too." Zelenka informed her with a smile.

"What's the story now?"

"She's based at the SGC," Zelenka explained. "she's our foremost expert in Ancient. She's to be called in when we need some help."

"And why would Colonel Sheppard never forgive you if she ended up in the infirmary?" Jennie asked, thinking she knew the answer before it was given.

"She's his fiance." Zelenka told her "He was fiercely protective of her before they were together... I can only imagine what he'd be like now."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth's head was pounding. She'd taken a shower, and then crawled into John's bed, pulling the covers almost over her head.

When she woke, it was four hours later, and she felt no better.

Zelenka had spoken with Colonel Carter, expressing his concern, and they'd decided not to wake her.

She sat up slowly, feeling feverish, and mortified that they'd let her sleep for so long. Elizabeth quickly dressed in her uniform and made her way slowly to Zelenka's lab.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Zelenka took one look at Elizabeth, and ordered Dr Matthews to call Dr Keller.

"Tell her to get down here immediately" he said, sitting Elizabeth down at the desk.

"I'm fine, Radek," Elizabeth insisted. "Just a little dizzy from my headache..." she coughed a bit "Why didn't you call me after an hour?"

Zelenka rested his hand against her forehead "I felt you needed the rest, and it seems I was right. You're not well."

"I'm fine," Elizabeth insisted.

Zelenka gave her a disbelieving look "We'll let Dr Keller decide that."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Keller had immediately insisted Elizabeth go to the infirmary for supervised rest. Right now she was lying in a bed, somewhere between asleep and awake.

"So what's the verdict?" Sam Carter asked.

"Believe it or not," Keller answered, "what we have here is a simple case of measles. You can see the spots starting to appear behind her ears and on her neck."

"Measles?" Sam was stunned. "How many women in their 30s get measles?"

"The ones who didn't get measles as a kid are most certainly prone to it. She needs bedrest, at least for a couple of days. We have to keep her hydrated, maybe some calamine lotion..It's pretty simple stuff, but I'd like to have her here for a while."

Sam smiled "Okay, you know best. If she asks for any work to do, tell her over my dead body."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jennie Matthews entered the infirmary with a cup of Athosian tea, "Dr Keller," she said "I thought Dr Weir might like some tea. If she's up to it."

The doctor nodded. "It can't hurt. May actually make her feel a little better. She's over there," she motioned towards a curtain, drawn around a bed.

Dr Matthews smiled, and walked over to Elizabeth's bed. "Dr Weir?"

"Hmmmm."

Dr Matthews made her way past the curtain. Elizabeth was clearly still feverish. "I bought you some tea. I thought it'd make you feel better."

"Thank you," Elizabeth answered softly.

"So that's some engagement ring," Jennie said, "he must be an amazing guy."

"Mmmm. He is."

"Do I know him?"

"Colonel Sheppard," Elizabeth whispered, before breaking into another bout of coughing.

"John?" Jennie laughed softy, causing Elizabeth to turn to her. "You're engaged to John? We should compare notes some time.." she said, as got up to leave.

Elizabeth stared after her, stunned and confused.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard's team arrived home two days earlier than scheduled, with a great negotiation behind it. "Hey guys, we're home." he called out as they stepped through the 'gate.

"Welcome back," Colonel Carter called. "I take it things went well."

"Things went brilliantly," John said with a grin, "Teyla, tell the Colonel how brilliant you were in the negotiations."

Teyla smiled "We were quite successful, Colonel Carter."

"That's great," Carter told her, "So why don't we meet in an hour? John, can I see you for a second?"

John watched as his team members went their separate ways, then turned to Carter, "Sam, what can I do for you?"

"It's actually what I can do for you. Dr Weir has been here for the past few days."

John broke into a grin "Is she still here?"

"Yes," Sam took a deep breath, "She's in the infirmary."

Before she could explain further, John had taken off at a run towards the infirmary.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Don't look at me." Elizabeth wailed plaintively.

"'Lizabeth," John said softly, trying to lower the sheet she had covering her face.

"I'm hideous, John, don't look at me..."

John laughed "Sweetie, it's just some spots, let me see."

She slowly allowed him to lower the sheet, looking at him miserably.

"You're gorgeous," he told her, "A little redder and spottier than usual, but still gorgeous."

She thumped him lightly on the arm, and he laughed at her.

"It's not funny," she insisted. "I feel like crap, I look like crap, this is not how I imagined seeing you again."

"I'll take seeing you anyway you come. Spots or no spots." he said, trying to find a spot free patch of skin and kissing her forehead.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jennie Matthews watched as John Sheppard gave Elizabeth Weir a soft kiss, brushed a hand through her hair, pulled the covers up around her shoulders and left her bedside.

She was sleeping, Jennie could tell. John had apparently been there for an hour when Jennie arrived again with a cup of Athosian tea.

She quickly ducked out of the way when John walked into Keller's office, told her he had a meeting with Carter, and that he'd be back as soon as possible.

Jennie smiled to herself, entering Keller's office once John was well out of sight. "I have some tea for Dr Weir," she said.

The doctor glanced over at the sleeping Elizabeth Weir, "Maybe later," she suggested, "I'd rather let her rest while she can."

Jennie nodded, leaving the infirmary to plan her next move.
Trials by lostgrace
"So how is she, Doc?" John asked. He'd checked on Elizabeth as soon as he'd got out of his meeting, finding her dozing peacefully.

"She's great," Keller told him. "She's not contagious. She could have got out of here days ago if it wasn't for the fact that Colonel Carter doesn't trust her to look after herself."

"You mean I can get her out of here?"

Keller smiled, "Yes, you can get her out of here, provided you promise you won't let her work.. she needs a complete break for another day or so."

"I can do that.."

"Make sure she drinks plenty of water, eats regular meals, I'll give you some calamine lotion, but the spots aren't looking too bad right now."

"Perfect," John told her. "So, can we go now?"

"As soon as she wakes up, yes, you can go."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke forty minutes later to the sight of John at her bedside, sitting on a chair, his head resting on the bed. She smiled, running a hand through his unruly hair.

He sat up, "Hey," he whispered.

"Hey yourself," she smiled at him.

"Doc Keller says I can take you home," John told her.

"Sounds good," Elizabeth yawned. "I can't believe I'm still tired. I seem to have done nothing but sleep for the past four days."

"Lizzy, you've been working too hard, you've been sick, you've had a stressful few months, deciding what to do about this job... No wonder you're tired."

"Mmmm."

"As soon as you're ready, we can get out of here."

"I can't wait to put your t-shirt on. It's hard to sleep in these scratchy things" she indicated the hospital issue pyjamas Keller's staff had put her in.

John laughed, "Well, let's get you back to my room, into my t-shirt and off to sleep again."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"How's the patient?" Rodney asked John as he stood beside him, waiting to grab something to eat.

"She's good. She's out of the infirmary, back in my room.."

"Is that wise? What if someone catches measles?"

John rolled his eyes, "She's not contagious anymore, Rodney."

"Oh.. okay. But she's feeling better?"

John laughed, "Yeah, apart from the fact that she's upset about me seeing her with spots!"

"Yeah, well it's not a great look" Rodney mumbled.

"McKay, if you say that to her, so help me.."

"I'm not that stupid Colonel. I do know a thing or two about women."

"Yeah, right."

"You underestimate me. In fact I can tell you right now that Dr Matthews is staring at you again." Rodney told him with a smirk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John returned to his quarters with two sandwiches, some water and some juice. He'd figured the lighter the better for Elizabeth, and had decided he'd eat whatever she was eating, to keep her company.

She woke as soon as he entered the room, yawning and sitting up.

"I thought I'd get us a snack," John told her, sitting down on the bed and handing her a plate. "It's just a sandwich. Should go down nice and easy with that sore throat of yours."

"You think of everything," Elizabeth said with a smile, biting into the sandwich.

After they'd eaten, John decided they should both have an early night. It was half past eight. He didn't think he'd gone to bed that early since he was a child. But right now Elizabeth needed to rest, and he wanted to be as close to her as possible, so sleeping early seemed like a good option.

John stripped down to his boxers and t-shirt and slipped into the small bed beside Elizabeth.

"Come here," he said, motioning for her to rest her head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her.

"You don't mind that I'm covered in red spots?" she asked.

"Do I look like I mind?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the time Elizabeth woke up the next morning, John had been awake for two hours. He wasn't used to early nights, and woke naturally at six in the morning.

Elizabeth stretched, still half asleep, surprised to feel another body in bed with her. It took a moment for the events of the previous day to sink in, and when they did, she locked eyes with John before snuggling closer into his side.

"Do you have to get up?"

"I'm afraid so... work to do... you know. I have to see Lorne about a mission."

He felt Elizabeth nod against his chest.

"I'll grab us some breakfast before I go, and I'll come back and have lunch with you, okay?"

"I'll be waiting.."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"They have Dr Matthews down to go on this mission with you?" John asked Lorne.

"Yes, and Dr Katz."

John shook his head. "I'd be asking Carter to rethink if I was you."

"What's the problem?" Lorne asked him.

"Katz is fine, you won't have any trouble with her at all. Matthews... she's uncoordinated, she needs more basic self defence training... it's not a good move to have her with you."

"She hasn't had training?" Lorne queried.

"Oh, she's had training, but she needs more. I have Teyla working with her three times a week right now."

Lorne nodded "Okay, I'll go talk to Carter about it. Maybe get McKay to join us instead. At least we know he can shoot straight... most of the time."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"John, what happened to our training sessions?"

John was standing in the queue, waiting to get lunch for himself and Elizbeth when Jennie Matthews approached him, with a frustrated look on her face.

"Things have been a bit crazy," John insisted. "sorry about that, I thought it was best that Teyla handle your training for now."

Jennie pouted at him. "She's not nearly as much fun to look at as you are."

John rolled his eyes. "I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd disagree with you" he mumbled.

"So, Doctor Weir's your girlfriend, hey?"

"Fiance" John told her pointedly.

"It's funny. I never thought someone like that would be your type."

John raised an eyebrow, almost daring her to continue.

"I mean, you know, I thought you'd go for a hot chick with curves in all the right places like Teyla... don't get me wrong, Doctor Weir's pretty, but .. she doesn't seem your type."

"Believe me, she's very much my type," John glared at the scientist.

"And how the hell do you manage.. you know.. since she's never here and you're never there.. that must be.... physically frustrating to say the least" she let out a laugh, "not that you'd be short of offers to help you out around here.."

"You don't know me," John said coldly "you don't know Elizabeth. You've only been here a month. You want to strike up a conversation like this with me again, I'll make damned sure you don't make it to two months."

He grabbed his sandwiches, and stalked off, leaving a smirking Jennie behind.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth could tell something was bothering John the moment he returned with their lunch.

"What happened?" she asked softly.

"Nothing... annoying scientist. She really gets under my skin," he answered pacing around the room.

"She probably has a crush on you... not that I could blame her," Elizabeth laughed at the thought.

"It's not funny," John sounded truly annoyed. "She just.. forget it, she's not worth thinking about. How about we eat, I'll get you some DVDs to watch..."

"Sounds great," Elizabeth grabbed his hand as he paced past the bed. "but first I want a hug.."

John smiled, sinking down onto the bed next to her, putting his arms around her and holding on tight.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke before John the next morning. He was roused from sleep by the feeling of her hand up his t-shirt and her lips on his neck.

"'Lizabeth, sweetie, what are you doing?" he asked softly.

"What do you think?"

"I think you must be feeling better."

"Hmmmm."

"Which is great... except that I have to get to a meeting with Carter in like " he looked at his watch, "shit! Five minutes."

Elizabeth groaned "Are you serious?"

John was already out of bed, dragging on his uniform and fishing around for his boots, "Deadly serious..." he said apologetically, kissing her "why don't we hold this thought... continue where we left off later?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since John was busy all day, and she was still banned from the lab, Elizabeth decided to rediscover the city.

She wandered past her old quarters, wondering if Colonel Carter had moved in there. Eventually she found her self on a balcony, only to find someone else was already there.

The slim, blonde woman turned around as Elizabeth stepped onto the balcony.

"Doctor Weir, how are you feeling?"

"Doctor Matthews, right? From Radek's lab?"

She smiled, "That's me," she turned back to the water. "Great view, isn't it?"

"It certainly is," Elizabeth told her "I've missed it."

"How long were you away?" Jennie asked her.

"Two very long years.. and a few months." Elizabeth whispered. "being away from the city was bad enough, but being away from John..."

"I completely understand. The man is incredibly hot." Jennie said with a laugh.

"He is, isn't he?" Elizabeth grinned at her. "And he's incredibly sweet, but don't tell him I told you that!"

"Your secret's safe with me... it's beautiful here, but it's such a lonely place sometimes. It's hard being new here.. everyone seems so established."

"I know what you mean," Elizabeth admitted. "So many people I knew aren't here anymore. The people I know best all work with John... they're pretty much occupied all the time. I've hardly seen them since I've been here."

"How long are you here for?" Jennie queried.

"Five more days," Elizabeth answered. "Dr Keller's only letting me go back to work tomorrow, so I have some translating to catch up on."

"Since we're both pretty much here on our own, why don't we catch up for lunch each day?" Jennie asked.

Elizabeth nodded, "That would be great.... and Dr Keller told me you brought me tea while I was sick... to be honest, I don't remember, but thank you. It was a nice thought."

Jennie smiled at her "Think nothing of it."
Revelations by lostgrace
John stopped dead in his tracks. He'd been about to get some lunch when he walked in to see Elizabeth eating with Jennie Matthews.

He quickly grabbed a sandwich and wandered over to their table, "Ladies," he said nervously.

"John! Sit, eat with us," Elizabeth insisted, "we were just talking about Rodney and Radek and their ongoing battle for supremecy!"

John nodded, eyeing Dr Matthews suspiciously, and sitting next to Elizabeth.

They continued chattering about lab politics and the constant whining of Dr Rodney McKay.

"I do love Rodney," Elizabeth admitted, "but he can be so... childish!"

John noticed Jennie eyeing him when she thought Elizabeth wasn't watching. He was growing increasingly angry and frustrated, and his silence was the only way to avoid revealing that.

"Well, it's been great, John," Jennie said eventually, "but Elizabeth and I really should get back to the lab."

John stood as the pair cleaned up their plates and prepared to leave "'Lizabeth," he whispered, grabbing her arm "can I talk to you for a sec?"

She smiled, "Sure... Jennie, I'll meet you there."

Jennie Matthews smiled and nodded "I'll try to make sure you don't walk into a McKay/Zelenka warzone!" she said as she walked off.

John immediately turned Elizabeth to face him "Lizzy, I want you to stay as far as possible away from her."

Elizabeth gave him a confused look "John, I work with her, at least for the next few days. She's a nice girl....."

John laughed, "'Lizabeth, she's anything but a nice girl. Believe me."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow. "What is it that you don't like about her?"

"Oh, I don't know... maybe the fact that she keeps staring at my ass and says she can't understand how the two of us are together..."

Elizabeth smirked at him, "John, if I had to avoid every woman who stares at your ass, I'd have nobody to talk to."

John sighed. "Elizabeth, please. You know that scientist I can't stand? The one I wrote to you about, the one who had me so annoyed the other day? Jennie Matthews. I didn't want to say anything before because I didn't want to upset you."

Elizabeth smiled "John, I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself," she gave him a quick hug and kissed his cheek, "I need to get back to work."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was pacing around Rodney's lab to the point where the scientist was starting to get dizzy.

"Just spit it out, Sheppard!" he demanded.

"I want you to keep Dr Matthews away from Elizabeth."

Rodney looked confused, "What happened?"

"Nothing, as far as I can tell, but I had a hell of an argument with her the other day, during which she implied that if I wanted to screw around on Elizabeth while she was away, I wouldn't have to look very far."

Rodney snorted "She wishes!"

"Exactly," John said "but going by the way she carried on when I was talking to her, I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to upset Elizabeth."

Rodney shook his head "This is so highschool 'keep that girl away from my girlfriend in case she picks on her'. It's insane."

"Rodney," John said in a warning tone.

"Okay, I'll keep an eye on the situation. Maybe take Elizabeth to lunch myself from now on if it'll make you happy."

"It'd make me very happy."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth let out a quiet sigh, smiling up at John and brushing the fingers of her right hand through his hair.

"How do you think Colonel Carter would feel if she knew we'd been locked up in your room in the middle of the day, lying on your bed making out like teenagers for the past hour?"

John laughed "You know what? I don't think she'd care, provided it's behind closed doors."

"This is a much better lunch break than spending an hour with Jennie or Rodney.."

"Amen to that," John whispered, resting his forehead against hers.

"I have to get back to work...." Elizabeth said softly.

"I can't believe you'll be gone tomorrow...."

"I know.."

"We're going to make tonight extremely memorable, okay?" John promised her.

Elizabeth grinned "More memorable than this afternoon?"

"Hell yeah."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You amaze me, Elizabeth," Jennie told her. "I don't think I could be so confident, leaving a man like John Sheppard in another galaxy."

Elizabeth smiled at her, "I trust him. He's given me no reason not to trust him."

"Hmmm." Jennie tried for sympathetic "you know, there are a lot of women here who'd jump him without a second thought for you..."

"You assume he'd be open to that?"

"Elizabeth, he's a man, they're not built like us.. you know what? I'll keep an eye on him for you."

Elizabeth eyed her suspiciously, "Sure, that'd be great..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth cornered Rodney McKay in his quarters. "What's the story, Rodney?"

"The story with what?"

"John and Jennie."

"Pfft. What story? He can't stand her." Rodney admitted. "the woman won't leave him alone, staring at his ass, making passes... "

Elizabeth looked at him nervously, "Rodney, you've been my friend for a long time. You'd tell me if I had anything to worry about, right? I mean we both know he's had a reputation ... "

"The reputation came from me, and you know what? I embelished."

"Promise?"

"I promise. I spend more time with him than most people around here. If you had anything to worry about, I'd know."

Elizabeth didn't look convinced.

"Come on, Elizabeth. The guy's been living like a monk. I'm serious. You have nothing to worry about. This woman has a very obvious crush on him... she's trying to push your buttons."

"You're sure?"

"Very sure. You're going home tomorrow. Go and spend some time with him."

Elizabeth smiled, giving Rodney a quick hug "Thank you."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was stunned at the sight in front of her when she entered John's quarters. The room was lit by two candles, sitting on a table just big enough for two. John had somehow come up with two meals of pasta, just like their dinner from New Year's Eve.

"Wow."

John smiled, "Impressed?"

"Very," she grinned at him. "I want to apologise to you first though, okay?"

John looked confused, seeing no reason for her to apologise about anything.

"For not listening to you about Jennie."

"What did she do?" he demanded, his mood quickly turning dark.

"Rodney says she's trying to push my buttons..." Elizabeth mumbled. "she said something about how half the women in this place would jump you without even thinking of me... "

"What, and she thinks I have no self control?" He sighed, reaching out a hand and guiding Elizabeth to sit down at the table. "I would never, ever do anything to hurt you, that I can promise you."

"I know."

John twirled a loose curl of her hair around his finger, leaning in and giving her a quick kiss. "Let's get to this dinner before it gets cold."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth lay curled against John's side, glad the darkness of the early morning hid the tears in her eyes. Tonight had been memorable, as John had promised. Something to tide her over until the next time they were together. Whenever that might be.

For now, she was contemplating a return to earth in just hours. At 3am she couldn't sleep. It would just mean losing valuable time that she could be aware of John's presence.

Elizabeth let out a soft sigh, hoping not to disturb John from his sleep.

"Lizzy?"

She smiled. She should have known the slightest change in mood from her would be detected by him, sleeping or not.

"Hmmm?"

"You okay?" he asked sleepily.

She paused. "Just sad... I'll be heading back to earth in five hours. I can't stand the thought..." she could feel the tears escaping now.

"I know." John turned towards her, his eyes slowly became accustomed to the pale moonlight, catching sight of the streaks on her face.

He brushed gently at her cheeks, causing her to smile.

"It's only been a few days, but already I'm used to falling asleep with you, waking up with you...."

"I know..."

"I want us to get married.. as soon as possible. I want us to live together.. plan our future... we've never even talked about whether we want kids.."

John smiled at her "I'm up for one or two....if we can guarantee they get your looks and your brain."

Elizabeth laughed. "Stop being funny when I'm being miserable."

"Anything I can do to make you a little less miserable?"

Elizabeth said nothing. She just leaned in, caputuring his lips in a heated kiss.

John smirked at her "Lizzy, you're overdressed for what I have planned here.... the t-shirt has to go..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Five hours later, Elizabeth was ready to leave. Ready to head back 'home' to Earth. She said goodbye to her colleagues, before a quiet, private farewell to John in an alcove, away from prying eyes.

He watched sadly as she left, holding onto the note she'd passed him and silently promising to put in a leave form that very day so he could get back to her.

He opened the note, taking in her words,

"John,

I miss you already, I love you more than ever,

Elizabeth xx"

He smiled, noticing how similar her note was to the one he'd handed her.

Rounding the corner, caught up in his own thoughts, he didn't see Jennie Matthews, and walked straight into her.

"John!"

He sighed frustratedly.

"So, Elizabeth's gone.."

"Temporarily" he threw back at her.

She smiled "Sure... I'm sure she'll come back in a couple of months. Until then, you know, my offer to... help you out ... that stands. You know where to find me." She reached out a hand to touch his face.

John grabbed her arm before she could touch him, glaring at her coldly, "Don't hold your breath." he whispered, storming off.
Returns by lostgrace
Elizabeth looked around the arrivals area at LAX, scanning for Matthew and Abby. The moment she spotted them, Abby ran to her, giving her a hug and grabbing her light backpack.

"I'm getting this," she insisted. "I can't believe how long you've been gone!"

"It was only a few weeks, Abby," Elizabeth smiled at her niece "It's not like it's the end of the world."

"Well, we've missed you. Sedge has missed you."

"Let's go home!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It feels like forever since we've had a family dinner," Abby handed Elizabeth a bowl with apple pie and icecream for dessert.

"Abs, it's been a few weeks, that's hardly forever."

"But we were expecting you last weekend" Abby whined.

"Well, a dose of measles made me change my plans," Elizabeth told her. "as awful as the experience was, it did give me the chance to see John for a couple of days.."

"Does he miss us?"

Matt rolled his eyes, and Elizabeth laughed.

"Well?"

"Yes, he misses you," Elizabeth told her with a smile. "He misses all of us."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sergeant Mitchell Katz paced around outside Rodney McKay's lab, until the scientist could take it no longer.

"Look, Katz, either come in or go away. You're really trying my patience."

The sergeant took the final few steps into Rodney's domain, not daring to make eye contact with him.

"Well?"

Katz remained silent, seeming to struggle for words.

"I'm giving you five minutes to spit it out or get out," Rodney went about his work, sparing Katz a momentary glance.

"Okay..." Katz didn't sound at all sure of himself. "I need to talk to you about Colonel Sheppard."

"I think you've got your chain of command wrong, Katz. I'm not the one you see about Sheppard. That'd be Carter."

Katz stepped closer to where the scientist sat. "This is personal... it's not something I'd want to have Carter know about, if you get what I mean."

Rodney let out a dramatic sigh. "Then tell me or get the hell out of my lab!"

"There are some rumours going around about him."

"Nothing new about that... "

"Yeah, but the nature of these rumours... not good." Katz continued. "Heard about it from my wife. Seems Colonel Sheppard is allegedly sleeping with Dr Jennie Matthews while his fiance sits at home waiting for him."

Rodney looked up from his work immediately.

"Are you serious?"

"Oh, no there's nothing to it, I'm almost certain about that."

"I know there's nothing in it," Rodney snapped, "who the hell is spreading this crap?"

Sergeant Katz pointed in the direction of an adjoining lab, indicating Dr Jennie Matthews. "My guess is she's spreading it herself. She seems to be perfectly happy to talk to Melanie about it."

"Okay. Let me deal with it," Rodney said, "oh, and Katz? Thanks."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John left his training session early to catch up on some paperwork, leaving Ronon to take over. He picked up his gear, and headed to the door, once again almost barging straight into Jennie Matthews.

He shook his head, swearing under his breath as she smirked up at him.

"See this, John?" she asked, indicating her slim form, decked out in a crop top and shorts. "it's yours, when you come to your senses...."

John shot her a disgusted look, and stormed down the corridor.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I can't take much more of this."

Rodney looked up from his work to see John Sheppard at his door. "What? What now?"

"That damned scientist of yours. Call her off McKay, or I'll go to Carter."

"Jennie Matthews?"

"Yes, Jennie Matthews, who the hell else?"

Rodney took a deep breath, and directed John to sit down. "I need to tell you something."

"McKay?"

"I have it on good authority that she's telling people you're... you know..." Sheppard raised an eyebrow at him. Rodney stared at him frustratedly, willing him to get the point, "you know... sleeping with her." he continued eventually.

John gave him an incredulous look "You have to be kidding me... Keep her the hell under control, Rodney, or I'll have her shipped back to Earth."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Matt and Elizabeth sat on the balcony, wine glasses in their hands.

"I thought she'd never go to bed..."

Elizabeth laughed. "She's just excited. Apparently we're going to look for a bridesmaid's dress for her tomorrow."

"If you want some time to yourself, feel free to tell her. She'll have plenty of time to spend with you over the next few days."

"It's fine, Matt," Elizabeth insisted. "It might actually be nice... you know, make the wedding feel a little more ... real..."

"I'm glad you got to spend some time with John."

"Mmmm. Could be the last time we see each other for a while.. he's putting in for leave, but he's in a dangerous situation. I'm not sure when he'll be able to come back to us."

"Not easy, hey?" Matt said sympathetically.

"Not easy at all," Elizabeth admitted, "especially when there are women there throwing themselves at him..."

"Lizzy, the man adores you."

"I know..." she whispered, "it's just sometimes... You know what? Forget it. He told me he'd never do anything to hurt me, and I trust him."

"Good to know. He wouldn't dare put a foot wrong. He knows he'd have me to deal with if he did."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rodney McKay cleared everyone out of the lab except for Dr Jennie Matthews.

"We need to talk," he said firmly.

"You're not happy with my work?" she questioned.

"No, this has nothing to do with your work. It has to do with whatever it is you're doing to Colonel Sheppard."

Jennie gave him an innnocent look. "Sorry Dr McKay, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Cut the crap, Mitchell. I've heard it all. What you're doing is borderline sexual harrassment. If you were a man, someone would have reported you already."

Jennie smiled at him, "It's not my fault the Colonel has a wandering eye."

"John Sheppard has no intention of doing anything with you or anyone else here." Rodney threw back at her "and Elizabeth Weir is a close friend of mine. If it takes getting you sent back to the SGC to protect her interests here, I'm not above doing that."

Jennie smirked at him, "You wouldn't. It took you a long time to find someone to fill my position."

"Don't test me, Matthews. Now get the hell out of my sight, and stay away from Colonel Sheppard."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard flopped down onto his bed, lying on his stomach and taking out his notepad and pen.

He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to think how best to put what he had to say to Elizabeth into writing. It would hurt her, he knew that, but keeping it from her could potentially hurt her more.

"Dear Elizabeth," he wrote.

I'm finding it very hard to deal with Jennie Matthews. The woman is relentless and shows no sign of letting up. I've spoken to Rodney, told him to reign her in, and if she keeps this crap up, I'm going to speak to Carter about her. Maybe get her sent back to Earth.

I weighed up telling you what she's been doing, because I didn't want to upset you, but I decided that honesty was the best policy. Even if you don't want to hear it, you can appreciate that I'm trying to do something to stop her.

I'm lying on my bed right now, and it feels so empty without you here beside me. Carter has my leave form. I'm hoping she'll authorise a week off in about a month. I'm not holding my breath, but I am crossing my fingers.

We have a wedding to plan, the sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I miss you.

Love always,

John xx"
Insecurities by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
I'm feeling a little moody about the fate of Elizabeth.. it's starting to sink in... so she's a bit moody this time around, too.
Elizabeth Weir sat on her brother's balcony, her dog at her side, staring at the ocean. So many months after rejoining the Atlantis mission, she felt as far removed from it as she had been when she first returned to Earth.

It had been four months since a dose of measles delayed her return from Atlantis to Colorado Springs, giving her the chance to see John. There had been letters, but there was no sign of a return trip on the horizon.

It was getting to the point where she saw no future. No future on Atlantis. No future with John. The letters had continued, but despite the closeness of their correspondence, there seemed to be so much distance between them.

Elizabeth twisted her engagement ring on her finger, taking in the way it glinted in the sunlight. The sight of it gave her hope, but also reminded her of just how far away John was....

"Hey.."

Elizabeth shielded her eyes from the sun as she looked to her brother. "Hi Matt.."

"I have something for you," he handed her a package, the first she'd received since her two week holiday began.

"Thanks," Elizabeth took the package of John's letters and placed it on the table beside her.

"You're not going to open it?"

Elizabeth shook her head, sadly. "I think it's over, Matt.."

Her brother looked at her, questioning.

Elizabeth pulled her legs up in front of her, resting her head on her knees, covering her face.

"What happened?" Matthew Weir couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Lizzy... what happened?"

A muffled voice replied to him, "He's too far away... we're spending too long apart..."

"But... but you still love him, right?" Matt was stunned by the sudden turn of events. Elizabeth had been quiet, moody, sad, since she'd arrived in LA.

Elizabeth released a sigh, lifting her head. "I do," she said softly. "more than anything in this world. But it's not enough..."

"Lizzy, what's brought this on?"

"Nothing.... everything..."

"Elizabeth, you have to give me more than that."

Elizabeth gave him a sad smile. "I just think that ending it would be easier than us constantly being apart."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth slept late the next morning. Almost into the afternoon. She only dragged herself into a sitting position when the noise of children playing on the beach got too loud to ignore.

Matt or Abby had been in the room sometime in the morning, leaving the package of John's letters, still unopened, on the end of her bed. She eyed it suspiciously, willing herself to either open it and read the contents in a detatched way, or throw it out her bedroom window.

"The guest room window..." she mumbled to herself. She looked around the room. The guest room, she decided. It seemed pointless right now. She could always move out of their room and back into her room...

Sedge nudged at her leg, and she found herself with an excuse to stay in the room that she'd shared with John. It was much easier dealing with Sedge's nightly trips from the ground floor instead of waking everyone up with the click clack of her claws on the board covered stairs.

Elizabeth let her eyes rest on the package again, picking it up, and slowly, carefully as always, opening it. She reached in pulled out an envelope at random, opening it just as slowly, and unfolding the page contained inside it.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, before focusing and taking in John's words.

"Dear Elizabeth,

I'm going crazy here. I miss you. I think about you all the time. When we're offworld and I see a flower, I think that I'd like to give it to you. When I'm babysitting Rodney and his geeks at ruins on some godforsaken planet, I'm imagining you there, looking at it, full of wonder. When Carter tells me I can't take leave because we have important work to do, I want to tell her to shove her job.

Your letters and the fact that I know we'll be married one day are getting me through...."

Elizabeth dropped the page to the bed, blinking back tears. She couldn't bring herself to read any more.

If she was going to break up with him, it was going to be very, very hard to do.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard's mood had been dark for about a week now, and anyone with any sense had been avoiding him like the plague. Carter had called him to her office twice to tell him she'd received complaints about his behaviour. He shrugged it off, saying if his people were going to last against the Wraith, they'd need to develop a thicker skin.

He rounded the corner in the corridor quickly, moving with purpose although he had no idea where he wanted to be and ran headlong into another person.

"Oh, you have to be kidding me..." he muttered under his breath.

Jennie Matthews smiled up at him "Well if it isn't John Sheppard."

He fixed a stare on her, glaring.

"I"ve heard you're a little tense lately.. been giving your airmen a bit of grief."

John remained silent, not trusting himself to answer her.

She continued when it was clear he wasn't going to answer. "You know what they say about tension... I'm pretty sure I could relieve it for you if you want.." Jennie reached out and ran a hand down his left arm.

John stepped back immediately, giving her a disdainful look "Get out of my face, Matthews." he told her "You don't want to mess with me right now."

"Oh, but I do.. " she told him with a smirk. "I'll mess with you any time anywhere, John, and one day you're going to take me up on my offer, believe me."

"One day I'm going to get you reassigned to the SGC, that's what I'm going to do" he snapped at her, turning and heading back in the direction from which he'd come.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth had spent the best part of the afternoon and evening lying on her brother's couch, wrapped in a quilt, watching bad TV.

Matthew Weir raised an eyebrow at his daughter, who sat at the table, working on a homework project. "Has she been there long?"

"Ever since I got home..." Abby told him, concentration focused on the page in front of her.

"So we're talking at least four hours?"

"And the rest...."

"Did she eat?"

Abby shook her head. "I made dinner for both of us.. she didn't want anything."

Matthew sighed. "This is ridiculous..." he moved towards the couch "Elizabeth, get up."

She met his eyes "If you want, I can go to my room. Just say the word."

"I don't want you to go to your room," Matt's frustration was growing. "I want you to quit feeling sorry for yourself."

"You don't think I have a reason to feel sorry for myself?" she demanded.

Matthew sat beside her. "Lizzy, you're in a tough situation, I get that. I just don't know what's happened to make you suddenly give up all hope."

When Elizabeth didn't answer, Matt turned her to face him.

"I'm trying for the understanding brother routine here, Elizabeth. Work with me a little."

Elizabeth looked down, scrunching a section of the quilt in her hands.

"Lizzy..."

She looked not caring that he saw the tears in her eyes. "I was ready to break up with him. I'd already resigned myself to it... figured out what to write..."

"And?"

"And you left his letters on my bed. And I read one. And I couldn't bring myself to do it, even though it's what's best for both of us...."

Abby, who's been watching and listening wandered over to Elizabeth, sitting on the floor beside the couch and holding out a box of tissues she'd grabbed from the kitchen.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I swear, if she was a man, I'd hit her," John poured his frustration and anger out to Rodney McKay.

"If she was a man, she wouldn't be trying to get into your pants....." Rodney paused, "actually, scratch that... if you could hear what Dr Zelnick says about you..."

John screwed up his face "Is that a guy?"

Rodney nodded.

"I don't want to know...." John said pointedly. "You can keep him away from me too. What is it with your scientists?"

"I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.. the vast majority of my scientists wouldn't even notice you if you walked through the lab naked..."

John rolled his eyes "Whatever. But I'm serious about Matthews. I'm going to talk to Carter. I've put up with this for five months now."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abby and Elizabeth walked with Sedge to post John's letter.

"So what did you say to him?" Abby asked.

Elizabeth glanced at her, "I didn't break up with him, if that's what you're asking.."

"Good" Abby smiled at her. "That's good. Because I like him. I think he'd be a good uncle. And I think you'd have cute babies... I need a cousin or two."

Elizabeth laughed. "You might want to wait until we're in the same country before you start expecting cousins."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


John Sheppard sat at Samantha Carter's desk.

"You're serious?" Carter asked him

"Deadly," John told her. "it's me or her. You want me to, I can go back to the SGC. Lead a team there. I can't deal with her."

Sam shook her head "I don't understand, John. She's not under your command, you don't have any real need to see her at all.... I don't see why her being here is a problem."

"She may not be under my command, but she's under my feet. Every time I turn a corner, she's there, offering herself up to me like she's sure that if she's persistent enough, I'll screw around on Elizabeth with her."

Sam considered him, not breaking eye contact. "This isn't a case of you not trusting yourself around her, is it?"

John shook his head "I can't believe you just said that. If it was me saying these things to her, I'd be sent back to the SGC so fast my head would spin. And because she's a woman you're putting it back on me?"

"I'm not saying that John," Sam insisted. "It's just that I've had no complaints whatsoever about her work or her behaviour from anyone else. You on the other hand... twice this week. I can't just get rid of someone because the great John Sheppard has an issue with her."

John stood up, "You know what? Forget it. If you want to hear anything more on this, go talk to McKay. He knows the story. He's tried to get her to back off himself. I can't believe you're not willing to do the same."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Matthew Weir handed his sister a glass of wine, and sat next to her in a deckchair on the balcony.

"So, Abby tells me you posted a letter tonight..."

"Hmmmm."

"And?"

"And I told him I miss him, and that I can't wait for him to come home to us."

Matthew nodded. "Lizzy, what brought all this on? This insecurity all of a sudden?"

Elizabeth shrugged. "Being so far apart, knowing there are women where he is who are throwing themselves at him, wondering if..."

"Elizabeth, we've had this conversation before. He's not going to hurt you."

"You say that," she whispered, "but how do we know for sure?"

"We don't," Matt admitted. "but I'm a hard sell. If I trust this guy with your heart, you sure as hell can."

"And Rodney's with him... he'd tell me...you know if there was anything I should worry about, right?"

"Of course he would. He'd be scared not to! You have him wrapped around your little finger." Matt told her with a laugh.

Elizabeth smiled. "I do, don't I?"

Matt nodded. "He follows you around like a lost puppy..."

"He's not the only one... " Elizabeth revealed, "have I ever told you about a scientist by the name of Radek Zelenka?"
Frustrations by lostgrace
Elizabeth looked up from her laptop, scanning the cafe before again returning her attention to her work. Not five seconds later, a voice interupted her thoughts.

"Good afternoon Dr Weir."

She smiled, looking up, "General O'Neill..."

"You been waiting long? My flight was delayed."

"Just long enough to get some work done," Elizabeth told him.

"So... everyone's singing your praises."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow "Really?"

Jack laughed at her, "Come on, you know they are.. when don't they?"

There was a pause before Elizabeth told him what she was really thinking "Well, they obviously weren't when they took my city away from me..."

"Right. Well I think you've won everyone over all over again." Jack insisted uncomfortably. "How's it all working for you?"

Elizabeth weighed up her options. "It's... okay."

"Just okay? You wanted back in the program. You're in the program..."

"You promised me travel to Atlantis. It's happened once, and more than four months later, there's no sign of a return trip."

Jack sighed. "Elizabeth it'll happen. It's just ..."

"Jack, John and I are going to be married eventually. Living in separate galaxies isn't going to work for us. Either I live there with him, or he comes back here. At some point you guys are going to have to make a decision."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth slammed the front door and threw her keys on the couch. She had an afternoon to herself before catching her flight back to LA for a weekend with Matt and Abby.

The conversation with Jack had left her frustrated. They were once again talking in circles. It seemed to be part and parcel of any discussion between the two of them right now.

Elizabeth sat on the couch, narrowly avoiding her keys, and picked up the notepad on the table in front of her.

"Dear John,

I've had another frustrating conversation with Jack. I feel like what we're trying to achieve is getting further and further out of reach. I told him today, we're a package deal. You don't get one without the other. He looked at me sternly and told me that he can't promise me anything.

He can't promise, John. I don't know what we're going to do. You said that one of your team was married to a scientist, and that that's how she got a foot in the door. I don't know if that'll work for us. I don't know that they won't see our engagement as a premeditated way to get me back to Atlantis...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sam Carter watched as John Sheppard's team came flying through the 'gate, landing in a crumpled heap on the gateroom floor.

"Colonel"

John looked up from the bottom of the pile, "Yes Colonel.."

"What the hell happened?"

"Ask McKay..." John snapped.

Rodney opened his mouth to defend himself, before thinking better of it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"McKay, stop following me."

Rodney showed no sign of slowing down, huffing and puffing as he tried to keep up. "Just stop for a second... I've had enough exercise for one day."

John Sheppard stopped and turned to face the scientist. "And whose fault is that?" he asked. "Oh, and you don't get to call me Kirk ever again after what happened today."

"After what... I did nothing today. I didn't even touch her!" Rodney was starting to get flustered.

"No, you didn't touch her, but whatever you said was enough to get her old man to set 10 armed men loose to chase us back to the 'gate."

"Like you wouldn't have tried to..."

"No, I wouldn't," John said to him pointedly "I have a fiance back on Earth, or did you conveniently forget that?"

"Right, so how is Elizabeth?"

John gave him an incredulous look "How do you think she is, McKay?"

"How the hell should I know? You're the one who gets the letters..."

"She's not happy," John stated. "I'm not happy. We're both about ready to quit the program altogether."

Rodney looked shocked. "You're not serious?"

"You really think we're going to make a marriage work while we're living in separate galaxies?"

"But when you're married, they'll have to let her come here permanently... won't they? I mean Katz and his wife..."

John shook his head. "No, Elizabeth seems to think that they'll take it as a premeditated attempt to get her back to the city..."

Rodney laughed at that idea "Come on, you have to be kidding. Have they looked at that rock on her finger? Do they really think you'd spend that much on a sham marriage just so she can come back to us?"

"I don't know what to think... all I know is that Elizabeth's spoken to O'Neill yet again about spending some time here, and she says it's like talking to a brick wall."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John settled himself down on his bed, with his latest pile of letters from Elizabeth. He pulled one from the pile at random, ripping the envelope open, taking a bite of his sandwich, and starting to read.

"John,

I've been sitting here with this page in front of me for more than an hour with no idea what to say. I'm so lost right now. The talk with Jack that I told you about has left me feeling so disillusioned.

I love you. I love you so much, but this uncertainty isn't good for either of us. I've been thinking for a while now that maybe it's time to cut our losses. The idea of you with someone else kills me, but for you to be tied to me when there's no hope on the horizon for us to be together......"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John barged into Sam Carter's office, not caring that she was meeting with Major Lorne.

"Colonel Sheppard, I'm in the middle of ..."

"I need to talk to you now." John insisted.

Lorne looked from one to the other and back again. "So... we're good with those changes?" he asked Sam.

Sam tore her attention away from John for a moment "Yes, Major Lorne, those are perfect."

"So, we're finished here?" Lorne tried to regain her attention, but she was busy staring Sheppard down. He decided on the spot that he really didn't want to be Colonel Sheppard at that point in time.

"Yes, you can go, Major."

Lorne stood, gave John a concerned look and then left the room.

"What's the meaning of this interuption, Colonel Sheppard?" Sam's tone was icy.

"I need to talk to you. Now."

"So you said. Why you couldn't have waited until I'd finished speaking with Major Lorne...."

"I need to go back to Earth." he interupted.

Sam shook her head. "John, you have a mission scheduled for two days from now. That's not going to happen."

"I have to go back to Earth."

Sam sighed, "And I'm telling you, it's not happening."

"Sam, you've denied my last two requests for leave, you've rejected at least four good opportunities for Elizabeth to come here to work on projects..."

"I'm not a dating agency, Sheppard," Sam said sternly. "You might want to remember that. Elizabeth is to be brought here only when she's needed."

"And she was needed. I know for a fact that McKay and Zelenka requested her presence on at least four occasions.. "

"And I sign off on those requests. I didn't see a need for her to be here. It was just as easy to send the work back to the SCG for her to do..."

John swore under his breath in frustration. "You have no idea what you're doing to me here, Sam... I'm only asking for a couple of days."

"No."

John pulled Elizabeth's letter from his pocket and slammed it down on Sam's desk in front of her. "Read this. If you can say no to me after reading this, then you're not the person I thought you were...."
Surprises by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
Nearly didn't post this after seeing some comments on GW about the story going down hill... but anyway, it continues, going down hill or not....
Elizabeth Weir shuffled her mail as she walked up the path to her house. Nothing exciting. Just things with 'windows' from the bank, the power company, the phone company.

She didn't notice the car pulling up on her street until she heard his voice.

"Lizzy?"

Elizabeth held her breath, sure it couldn't be.... she turned to see John Sheppard walking up her garden path towards her.

"Oh my God," her whisper was barely audible, even to herself. She stood on the front steps to her house, unable to move as he came closer. It had been five months. Five long months since she'd seen him. A month since she'd sent her letter, offering to end things.

He was right in front of her now, their eyelines level since she was standing on the step. John reached down, maintaining eye contact with her, but taking her left hand and feeling nervously for her engagement ring.

"You're still wearing it..." he whispered "thank God you're still wearing it..."

Elizabeth closed her eyes, leaning into him, burying her face against his neck and wrapping her arms around his waist. "I couldn't bring myself to take it off.." she told him tearfully "I just couldn't do it..."

John clung to her, planting a kiss on the top of her head, "You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John handed Elizabeth a coffee, and sat beside her on the couch, turning to face her.

"I was starting to think I'd never see you again..." Elizabeth muttered sadly.

John smiled and reached out to twist a curl of her hair around his finger. "You thought wrong." he turned a little more serious. "Carter refused my leave .. you know that .. when I got your letter, " he sighed "when I got it, I stormed into her office and demanded she let me come back. She said no.. so I showed her your letter...."

Elizabeth looked horrified "Oh God, John.. I can't believe she read that..."

"Elizabeth," he said firmly, "she needed to see it. Hell, O'Neill should probably see it too. Their lack of understanding here is unbelievable, given what we know about their relationship."

Elizabeth nodded slowly, "But still... the things I said... God, John, I'm so embarrassed that she saw that.."

"'Lizabeth, they needed to start taking us seriously."

"I know," Elizabeth put her coffee down on the table beside her, and shifted closer to John, "Lie down" she whispered.

He looked at her, questioning, but shifted himself so he was lying on the couch, head against the armrest.

"I want to fall asleep with you," Elizabeth told him, positioning herself so she was curled into his side, head on his shoulder. "I've missed it... I just want to fall asleep with you..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke three hours later, to the feeling of John running his fingers through her hair. She smiled to herself, and pressed a kiss to his neck.

"Hey sleeping beauty.." John laughed, "I thought you were going to sleep through my entire visit."

"How long can you stay?" Elizabeth asked him nervously.

"Three days.. Carter worked it to coincide with your days off."

Elizabeth sat up suddenly. "God, I was supposed to go to LA this weekend..."

"We can go," John told her, "It's be nice to see Matt and Abby."

Elizabeth shook her head, "I don't want to waste a second of our time. I don't want to have to share you with anyone else... they'll understand." She laid herself back down, letting out a contented sigh as John started playing with her hair again.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John closed his eyes, breathless, resting his forehead against Elizabeth's.

She smiled at him, capturing his lips one more time. "Let's move upstairs..."

Elizabeth was shocked when John shook his head. She opened her mouth to protest, but John laid a finger against her lips. "Not yet," he insisted, "I want to take my girl out for dinner first."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John stood at the bar, ordering two drinks.

"Hey, Sheppard!"

He turned to see Daniel Jackson standing behind him.

"I thought it was you.. heard you were in town, but I missed you at the SGC when you got in..." he indicated a table in the corner "Teal'c and I are over there.. you wanna join us?"

"Uh," John appeared to be looking around for someone, "Elizabeth's in the bathroom. How about I run it by her when she gets back?"

"Oh," Daniel pushed his glasses up on his nose "Of course.. you only have the weekend together, right? You don't have to...."

"Daniel, we're going to come and hang out with you" John smiled at the suddenly uncomfortable vibe he was getting from the scientist. "Elizabeth will love the idea... I just have to.. you know... say something to her before I hijack our evening..."

"Sure..." Daniel smiled, "so, we'll be..." he indicated the table and Teal'c gave a staid sort of wave "just... you know, over there."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You want a ride home?" Daniel asked, a little the worse for wear after three hours in a bar with Teal'c, John and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow "You think that's wise, Daniel?"

"Oh! No, not me," he pointed at Teal'c "he's driving."

"Indeed," Teal'c said with a smile, "I don't think Daniel Jackson will be driving anywhere tonight."

"It's a nice night," John stated, looking to Elizabeth "I thought maybe we could walk.. it's not that far.. maybe half an hour."

Elizabeth smiled "I'd like that," she looked to Daniel, "thanks, but I think walking's a nice idea."

Daniel nodded, shaking John's hand "Good to catch up with you... " he leaned in and kissed Elizabeth's cheek, "have a good weekend, I'll see you on Monday."

He and Teal'c watched as John and Elizabeth walked out of the bar, hand in hand, after saying their goodbyes.

"I hope things work out for those two..." he said softly, as he handed Teal'c his car keys.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth giggled as John brushed her hair out of the way, kissing a spot just below her ear as she struggled to open her front door.

"John, you might want to wait until we at least get inside."

"Baby, I've been waiting all day..."

Elizabeth turned and smirked at him, "So whose fault is that? You turned me down this afternoon, if I remember rightly...." she opened the door before turning back to him, "Oh, and if you call me 'baby' ever again, you'll be sleeping on the couch permanently."

John sighed, following her in, "Fine, but if I'm on the couch, you'll be there with me."

Elizabeth smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him, "You need to stop talking and come to bed" she told him, before dragging him up the stairs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John couldn't believe how quickly the weekend was going. Saturday had been a blur. Up late, a late lunch in a cafe, followed by a movie, and a night at home. For Sunday, he picked something different, packing a picnic lunch and deciding they'd take a trip to the Garden of the Gods park.

After a day of hiking and their picnic, they returned to the car to find Elizabeth's phone ringing. She rushed to unlock the car, unaware she'd even left the phone there. John had his on him.

The phone stopped ringing before Elizabeth managed to get to it. She turned to John "Five messages..." she told him worriedly.

John reached for his phone, realising that he'd had it off during the day. He turned it on, to find he also had five messages.

"Shit," John turned to Elizabeth "something tells me these are all work related..."

Elizabeth nodded as she listened to her messages "It's Landry... wow...."

"What?"

Elizabeth smiled. "Seems they want me to go back with you. They need me to go with Major Lorne's team on a negotiation."
Rain by lostgrace
John Sheppard observed Elizabeth Weir from a distance, his expression a mix of pride and panic. She, on the other hand, looked relaxed, joking with Major Lorne's team as they waited to go through the 'gate. Her first trip through since her return to the program.

John turned to his CO as she walked up beside him, "Look, Sam, I know you don't like the idea, but I'd really like to send Ronon with them..."

"You know you can't do that.."

"But Sam.."

Sam Carter turned to face him "John, we've talked about this. How do you think Major Lorne's team will feel if you insist Ronon goes with them?"

John sighed, "I know... "

"She'll be fine, John. Your own team checked this place out with Lorne's team while you were gone. If they stay away from the mountains, they're fine, and they have no need to go near the mountains.."

"I'm starting to understand why you and Elizabeth have always worried when you've sent teams through the 'gate." he admitted.

"John, it's 10 hours. She'll be back before you know it." Sam put a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

He nodded, "Yeah. Right... well," he motioned to Elizabeth, "I'm going to... you know..."

Sam grinned at him, "Fine, go.. just keep it G-rated."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth let out a laugh at something Evan Lorne said to her, as John approached.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

She shook her head. "In jokes, Colonel Sheppard," she told him with a smile.

"Hey, there's a ring on your finger that says I should be allowed to know about any in jokes," he pouted.

"Keep telling yourself that, John."

He decided to let it go, standing and taking in her appearance.

Elizabeth narrowed her eyes at him "Why are you looking at me like that?" she demanded.

"No reason..." John reached out, adjusting a clip on her vest.

Elizabeth looked down, watching as he double checked everything.

"Looks like you're good to go..."

"Yup." Elizabeth smiled at him. "Stop looking so worried. It's 10 hours."

John looked around to make sure they were out of earshot of those around them, noticing that Lorne's team was too caught up in last minute planning.

"I want to send Ronon with you," he whispered.

Elizabeth shook her head, "John, you can't do that. It'd be like saying to Major Lorne that you don't trust him to keep me safe. What message does that send to your men? It's just not...."

"I know," John insisted. "I know. God, sometimes I think you and Carter are two sides of the same coin...."

Elizabeth smiled, "Then she must be a very good leader."

Whatever John was going to say to that was lost in a quick shout from Major Lorne to Elizabeth, asking if she was ready to go.

"Ready when you are," she replied, eyes still on John.

"Okay, let's move out," Lorne called to her.

Elizabeth turned to follow him, surprised when John grabbed her elbow.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" he asked her.

"I can't think what that might be," she stated with a mischievous grin.

"God, you're turning into me," John mumbled, before leaning towards her and giving her a quick kiss, "be careful. I'm going to be a basket case until you step back through that 'gate."

Elizabeth reached out and gave him a brief hug "I'll be fine," she whispered in his ear. "I'll be back in no time."

"Ten hours isn't exactly no time."

"I love you for worrying so much, but it's okay," Elizbeth insisted.

He nodded, not looking convinced.

Elizabeth joined Lorne's team, turning to wave at John before walking through the gate.

Sam Carter stepped up beside John, patting him on the back. "She'll be back in... " she looked at her watch, "9 hours, 59 minutes and 10 seconds..."

John rolled his eyes. "Whatever you say..." he turned to her, "You got any paperwork you need done? I need about 10 hours of work to keep my mind occupied."

Sam laughed at him, "Well, if you're offering.... step into my office."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Samantha Carter was sure she'd never been so relieved in her life as she was when Major Lorne's team 'gated back to Atlantis, exactly 46 and a half minutes late.

Colonel John Sheppard had been pacing her office since the team's first minute overdue, huffing and puffing in frustration, and generally looking like he was going to have a coronary. Sam had tried to reassure him by telling him to think about all the times his team had been late back for no real reason, but that only served to make him think about the times they'd been late because they were under attack or injured.

He'd insisted on trying to contact the team, but they hadn't been able to establish contact, which added to his growing panic.

By the time Lorne's team was standing in the 'gateroom, John was running to meet them, stunned to see Elizabeth laughing. They were drenched. Every last one of them.

"You're late," John accused.

Elizabeth laughed again, "Well, you know, we didn't expect to get caught in a torrential downpour!" she shook her head as he approached her, splattering him with drops of water.

Lorne smirked at her as he took in the disgusted look on John's face. "Scared of a little bit of water, Colonel?" he asked.

"No," John threw back at him "but you people need to stay in contact if you're going to be late like this."

Elizabeth looked to Lorne, rolling her eyes "We'll ask mother nature to cooperate with us next time, shall we John?"

Sam Carter watched with amusement, deciding to change the subject "So, how did it go?"

"Not bad," Elizabeth said, squeezing some of the moisture out of her hair, "we need to go back tomorrow, though, they're having some trouble with the warlords, that's what they want our help with. Basic training, self defence.... they're not a military society, they're farmers... they're going to need a lot of help...."

"Okay," Sam took in the soaked and shivering team in front of her, "how about you guys go and dry off.. get something to eat.. meet me in an hour."

Lorne nodded, he and his team moving off to their quarters to clean up.

John pushed a strand of wet hair off Elizabeth's face and behind her ear "Go take a shower, get into some warm clothes... I'll grab you some soup."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John hovered around Elizabeth as she sat on his bed, towelling her hair dry after her shower.

"You warm enough?" he asked, handing her a mug of soup.

She laughed. "John, I just had a hot shower, what do you think?"

"I just don't want you getting sick.. " he draped his jacket around her shoulders.

"John," she said slowly, deliberately, "I'm not cold. I'm not sick. I was in the rain for 20 minutes. No more than that... I had no idea you could be such an old woman."

John looked offended "I'm not being an old woman, thank you very much... I was just worried that you guys were late."

"Well," Elizabeth said with a smile, "now you know how I felt all those times!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Carter had decided Lorne's team, with Elizabeth in tow, would head out at 0800, spend another ten hours with the Marellen people, discuss a way of setting up a training schedule so that they could defend themselves against the armed warlords on their planet. In return, Atlantis would have access to food crops much like those on Earth, and local natural medicine.

John was still not at all happy with the idea of Elizabeth going out with the team, especially when he heard about the archaic attitude the regions warlords had towards women. They were essentially slaves.

"I really want Ronon to go back with you," he insisted as they got ready for bed.

"John," Elizabeth said frustratedly, "we've discussed this. You're overreacting. I'm perfectly safe with Lorne's team."

He watched as she slipped his t-shirt over her head, and settled into bed. "I'm not convinced."

"You want to tell Evan that? Because I certainly don't!"

John sat on the bed beside her, "Lizzy, I'm worried."

Elizabeth pulled him down until he was lying beside her, "I know you are."

"I want him to go with you." He dimmed the lights and wrapped his arms around her. "If I can't be there, I'd feel a lot better if he was there."

"John, I don't think there's any way you can do that without it looking like you think Major Lorne's team is incompetent." Elizabeth leaned up, kissing his cheek. "I'd love for it to happen if it makes you feel better, but it's really not going to look good to your men..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John tugged on Elizabeth's pack as they headed to the 'gateroom.

"John, cut it out!"

He laughed, and switched his attention to her ponytail, pulling on it lightly.

Elizabeth turned to face him, raising an eyebrow and daring him to try again.

"You're so cute when you're mad at me," he told her with a smirk.

"Whatever. If there's going to be a goodbye kiss, it's happening here, not in front of the 'gate."

She'd stopped just before entering the gateroom. John gave her a questioning look.

"I'm not kissing you in front of everyone," she told him. "it's unprofessional."

John laughed at that "Are you serious?"

"Deadly. It's not a good look"

"Hey, I'm sure we could give them something good to look at," John joked.

"You're such a child," Elizabeth said with a sigh.

"But last night I was an old woman," John said, reaching behind her to tug on her ponytail again.

"Sometimes there's a fine line between the two," Elizabeth countered.

"I've told you already that you're cute when you're mad, right?"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. "Are you going to shut up and kiss me, or am I going to just go?"

"Oh, I'm going to kiss you alright," John said as he leaned in to capture her lips.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was surprised to see Ronon geared up and ready to go when he and Elizabeth entered the 'gateroom just moments later.

"Ronon?" he questioned. "What's going on?"

"Lorne asked Carter if I could join the team. Katz is coming too," he motioned to Sergeant Mitchell Katz, who was also ready to move out with Lorne's team.

"Why the change of plans?" he asked.

"Just a precaution," Evan Lorne said as he walked up behind John. "The warlords... I doubt we'll have trouble, but better safe than sorry, right?"

John nodded, concerned, reaching out and grasping Elizabeth's hand.

"It's going to be fine," she promised.

"Ronon and Sergeant Katz will be Dr Weir's personal security team," Lorne continued. "I mean we'll all be watching her, but she'll have two people with her at all times."

"Okay." John turned to Elizabeth noting that even she was looking a little worried now. He squeezed her hand, and smiled at her.

He couldn't believe the irony of the situation. He'd spent the past few days wanting Ronon to accompany Elizabeth, and now that he was going to do just that, he felt worse about the trip than ever.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth walked beside Ronon, engaging in random chatter about what had been happening since she'd been away from Atlantis. She tried subtly to question him about his relationship with Teyla, but Ronon stayed tightlipped, turning the conversation to her and John.

The day had gone well. They'd secured a guarantee of regular supplies, as well as organising for one of the Marellen physicians to meet with Dr Keller to discuss natural healing methods for a variety of illnesses that had been known to sweep several planets in the region.

All in all, Elizabeth was pleased. She was surprised how easily this negotiation had progressed, and had wondered whether her being there really was a necessity, or whether it signified a change of heart from Samantha Carter.

She nearly walked into Ronon when he suddenly stopped and turned in front of her.

"What?"

He was looking to the sky "I think it's about to get stormy..."

The moment he made the statement, the heavens opened, and the team was once again in the middle of a torrential downpour. The rain was so heavy Elizabeth couldn't hear what Ronon was saying to her. Then the thunder and lightning started.

Major Lorne, standing a few feet away, motioned to Ronon, pointing towards the hills. Elizabeth tensed at the thought of going towards the mountains, the very area Sam Carter had said they'd be able to avoid on their trip.

But there was no cover in the open fields, and the lightning strikes were becoming more frequent. They had no choice.

The team ran towards the hills, Ronon clutching at Elizabeth's arm to make sure she didn't slip in the increasingly muddy ground. Once they reached the tree-line, they slowed back to walking pace.

Lorne and Ronon herded everyone towards a rocky outcrop. Not quite a cave, but enough of an alcove to offer some protection from the elements.

They sat, huddled together, Elizabeth with Ronon on one side, Katz on the other. Elizabeth shuddered feeling completely frozen, and was surprised when Ronon reached into her pack, and pulled out a spare jacket. He helped her remove her pack and wet jacket, replacing it with the lighter item.

"At least it's dry," he told her, putting an arm around her shoulders and rubbing on her arm in an effort to warm her up.

"Thanks," she said, offering him a smile.

He smiled back before they turned back to look outside, at the mud cascading down the hillside, and the lightning striking every few seconds.

Elizabeth looked at her watch. There was no way they'd make it back by their deadline in an hour. John was once again going to be a basket case.

She shuffled a little closer to Ronon, feeling him tighten the arm around her shoulder, and stared out into the pouring rain.
Claims by lostgrace
Elizabeth Weir woke slowly to find her head resting on Mitchell Katz's shoulder. She was stunned that she'd managed to fall asleep while the rain poured down, the thunder rumbled, and the lightning lit up the sky around her.

It was still raining. Pouring, in fact. What had been streams of water running down the hillside around their improvised cave was now a series of mini rivers, carrying mud, rocks and debris down to the fields below.

She looked around to see Lorne and Ronon wide awake, keeping a close eye on their predicament while everyone else got what sleep they could.

Elizabeth glanced at her watch. 0800. Exactly a day since they'd left Atlantis. John was going to be beside himself with worry by now. Elizabeth felt for Teyla, Carter, Rodney and anyone else who happened to come into his path.

She turned to Major Lorne "I take it we can't get out of here right now?" she whispered.

He shook his head. "Too dangerous. Some of those rocks that are coming loose from up above.... It's just too dangerous."

She nodded, let out a sigh and leaned back against the uncomfortable rock surface behind her. Katz's shoulder had been much nicer to lean on, but now she was awake there was impropriety to think about, not to mention the fact that she didn't want to wake him.

Elizabeth settled for staring out into the rain.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard hadn't slept, and as a result, neither had Samantha Carter. Or Rodney McKay, for that matter. The three sat in Carter's office, John demanding they send a team through the 'gate, while Sam stated the obvious.

"John, the place is flooded. Not just that, the way those lighting strikes are coming down, you'd be lucky to make it ten feet from the 'gate."

"But..."

"John, she's right," Rodney insisted. "The environment on that planet... the atmosphere.. it's just too volatile right now. I guess we can kiss our supplies goodbye. They'll be lucky to have any crops left at all after this."

John sighed, "This is insane..."

"I know, but we have to wait until the weather clears," Sam told him.

"We could take a jumper through."

"That gets you through the gate, into the storm and then what? You still have to walk up into the mountains to find them.... it's still too dangerous."

"Right," John said pointedly, "and meanwhile they're in the mountains with the warlords. The ones who think of women as possessions..."

"She's with a six man team, John," Sam tried to reassure him. "You think Ronon or Lorne will let anyone within five feet of her?"

"You're assuming they're all together," John told her, "you're assuming nobody's injured.. nobody's dead...." he tried to hide a yawn.

"John, you're dead on your feet," Sam looked towards Rodney, "you too. If you want to be on the team that goes through the gate to look for her, I want you to get at least four hours sleep. Now. I'll keep an eye on things..."

John looked uncertainly at her.

"I promise, if the weather clears before then, I'll let you know."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth wished Teyla was there. Being alone with six men was not ideal when you were contemplating the call of nature.

She leaned back against the rock, closed her eyes and said to herself over and over in her head "I don't have to go, I don't have to go..." The sound of running.. no streaming water, wasn't helping things.

Right now she wanted to be anywhere else. Even in her tiny windowless office at the SGC.

"It's slowing down," Ronon whispered, breaking her thoughts.

Elizabeth opened her eyes. The rain was still pouring down, but it did seem a little lighter.

Major Lorne crawled out of their space, and stood out in the rain. "Yup, it's definitely slowing down." he looked above them. "Not so much debris coming the mountain now... not so much left to come down."

A crack of lightning hit the ground a foot or so away from Lorne, causing Ronon to reach out and drag him back under the shelter.

Lorne shook his head. "So much for slowing down."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth pulled her legs up in front of her, holding onto them and resting her head on her knees. Another six hours had gone by. She was dreaming of waking up in John's room, with a bathroom conveniently nearby.

She let out a frustrated groan.

"You cold?" Ronon asked her.

She shook her head. "No.. I have other things to think about right now."

"Right..." Ronon got what she meant immediately. He grinned at her "me too."

Elizabeth watched as Ronon shuffled over to where Lorne was sitting, and whispered something to him. Lorne looked over to Elizabeth, turned back to Ronon and nodded.

"Just don't go far" he called out as Ronon arrived back in his spot beside Elizabeth.

"Right" Ronon acknowledged "Come on," he whispered to Elizabeth, handing her a light waterproof covering, "we'll have about five minutes before he sends out a search party."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An exhausted John Sheppard paced Sam Carter's office.

"John, you're going to wear a path in the floor. Sit down."

He threw himself down on the couch dramatically. "This is insane."

Sam smiled, "You've said that five times already."

"Well, it is."

"Think of this from a positive aspect. It's raining. We've had no sign of any violence, no sign of any warlord activity. They're most likely sheltering in the mountains until the rain stops."

"I'd love to believe that...." John began. "experience tells me otherwise, though. You should know how these things can go."

"I do know," Sam insisted. "But I also know that worrying about it before we know the full sitation is just going to send you crazy. Go. Get something to eat. Go talk to Rodney.. There's nothing we can do until the weather clears."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"John's going to be so worried," Elizabeth confessed to Ronon as they headed back to their shelter.

He nodded. "I've seen him in action when you've been hurt.. I'd hate to be Carter now that we're so overdue." He pushed a branch aside, so Elizabeth could move in front of him.

"Thanks," she gave him a smile, "what I wouldn't give to be..."

"Shhh" Ronon cut her off mid-sentence.

Elizabeth gave him a questioning look. He'd stopped dead in his tracks, looking around.

"We need to move.. fast..." Ronon reached for her arm and pulled her along the track towards the rocks.

Just a few metres before the entrance to their shelter, they were suddenly surrounded by men armed with arrows and slingshots. There were at least ten of them.

Elizabeth looked toward the shelter only to find Lorne and the rest of the men standing outside it, surrounded by about 20 men.

She closed he eyes, hoping against all hopes that when she opened them she'd be warm, dry and in John's quarters on Atlantis.

She opened them slowly, to the scene of the armed men rounding up the team, and starting to herd them off up the mountain.

"Great," she muttered under her breath. "just great."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After walking for an hour, staggering over tree roots and trying not to slip in the mud, Elizabeth and the team found themselves in a huge cave. She looked around, finding more men inside. So far there'd been no sign of any women. That fact was making her more than a little nervous.

"What have we here?" A large, grimy man asked softly, coming to stand on front of her.

Elizabeth was relieved when Ronon took a step forward, partly shielding her from the man's view.

The man locked eyes with Ronon "She's yours?"

Ronon gave him a confused look.

"Your wife?"

Ronon shook his head.

The man turned to Lorne. "Yours?"

"She's not a possession," Lorne snapped at the man. "she's a member of my team."

The man smirked at Lorne. "And soon she'll be a member of my team. We're short of women to service the men.. she'll be very popular."

Elizabeth felt like she was going to be sick. 'this is not happening, this is not happening' she said to herself over and over in her head. 'this is not...'

"She's my wife," a voice said behind her. She turned to see Mitchell Katz moving towards her. He rested a hand on her shoulder. "she's not available to your men."

The warlord considered him. "Do you have proof of your claim?"

Katz took Elizabeth's left hand in his, indicating the ring on her finger. He lifted his own left hand to show that he also wore a platinum ring.

The warlord shook his head "I don't see..."

"We wear rings," Katz interupted. "In our culture, our people, we wear rings. To signify that we're ... claimed.. by another."

"I'll trade you for her."

Katz shook his head, "She's not for sale."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth could have cried with relief. She was in a dark, dank cell in a cave on this Godforsaken planet, but it could have been much worse.

She sat against a rough wall, Katz by her side, watching the guards patrolling in front of them.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Think nothing of it," Katz insisted. "If the situations were reversed and it was Sheppard here with Melanie, he'd do the same thing."

Elizabeth nodded. "He certainly would... he'll be glad you and Ronon are here with me," she said, watching Ronon eyeballing the guards.

Lorne and the three members of his team sat a few metres away from Elizabeth and Katz, whispering quietly among themselves. Elizabeth hoped they were formulating an escape plan, but she wasn't optimistic.

She closed her eyes, steadied her breathing, and imagined herself standing on a balcony with John.
Captives by lostgrace
Elizabeth shifted again, trying to find somewhere comfortable to sleep in the cave. Every time she moved, a piece of rock seemed to dig into her back.

"You ever going to sleep?" a voice whispered beside her.

It was Ronon, keeping watch for the third night in a row while the others slept.

"Not exactly," she shuffled around a bit more "...comfortable ... for sleeping."

Ronon eyed the rocky ground, took off his jacket and threw it to her.

"What?"

"Put it on the ground.. sleep on it," he insisted.

"I don't want you to get cold..."

"And I don't want you to get bruises... Sheppard would kill me."

Elizabeth considered arguing the point, but knew it wouldn't get her anywhere. She just smiled her thanks, placed the jacket on the floor of the cave, and curled up to go to sleep.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth and the team had been gone for three nights, and the wild weather continued on the planet. John continued to fight for approval to go through the 'gate. Sam continued to refuse.

"You go through that 'gate and you'll be knee deep in water, with lightning striking all around you. You think that's safe?" Sam asked him.

"Sam, they weren't prepared to be away for this long.. they don't have the supplies, they could have hypothermia, they could have been captured by the warlords..."

"They could also have decided to stay in the village, when they found out the weather was going to turn bad."

John gave her a disbelieving look. "You really think that's likely?"

Sam shrugged. "Who knows? All I know is that panicking and refusing to sleep isn't going to help them. The weather's been improving. Chances are we can probably try something tomorrow. I'm not going to let you go if you don't get some sleep."

"Is that an order?"

Sam smiled sympathetically, "It's a friendly suggestion. Either you want to go to look for them or you don't. I'm not letting you go through if you don't get some sleep."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon kicked a rock across the floor of the cave in frustration.

Lorne looked up as it landed a foot or so away from him, "Watch it..."

Ronon sighed. "We've been here for days and they ..."

"I know. I'm wondering that the point is, too. But at least we stopped them from separating us from Dr Weir."

Elizabeth frowned. "What can they possibly want with us? They've left us here... not even talked to us..."

"That could be better than the alternatives," Mitchell Katz offered.

Elizabeth nodded. "It's definitely better than my alternative."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth stood to stretch her legs and regain some feeling in her numb left foot.

"Does anyone have a pen? Some paper?" she asked.

Katz immediately handed her a pen, while Grant fished around for a small spiral notepad in his pocket.

Elizabeth thanked both of them and then sat herself in the middle of their prison cave, where a small hole in the ceiling let some light filter through.

She rested the notepad on her left knee and started to write.

"Dear John,

I'm so afraid I'll never see you again. We've been here for days now, and the people who are holding us have shown no indication that they want to talk to us. They've left us in this cave to rot for all we know. I've tried to speak to them, but they aren't open to discussion with women.

Sergeant Katz saved me from a very unsavory predicament, which I won't go into. I'm extremely grateful to him.

Ronon is following me around like a guard dog, you'll be glad to know. He may be quiet, but he's been good company. They all have. I only hope that we can stay safe until you find us...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John took a bite of his sandwich, and noticed Melanie Katz holding a tray, looking around for somewhere to sit.

He motioned for her to join him, making room by stacking some of Rodney's empty plates in a pile.

"Hey! I wasn't done with those!" Rodney whined.

"Like you need more fries," John said dryly. "Melanie, join us."

Rodney turned as his fellow scientist sat beside him, placing her tray gently on the table in front of her.

"Oh, hey," he said, finally acknowledging her.

She smiled at the men, taking a sip of her coffee.

"I've been meaning to catch up with you," John told her. "See how you're holding up."

"The same as you, I imagine," she answered. "Although I have the benefit of knowing that Mitch has been trained for this...."

"Yeah.."

"He'll take care of her," Melanie promised. "I can guarantee you that. If it's within his power, he'll keep her safe."

John nodded. "I was relieved when he and Ronon were assigned to the mission. They're two of our very best."

Melanie smiled appreciatively. "Do you have any idea when you'll be able to send a team through to find them?"

John shook his head, "Not for sure."

"It's the weather still," Rodney interjected. "It's a very unstable situation. It's looking like it could clear by tomorrow, but there's no guarantee. It's a wait and see situation."

"How bad can it be?" Melanie asked.

"Lighting. Bad. Striking every few seconds" Rodney said, stealing some fries from John's plate and popping them into his mouth. "Not good at all. Once the lighting stops, we might have a chance to go through."

Melanie nodded, taking a bite of her sandwich, and the three sat in silence, eating their meals.

"Oh, hi guys!"

John tensed as soon as he heard the voice behind him, and noticed the uncomfortable looks on Rodney and Melanie's faces.

"Mind if I join you?"

Before John could answer, Jennie Matthews had sat herself down in the seat beside him. She patted him on the left leg, causing him to jump a little.

"You know what?" John directed his comment at Rodney and Melanie, "I'm not so hungry all of a sudden.. if you'll excuse me... Melanie? You know where to find me if you need to talk."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke the next morning to the sound of someone yelling out in pain. She sat bolt upright immediately, willing her eyes to adjust to the dim light.

Grant was lying on the ground being kicked in the side, while Lorne was being dragged to his feet. Both were eventually shoved in front of two guards she'd never seen before and pushed out of their chamber.

"What's going on?"

"They decided they wanted to talk," Ronon said, shooting a threatening look at the remaining guards.

"Then I should be going," Elizabeth insisted, moving towards the guards to ask them to take her as well.

"Oh no you don't," Katz grabbed her arm. "You know what they had planned for you last time they saw you. They take you over our dead bodies," he looked to Ronon, "Right?"

Ronon nodded, not breaking eye contact with the guards, still staring menacingly at them.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was a relief when Lorne and Grant returned an hour later, none the worse for wear. Elizabeth rushd to them, checking to see if they'd been injured, but Lorne insisted they hadn't been touched.

"They just wanted to talk." he said, motioning for the team to join him in the far corner, away from the guards.

"About?"

"About who we are, what we're doing here... I told him we're travellers. We go from planet to planet looking to trade. He asked our business with the Marellens... I told him we wanted to trade medicine for food. He seemed to buy it."

"And what do they have planned for us?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Well, seems they want to dig further into this rock.. renovate if you will. They've decided we're just the slaves to help them do it."

Ronon spoke up immediately "If they want us to mine, they'll need to give us equipment. That can be used to fight back. Get us out of here."

Lorne nodded, "That's what I'm hoping, but I don't want us to take any risks. We're going to have to see what the guard detail is like on the dig." He turned to Elizabeth, "they offered to let you work in the kitchen, but I don't like the idea of you being separated from us. Unfortunately you'll be hauling rocks with the rest of us."

"That's for the best," Elizabeth told him, "thank you."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard stood in the middle of the Marellen village with Rodney, Teyla and the four Marines who'd joined their rescue mission. The town had been all but destroyed, and only three buildings remained standing.

Those were the only brick buildings in the settlement, and they now housed the survivors. So many had been killed by lighting strikes, including the leaders, who'd been negotiating deals with Elizabeth just days before.

John had established that Elizabeth and the team had left the village about an hour before the storm hit. He estimated that would have put them about half an hour from the 'gate when the rain came down.

The only place they could possibly be was in the mountains.

John turned to his team. "Come on, let's move out." he looked to the horizon "looks like we have some hills to climb."
Fatigue by lostgrace
Elizabeth Weir sat herself down on the floor of the cave very carefully. She was aching in muscles she didn't even know she had. She didn't think she'd ever been so exhausted in her life.

"You okay?" Ronon asked.

"Fine," she lied. What she wouldn't give for a bubble bath and a soft bed right now.

They'd spent ten hours a back cave, digging and chipping at rock, for less than a foot of progress. 13 other captives had been working with them, most prisoners from the Marellen village. All of them men.

Lorne had been assessing the situation, but Elizabeth herself had noticed there were more guards than prisoners. Escaping from here would not be possible, especially given the fact they'd have to make their way back through the main cave area to exit.

Elizabeth poked at the blisters forming on her right hand, standing carefully and moving to the small shaft of light in the centre of the cave to look closely. The moonlight didn't help her any more than the small, flaming torches by the guards did, but a steady drip of water from the hole cooled her hand.

She looked up. "It's raining."

"What?" Katz asked.

"There's water coming in, it has to be raining again."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John's team was about 100 metres from the foot of the mountains when the rain started to pour down.

"Oh, great," Rodney whined. "We could be..."

Whatever he was going to say was drowned out by a roll of thunder. A crack of lightning hit a nearby tree, sending a branch down just a few feet away from Teyla.

John motioned towards the hills, unable to make himself heard over the fury of mother nature.

The team ran, aiming for the shelter of rocks on the lower level of the mountain.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth watched as two of the guards lifted a huge wooden bucket into the middle of the cave to catch the water that was coming in. She curled up on Ronon's jacket, closing her eyes and listening to the splash of water dropping into the bucket.

It was going to be a long night.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John's team had found the same rocky outcrop that Lorne's team had sheltered in days before. It had been the only section of rock to offer any shelter from the elements, and only McKay's desperation for cover had led them to it. While the others had thought they'd have to shelter in the treeline, Rodney had decided he'd have none of that, and continued to search the rockface.

They were currently huddled together, watching water gushing down the hillside around them.

"How long is this going to last?" John asked.

"You're asking me?" Rodney threw back at him. "how the hell should I know. It could be over in ten minutes or it could go for the next four days."

"Great, that's just great, McKay," John snapped.

"Do I look like a meteorologist? You saw what happened...."

"They were here," Teyla interupted.

All eyes were suddenly on her. "What?" John asked.

"Elizabeth, Ronon, the team.. they were here." Teyla held up a discarded wrapper from a powerbar. "I do not think the natives eat these." she told them with a smile. "We may be closer to them than we thought."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth felt a hand shaking her shoulder, gently but insistently "John?" she asked sleepily.

"Afraid not."

She opened her eyes, focusing on Mitchell Katz in the half light. "What's happening?"

"Time to get up," he told her. "Time to get to work."

Elizabeth nodded, moving to a sitting position and noticing that the others were all getting ready to move out of the cave. They'd left it until the final moment to wake her up.

"I saved you something to eat," Katz handed her a plate with a piece of bread, and dipped a cup into the now half-full bucket of water in the centre of the room to give her something to drink.

"Thanks."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"The rain's stopped," Rodney McKay observed.

"For now," John Sheppard answered.

"No, I really think it's stopped..." Rodney stepped out of their shelter, taking a good look at the sky. Not a cloud was in sight. It did indeed seem that the storm had passed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A crashing sound and a loud shriek tore Evan Lorne's attention away from the rockface in front of him. He turned to see Elizabeth Weir, lying on the floor of the cave, her left foot pinned by rocks. Next to her, Mitchell Katz was also in the area of the fall, both of his legs covered in rocks up to the knees.

The work team, including the Marellens, immediately moved into action, pulling the rocks off the pair.

"Are you okay?" Ronon asked Elizabeth.

She nodded, "Fine, it was just a shock... my ankle hurts a bit, but it's fine."

Mitchell Katz was another story. His pants had been cut by the jagged rocks, and were becoming soaked in blood.

Elizabeth gasped, "We need to get him cleaned up," she said, "we need to see how bad it is..."

Ronon and Grant were slowly lifting him, while Lorne approached the guards, to tell them there was no way Katz and Elizabeth could continue working.

The lead guard nodded, motioned for two others to approach the prisoners, and allowed them to help Katz out of the work area. Elizabeth moved to follow, but one of the guards pushed her back towards the rest of the workers.

"She's injured," Ronon said insistently. "She needs to rest." he motioned towards the retreating figure of Katz "he needs help. She's the best person to do it."

"I'll be two workers down." the guard snapped at him.

Ronon gave him a cold stare and looked down at him "You think I can't do the work of three?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth pushed Mitchell Katz's pants up his lower legs, to reveal the extent of the damage done by the rocks. He had several deep cuts and severe brusing.

She dipped a scrap of fabric that had been passed on by the guards into a bowl of water she'd collected from the bucket.

"This might hurt a bit," she said softly, "there's some gravel in there that I need to clean out."

Katz nodded, gritting his teeth and letting her get to work.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John had just about had enough of Rodney's complaining. They'd been walking for about two hours, scouring the hillside for any sign of Lorne's team, but there had been none. Any evidence of footsteps or disturbed ground had been washed away by the storm, so tracking them was not going to be easy.

"We're going around in circles," Rodney whined.

"We're not going around in circles, quit complaining!" John threw back at him.

Teyla smiled, surveying the area as she listened to the two bicker.

"Colonel," she interupted.

Rodney and John immediately turned to face her.

"There appears to be a settlement in that gully ahead."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I'm starting to think sitting here with nothing to do is worse than hauling rocks."

Mitchell Katz laughed, "You could be right about that."

"How do your legs feel?" Elizabeth asked.

"They've been better," Katz answered. "Hey, at least they're not broken."

"Hmmm." Elizabeth nodded. "can I ask... do you think they'll find us?"

"Of course they will, they're dealing with the weather, just like we were."

"Yeah... I'm sure that's it."

Katz took in Elizabeth's apprehensive look and reached out to take her left hand.

"Take a look at this thing," he said, indicating the diamond on her ring finger.

She looked down to see it glinting in the light from the torches glowing nearby.

"You think a guy who buys you a rock like that will let anything get in the way of finding you?" he shook his head, "Not going to happen."

Elizabeth smiled. "You're right... thank you."

"No problem." Katz squeezed her hand. "I need you to promise not to flash that thing around my wife, by the way."

"Deal." Elizabeth closed her eyes, leaning back against the wall of the cave, fatigue once again taking hold. She twisted the ring on her finger and remembered the night John proposed.
Battles by lostgrace
John Sheppard looked into the gully below, seeing about 20 small brick buildings, all of them flooded. Much of the water had flowed into a creek, but it was still about a foot deep around the properties.

"You think anyone's home?"

The village looked deserted, no surprising given its prone position in the gully. Debris had washed down from the hills, leaving piles of rocks and branches at regular intervals around the town.

He looked to the rest of his team "Let's check it out."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth glanced at her watch. It had only been a couple of hours since she and Katz had left the work area, and it felt like a week. They'd talked, she'd rechecked his wounds and she'd stretched her legs, limping around their cave trying not to put too much pressure on her left foot.

She sat down on Ronon's jacket and let out a huge sigh.

"What's wrong? I mean apart from the obvious?" Mitchell Katz asked her.

"I'm bored, tired and I want to go home."

Katz laughed "And where exactly is home for you?"

"I've been asking myself the same question," Elizabeth admitted. "I'm tossing up between Atlantis and California, but to be honest, it's wherever John is."

"I get where you're coming from" Katz told her. "When I joined the program, Melanie was given clearance, but she wasn't guaranteed to get to Atlantis. She'd been at the SGC, so her chances were strong, but if it hadn't worked out, I would have asked for a transfer back."

Elizabeth nodded. "I took the job at the SGC hoping it'd get me regular trips to Atlantis. My first time I get measles, my second time I get hijacked by space warlords."

"Some people just have no luck.."

"You're right there..." Elizabeth tried to cover a yawn.

"You're tired," Katz observed, "get some sleep. I'll keep watch for a couple of hours. You can return the favour when you wake up."

"Sounds like a plan," Elizabeth curled up on Ronon's jacket, after folding her own up to use as a pillow.

She was asleep within seconds.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John's team waded through the village, ankle deep in water from the flooding of the night before. There was no sign of anyone. The three houses they'd checked were empty, most likely abandoned when the rain started to pour down.

"Wonder where everyone went..." he murmured.

"To the caves," a small voice answered.

John turned around in shock, looking for the source of the voice, and eventually seeing a small boy, perhaps five or six years old.

"And who are you?" he asked.

"You are in my home," the child answered, "I should ask who you are."

John laughed at that, "You're right. You should. I'm John."

"I am Damon," the child answered.

"Well, Damon, why'd they leave you here on your own?"

"They did not."

Before John had the chance to ask what the boy meant by that statement, a voice boomed behind him.

"Who are you, and what are you doing in my house?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John, Teyla, Rodney and the Marines sat in a small stone cottage, water lapping at their feet.

"You say your friends have disappeared."

"Yes. We think they got stuck in the storm," Teyla answered. "We are afraid they may have been captured by warlords."

The man, Milan, looked worried.

"Six men and a woman," John told him.

"A woman?" if possible, Milan looked more concerned.

"Yes," John said frustratedly, "about so high, dark hair, green eyes, wearing the same uniform as the men."

"This is not good..."

"We know it's not good," Rodney sounded annoyed, "we just need a bit of direction about how to find them."

"There is only one group that could have them. And the woman? She is better off dead than with those animals." Milan answered.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard had stormed out of the cottage after Milan's statement about Elizabeth. He stood in the middle of the debris, staring at the sky, cursing mother nature for delaying their rescue attempt with days of storms.

"John?"

He turned to see Teyla standing behind him. "I can't...."

"We do not know that she has been hurt," Telya told him.

"I'm so stupid," John mumbled under his breath, "I can't believe I let it get to this point."

Teyla looked confused. "John, this is not your fault It could have happened on any mission."

"You don't get it. She wants to be here because I'm here. I should have insisted on a transfer to the SGC. If I had, she'd be safe in her little shoe box office. I'd be leading SG.. whatever number they're up to now. We'd be living together in her house in Colorado Springs, and we might even be married by now...."

Teyla nodded her understanding.

"Instead she's on this piece of crap planet being held by barbarians who've probably..." he continued.

"We do not know that," Teyla interupted. "if she is with Ronon then I believe she will be safe. He would fight to the death to protect her."

"If he's with her."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon, Lorne and the team doubled their work efforts. The guards had threatened to bring Elizabeth and Katz back if work wasn't progressing to their liking, and the team had no doubt that would happen.

These people showed no compassion for their workers. One of the Marellens had suffered head injuries in a fall in the same area as Elizabeth and Katz not half an hour after the two had left. He'd been dragged to a corner by the guards, who'd refused to allow Major Lorne to help him. He now struggled to remain conscious.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once John had regained his composure, he and Teyla has reentered the cottage.

"There is currently a battle for supremacy in this region," Milan told the team. "The group that has ruled this area is being encroached upon by another. The second is more dangerous than the first. If your friends have been captured, as bad as they are, you would be hoping that the existing group has them."

"This is getting worse by the second," John murmured.

"The Marlos group is rumoured to be digging further into the mountain, but the Crassons are likely to chase them out of the area, sooner rather than later. They have more sophisticated weapons. They are more skilled fighters."

John sat heavily in a chair at the small table. "How skilled? How many of them are there?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was woken from her nap by a large explosion, and a shooting pain through her injured foot.

She sat up with a start, just as one of the guards was about to give her a second kick. "What's happening?" she asked Katz.

He shrugged, and tried to stand. Elizabeth rose and helped him lift himself from the floor of the cave, her arms around his waist, his left arm around her shoulder.

"We are leaving." one of the guards stated. "Now! Move!"

Katz and Elizabeth stumbled and staggered as the guards moved them along a seemingly endless corridor, flashes of torches blurring their vision.

"Where's our team?" Katz demanded, struggling with the pain of his leg injuries.

"Ahead. They will not be left behind. We will need someone to sacrifice to the Crassons if the violence is too fierce."

"Where are we going?" Elizabeth asked.

"To another cave complex. Further in the mountains. It will be a long walk. If you can not keep up, I will leave you for the Crassons to find."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It had been 20 minutes and many tunnels before Elizabeth and Katz had caught up with the rest of the team. Ronon and Grant immediately took care of Katz, while Lorne checked that Elizabeth was alright.

"I want to check your ankle," he insisted.

"You think they're really going to let us stop?" Elizabeth asked.

"No. Lean on me, don't put too much pressure on it."

Elizabeth did as Lorne suggested, and they moved a little faster. They travelled like that for six hours before the Marlos decided it was time to stop for the night.

Elizabeth staggered as she and Lorne were pushed into a clearing, where at least 200 people sat. The rest of the group was there. Some women, a few children, but mostly men.

Lorne's team and the Marellen slaves were pushed to sit down on logs, their hands pulled behind their backs and bound tightly with vines.

Ten men were left to stand duty, watching them through the night, while the Marlos people sat around a campfire, eating and telling war stories.

The women stayed to themselves, trying desperately to keep the children quiet. They were mostly left alone until a particularly violent looking man dragged one of them, protesting, off into the forest, a lewd look on his face.

Elizabeth sat, stunned at her predicament. They'd travelled more than six hours. That put them another six hours away from where John would think they were.

She was grateful the darkness hid the tears in her eyes.
Setbacks by lostgrace
John scanned the area around the cave complex, seeing no sign of movement. Darkness had settled in, and he'd expected to see even a faint light coming from inside.

There was nothing.

He motioned to McKay and Teyla to stay where they were, to keep watch, and for the marines to follow him into the cave structure.

Someone had been there recently. That much was obvious from still smouldering coals in a makeshift fire. The possession that he assumed would have been placed neatly around the entrance to the cave were strewn around the floor as though the place had been ransacked. Further inside, he saw a pile of military issue packs, most of the items pulled out and thrown around the floor.

"They were here," he said. "they're gone now."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John's frustration was growing. After finding nothing in the caves, the team had trudged back to the village, to find out what else Milan knew.

He couldn't believe they'd wasted more than an hour.

Milan was shocked to hear the group was no longer there. "It is worse than I thought," he told John. "it would signify the Marlos know they're losing ground. They will have moved to another cave complex."

"Where?" Rodney asked.

Milan shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine, however it is unlikely to be less than a day's travel away."

"Then we should leave now."

"No," Milan said firmly. "You can not leave now. You would put yourself at risk of being captured by the Crassons."

"You have to be kidding me." John muttered. Things were rapidly getting worse. He turned to the marines "Chan, Phillips, I want you to go back to the gate first thing in the morning. Tell Carter we need reinforcements, and bring a jumper through."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was woken suddenly by Lorne, nudging her left shoulder gently.

Startled from her sleep, she looked to him, confused, and jumped when suddenly Grant, who was on her other side, was shoved from the log, landing face down in the dirt.

The guard responsible eyeballed Elizabeth, and then Lorne, before moving on to the Marellen prisoners.

"Thanks," Elizabeth whispered.

"No problem. After the ankle, I figured the last think you'd need was a face full of dirt." Lorne frowned. "I think they're about to move us out of here."

Elizabeth nodded. "We're getting further and further away from the 'gate."

"I'm trying to leave them signs that we were here," Lorne told her, "but that's only going to work if the rain doesn't start up again."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John woke early, sending Phillips and Chan on their way back to the gate, before rounding the rest of his team up to get back on the search.

It took them half an hour to make it back to the Marlos cave, where they could look for signs of movement to another hideout. Rodney and Teyla went through Lorne's team's packs, to see if anything had been left that could be useful. They came back with a couple of knives.

John stared into the blinding sun, such a distinct change from the rain that had poured down on the team's arrival.

"Okay, let's see where they went."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth stayed close to Lorne on the outer left side of their convoy. The 200 or so people had been broken into groups of about 25, each with several prisoners who were to be used as shields if the need arose.

Elizabeth, Lorne and Ronon had been placed in a group with 22 men, including the fierce looking character who'd dragged the woman into the forest the night before.

He'd been eyeing her for the past two hours, making Elizabeth feel sick to her stomach. She knew Ronon had noticed, and was sticking close to the man, ready to move, in case he tried anything.

Elizabeth couldn't help but worry about Mitchell Katz. He was being helped by Grant and one of the Marellen prisoners, all three of them bound together and guarded closely from both sides in the group in front of them.

His legs had not improved. He still felt pain, and she knew he'd need his wounds cleaned.

She let out a sigh, and shifted closer to Lorne, as the 'fierce' man moved a step towards their side of the convoy. Ronon immediately shifted his position, so he was between her and the man.

Elizabeth smiled gratefully at him, but knew that he was limited in what he'd be able to do should she be threatened. All the prisoners still had their hands bound tightly behind their backs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two hours had become six, and the convoy showed no sign of slowing down. Elizabeth was tired, hungry and thirsty. The blazing sun made her back feel like it was on fire, and the dappling of shade from the canopy above did little to relieve her discomfort.

She staggered a bit as Lorne tripped over a tree root in front of him, almost falling into her. Ronon managed to edge himself in front to prevent both from falling, all the while having his hands tied behind his back.

"What is wrong with you people? Can you not you walk straight?" the fierce man yelled.

Elizabeth was beginning to wish she'd been grouped with the children. She knew they'd have to stop for them every now and then. This group showed no sign of slowing down.

"How much further?" Ronon asked the fierce man.

"Another day."

Elizabeth gave Lorne a panicked look. Another day. That would put them two days away from the gate. Two days further away from rescue.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John smiled cautiously. "What do you make of this?" he asked Teyla.

She grinned at him "I would say that someone has been wearing military issue boots along this path."

"So we're on the right track." John said triumphantly. It had taken them more than an hour to find a back exit from the cave complex, which was about a 40 minute walk from the entrance. It had come up at the edge of a creek, and the team had spent the best part of two hours, trying to see which way Elizabeth and the team had gone.

Eventually in the mud on the banks of the creek, he found them. He could easily distinguish the large prints from Ronon, and Elizabeth's boot marks, much smaller than all the others.

"At least we know they got out." Rodney murmured.

"We can only hope they weren't captured by the Crassons" John said. "Milan said it would be much worse for Elizabeth..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Twelve hours into their trek the Marlos decided to take a break for the night. Elizabeth was part relieved, part concerned. Stopping would mean the Marlos men would be drinking again. She couldn't think of anything worse than enduring another night like the one before.

The prisoners were all pushed, hands finally released so they could eat, towards a large tree. They were once again surrounded by about 15 guards, as the group set up camp.

Those who'd arrive earlier had cooked a meal of sorts, and passed a small amount to the prisoners. Elizabeth looked at it suspiously, before deciding that it was this or nothing, and she needed to eat.

"Huh, tastes like chicken" Katz said, and she laughed in spite of herself.

"I need to look at your legs," she told him, carefully lifting the legs of his pants again. She gasped at what she saw. The makeshift bandages were covered in dry blood. It be painful removing them. "I'll have to get some water..."

Elizabeth started to stand, only to be pushed gently down again by Ronon. "I'll get it," he insisted. "I don't want to give them any reason to interact with you."

Elizabeth nodded, feeling furious that she was in this situation. That a woman as strong as her would be left with no bargaining power in a society like this because she was a woman.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John's team followed the muddy tracks as far as possible, before it got dark, the ground turned rocky and they were confronted by a thick patch of trees.

"Now what?"

Teyla scouted ahead for a moment, finally yelling back "They went this way."

She was right. There was a distinct path through the forest, on the other side of a particularly dense patch of trees and fern-like plants.

"So, I guess we go that way, too..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon returned to Elizabeth with a bowl of water and scraps of fabric. Enough to clean Katz's wounds and serve as new, cleaner bandages.

"This is going to hurt... are you sure you don't want to do it yourself?" she asked, hoping the Sergeant would prefer that option.

He shook his head, "No, I trust you. Just rip them off as fast as you can."

Elizabeth hesitated, before deciding to use some of the water to soak the bandages and make them easier to remove. She waited a few minutes for the water to soak in, before trying to unravel the fabric. She took it slowly, despite Katz's call for it to be fast. She couldn't bring herself to tear the bandages from his leg, afraid of reopening his wounds.

"Wow"

"Is that good or bad?" Katz asked.

"It's good. As good as it can be," Elizabeth told him, "the bruises are very colourful, but the cuts .. they're looking better, even with all the walking."

"Must be your bedside manner!" Katz joked.

Elizabeth smiled sadly, "Complimenting my bedside manner? You must remember to tell John that it's improved."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If John had had his way, he'd have travelled through the darkness to get to Elizabeth and the team, but sense told him that they needed a break. They needed to sleep. They'd have no idea where they were going in the dark.

They settled in a small clearing for the night, near somewhere that had obviously been a camping ground for a large group of people.

John had decided the large campground had most likely been used by the Marlos, but felt it unwise to stay in the same place. It would be better to camp nearby and keep watch in case someone returned.

Rodney sat heavily on the ground beside him. "Have I told you my feet are killing me?" he asked.

"Several times," John answered.

"Good. Just so you know...."

"My best bet is that they camped here last night," John changed the subject.

"Well, that's pretty obvious," Rodney said sarcastically.

"Yeah, well obvious or not, it means they're about a day ahead of us." John sighed. "Who knows how many days they're going to travel. we're so far from the gate already..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth shifted uncomfortably in her sleep, waking instantly as a pungent smell hit her nose. She opened her eyes, blinking to be able to see what was happening. The darkness and her sleepiness made it difficult to focus.

If she was still sleepy, she was woken instantly by a loud "No!" from Ronon.

The entire camp was roused by the sound, and it was then she realised that the fierce man was leaning over her, about to reach into her shirt. She yelled with everything she had, but no voice came out. She yelled again, she could hear herself shouting in her head, but still no sound was heard by those around her.

Ronon rose and pushed the fierce man as hard as he could, ready to beat him into a bloody mess, getting in a few punches before four guards dragged him off the man.

Once they'd finished with Ronon, they pushed Elizabeth's would-be attacker to the other side of the camp.

Elizabeth sat in shock, virtually hyperventilating now. Mitchell Katz shifted closer to her, "Breathe," he told her, rubbing her back, "breathe..."

She managed to calm herself, slowing her breathing. She looked around to see Lorne arguing with one of the guards, and Ronon glaring across the campground at the man who'd tried to attack her.

Katz shifted her back so that they were leaning against a tree, Grant moving to sit on her other side.

"Sleep," Katz told her, "I'll keep watch."

She rested her head against his shoulder and tried to will herself to sleep.
Threats by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
No sure how this happened, but yes, chapter 36 is up... so much for a thousand or so words and then stopping..
'Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot...' Elizabeth repeated the mantra over and over in her head as she and Ronon helped Mitchell Katz along the narrow, rocky path.

She had decided after last night's events to stay closer to him. If the Marlos were mostly leaving her alone because they thought she was married to Katz, being around him as much as possible was the best course of action.

Her close call with the fierce looking man, whose name turned out to be Garron, had left Elizabeth shaken. It had made her realise the true severity of her situation. She was lost. Hijacked by a rebel group on an alien planet where floods could wash them away at any time.

Elizabeth glanced up at the sky, a bright blue with a strong sun beating down on her. No sign of flooding right now, she decided, but the climate here was far from predictable. That much she'd learned in the past few days.

She wondered where John was. She wondered if he felt as helpless in this situation as she did, she wondered if they were ever going to stop walking.

And then they did. Seven hours after they started walking that morning, the convoy came to an abrupt halt. She looked to Ronon and Katz, who appeared just as baffled as she was. There was no sign of any settlement. No sign of a cave.

Garron and one of the guards disappeared behind a particularly dense patch of bushes, only to return moments later with three more people.

"Move," Garron demanded, motioning for the Elizabeth, Ronon and Katz to head into the area behind the bushes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once Elizabeth's eyes adjusted to the half light inside, she noticed there were torches, hanging precariously from the sides of the entrance cave. About 50 people were inside the large room, the rest were no doubt further into the cave complex.

"You stay here," Garron sneared at them. "You are our first line of defence. If the Crassons enter the cave, you will be the ones they will kill first."

Elizabeth was glad to see Lorne, Grant and the others emerging from the darkness to stand nearby.

Garron motioned for them to sit along one side of the cave wall. "You will stay here. If you move, the guards will not hesitate to kill you."

He left, heading deeper into the caves, and leaving Lorne's team and the Marellens surrounded once again by about 20 guards.

Elizabeth let out a sigh of relief. If nothing else, at least Garron had gone for now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard stopped, listening intently. He motioned to Teyla, who in turn, motioned to the marines, as she dragged Rodney into thick shrubbery by the side of the narrow path.

"Lie still," she told him softly. "and don't breathe."

Rodney looked like he wanted to shoot a snarky comment back at the Athosian, but thought better of it. He watched, wondering what John Sheppard could possibly have heard to make him drag them into this prickly mess of branches.

After about five minutes, who teenage boys wandered along the path, armed with slingshots and arrows. John made eye contact with the marines, motioning for them to make their move.

Within seconds, they had the shocked pair surrounded.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth listened as Lorne and Ronon discussed their prospects of escape. They spoke in hushed tones, but every now and then a guard would come over, give one of them a kick, tell them to shut up, and go back to eating his evening meal.

"I think it's too dangerous right now," Lorne insisted. "We have Katz with injured legs, Elizabeth still can't run properly with her ankle that bruised... "

"I can make it," Elizabeth whispered. "If someone else can help Mitchell, I can make it."

"No," Lorne said firmly, "it's too much of a risk. We need to at least even the odds. There are.. what? 18, maybe 20 of the guards? They're armed, we're not. It's not going to happen."

"The best thing we can hope is that the Crassons attack," Katz added.

His statement led to shocked stares from all the prisoners, Marellens included.

"If they attack, we lay low ... hope they realise we're prisoners, and escape in the mayhem that follows."

Lorne sighed frustratedly. "What we need to hope is that Sheppard gets here with reinforcements, sooner rather than later."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard's patience was wearing thin. The teenagers were refusing to talk.

"Perhaps they do not understand you," Teyla offered.

John rolled his eyes, "Oh, they understand me, alright. Did you see the looks on their faces when I said I'd feed them to the Crassons?"

One of the marines let out a snorting laugh, stopping immediately when John gave him a glare.

"Look, I'm through with this. McKay, you try. If they don't offer anything up, bore them to death with science."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth picked at the food the Marlos had given her. It was a mush of something she couldn't even begin to describe, and somewhere between a green and grey colour.

"You think this tastes like chicken?" she asked Katz.

"Doubtful," he admitted, lifting a bit on a spoon and smelling it. He wrinkled his nose. "Nope, definitely not chicken."

"You both need to at least try to eat it," Lorne insisted. "You're the two who need it the most."

Elizabeth gave the substance a distasteful look before taking a cautious mouthful. She swallowed, gave Katz a thoughtful look and told him it didn't taste as bad as it smelled. He in turn took a mouthful, immediately spitting it back into the bowl.

"That's disgusting."

"Yeah, but it smells worse than it tastes," Elizabeth insisted.

"Well that's not hard when it smells like dead socks," Katz mumbled.

"Hmmm. Not a bad description," Elizabeth put the bowl down, and reached into her pocket for her notepad and pen. She settled down against the wall of the cave, angling herself so the light hit the paper, and resting the pad on her knee.

"What you doing?" Katz asked, looking over her shoulder.

"Nothing..." Eizabeth turned the notepad over.

"Yeah, right. Seriously, what are you doing?" he whispered.

"You'll think it's crazy," Elizabeth said nervously.

"Try me."

She took a deep breath. "I'm writing to John."

Katz considered her for a moment. "Got a spare piece of paper?" he asked.

She looked at him curiously, handing him a piece.

Katz grabbed a marker from his pocket. "Thought I'd write to Melanie," he told her.

Elizabeth grinned at him, and the two settled back to write.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John eyed the teenage prisoners, willing them to speak. It was dark. They'd been trying to get something out of them for the best part of two hours, and still, nothing.

He left Sanchez and Marshall to watch the boys and sat with the others to discuss the situation.

"I say we let them escape," Bilson suggested.

John looked at him like he was an idiot, "What kind of idea is that? That's not an idea, it's..."

"Actually, it's brilliant," Rodney interupted.

Bilson smiled, "Thanks Dr McKay."

"Yes, yes. Don't get a big head," Rodney muttered.

"We let them go? How is that brilliant?"

"Wondering about Mensa again.." Rodney teased. "We let them go because we know they're going to the other Marlos. We follow them."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Katz and Elizabeth sat wide awake, while the other prisoners slept around them.

"So how did you and John meet?"

Elizabeth tried hard not to laugh, "He flew General O'Neill to the base in Antarctica... wandered in, sat in the chair and operated it in a way we'd never seen before. I knew then and there I had to have him for the mission."

"Wow."

"Yeah... wow. We worked together a bit over three years. He was my closest friend.... I didn't realise how close we were until they threw me off the expedition."

"I wish I'd been there to see you as leader," Katz whispered.

That comment did make Elizabeth laugh. "You wouldn't recognise the place. It's so... military now. I mean it always was, but if you could hear the scientists now... they feel undervalued, unrecognised..."

"I've heard it, believe me," Katz told her.

"Oh, of course. Melanie. Rodney speaks very highly of her."

"Yeah, but never when she can hear him," Katz said with a laugh.

"Welcome to the world of Rodney. Never compliment, always complain. As much as I love him, he's truly a mad scientist."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard feigned sleep, as did the other members of his team. He impatiently opened one eye slightly, to see the teenagers still sitting there, staring off into space.

He was ready to jump up and chase the prisoners away if it would get them moving sooner. It was almost light and they'd shown no sign of trying to escape all night.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke to the sound of footsteps crunching on the rocky floor of the cave. She opened her eyes slowly, seeing Garron standing right in front of her, staring intently.

She reached out and clutched at Ronon's arm with one hand, while also shifting closer to Katz for the sake of appearance.

Ronon was alert immediately. If looks could kill, Garron would have dropped dead on the spot. Instead he gave the pair a sly smile. "You will not always be there," he sneered at Ronon, "and when you are gone, she will pay for your interference."

Elizabeth shivered, not sure if it was from fear of disgust, and pulled her jacket tighter around her body.
Contact by lostgrace
The teenagers finally got up and started moving, around the time John was ready to kick their sorry butts.

He and the others gave them a good 45 seconds to get out of the clearing before they started to make a move to follow them. All except Rodney.

"McKay," John whispered loudly.

He was greeted by a snort, as Rodney rolled over onto his other side.

"McKay, get up!" he said, a little louder.

Rodney sat up immediately. "What?"

John rolled his eyes, "You were supposed to pretend to be asleep, not actually go to sleep."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John's team followed the teenagers at a safe distance, amazed at how slowly they were moving.

"What if they're not going to the Marlos?" one of the marines asked, an hour into their trek.

"What other leads do we have right now?" John threw back.

He was convinced the boys had no idea they were being followed. They were making stops along the way, collecting various items from the forest. All in all, it was getting very frustrating.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth Weir woke slowly, sitting up and rubbing the right side of her neck. Sleeping in caves, she decided, was not good for one's posture. She glanced at her watch. 0530. It was still dark outside, and only half the torches had remained lit during the night, essentially so the guards could keep a watch on the prisoners.

She looked around to see if anyone else was awake, and locked eyes with Ronon. He motioned for her to come and sit beside him, in the space between him and Lorne. She stepped over Grant and one of the Marellen prisoners carefully, lowering herself down beside Ronon.

"How's your foot?" he whispered.

"Okay. It's feeling better."

He nodded. "I want to try to get you out of here as soon as I can."

Elizabeth looked shocked. "Lorne said it's too risky for us to try to escape."

"Not all of us," Ronon said slowly, "you."

"Just me?"

"For now, yes."

Elizabeth shook her head. "No. No, Ronon, what do you think they'll do to the rest of you if I escape? What do you think they'll do to me if I'm recaptured? They won't bring me back to you, they'll...." she couldn't bring herself to say it.

Ronon considered her comment for a moment. "Then I'll go with you."

"No. Ronon we don't leave people behind. I won't leave them behind, especially not Mitchell. He saved my life .. if it wasn't for him...."

Ronon sighed frustratedly. "We wouldn't be leaving them behind. We'd be increasing our chances of getting them out by having people on the outside. You heard what Garron said last night. I want to get you as far away from him as possible."

Elizabeth leaned back against the cave wall beside him, "I don't know what to think. I want to wake up and find out that this has all been a nightmare."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John and his team stopped while the teenagers decided to take a swim in a stream along the way.

"I don't believe this," he muttered, "if these guys are the Marlos' brains trust, they're in big trouble."

He had no idea how far away the Marlos base was, but they'd been walking for about four hours now.

Rodney flopped down on the ground, glad of the opportunity to rest. "They had to stop eventually," he mumbled. "Personally, I wouldn't mind a swim either right now." He wiped his sweaty hands on his pants, and decided to lay back in the shade of their hiding spot.

"Don't get too comfortable," John snapped. "They could move at any time."

The sound of splashing and laughing came from the creek, as the teenagers cooled off.

"I think it is unlikely they will move any time soon," Teyla told him, lying back beside Rodney.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Marlos went about their day, securing their hiding spot and patrolling to make sure the Crassons were nowhere in sight. The prisoners were left essentially to their own devices until about midday, when the were given a collective shove, and told to get on their feet.

"We need someone to collect water," Garron snapped. "Move."

Lorne's team and the Marellens moved towards the mouth of the cave, still surrounded by guards.

"Not you," Garron grabbed Elizabeth's arm.

She shot Ronon a frantic look, and he stepped towards her.

Garron sneared at Ronon "Keep moving."

Ronon stood his ground until he saw one of the guards also stop Katz from leaving the cave.

"They will both stay here," the guard said, "Perron and I will stand guard."

Ronon nodded his understanding. While these guards were on duty, Elizabeth would be safe from Garron's advances.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The teenagers had finally started moving after swimming for close to an hour. John and his team had now been following them for a total of seven hours.

They'd followed the creek for much of that time, the teenagers along the shoreline, the team from Atlantis far enough away not to be seen. Not that John thought these kids would see them. They were far too unskilled.

The team stopped suddenly when one of the teenagers yelled out.

"Father!"

John squinted into the sun, trying to see who the boy was talking to. He spotted a large, dirty man waving at the boy from the other side of the stream. There was nobody else in sight.

The teenagers kept moving for another ten minutes, John's team cautiously following, until they rounded a corner and saw at least thirty people by the side of the creek.

One of them was very obviously Ronon.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I hate being stuck in here," Katz was starting to sound flustered.

"I know," Elizabeth sympathised, "but at least Garron's gone."

Katz nodded. "I was worried there for a moment...."

"You and me both..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John scanned the crowd in front of him frantically. He spotted Lorne just moments after seeing Ronon. Grant was there, McManus...

"Elizabeth's not there..." John was starting to worry.

"Katz also appears to be missing," Teyla noted.

"Where the hell...." he watched the team, along with some Marellen prisoners, collecting buckets of water, and slowly walking towards dense shrubs before disappearing.

They walked in and out multiple times, taking in full buckets and bringing them back out empty to collect more water.

John kept watching, hoping against hope that Elizabeth was inside, waiting to bring her bucket back out, but there was no sign of her.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth moved over for Evan Lorne to sit beside her. After spending an hour hauling water, the prisoners had been allowed to come back to the cave to rest.

"I noticed it's starting to look stormy out there again," he whispered to her. "nothing obvious, but the sky's a bit grey... like it was before the storm hit last time."

Elizabeth nodded, "I suppose at least we're somewhere that'll keep us dry," she told him.

"What I wouldn't give for a jumper to suddenly appear and get us the hell out of here," Katz murmured.

"Where?" Elizabeth asked. "The forest is too thick. If we're going to get out of here, it'll be on foot."

Katz looked down at his injured legs, "That'll be fun."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John watched the entrance to the cave, starting to feel very annoyed. Elizabeth and Katz had to be inside with the rest of the team. If not, he didn't know what to do.

It was dark now, and there had been no further movement from the cave. He wanted to know the lay of the land. He wanted to find out what was happening inside. He wanted to know if Elizabeth was safe.

A crack of lightning lit up the sky, and a rumble of thunder shook the ground as large, cold drops of rain started to fall.

"Great," he mumbled, "just great."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth stared towards the entrance of the cave, seeing a blinding light flashing through the bushes outside. She glanced to Ronon, "I think it's raining again," she told him.

He nodded as three of the guards walked to the entrance, disappeared for a moment and then returned, rushing off further into the cave complex.

The prisoners remained where they were, watched by about 14 others.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John and his team sheltered as well as possible in the undergrowth below the tree canopy. The situation could easily get very dangerous. The lightning was not as bad as it had been the other night, but it was striking random spots not far from them.

"We need to find better shelter," Teyla insisted. "we will not do them any good if we are killed by lightning or a falling tree."

As much as he agreed, John couldn't bring himself to leave the area. "You go," he told her, "take Rodney. See what you can find, and come back."

She nodded, disapproval clear on her face, and she and Rodney left to find shelter.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Teyla and Rodney moved away from the creek, heading further towards the rocky ground a few hundred metres from the Marlos' cave. They'd discovered a couple of hollows in the rock, but none large enough to shelter their entire group.

The rain wasn't pouring down, but it was steady, and Teyla knew they'd need to find somewhere sooner rather than later. A sudden fall of gravel from above made her stop. She pulled Rodney towards the rockface, and motioned for him to keep quiet.

The Athosian looked up cautiously, only to see more small rocks falling among the rain.

"Someone is up there," she whispered to Rodney.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth shifted uncomfortably next to Ronon.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"No..."

Ronon laughed. "I'll go and ask the guard if we can go out."

It had become a silent agreement between them. Elizabeth fidgeting next to him generally meant she needed to find the nearest bush. She felt like Sedge, as though she was being walked to answer the call of nature before being let back into the 'house' again.

Elizabeth watched as Ronon whispered to the nearest guard, turning to indicate her. Eventually he waved her over, and she smiled at him gratefully.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Teyla leaned cautiously out from the rockface, trying to see what was causing the gravel to fall from above. She could hear the soft crunch, crunch, crunch of footsteps. Her immediate concern was for John and the marines, afraid that they might be spotted by whoever this was.

She was almost more concerned that this could be the Crassons.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John watched, straining to see, as there was a slight rustling noise near the entrance to the Marlos' cave. There was a definite movement. Someone was obviously coming out.

He could vaguely make out five figures, one much larger than the others, one much smaller. He watched as the figures went their separate ways, three in one direction, two in the other.

The smaller of the five appeared to be struggling with the person who was with them, while the taller was also trying to break away from the two he or she was with.

John thought he heard a yell, but it was all but drowned out by a roll of thunder and a flash of lighting which lit up the area as though it was daylight.

It was then that he saw Ronon trying to break away from two men, and Elizabeth struggling to get away from the large, dirty man he'd seen at the stream earlier in the day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth tried to get back to Ronon, but he'd been dragged off in the opposite direction. She called out to him, desperately.

She didn't know how it had happened, but somehow Garron had made sure that Perron was called back into the cave. He'd taken the guard's place as her security detail.

By the time Ronon had noticed, it was too late. He had been taken about 50 metres in the opposite direction, and though he struggled, he had no way to get back to her.

Elizabeth could feel herself getting to the point of hyperventilating again. She tried to calm herself, but Garron's hand was clutching at her arm so tightly she knew she'd be bruised.

Eventually, he pushed her into a small clearing, throwing her onto the rocky ground. He sneared down at her "I said you would get what was coming to you," he said leaning over her.

Elizabeth closed her eyes, willing herself to wake up and have all of this turn out to be a nightmare. She stumbled as he dragged her off the ground again, and pushed her up against a tree.

"You will regret playing hard to get," he told her, running a dirty hand down her cheek.

Elizabeth bit down hard on her lower lip, tensing her body as she felt tears beginning to well up.

Then suddenly, just as quickly as he had attacked her, Garron stopped. She could feel him breathing heavily against her neck, in an almost panicked way.

A familiar voice whispered furiously "You touch her again, and so help me, I'll kill you."
Aftershocks by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
Have to say, thanks to everyone who's said they like Katz.. I wanted someone other than Ronon or Lorne to be the one Elizabeth relied on... just for something unexpected
Elizabeth opened her eyes immediately.

The first thing in her line of vision was the shocked face of Garron. Then, over his shoulder, the angry face of John Sheppard.

She was speechless.

Before she knew it, John was quietly issuing orders. The marines dragged Garron off and into the nearby undergrowth.

Then there was just John. Standing in front of her.

"Are you real?" she whispered, not trusting her eyes. She'd dreamed of him turning up so many times the past few days.

"I'm real, Lizzy," John reached out to her, "we're going to take you home."

Elizabeth all but fell against him, closing her eyes again and wrapping her arms around his waist, squeezing him tight. John held onto her as though he thought she might disappear again, whispering that everything was going to be fine, that they'd be home before she knew it.

Finally, standing with John in the light rain, the tears that had been threatening to fall for days started to flow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Teyla and Rodney remained still, listening to the slow march of footsteps above.

"We need to warn the Colonel," Teyla whispered in Rodney's ear. "do you think you can follow my lead back... stay out of the light?"

"Oh sure, I'm great at predicting where lightning's going to strike," Rodney moaned sarcastically.

Teyla shot him a warning look, "Just follow me. Stay low."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon had overpowered one of his guards, and was working on knocking out the other. He made short work of both, and scanned the darkness, hoping to see or hear Elizabeth, to know where she might be.

There was nothing but silence, and the steady beat of rain falling on the rocky ground.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Elizabeth..." Rodney whispered, stunned, as he entered the small clearing his friends were hiding in, seeing Elizabeth and John holding onto each other as though their lives depended on it.

He looked from John to Teyla and back again. "Is she okay?" he asked.

John nodded, "She's going to be fine, right 'Lizabeth?"

Elizabeth finally pulled back from him, nodding as he tangled a curl of her hair around his finger.

"Colonel," Teyla interupted, "I need to speak to you."

John turned back to Elizabeth, "I need you to stay here with Rodney while I talk to Teyla.."

"No," Elizabeth answered firmly. "Whatever's going on, I want to know."

John nodded, "Okay. Let's sit for a second."

They sheltered under the nearest large tree to discuss their next course of action.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon placed himself strategically near the entrance to the cave, just out of sight. It wouldn't be long before someone came out looking for him and his guards. They'd been gone for a good ten minutes now, and the other guards would be getting suspicious.

He was hoping that Elizabeth was back inside the cave with Lorne and Katz, and not somewhere in the forest with Garron. He'd heard no sound from her. He knew that if she was with Garron she'd be fighting him.

But all he heard was the rain, the thunder, the lightning.

He settled in to watch for movement around the cave.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I believe it may be the Crassons," Teyla told John.

He stared at her, stunned. "You think they're here too?"

She nodded. "There were people above the caves. They were moving quietly, but I was still able to hear them over the rain."

John nodded. "So this just gets more and more complicated. If they're about to attack..."

"We may be able to use it as a diversion," Teyla insisted. "get our people out. It may just be a case of waiting for them to make their move."

Elizabeth had sat back, listening to the conversation. "When they find out I'm gone... I can't imagine what they'll do to the other prisoners," she said softly.

John put his arm around her shoulder, "They'll be okay," he promised.

"You don't know that," Elizabeth whispered. "I need to go back in there... I need..."

"No! That's not an option."

"But John...." Elizabeth was caught up in the idea of what the Marlos would do to her fellow captives.

"No, Elizabeth. We can't put you back in there only to wonder if we'll be able to get you back out again."

She sighed, defeated, part of her knowing he was right. They would need to wait and see who made what move next.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Katz leaned over to Lorne, "They've been gone more than 20 minutes," he whispered.

Lorne nodded.

"What the hell is going on?"

"Your guess is as good as mine... I'm surprised nobody's gone out looking for them yet," Lorne replied.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon watched as two shadowed figures moved around above the cave entrance. They hesitated for a moment, before heading back out of sight.

He moved, curious, deciding to follow the shadows, to see who they were, what they were doing.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"'Lizabeth, we need to know what the situation is in there... how many of them there are, how many of us..."

"The whole team's in there," she confirmed, "as well as several Marellen prisoners. Apart from that, there are maybe 200 Marlos people."

"200?" John looked flustered. He'd been trying to get into contact with his secondary team for the past day, but there was something in the atmosphere of this planet that interfered with their communications devices. Now it looked like they'd have to go it alone against 200 rebels.

"Everyone's fine except for Sergeant Katz," Elizabeth said quietly, "he and I were injured in a rock fall."

"Are you okay?" John asked, concerned.

She smiled, "I'm fine. Just a bruised ankle. Mitchell has some bad cuts to both his legs. He needed a lot of help to make the walk here from the other caves."

"And there we have our added degree of difficulty," Rodney muttered.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon followed the two shadowy figures in the light rain for about half an hour, before they stopped. They started unpacking something from their makeshift backpacks, and went to work.

These were definitely not Marlos people. He could tell that from the clothing he made out when the lightning struck, bringing almost daylight across the horizon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Katz was feeling frustrated. He'd seen Garron follow Elizabeth out of the cave, and there'd been no sign of her for almost an hour now. Two guards had left to go in search of her, Ronon and the guards who'd been sent to accompany them.

"If he's hurt her, I'll..."

"Take a number," Lorne said. "In fact, I'll hold him down, you can..."

Lorne stopped instantly at the sound of a large explosion. The prisoners looked to each other, confused, while the Marlos guards looked panicked.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon watched as a huge explosion caved in what he assumed was the back entrance to the Marlos' cave complex. Things were starting to get interesting.

He ran as fast as he could back to the other entry to the caves, seeing people running out into the rain and darkness. They were being shot down by random arrows, fired, he assumed, by the Crassons, who were perched above the caves.

A crack of lightning lit up the sky, and Ronon saw Grant and Lorne, trying to help Katz out of the cave, sheltering behind a large rock just near the entrance.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth watched in horror as people fell around the entrance to the caves. She could hear screaming every now and then, between rumbles of thunder.

The explosion had been far from here, but the violence was right in front of her.

Lightning brought daylight to the area, and Elizabeth saw Katz, Lorne and Grant. She held her breath, hoping desperately for them to make the treeline before the violence intensified.

It was then she saw an arrow fly right past Lorne and lodge itself in Katz's shoulder.

"No.." she yelled out into the darkness and mayhem, moving to run to Katz. John grabbed her around the waist, hauling her back a few feet.

"No, Elizabeth, no."

"We have to help him," Elizabeth cried, "we have to help him..."
Waiting by lostgrace
It was an hour before all the Atlantis personnel and Marellen prisoners had been brought to the safety of the treeline, while the battle in front of them raged on.

John surveyed the scene as the rain continued to fall. Most had been lucky to escape injury. It truly felt like a miracle. Two of the Marellens had cuts from close calls with arrows, but only Mitchell Katz had been seriously injured.

John looked to where he lay on the ground, being tended to by Teyla and one of the Marellen prisoners, who had some medical training.

Elizabeth was beside the Sergeant, clutching his right hand tightly in both of hers as the others worked to remove the arrow from his left shoulder.

She was whispering to him, trying to reassure him, and John didn't think he'd ever seen her so distraught in all the time he'd known her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"This rain isn't going to stop," Ronon broke into John's thoughts. "we need to find shelter."

John nodded, "Rodney and Teyla found some caves, but none big enough for all of us. They'll take maybe five people... I'd rather have everyone together."

"I'll work on it," Ronon promised, "Lorne, Grant and I can go and see what's out there."

"Go," John said, "you have half an hour. I need you back here in half an hour."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A twenty mintue walk away, Lorne, Grant and Ronon found a rocky outcrop that wasn't quite a cave, but would offer shelter, and was large enough to house everyone. It had the added bonus of having soft sand to sit on instead of the sharp rocks they'd become used to.

"I think this'll do us for now," Lorne said, "it'll shelter us from the rain, if it starts to come down like it did the other day. Grant, stay here, Ronon and I will get the others."

Grant nodded, and started clearing debris, washed down from the latest storm, from the front of their new shelter.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John moved apprehensively to Elizabeth, sitting down beside her, "Lizzy, come with me, let them work on him," he said softly.

"No... I need to be here," she insisted, still hanging onto Katz's hand tightly.

"You need to give them some space."

"No, John," Elizabeth was determined to stay where she was. She watched as the Marellen man removed the arrow from Katz's shoulder, and Teyla instantly clamped a makeshift bandage over the wound, trying to stem the flow of blood.

John didn't feel good about Katz's future, and he hated to think how Elizabeth would handle losing him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I don't know if it's far enough away to be safe, but it's the best we could find," Lorne told John, "it'll be good shelter, since the rain's starting to come down harder now."

"Right," John turned to look over at Katz, and those caring for him, "we're going to have to be careful moving him...."

"Ronon and I can manage it," Lorne insisted.

John nodded, "Okay, lets get to it."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth hovered around Katz, Lorne and Ronon as they moved their new hiding spot, making sure they were moving him in a way that wouldn't hurt his injured legs or shoulder.

When they were finally met by Grant outside their almost-cave, it was pouring with rain, and thunder was rumbling across the horizon. Elizabeth immediately headed to the most sheltered part of their hideout and motioned for Ronon and Lorne to bring Katz over.

She made sure the sand was clear of anything that could make him uncomfortable, and helped them lay him down.

"Elizabeth?"

She grabbed onto his right hand again, "I'm right here."

"I'm so dizzy..."

"I know, you need to rest... just close your eyes, I'll stay right here."

Katz closed his eyes, as Elizabeth settled in to keep watch.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Despite the rain, thunder and lightning, most of the group slept while Lorne, Ronon, and John took shifts, standing guard. It was three in the morning by the time John had a chance to sleep.

He moved over to Elizabeth. She was sitting beside Katz, her eyes still on him, concern etched on her face.

"'Lizabeth?" he whispered.

She turned, startled.

"You need to sleep."

She nodded, "I just want to be here when he wakes up..."

"I know.." John leaned up against the rock wall behind him, motioning to Elizabeth to join him. "We'll stay here... you'll be close by if he wakes up."

"When he wakes up," she insisted, settling herself against him and closing her eyes.

"When he wakes up," John repeated, wrapping his arms around her and planting a kiss on the top of her head.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the time morning broke, the rain had left large streams of water pouring down the hillside around the cave, flooding much of the valley below.

Elizabeth woke to the sound of running water and the familiar feel of John Sheppard's arm draped over her waist. She looked immediately to Katz, watching for the rise and fall of his chest as he breathed. She was relieved to see him resting peacefully.

Elizabeth turned. In the night, John had laid them down on the sand to sleep more comfortably. Now she faced him, seeing the telltale signs that he was close to waking. She traced his lips with the fingers of her left hand.

John opened his eyes, slowly.

"Do I get to call you sleeping beauty now?" Elizabeth asked softly, hoping not to wake those around them.

John smiled at her, leaning in to kiss her quickly. "You have no idea how relieved I was to see you yesterday," he whispered.

"I think I can imagine," she replied. "so where do we go from here?"

"We're looking at almost three days to get to the gate," he told her. "that's without the added problem of Katz being injured."

"We're not leaving him here," Elizabeth insisted.

"Lizzy, I never said we were leaving him. It's just going to take longer, that's all... and he's lost a lot of blood..."

"I know."

"I can't get onto our other team..."

Elizabeth nodded. "We're just going to have to do the best we can." she looked over John's shoulder, to the rain pouring down outside. "when the rain stops, that is."

"Yup," John rolled onto his back, pulling Elizabeth down to rest against him, "when the rain stops."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon stared out into the rain. It had been coming down for three days straight now. There was no way they could safely leave their shelter, especially with the added concern of keeping Katz safe. One slip while trying to carry him could be fatal.

They'd started rationing their supplies. John had argued that they should save the majority for the trip back down the mountain, which would be when they'd need more energy.

The fighting around them had finished on the first day. The Crassons had overrun the Marlos, and taken over their caves. Most of the Marlos, it seemed, had died in the fight against the better trained, better equipped Crassons.

"I believe the rain will stop soon" Teyla whispered.

Ronon looked down at her, amused. "You said that yesterday." he reminded her.

He turned to look around the inside of their makeshift home. Most of the marines were trying to teach the Marellen prisoners card games. Lorne was bickering with McKay, Elizabeth was sitting beside Katz.

John Sheppard was standing to one side, watching Elizabeth, his concern obvious. Ronon knew she'd become attached to Katz. He'd seen their friendship develop.

John walked slowly to Elizabeth, reaching down to run a hand over her head. She turned, smiled at him, and turned her attention back to Katz. He looked a little lost for a second, before locking eyes with Ronon, and walking over to where he and Teyla sat.

"We need to get out of here..." he told them.

They sat silent, nothing to say. Each of them knew their situation. For all the fighting that went on when the Crassons arrived, they knew their trip back to the gate would be just as dangerous, but for other reasons.

"I'm worried about her, about her attachment to Katz," John admitted.

"They've relied on each other a lot," Ronon told him.

"She said he saved her life... what happened?"

Ronon took a deep breath, not wanting to go into their first moments with the Marlos. "Well, the Marlos have a specific use for women...."

John cringed at the thought, knowing immediately what Ronon was referring to.

"Katz told them that she was his wife.. showed them the rings on their fingers... they left her alone after that. Except for Garron."

"I guess I have something to thank Katz for," John said quietly, glancing over at Elizabeth.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke with a start. She opened her eyes, listening in the darkness to see what had brought her out of her sleep.

A moan from Mitchell Katz alerted her to the fact that he was once again in pain. Their supply of medication was running low. They'd been giving him painkillers every six hours since he was injured.

He called out to her, softly.

Elizabeth carefully disentangled herself from John, fumbling in the darkness to find Katz.

"Mitchell, I'm right here..." she whispered, reaching out to touch a hand to his forehead. He'd been hot and feverish for the past day.

"I'm not getting out of here..." he muttered.

"Yes you are," Elizabeth insisted.

"No.... lost too much blood..."

"Mitch, we're going to get you home," Elizabeth promised, grabbing onto his right hand.

"In my pocket...."

"What, what's in your pocket?" Elizabeth questioned.

Katz took a deep breath, "My... letter. My letter to Mel... I want you to make sure she gets it..."

"No... you're going to give it to her yourself, Mitch, I promise. You're going to give it to her yourself.."

John watched silently as the rain continued to fall.
Treks by lostgrace
Elizabeth stood at the edge of their cave, just out of reach of the pouring rain, staring pensively into the forest.

She was dragged from her thoughts by a nudge at her left shoulder, and looked up to see John smiling cautiously down at her.

"You okay?" he asked.

She thought for a moment. "No," she answered honestly, folding her arms across her chest. "He thinks he's going to die. He's planning to die."

"I know.."

"If you knew what he did for me...."

"I know," John interupted. "Ronon told me."

Elizabeth turned to face him, "I just want to wake up and have all of this turn out to be a nightmare..."

"It hasn't been my greatest week either."

"This has made me realise I'm stronger than I thought I was," Elizabeth told him. "but if it wasn't for Mitch... if things had turned out differently..."

John reached out, unfolding her arms, and holding onto her hands. "We're going to get out of here. Katz is going to get out of here. He has to make it. I need to buy the guy a beer for keeping you safe."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was a day later that the rain suddenly stopped and the blazing sun came out, drying the land to the point where what had been mud puddles was now cracked, dry earth.

John had decided to move within hours of the conditions improving, worried that the rain would return. For now, though, there was not a cloud in the sky. The heat was stifling. He knew it might be better to move in the cooler conditions of the night, but that would add more difficulty to their trek in this unknown environment.

For now, he decided, they would move under the cover of the tree canopy and hope for the best.

Ronon and Grant had constructed a makeshift stretcher to carry Katz, and Teyla stayed close by to make sure he was in a comfortable condition, checking his bandages every few hours.

Elizabeth watched Katz nervously, jumping every time she heard someone slip, fearing that it might be whichever of the two team members were carrying him at that time.

John had been worried about Elizabeth's ankle, but it seemed to be holding up well. He'd checked it that morning before they left their hideout, feeling to make sure it was just bruised, and gently replacing her shoe and sock.

He was impressed with her ability to get through the rough terain. He should have known from their hike in Colorado Springs that Elizabeth moved like a mountain goat. The only time she looked jittery was when she'd slip on a patch of mud that the sun hadn't quite dried under the shade of the trees. Each time, she righted herself quickly, offering him a smile of reassurance.

John reached out a hand, resting it on Elizabeth's shoulder.

"How's the foot?"

She smiled, "Good, it's good." she looked back to Katz and the two Marellens who were in charge of carrying him for the next hour, "how much longer are we walking today?"

"About another two hours," John told her. "If we were at full strength, we could go another four, but I don't want to push things. In about an hour, I'll send Ronon and Teyla off to scout around for a clearing where we can set up camp for the night."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A bit under two hours later, Grant and Lorne were working on a fire, while the rest of the team set up a camp of sorts.

John had initially been reluctant to light a fire, worried about drawing attention to his group, but the nights were a stark contrast to the days on this planet, and as hot as it had been during the day, it would be freezing at night.

He told himself that three shifts of three people per watch would keep everyone safe, as he sorted out their food rations for the night.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rodney McKay let out a dramatic sigh. "Those people with the stone huts had better have a good meal laid out when we get there."

Teyla laughed, "How very unlike you, Rodney, to be thinking of your stomach."

He scowled at her, chomping down on the powerbar he'd been given as his evening meal. "You'd think the military types would be able to catch us something to eat," he muttered, "but no, they're behaving like a bunch of cut lunch commados."

Teyla gave him a confused, took.

"Never mind," he muttered, "it'd only get lost in the translation..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth used the water she and Lorne had collected from the stream to cool Katz down. The sergeant was still burning up. He was also weak from the blood loss.

She mopped his brow with a piece of cloth she'd managed to salvage from one of the Marellen's ruined jackets. It wasn't the softest of fabrics, but it was the best she could do in the circumstances.

"Elizabeth...."

"I'm here.." she replied.

"Thirsty...."

Elizabeth turned, "John? Can you get some water for him?"

John immediately came back with a supply of water, before heading back to tend the fire. Elizabeth raised Katz's head slightly, to make it easier for him to drink.

Once he'd had enough, she laid him back down on his makeshift stretcher, removing her jacket and folding it so he had a pillow.

Within moments, he was asleep.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth walked as quietly as she could to John's spot by the fire, sitting down beside him, and huddling as close as possible.

"You should be sleeping."

"So should you," she replied.

"Not for another hour. Lorne and Grant take over in an hour."

Elizabeth nodded, grabbing his arm, draping it around her shoulder and hanging onto his hand.

"So why aren't you sleeping?"

"Can't," she admitted, "it's too cold..."

John tightened his arm around her, "Where's your jacket?" he asked.

"Mitch is using it for a pillow," she said softly.

"Lizzy," John was getting frustrated, "you freezing to death isn't going to help him.."

"I won't freeze to death," she promised, "I have you and the fire to keep me warm."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronon was first up the next morning, giving Lorne a hefty slap on the back as he passed by their designated guard for the final shift of the night.

Lorne spluttered a bit, almost choking on the water he'd been drinking, and shooting a 'not very impressed' look back.

Ronon just grinned. "Good to see you're so alert," he teased.

Lorne rolled his eyes, and stood, moving towards the fire. Rodney had staked out one side of the fire, possibly getting a little too close. His face was bright red from the heat of the flames.

Elizabeth and John were curled up together on the other side, with various Marellens scattered around them.

Evan Lorne took in the scene around him. When he and his team left for their negotiation with the Marellens, he would never have dreamed it would end like this.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

'Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot....' Elizabeth repeated it over and over in her head. She was starting to get bored. They'd been walking for much of the day, with no sign of stopping. She needed to stop. She knew that Grant and Rodney had to need a rest, after carrying Katz for more than an hour.

She approached John, touching his shoulder lightly.

"Hmm?"

"Can we stop for a minute? Get some more water?"

John stopped, looking around at the exhausted team around him. "Sure, half an hour."

Elizabeth flopped onto the ground right then and there.

"You don't want to look for somewhere more comfortable?" John teased.

"No. This will do just fine," she replied, as Rodney and Grant laid Katz down nearby. "it's right near the stream. Easy to stock up on our water."

John reached out a hand, and she passed him her water bottle with a smile.

John looked around at the team, "Anyone else need a refill?"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In another two hours, they set up camp for another night, once again close to the stream.

John had been keeping an eye on the sky, which was blue and cloudless, and home to a powerful sun which he was sure would leave them all with a bad case of sunburn. He could just imagine Rodney McKay itching and scratching and complaining for weeks after this.

They were camping on a plateau of sorts. There was a steep drop at one end of their sleeping area, heading down into something of a ravine, while the other tapered down to the water.

John reached out a hand to Elizabeth, "Let's go get some firewood.. " he suggested. "I think we could use a little space."

She nodded. The past week, living around so many people 24/7 had been wearing.

John called out to Lorne that they were collecting some kindling, the Major mumbling "Sure you are," under his breath.

John shot him a warning glare, as he and Elizabeth left the clearing, walking towards the edge of the ravine.

"Let's just sit for a while," he suggested, parking himself on the ground and pulling Elizabeth down beside him.

She linked her arm through his and rested her head against his shoulder "You know, if I hadn't been held prisoner, and we weren't stuck in the middle of nowhere, this might be kind of romantic right now..."

John laughed. "It might just be...the stars are pretty amazing."

"I can't wait to get home. I need a long, hot bath, I need your t-shirt, and I need to sleep for about a week."

John smiled at that, "I think we could probably arrange that."

"If Colonel Carter doesn't send me straight back..."

"There'll be none of that," John insisted, "I'll lock you in my room. Or fly you off and hide you with the Athosians..."

"They Athosians, hey? Not a bad idea," Elizabeth said with a smirk.

John stood. "Come on, we need to collect some wood."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. They'll be wondering where we are. And I have your reputation to worry about, Dr Weir."

"Why thank you for your consideration, Colonel Sheppard," Elizabeth stood, giving him a quick kiss and turning to start collecting some kindling.

Seconds later, she heard a thumping sound, sudden and furious. She turned, and by the moonlight, she saw John disappearing from view as the earth beneath him gave way.

She called out to him, getting no answer. She moved as close as she could to the area where she'd last seen him, but it was impossible to find John in the darkness.

Elizabeth took a deep breath, and started yelling for Ronon.
Firelight by lostgrace
Ronon ran as fast as he could, about 50 metres towards the sound of Elizabeth's frantic screaming. She was panicked, and it was making him feel panicked.

When he reached her, she looked distraught.

"What happened? Where's Sheppard?" he asked as Lorne, Grant, Rodney, Teyla and three of the Marellens caught up with him.

She pointed to the edge of the ravine, her hand shaking.

Rodney stepped forward, gently taking Elizabeth's arm, "Come away from the edge," he said softly, as Ronon and Lorne carefully made their way to the spot John had disappeared from.

"I couldn't see him down there," Elizabeth said tearfully, "he didn't answer me when I called him."

Rodney put an arm around her shoulder, wanting to tell her it'd be okay, but who knew if it would be? He settled for pulling her into a hug, as they watched Lorne and Ronon issuing orders to the others to get various pieces of equipment from their camp.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Elizabeth, sit down," Rodney demanded. "we don't need you going over the edge too."

He dragged her back from the edge of the ravine for the third time. They had still heard nothing from John Sheppard, after more than half an hour.

Rodney had found himself having to be the voice of reason for Elizabeth, something he wasn't used to experiencing. He'd told her they couldn't get to John immediately. It was too dark, too dangerous.

Two of the Marellens had advised waiting for morning, saying that even with light, it would be a risky operation to get John in the middle of the night.

Lorne had decided that everyone but he, Ronon and one of the Marellens, Provis, should go back to the camp, where Grant would be in charge.

Elizabeth refused to go.

Rodney had tried to argue that it was too cold for her to sit on the edge of a ravine in the middle of the night. Her argument was that if it was too cold for her, it was certainly too cold for John, wherever he was, and that they should make more effort to get to him.

Lorne had settled for allowing her to stay with Rodney to keep her company. Provis had lit a fire to keep them all warm.

Two hours after John had tumbled from her view, she heard his voice, softly calling to her.

Elizabeth shot a startled look at Lorne, "Did you hear that?" she asked, not quite trusting her ears.

He nodded, and moved a little closer to the spot Elizabeth had last seen John, shining a light down. "I still can't spot him."

"Elizabeth! You up there?"

She broke into a grin, "I'm here, we're here, Major Lorne is trying to see where you are..."

"Yeah, I see the light," John told her.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine, got a lump on my head, but hey, it's hard, I'll survive."

Lorne and Provis were now lying on their stomachs, looking over the edge, trying to see where John was. They eventually spotted one hand, which he was waving from behind a pile of mud and branches. He'd fallen about 20 metres before becoming tangled up in a tree.

"Hey, we see you!" Lorne called out.

"Great, throw me something down so I can get the hell out of here!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was another half an hour before Lorne, Provis and Ronon hauled John back up over the edge.

Elizabeth was at his side in seconds, checking him for injuries, wiping dirt from his face, and pulling leaves from his hair.

She felt the lump on his head carefully, apologising when he jumped. Even in the half light of the fire, she could see it was badly bruised.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she whispered to him.

John smiled, putting his arms around her "Lizzy, I'm fine," he whispered back.

"We called you," she told him, "we heard nothing for two hours."

"I don't know what to say... I bumped my head on the way down..."

Elizabeth brushed a lock of hair off his forehead, again looking at the lump.

John smirked at her, "You could always kiss it better," he said so softly that only she could hear.

"Not while..."

"So we should get back to camp if you're fine to move, Colonel" Lorne interupted.

John stood, reaching out a hand to help Elizabeth up. "Probably a good idea," he admitted.

Provis and Grant doused the fire while the others made their way back to camp.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke to a sudden breeze, sitting up, confused. She looked around by the light of the fire, and knew immediately what had woken her. John had moved from where he slept with her, and was now sitting by the fire.

She rose, bringing the light blanket with her, and moved to sit beside him.

"What's wrong?" she whispered, trying not to wake anyone else.

"Nothing," he pointed to his head, "just don't think it's good to sleep after I was knocked out for a couple of hours. You know, a bump is a bump, but... just in case."

Elizabeth nodded. "Good idea... "

"Go back to sleep," he told her.

"Come with me."

John shook his head. "If I lie down with you again, I'm going to fall asleep. That's why I had to get up."

"Then I'll stay here," she told him, settling herself down next to him

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was another two days before the group made it back down the mountain to the small village below. Damon ran out of his family's cottage to meet him, Chan and Phillips close behind him.

"You took a long time!" he told John.

"We certainly did," John admitted.

Milan was at Damon's side soon after, insisting they come inside.

"Please let there be real food..." Rodney mumbled, as he made way for Ronon and Lorne to carry Katz inside.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth watched as several people hovered around Katz, checking his injuries, dressing his wounds and mixing some sort of potion for him to drink that would ease his fever.

She couldn't wait to get back to Atlantis. They were making sure he was comfortable, and his bandages were clean before they headed to the jumper and made their way home.

Lorne had promised to send people through to help the community rebuild, in return for medical information. The Marellen prisoners, having heard of the fate of their own village had decided to stay here, to help revitalise the village.

John watched as they made their plans. At least, he decided, something good had come out of this.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was late in the day when the team arrived back in Atlantis.

Keller was waiting, Melanie Katz standing beside her, desperate to see Mitchell.

Elizabeth had stayed by his side in the jumper during the trip, making sure he was comfortable, and checking and rechecking the newly applied bandages.

She gladly moved aside when Keller and Melanie approached, ready to see him to the infirmary.

She watched as he was taken away.

Elizabeth turned back to John, seeing he and Lorne talking to Sam Carter. They were to clean up, get some food into them, and meet her in her office in two hours.

Elizabeth turned to leave with the others, after Sam issued her orders.

"Dr Weir, can I speak to you for a moment?"

Elizabeth felt her stomach doing somersaults, as she turned to face the Colonel. "Of course." She looked to John who was waiting for her.

"I'm glad you're okay," Sam began. "We need you to head back to the SGC tomorrow, provided Dr Keller gives you the all-clear medically."

Elizabeth nodded, shooting a sad smile at John. "I'll be ready," she promised.

She left with John, as Sam started bickering with Rodney about something. She didn't know what. She didn't care what.

All she knew was that she and John were back to square one.
Healing by lostgrace
Samantha Carter was fuming by the time she reached her office. Rodney McKay had followed her from the jumper bay, moaning about everything under the sun.

Finally after entering her office, followed closely by Rodney, she decided to confront him.

"If you have something to say, say it."

Rodney stopped, stunned.

"Well?"

"You're sending her back tomorrow?" he asked.

Sam rolled her eyes, "For crying out loud, McKay."

"What? You think that's reasonable? You have no idea what we went through out there. Especially Elizabeth."

Sam sat at her desk. "You assume this is all down to me. She was supposed to leave for the SGC four days ago. They've asked to get her back ASAP."

Rodney stood, eyeing Sam angrily. "Good luck getting her to leave before we get a decent idea of Katz's condition..."

"It's the job, McKay. She knows that."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth reached out and took a fry off John's plate. She'd been quiet since the news that she was leaving the next day, her mind occupied with Katz.

"Can you come to the infirmary with me?" she asked John.

He smiled, "Sure... "

"I just want to see how he is, you know... make sure he's alright."

John nodded.

"It's a fine line, though. I don't want to get in his wife's way.. "

John reached out and grabbed her hand. "You won't be in the way. We'll stay for ten minutes, see how he is, and leave her to it."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth stood a respectful distance as she watched Melanie Katz at her husband's bedside. She was torn between wanting to check on him herself, and not wanting to get in her way.

John, noticing her indecision, put a hand on her back, gently pushing her forward, "Come on, 'Lizabeth, it's fine..."

She smiled at him, took a deep breath, and walked over to the bed, checking to make sure John was right behind her. She stood for a few moments before Melanie Katz turned, noticing her presence.

"Dr Weir..." Melanie stood to welcome her.

"Elizabeth" she insisted. ".... how is he?"

"He's sleeping," Melanie told her, "he's lost a lot of blood, but Keller says he'll be just fine in time."

"I'm relieved to hear that," Elizabeth looked at the sleeping Sergeant.

"Come and sit down," Melanie urged her.

Elizabeth looked a little flustered for a moment, turning to John "Oh no, we didn't want to intrude.. I just wanted to see for myself that he's okay" she insisted.

"Just for a while?"

"We have half an hour before we need to meet Carter," John interupted.

Melanie looked hopeful.

Elizabeth smiled, "We'll stay."

She moved to the opposite bedside, and sat beside Katz, watching his chest rise and fall as he slept.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John whispered in Elizabeth's ear as he made his way out of the conference room. She smiled, nodded and turned to Rodney.

"Come and keep me company on the balcony."

"Aren't you going...."

Elizabeth shook her head. "He's coming back to get me.. has some surprise planned, apparently."

Rodney and Elizabeth made their way to the nearest balcony, taking in the sea breeze.

"It's so beautiful here... I miss it so much in my windowless office at the SGC."

"I can imagine," Rodney replied. "So... going back tomorrow, hey?"

"Yeah."

"You okay with that?" he asked.

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow "What choice do I have?"

"Good point."

"I'm waiting for a happily ever after," Elizabeth laughed, "I don't need a picket fence or anything, just some sort of hope that things will work out."

"I don't know what to say... "

Elizabeth linked her arm through his, "It's okay Rodney. Sometimes there's nothing you can say.... It's just hard. Leaving when I dont know for sure how Mitchell's going to be... and God... leaving John again..."

"I know."

"It's so hard, Rodney...."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard surveyed his quarters. He'd improvised. Flowers were lacking on Atlantis right now, so he'd borrowed candles from Teyla, and run a bubble bath to help Elizabeth relax.

He could tell she'd been feeling tense. The pressure of worrying about Katz since he was injured, and the quick return back to the SGC were playing on her mind. He knew her well enough that she didn't need to say anything.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"'Lizabeth.."

Rodney and Elizabeth turned immediately, to see John standing in the doorway to the balcony.

"Come with me?"

She nodded, then turned to Rodney "I'll see you before I go tomorrow, right? I'm leaving at 10."

"I'll be there to see you off." he promised, "I might even put in for some leave... come and visit you.. make sure my neighbour's actually looking after my cat properly..."

"That'd be great," Elizabeth replied. She squeezed his arm and walked to join John.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth sighed contentedly. John's surprise bubble bath had left her feeling tired and relaxed. She let out a yawn, as she slipped on one of John's sweatshirts.

"I'm so tired..." she murmured, making her way to the bed.

She crawled in beside him when John lifted the covers, immediately curling into his side. "I don't want to go tomorrow."

"I know," John wrapped his arms around her.

"I wish we could just run away and live with the Athosians..."

"There's an idea.. I'll just comandeer a jumper, fly us away from here..."

Elizabeth let out a soft sigh, "If only it was that simple."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was ready ten minutes before her scheduled departure time, standing with John, waiting to be seen off by Rodney, Teyla, Ronon, Zelenka, Melanie Katz and Sam Carter.

"You promise you'll let me know how he is?"

Melanie nodded, "I promise. He's doing so much better this morning. He was awake long enough to give me a letter he wrote me.."

Elizabeth smiled. "He told me to give it to you. I told him he'd have plenty of time to give it to you himself."

"Thank you. For giving him hope.."

It seemed like no time at all before Elizabeth had said her goodbyes to everyone, and there was only John left. She stepped towards him, leaning into him and puttting her arms around him.

"Love you," she whispered in his ear.

"Love you, too," he whispered back as he held onto her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sam Carter watched as John wandered back to his quarters, turning an envelope over in his hands, with a lost look on his face.

"Any idea when she'll be coming back?" Rodney asked, invading her thoughts.

"Nope"

"Well that's just great, I'm going to have to put up with him moping around like a great big pain in the..."

"McKay, they know the score here. Her going back goes with the territory."

"You know what the problem is here?" Rodney said frustratedly "Sheppard's one thing, but Elizabeth.... she's not military. You and O'Neill can't just pat her on the head and expect her to go along like a good little soldier."

Sam stared after him, shocked as he stormed off after Sheppard.
Existing by lostgrace
John paced in front of Sam Carter's office, as he had for the past five minutes.

He was shaken from his thoughts by a loud thump as she slammed some files down on her desk.

John looked up.

"Are you going to come in here, or are you going to pace a hole in the floor?"

John walked slowly to the threshold of her office, hesitating.

"John. I'm serious."

He entered slowly, sitting at Carter's desk. He took in the photos, SG1, a teenage girl. Elizabeth's photo of Sedge had been long gone, as had any other sign that she'd ever occupied this space.

"I need to talk to you off the record," John said slowly.

Sam raised an eyebrow. "Off the record?"

He nodded.

"Okay," she said apprehensively, wondering what she was in for. "Shoot"

John had rehersed this a thousand times in his head in the five days Elizabeth had been gone, but saying it was a lot harder.

"John."

He took out a deep breath. "Okay. Off the record?"

Sam nodded.

"What are my chances of a transfer back to the SGC?"

Sam was stunned, "You can't be serious."

"I am." John insisted. "I'm very serious."

Sam stood, and started pacing, just as she'd criticised John for doing just moments before.

"Sam?"

"You know we need you here, John."

He shook his head, "No, you don't. You have Lorne. Hell, he should have been promoted by now. He's perfectly capable of running the military side of things..."

"You have the best ability to..."

John was feeling frustrated, "Sam, there are plenty of people here with the gene now. You don't need me."

"John..."

"Sam, I don't want to do this anymore. I want to be able to see Elizabeth every day, if I choose to, instead of hoping you'll let her come here, or let me have leave. I'm not living here. I'm just existing..."

Sam took a deep breath, "John, I know how you feel.."

"Which is why I don't understand why you won't just let me go.."

Sam returned to her seat, sitting down. "John, you don't know what the future holds. None of us does. Things could change here at any moment..."

"Which means?"

"Exactly what I said. Anything could happen."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I miss him so much," Elizabeth admitted as her brother handed her a glass of wine and sat beside her on his balcony.

"I know.."

"I always thought it was a joke what they said about love hurting... but this, being so far away...."

Matthew Weir let out a soft laugh, "Well you never did deal with separation very well."

Elizabeth turned to him, raising an eyebrow.

"Come on, kiddo. Remember when I was accepted to Yale? You didn't speak to me for three weeks."

"Oh, that... "

"Yeah, that," he said with a grin. "Every time I turned around there was this tiny ten year old, trying to look fierce, and so full of righteous indignation."

"What can I say? I get attached to people.." she smiled at him.

"I remember when you all dropped me off. It was hard trying to be excited about college when I had this little girl, all pigtails and freckles with tears streaming down her face begging me to come home."

"I slept in your room for a week after that."

"I know, mom told me."

Elizabeth sighed, "Eight years seemed like such a huge age difference back then."

"Not so much now."

Elizabeth smiled at him, "No, not so much at all."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I'm bored!" Rodney said dramatically, flopping into the seat opposite John.

John Sheppard looked up from his sandwich "And that would be my problem because?"

"Because everyone else is busy." Rodney whined.

"How the hell can you be bored, McKay?" John demanded. "The city's full of technology. Go find something to play with."

Rodney rolled his eyes, slumped in his seat and scowled at John. "I'm craving pizza... " he mumbled "you think I can get these bozos to make me pizza?" he asked, motioning towards the kitchen staff.

"I don't like your chances, McKay," John laughed. "You might have to put in an order in advance next time."

"Huh."

"Hello boys!"

John cringed as Rodney eyeballed Jennie Matthews.

"Dr Matthews, what can I do for you?" he asked formally.

"Actually," she replied, "It's what I can do for you. Dr Zelenka's looking for you. He's ranting about something in Czech. I have no idea what he's on about."

"Great," Rodney whined, as he stood to leave. "Sheppard, work on the kitchen staff. Suggest pizza. The sooner the better."

"Sure," John answered softly, watching him leave.

"So, Colonel Sheppard..."

"Whatever you're going to say, don't bother, I'm not interested." John snapped.

"Oh, but I think you will be," Jennie virtually purred. "I mean I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed how much time you've been spending with Dr Katz lately...."

"Oh, please..."

"Come on, John. Having coffee together at least twice a day.."

"Discussing the condition of her husband. Who happens to be one of my men." John snapped back.

Jennie laughed. "And you need to do that a couple of times each day? What would Elizabeth say about that? What would Major Katz do to you if he was led to believe that you were..."

"You're a nasty piece of work, Matthews," John threw back at her. "If I hear that you've said anything to upset Dr Katz or her husband... If you dare to even think about lying to Elizabeth.... "

His frustration grew as she just smirked at him, and he stood, pushing the remains of his sandwich aside.

"I can't for the life of me imagine how someone as sick as you passed the psych evaluation to get here."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth pulled an envelope out of her desk drawer as her newest recruit, Aimee Simpson left her office.

She turned it over in her hands, before carefully opening it, and pulling a blue piece of paper from inside it.

"Lizzy," John had written.

"In your absence, I've been taking great pleasure in playing mind games with McKay. Two days ago, while we were on a mission, I I spent the whole day putting rocks in his pack and could hardly stop laughing when he whined all day about how tired he was...."

Elizabeth smiled, and settled back to read.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sam Carter rested her head in her hands, eyes closed, letting out a groan.

"Carter?" Rodney asked anxiously.

"What do you want McKay?"

"Are you okay?" he asked.

She looked up "What does it look like?"

"Want me to get Keller?"

Sam shook her head, "No, I just need to eat something... It's been.." she looked thoughtful, "I don't remember how long it's been actually..."

"You're turning into Elizabeth," Rodney observed.

"What?"

"Elizabeth... I can't tell you the number of times I brought her food... she'd sit up here in this office and get so absorbed in her work..."

"Yeah," Sam offered him a smile, "that must be it."

"I have a Milky Way bar. Want half?"

Sam looked stunned.

"What? I do share sometimes. If you dont want it..."

"No, that sounds great..."

Rodney opened the wrapper, carefully breaking the bar so that it was as close to half as possible, and then quickly snaring the slightly larger portion for himself, giving Sam what was left in the wrapper.

"Thanks McKay."

"Don't mention it... I mean, really, don't mention it. The guys don't know I still have a stash..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So how's he doing?" John asked Melanie Katz.

"He's driving Keller crazy. Want's to get out now. She wants to keep him a couple more days."

John laughed. "Soldiers don't make good patients. I should know."

"Yes, I've heard you have a reputation in the infirmary."

"One I'm very proud of," John smirked. "So once he gets out, we'll get him into some light training. Build him up. I don't want to send him through the gate until he's absolutely ready."

"I know. Thanks John... it really means a lot that you're...." she trailed off as she saw him looking blankly towards the other side of the room, and turned to see Jennie Matthews watching them.

"She's trouble." John said simply.

Melanie nodded.

"She's threatening to tell your husband and my fiance that there's something going on between us."

Melanie looked stunned. "You can't be serious!"

"Unfortunately, I am. I'd love Elizabeth to be here, but part of me is glad she's as far away from Matthews as possible."

"I totally understand that."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sam Carter sat frustratedly in Keller's office. "Look, I need to go back to Earth for a week or so. I just need to make sure whatever this is that I have isn't contageous."

Keller nodded. "Okay, we'll run some tests, but if we had some sort of epidemic, I'd know by now."

Sam nodded. "Just do what you have to do. I'm thinking maybe I should stock up on some vitamins, too. This working 16 hour days doesn't seem to agree with me."

Jennifer Keller gave her a sly smile, "Well, you're at the three year mark. And you're sounding just like a certain Dr Elizabeth Weir."

Sam rolled her eyes. "It seems to go with the job."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John sat on his bed, coffee in one hand, letter in another. He placed the coffee on the floor next to the bed, and ripped the envelope open, tearing Elizabeth's letter from inside it.

"John," she'd written.

"I know you may not be able to make it, and it might not be something you'd like anyway, but my brother's firm is holding a fundraising charity ball. It's black tie, ballgowns, that sort of thing. It's been so many years since I've been able to attend something like this, that I'd love for us to both be there.

I've enclosed a flyer with the information on it..."

John reached back into the envelope, finding an invitation of sorts. Very professionally done, and promising a night of old style dinner and dancing.

He smiled. She was right, it wasn't quite his idea of a good time, but he wanted to be there. He reached out, opening a drawer beside his bed, pulling out a carved box, and looking at the earrings inside, with their stones the colour of rubies. A nice spot from Teyla. A perfect purchase for Elizabeth from an off-world market.

Without reading the rest of Elizabeth's letter, he started his own reply.

"Dear Elizabeth,

I'm going to speak to Carter about leave first thing in the morning. In fact I'll probably have to add an update to this letter, so I can give you her answer.

Regardless, I want you to go to the fundraiser. I want you to have fun. I'm enclosing a little something I picked up for you during a routine mission that turned out to be more of a shopping trip..."
Deciding by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
Been a while. I'm feeling the fury of a loss of Elizabeth, and as such I'm having trouble being nice to Sam.. but there's a bit of Sam/Jack focus in this chapter regardless... I did love them once.. but now? Not so much.
"Well?"

Jack O'Neill sat in front of Sam Carter with a shocked look on his face.

She rolled her eyes, "Are you going to say anything?"

"How....."

"Come on, Jack, you know how."

"And you're sure about this?"

"Would I be telling you if I wasn't?"

Jack still looked stunned. "Wow."

"Wow?"

"Yeah, wow."

Sam let out a frustrated sigh. "Is that a good wow or a bad wow?"

She watched as Jack seemed to weigh things up in his mind, "It's... it's a good wow." he told her.

Sam smiled. "I'm glad we've established that."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth Weir got to work an hour early on Monday morning. She'd come straight from the airport, after flying in from a trip to California to hang out with Abby.

They'd gone shopping, eaten huge amounts of bad food, and had attempted to colour their hair. Elizabeth's had remained the same, if only for a slight tinge of red, while Abby's was a shade darker, much to Matthew's horror.

Elizabeth had laughed, telling him it would wash out within six weeks, and not to be such a stick in the mud. Abby had smirked at him and told him she thought the darker colour make her look more like her aunt.

She couldn't wait to see them again, but for the next four days, these four walls were essentially home. Elizabeth looked around, trying to stifle the smothered feeling she had this far underground with no windows.

She knew her day would brighten a little when her team arrived to work, but that was at least an hour away.

Elizabeth pulled the small picture of herself and Abby, from her note book and wedged it into the side of a framed photo of Sedge and John. She smiled. Abby had encouraged her to get into the photo booth, despite her protests.

Now, though, Elizabeth was glad. The three most important 'people' in her life were on her desk. They'd get her through the most testing of days.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sam took in the sight of Jack in his dress uniform, as she poured two cups of coffee.

"Should you be drinking that?" he asked.

"Oh..." Sam looked flustered. "I guess... probably not." She handed him a cup, looked intently at the other, and poured it down the sink.

"Juice." Jack told her.

"Juice?"

"Yeah, you know, the other breakfast beverage. Much better for pregnant women."

Sam looked at him stunned. It was the first time either one of them had said it out loud.

"Shit..."

"You're not going to panic on me, are you?" he asked softly.

"No... when you put it like that, it just sounds so... I don't know.. real."

Jack laughed. "Carter, it is real. You've had the test twice. Keller's checked you out."

"Yeah... holy Hannah.."

"It's okay..." Jack assured her. "I've been through it all before. If anyone can do this, you can."

"But I can't do it from Atlantis. We can't do it with me in Atlantis..." she insisted.

"No, we can't," Jack admitted. "that's something we need to work out." He reached onto the shelf, pulled down a glass and poured a glass of orange juice, handing it to her.

"Thanks," Sam muttered.

"You're here for two weeks, right?"

She nodded, taking a sip of the juice.

"So I'll get here on Friday night, leave again on the Monday morning. We have a lot to work out... I mean, do you think .. you know.."

Sam sighed frustratedly "No, Jack, I don't know."

"Should we... should I be buying a ring here?"

He figured he'd probably said the wrong thing when Sam looked at him like a deer in headlights.

"That's a no, right?"

"You know my record with engagements, Jack... I think we're fine just the way we are.... "

"Yeah. Me too. Just checking. Wanted to be on the same page, here."

Sam let out a relieved breath she didn't realise she'd been holding. "I mean we're not exactly the fairytale, are we?"

The very idea made Jack laugh, "No, we're certainly not. I think we can leave that for Sheppard and Elizabeth...if they ever..."

"Oh!" Sam interrupted, running from the room.

"You're not going to puke or anything are you, because Sara used to do that all the time in the first few months..."

"No, I'm not!" he heard Sam yell from down the hallway. "I have something to give to Elizabeth.." she reappeared with a package in her hands "I'm going to catch up with her this morning."

Jack raised an eyebrow. "What, are you two giggling girlfriends these days or something?"

"Hardly," Sam said, giving him a smile. She held up the package for him to see. "More love letters from Sheppard" she said sarcastically.

"They're so 'sweet' they make me sick" Jack sighed.

"Me too."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth looked up to a knock on her half open office door.

"Colonel Carter!" she stood, urging her to enter the room.

"It's Sam... you don't need to be so formal," Sam insisted.

Elizabeth nodded. "Have a seat."

Sam sat opposite her at the desk, taking in the room "You've made it look a little more lived in than I expected," she said, indicating the books.

"Well, if you're going to be stuck in an office with no windows..."

"You need a view," Sam said, picking up the framed photo of John and Sedge. She took a close look at the small picture wedged in the side of the frame. "Is this..."

"My niece, Abby," Elizabeth finished for her. "She's 13."

"She looks a lot like you," Sam noted.

"She's wilder than I ever was," Elizabeth admitted, "I don't know how my brother handles her sometimes."

Sam replaced the photo, and a brief, uncomfortable silence settled between them. "I have something for you," she said finally, holding out a large envelope.

Elizabeth gave her an inquiring look.

"Mail. From John."

Sam wasn't surprised to see Elizabeth break into a grin, reach for the envelope and place it carefully on the desk in front of you.

"What's the story with the letters?" She asked.

Elizabeth took a breath. "Well, when I was... relieved of command ... John and I promised we'd write each other a note every day."

Sam looked amazed "Every day?"

"Yes, every day." Elizabeth smiled at her shock.

"You don't ever run out of things to say?"

Elizabeth paused, contemplating her answer. "No. We never do. I've never really thought about it."

"I always saw him more as a man of action than a man of words," Sam responded.

"On a battle field, sure. But when it really matters..." Elizabeth smiled, "he's very good with words. But don't let it get out. I'd hate to be the one who ruins his reputation!"

"Our little secret," Sam promised. "There was something else, too." She reached into her pocket and handed Elizabeth a card and a small wooden box, tied with a red bow.

Elizabeth gazed at the items in her hand, uncertainly.

"Well, open them," Sam insisted.

Elizabeth smiled, carefully opening the envelope and pulling out a handmade card. She set it aside after reading it, and gently pulled on the bow, to gain access to the contents of the box.

"Oh... wow.." Elizabeth lifted an earring from inside the box. It was a drop style, with a stone somewhere between the colour of a ruby and a garnet.

"That's pretty," Sam told her, taking in the colour.

"Every time he sees something red, he thinks it's perfect for me," Elizabeth admitted. "It all comes down to that red shirt.... "

"That's understandable... so, this isn't a birthday gift, is it?"

Elizabeth shook her head "It's .. well my brother's company's hosting a charity ball. I was hoping John would be able to get leave so he could go with me, but he wants me to go regardless... that's what the earrings are for."

Sam nodded. "He did mention wanting some time here... I didn't have time to talk to him about it before I left."

"I can understand that... I don't want you to think that I want any favours here.. I mean, favours would be nice," she laughed, "but I don't expect them. I know how it works. I know .."

"It's okay, I get it," Sam stopped her.

"Actually..." Elizabeth hesitated. "there is one thing.."

"What?"

"There's a scientist..."

"Jennie Matthews?"

Elizabeth nodded, "She's been very... persistent with him.."

"Yes, he's complained to me about her."

"He's told me everything," Elizabeth continued, "I trust him 100 percent. But her..." she sighed, "she's there every time he turns around.."

"I'll keep an eye on her. I know McKay's already watching her."

"Good.. thank you." Elizabeth said, relieved. "I wanted to ask about Sergeant Katz, too. How is he?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jack O'Neill used his keys to unlock the front door of Samantha Carter's home. He called out to her, picking up the phone and ordering a pizza when he heard no response. He figured she'd be home sooner rather than later.

Friday night seemed to have taken forever to come around. He'd been carefully weighing up their options all week, and had come to a few conclusions. None seemed like they'd work, though.

Sam wandered in about ten minutes after he'd arrived, not at all surprised to see that the door was unlocked.

"Hey," she said, "how was your week?"

"A lot longer than usual," he admitted. "I've ordered us a pizza... you are okay with pizza, right?"

Sam shrugged. "Who knows.. I guess we'll find out. The coffee, though... Let's just say you won't be drinking any while you're under the same roof as me."

"Right," Jack sat down on the couch, patting it for her to sit beside him, "so how was your week?"

"You know, meetings here, think-tanks there.. nothing too unusual."

"Yeah, I know the drill." Jack smiled, "So I've been thinking about our situation."

"And?"

"And either I have to go to Atlantis, or you have to come home."

"Tell me something I don't know," Sam sighed. "What's your suggestion?"

"Well, you could come back to the SGC, boss some geeks around.. play with some dohickies.. if you can handle that after being a desk jockey..."

"You know, I'd actually be happy to get out from behind the desk" Sam admitted, "I've taken to stealing artifacts from McKay's lab."

"If you'd be happy with that, we need to figure out what to do with the leadership of Atlantis. My pick would be Landry, Caldwell or Weir."

Sam looked shocked "Weir?"

Jack shrugged, "She knows it better than anyone. She has to be in contention. Though I doubt anyone would go for a civilian leadership again...."

"We're going to have to make some sort of announcement soon. Tell people what's going on so that they can start the transition happening." Sam insisted.

"Yeah. That's a conversation I'm looking forward to having..." Jack said with a sigh.

"I know the feeling."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth folded her two page letter to John, placing it inside a small blue envelope. She'd detailed her recent conversations with Carter, and told him of the other events of the day.

Before she sealed the envelope, she reached for a small photo-booth picture of herself with Abby. She turned it over, and reached for her pen, writing on the back of it.

"John, with love from Elizabeth and Abby."

She placed it inside the folds of the letter, sealing the envelope with a small, silver, star shaped sticker.
Domestics by lostgrace
John Sheppard sat in his temporary quarters at the SGC, wondering what the hell he was doing there.

Somehow, without him even asking, Carter had decided to bring him back to Earth. She sent a message back, leaving Rodney, Caldwell and Lorne in charge, and told him she needed him at the SGC.

Her two weeks had mysteriously turned into five, and nobody on Atlantis had a clue what was going on.

John was baffled, to say the least, but something about gift horses came to mind, and he decided not to question Carter's actions.

Right now, he was counting down the hours until Elizabeth turned up for work.

After that, he needed to figure out exactly what was going through Sam's mind.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth laughed as Aimee told her of her night out with one of the scientists.

"Who would have thought he'd be that wild!"

"Not me. He could drink any of the soldiers under the table," Aimee told her.

Elizabeth reached out to unlock her office, surprised when the door pushed open gently as she touched it. She frowned. It seemed the cleaners had left the door unlocked.

It didn't matter, she decided. She was on a military base. She didn't expect anything would be missing.

Elizabeth pushed the door further open, allowing Aimee to enter first.

"Well, hello there," Aimee said slyly.

Elizabeth looked past her, trying to see who she'd aimed her comment at, and was stunned to see John Sheppard sitting in her seat, feet on her desk.

"Hello to you, too," he said uncertainly, sitting up straight, instantly concerned he was in the wrong office until he saw Elizabeth peering around Aimee's shoulder.

He smile and waved, "Hey Lizzy!"

Elizabeth took a deep breath, "Hey," she said, returning his smile, not taking her eyes off him.

Aimee looked from one to the other, waiting for someone to address her.

"Oh, sorry... Aimee, this is..."

"The famous John Sheppard," Aimee finished.

Elizabeth nodded.

"So... I'll come back for that meeting at ten, okay?" Aimee told Elizabeth.

Elizabeth nodded again, eyes still on John who'd risen from behind her desk to shake Aimee's hand.

John leaned back against Elizabeth's desk as Aimee left the room.

"What are you doing here?" Elizabeth asked him.

"What am I.... I can always leave you know... if that's what you'd like," he smirked.

"Oh no you don't!" Elizabeth countered immediately, wrapping her arms around him and resting her head against his shoulder, "You're staying exactly where you are."

She breathed in his scent, loving the familiarity of it. John in turn twisted a curl of her hair around several fingers of his right hand.

"How did you manage this?" Elizabeth whispered.

"I didn't," John mumbled into her hair, "I have no idea what's going on. Carter recalled me."

"Then I guess I have something to thank her for," Elizabeth murmured, holding onto him just a little bit tighter.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard waited in the meeting room for Sam Carter. When she finally arrived, she looked nervous and distracted. She immediately suggested they go to Colorado Springs, find a cafe and have a private chat.

The idea terrified John. He let every nightmare scenario go through his head. Everything from Elizabeth being sent back to Antarctica to the military deciding that they could just end their relationship right now, thank you very much.

When pair finally made it to a small cafe, Sam led him to the back of the room, a small table away from prying eyes and ears.

"What's going on?" John asked her nervously. "Is this about Elizabeth?"

Sam was shocked that the thought had even entered his mind. "No. No this has nothing to do with Elizabeth."

"Then what? Why the secrecy, why the trip away from the SGC to talk?"

He watched as Sam took a deep breath. "I don't think I'm coming back to Atlantis."

John tried for a reply, but closed his mouth quickly, unable to think of a suitable response.

"John?"

"Um... yeah. What's going on?"

Sam looked around the room uncomfortably, about to answer just as the waiter arrived. John ordered a coffee and a sandwich, she ordered water and a caesar salad.

"Well?" John questioned when the waiter walked away again.

Sam shrugged. "What do you want me to say?"

"A reason would be helpful," he said sarcastically.

Sam hesitated for a moment, playing with a sugar packet. "Well," she said pointedly, "I'm .. going to have a baby."

John was speechless. This was the last thing he'd expected to hear. He'd been hoping for news that the powers that be had decided to hand the city back over to civilian leadership, that Elizabeth was being restored to her leadership position.

This, though, left him with even more questions.

"Wow."

"Yeah, that's what Jack said."

"Really?"

"Yeah," she admitted with a laugh, "right after he asked me how."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The drive back to the SGC was mostly silent until they'd all but reached the facility.

"Just so you know, you're one of only a handful of people who know," Sam glanced in John's direction, trying to make eye contact while still watching the road, "I'd like to keep it that way."

"Sure," John promised. "People are already asking what's going on back on Atlantis, though."

"I can imagine."

"And they haven't told you who your replacement will be?" John asked.

"Nope. Caldwell's name's been brought up. Mitchell, too, but I doubt it'll be him."

"Hmm."

"Just so you know, I mentioned your name," Sam told him.

"I don't want it," John insisted.

"I didn't think you would."

"What about Elizabeth?"

Sam sighed. "Come on, John. You know that's not going to happen."

"Then can you transfer me back to the SGC? You know, while you're still in charge."

"I'm not in charge," Sam told him. "As soon as I told them what was going on, my position on Atlantis ended. I'm taking a short break, then I'll be heading up the scientific side of things at the SGC until the baby arrives."

"So I guess it's a wait and see thing for both of us." John said softly.

"Yup. I have no idea what they're going to do."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I told Sheppard," Sam confessed to Jack as she stood outside the SGC, phone to her ear.

"You trust him to keep it quiet?"

"Yeah, I do. I mean he might tell Elizabeth, but I know it won't go further than that."

"How did he react?"

"He was shocked," Sam admitted. "But he hid it better than you did."

"Thanks for that..."

Sam laughed. "Well, he did. He's hoping against hope that Elizabeth will be able to go back with him. I tried to let him down gently... I think he knows it's not going to happen."

"Never say never, Carter"

Sam paused, unsure how to take the comment "What does that mean?"

"I'm working on a few leadership scenarios to put to people," Jack told her.

"You think there's a way to get her back there permanently?"

"Maybe. Don't let on, though. I don't want either of them to get their hopes up."

"Okay," Sam sighed. "this isn't easy to deal with, Jack."

"I know."

"We need to figure out what we're going to do long term. Maybe I should move to Washington... forget working at the SGC."

"Up to you," Jack told her, "but my offer to resign stands, you know that."

"Out of the question. I can't have you hanging around the house getting under my feet!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Our first night back together in ages and you drag me grocery shopping," John whined.

"You should make the most of it," Elizabeth insisted. "It's not like you can just go out any time and pick up... say..." she scanned the shelf in front of them, "Corn Flakes"

"You have a point," John admitted, "I think we should grab a box of those."

Elizabeth smiled, reaching out and adding the cereal to their stash of food. "It all feels very domestic, doesn't it?"

"Yeah, It's kind of nice," John told her, nudging her shoulder.

"We'll see if you're still saying that three weeks from now," Elizabeth grinned at him, nudging him back. "I still can't believe that you're here. We'll be able to go to Matthew's fundraiser... If you want to, that is."

"If I want to? How could I resist a chance to see you all done up?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth's phone rang as she did the last of the dishes. She wiped her hands quickly, and took the offending item from John.

"Hello?"

She smiled at the voice on the other end, "I have someone here who wants to talk to you!" she whispered into the phone.

Elizabeth passed the phone to John, mouthing the word "Abby" to him.

"Hey Abs!"

He laughed, and Elizabeth could hear the shriek from her niece over the phone across the other end of the kitchen. She listened as John told Abby that he'd be around for three weeks, and that he and Elizbeth would see her in a few days.

Elizabeth didn't think she'd been this happy in months.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John had the distinct feeling he was being watched. He opened one eye just a bit, spotting Elizabeth immediately. She was leaning up on one elbow, just watching him sleep.

"What you doing?" he mumbled.

"Enjoying the view," she teased.

John smiled and closed his eyes again. "Stop watching me and get back here," he insisted, grabbing her and pulling her back down to his level.

"As much as I'd like to stay, I have to work."

John groaned, "Really? You don't want to call in sick?"

Elizabeth laughed. "Gee, what you you think they'd think if I called in sick the day after you arrived?"

"Hmm. You have a point. Just stay a few more minutes though."

Elizabeth closed her eyes and let out a sigh, "That I can do," she promised.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John was surprised to hear a knock on the door, an hour or so after Elizabeth left for work.

He hurried through the house, looking briefly out the window to see if he could spot a car. It seemed Sam Carter had decided to pay him a visit.

"Did you tell her?" she asked as he opened the door.

"Tell her what?" John was genuinely confused.

Sam rolled her eyes, "About... you know.."

"Oh! About the baby? No... "

"You can," Sam told him, "I'd never expect you to keep a secret like that from her... I mean she's going to want to know what's happening, and I'm pretty sure can trust the two of you to keep it to yourselves."

"Yeah. You can." John promised. "And thanks... coffee?"

Sam groaned, "God no. Water maybe?"

"Sure," John wandered into Elizabeth's kitchen.

"Hey, nice colour on the walls," Sam glanced around the room as she followed him in.

"It's just.. yellow.." John mumbled, distractedly.

"I like it. I've always wanted a yellow kitchen."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Elizabeth's day had dragged longer than she thought possible. She'd never been one for clock watching until now. She'd spent the day willing five o'clock to come around so she could head home.

She opened the front door to her home, putting her bag and keys on the couch in the lounge area as she yelled out with a laugh "Honey, I'm home!"

"Hey!" She heard John calling from the kitchen, "I always thought of that as my line."

"Doesn't matter whose line it is, as long as one of us gets to say it each day," Elizabeth gave him a quick kiss, before looking around at the mess that was her kitchen. "What happened here?"

"Dinner... it's complicated," John sounded frustrated, "I was trying for dessert as well." He opened the oven, looking at a half cooked cake, "I think it's going to be a disaster."

"Let it cook," Elizabeth said, grabbing his hand and dragging him to sit at the table, "I'm sure it'll be perfect."

"I booked myself a ticket to LA. Got on the same flight as you on Friday," John told her. "And since the fundraiser's on Saturday night, I thought we could go shopping on Saturday morning, find you something new to go with those earrings..."

"You're offering to go shopping with me?" Elizabeth said in mock horror.

John rolled his eyes, "You say that like I'm some guy who can't cope in a shopping mall."

"I seem to remember a couple of shopping trips with Abby that didn't hold your attention too well," Elizabeth teased.

"Yeah, well I'm sure watching you try on dresses will be a lot more exciting than watching Abby pick out hoodies."

"I guess we'll see, won't we." Elizabeth smirked.

"We will," John answered. He paused, not sure where to go with what he needed to discuss with her next.

"John?" Elizabeth's concern was obvious, "Is everything okay?"

"Sure. It's fine.. I just have to tell you something, and I don't want you to get your hopes up in case it comes to nothing, okay?"

She nodded, reaching out and grasping his hand. "What is it?"

John took a deep breath, "Okay, Carter's leaving Atlantis."

Elizabeth's shock was obvious. She struggled to find something to say.

"Lizzy?"

"Yeah. Wow. That's .. unexpected."

"It is. In an ideal world for the two of us, you'd get your job back, but there's the question of our relationship now, and I think they're going to stay military. You've been mentioned, but so's Caldwell."

"Caldwell??"

"Yeah."

Elizabeth sighed, "What about you, John?"

"Carter suggested me, but I don't want it. You know I don't want it 'Lizabeth. I'd go out of my mind."

Elizabeth nodded. Suddenly the idea of them being able to be in the same galaxy seemed like a joke.

"So we go on with you there and me here, and ..."

"I asked Carter to transfer me to the SGC but she's not in charge anymore. If Caldwell gets it, I'll ask him. I don't think I'll have to beg him. He'd be happy to ship my ass back to the Milky Way."

"John, I don't want you to give up the adventure of a lifetime...."

"Lizabeth, you, me and the occasional trip through the gate leading an SG team is enough adventure for me." John told her.

"Are you sure?"

John squeezed her hand, "I'm positive."

"Okay," Elizabeth nodded. "Okay. That's at least more of a plan than we had. This is all so unexpected..."

"Oh! That reminds me, it's not the only thing that's unexpected!"

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow.

"Carter's pregnant," John said with a laugh.

"Oh my God! I can't imagine Jack's reaction to that."

"He asked her how," John told her with a grin.

Elizabeth burst out laughing.
Glowing by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
Nearly coming to a close, just a chapter (or maybe two) to go....
"Lizzy, how many dresses do you want to try on?" John Sheppard whined.

Elizabeth stuck her head out of the change room door, "You said you wouldn't complain." she scolded.

"That was fifteen dresses and five stores ago," he mumbled.

"What, you want me to just pick the first thing I try?"

"No, of course not. Heaven forbid you should do that..." John muttered under his breath.

"I heard that," Elizabeth called from behind the door.

"You were meant to," John insisted, "I liked the short red one. You know I love you in red."

"Sure.... What about this one?" Elizabeth exited the change room, wearing a long, black 1920s style dress with delicate beading.

"Perfect." John said, not looking up from the magazine he'd bought to occupy him.

"John."

He finally looked up. "Wow."

"You think?"

"I definitely think," he smiled. "And I'm not just saying that to get you out of here."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow. "Okay, there's one more I want to try."

John sighed, lying back on the bench he was sitting on, closing his eyes in frustration.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Are you going to show me what you've got in there?" John asked, eyeing the three bags Elizabeth had in her hands.

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because some things have to be a surprise," she told him.

"'Lizabeth, I saw every dress you tried on."

Elizabeth grinned at him, "Don't be so sure about that," she teased.

"Whatever... Chinese or Mexican?" he asked, looking around the foodcourt.

"Chinese," Elizabeth insisted.

"Chinese it is."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"How long does it take her to get ready?" Mathew Weir said frustratedly.

"How should I know, she's your sister," John answered.

"Somehow I think Abby's being more of a hindrance than a help up there.."

John laughed, "Well, as long as she doesn't try to do Elizabeth's makeup, I'd say we're fine."

"Yeah. She's really not happy with me about not coming tonight."

"She wants to spend time with Elizabeth, that's understandable," John replied.

"I know. She's so attached to her.. Elizabeth's been almost like a mother to her."

John sighed, "I wanted to talk to you about some things. There's a chance Elizabeth may end up coming with me, or that I'll be based back here... either way, we won't be able to see you guys any more than we already do. Probably less..."

"It's fine, John," Matthew insisted. "Abby will learn to live with it. You two have your own lives to live, and she knows that means you can't be around all the time."

John nodded "I still feel like I'm taking Elizabeth away from her.."

"If it was anyone else, she might feel like that, but she thinks you're great, John." Matthew laughed. "When you two got engaged, she told anyone who'd listen."

"She's ready to go to Casey's?" John asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah, everything's by the door."

John turned, facing the front door, to see a pile of junk lying there. "How long's she going for?"

"Just the night."

John laughed, "As much as I love the women in your family, I don't think I'm ever going to understand their need for so much luggage."

Before Matthew could answer, Abby came flying out of the guest room, excitedly "She's ready!" she proclaimed.

"About time," Matthew said under his breath, earning him a soft thump on the arm from his daughter.

"I want both of you on your feet!" Abby insisted, grabbing John by the hand and dragging him from his seat on the couch. "Nice penguin suit!" she told him before she turned to face the hallway."Come out Aunt Lizzy!"

Elizabeth emerged seconds later, looking a little embarrassed at the fuss being made by her niece. She tried not to laugh at the expression on John's face.

"Wow," he said. "I thought I saw every dress you tried on..."

"You must have fallen asleep during the showing of this one," Elizabeth teased.

"Nope. I'd remember this dress."

"You look great, Liz," Matthew told her.

Elizabeth smiled, smoothing down the red strapless dress. It was the same deep red as the earrings John had given her, and had a full, sweeping skirt that seemed to float. She'd managed to pull her hair up into one of those loose 'kind of professional, kind of not' styles she'd seen in so many magazines. John's earrings finished off the outfit, along with a simple, costume jewellery necklace she'd found with a similar colour stone.

"Are we ready to go?" Abby asked, picking up half of her belongings.

"I think so," Matthew answered her, reaching down to pick up her backpack and sleeping bag.

John reached out a hand to Elizabeth. She smiled, taking his hand and leading him to the front door.

"Have I told you yet that you're stunning?"

"I don't believe you have," Elizabeth answered with a grin.

"Well you are.. you're just glowing.."

Elizabeth gave him a shocked look.

"What?"

"Don't even think of using the word glowing around me. Save it for Colonel Carter!"

It took John a moment to realise what she mean.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth felt a tinge of self-consciousness as she looked around the room. She was one person in red in a sea of women in little black dresses. It made her wish she'd picked out something different until the wife of one of Matthew's colleagues complimented her on the colour and style of her dress.

She tried to search out John. He'd left five minutes ago to get them a drink, and seemed to be lost in the crowd.

"Well if it isn't Elizabeth Weir," a familiar voice said behind her.

She closed her eyes in frustration, but managed a smile by the time she turned to look at James.

"Hi"

"You look.... exquisite..." James gushed.

Elizabeth looked around uncomfortably, trying to catch Matthew's eye, but he was deep in conversation with another of his co-workers.

"I was hoping you'd make it tonight. Where are you based now? Connecticut?"

"Colorado." Elizabeth corrected, scanning the crowd for John.

"Right, Colorado. So since we're both on our own tonight, what say we..."

"I'm not.."

Elizabeth's answer was cut off by John's return.

"She's not on her own," he told James insistently.

"And you are?"

John laughed, holding out a glass to Elizabeth, "I'm her fiance. We've met before."

"Ah, the Air Force colonel."

"That's right, the Air Force colonel" John threw back at him.

"Great that you managed to join us this time," James said sarcastically.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John led Elizabeth onto the dance floor as the evening came to a close. "You should be honoured," he whispered to her, slipping his arms around her waist, "I don't dance for just anyone."

Elizabeth laughed, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Well then I feel honoured to have managed to get you dance with me three times tonight."

"I did have to keep you away from your brother's friend," he said softly, "Obviously the ring on your finger means nothing to him. He's very persistent."

"He's an idiot," Elizabeth insisted, "Matt told me that the last time I ran into him at a function..."

"He told me, and I'm sorry I wasn't there that night," John started.

"It's fine," Elizabeth interupted. "Our relationship hasn't developed in ideal circumstances, but it has been close to perfect so far. Imagine what it'll be like when we're living in the same galaxy" she whispered.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John woke to the sound of his phone ringing and fumbled around trying to find it in his pile of clothes from the night before "Sheppard," he said when he finally managed to answer it.

"John? It's Sam."

"Hey, Sam"

"I woke you up, didn't I?"

"No," John lied, "no, I'm up." He sat up in bed, noticing Elizabeth still sleeping beside him.

"So I knew you guys were coming back tonight, and Jack and I were wondering if you'd come over to my apartment for dinner."

"General O'Neill's in town?"

"Just for the weekend, yes. He'd like to see you both."

"Uh, yeah," John looked to Elizabeth as she stirred beside him, latching onto his free arm in her semi sleeping state. "Sounds great."

"What time do you get in?"

"We should be there by seven," John answered.

"How about we make a tentative time for some time between 7.30 and eight?" Sam asked.

"Sounds like a plan."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth fidgeted nervously with the bottle of wine she and John had picked up on the way to Sam's apartment.

"Did she say why they wanted to see us?" she asked.

"Lizzy, it's just dinner," John promised, "O'Neill just happens to be in town."

"It's not strange to you that this is going on when all the decisions are being made about the future leadership of Atlantis?"

"'Lizabeth, they're still talking about what they're doing. Regardless, if you don't get to come back with me, I'll get myself a transfer back to the SGC. Whatever it takes, I'll do it," he turned to catch her eye for a moment, "I promise you that."

Elizabeth nodded. "It's just so hard not knowing what's happening."

"I know...." John turned down a driveway, "we're here."

Elizabeth took a deep breath, "Okay, I'm ready."
Propositions by lostgrace
John shifted a little closer to Elizabeth as they waited for Sam Carter to open the door to her apartment. He could sense she was uneasy, concerned about what may come of the night.

She looked up, offering him a nervous smile as he gently took her hand.

Within seconds, Sam opened the door, welcoming them with a smile "Great to see you," she told them, standing back to let them in.

John took the bottle of wine from Elizabeth, handing it in turn to Sam.

She laughed "I think you three will have to handle this.. I doubt Jack'll let me near it."

"Great place," John told her, scanning the lounge area of her small apartment.

"Not ideal, but since I hadn't been here much, I didn't see a reason to keep the house... sold it a year back. If I knew then what I know now," she replied.

Jack entered the room from the kitchen, and John saw Elizabeth visibly relax. Although she and Sam were not on bad terms, she'd always been more comfortable around O'Neill.

"Elizabeth!" Jack approached, putting an arm around her shoulder and leading her to the couch. "Sit, we have snacks!"

John smiled at the gesture. He obviously wasn't the only one who'd noticed Elizabeth's nerves. He turned to Sam "So how goes the new job situation?"

"I start tomorrow," Sam told him. "Which means the proverbial is about to hit the fan. It won't be long before the news filters through to Atlantis."

"They won't hear it from me," John promised. "Anything on a replacement yet?"

"Nothing concrete," Sam glanced at Jack, who was discussing the merits of bread sticks with Elizabeth, "actually, that's part of the reason we wanted to see you."

John nodded. He'd thought as much, but hadn't wanted Elizabeth to worry about the situation until they were presented with it.

"We should probably get it out of the way now," Sam added, "Jack?"

He gave her a questioning look.

"Should we have that discussion now?"

Jack O'Neill looked from John to Elizabeth and then back to Sam. "As good a time as any," he replied.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was all but crossing her fingers and toes as she and John sat, waiting for Sam and Jack to talk to them about the leadership of Atlantis.

Sam had insisted on getting them something to drink, provided it wasn't coffee, which she still couldn't take the smell of.

Once they all had drinks in their hands, the sat in the lounge area.

An uneasy silence had settled, and John reached out a hand, resting it on Elizabeth's back, letting her know that he had the same concerns she did.

"Well?" he asked.

"Well... " O'Neill started. "They're not interested in a civilian leadership."

John nodded, glancing at Elizabeth. Her disappointment was obvious. She'd tried not to get her hopes up, but the remote possibility of a return to Atlantis had given her a shred of optimism.

"So Caldwell?" she whispered.

"Possibly," Jack replied.

"If he gets it, I'm going to ask for a transfer to the SGC" John insisted. "Nothing against the decision.. I just want the two of us to be in the same place."

"We're hoping it won't come to that," Sam told him.

Jack cleared his throat. "Okay... the scenario I'm pushing is this: we get them to set up a committee of sorts. Either three or five people so there's no hope of a tied decision on important issues. Elizabeth, in my ideal scenario, you'd be one of those people."

"But the military..."

"The American military is getting grief from international forces. This was never supposed to be a solely American operation. Or solely military for that matter. They've had a US Airforce Colonel in charge. Three if you count Sheppard and Caldwell as well as Sam. The scientists aren't the only ones who've had a problem with that. The Russians and the Chinese in particular aren't happy."

Elizabeth was amazed. "And you think they'd go for some sort of civilian involvement?"

"As an alternative to having the situation entirely dictated by the US military, yes."

"So in your 'ideal situation', who would these three or five people be?" John asked.

"The two of you," he said pointedly, " and if we're making it five, Caldwell, McKay and a Russian military leader, Beletsky."

Elizabeth was speechless.

"I'm not saying it's going to happen," Jack told them, "I'm just letting you know what I'm suggesting. Landry's agreed with me that a committee would be the best makeup for the leadership. We're talking to the higher-ups."

John nodded. "This is... unexpected."

"I know you said you weren't interested in leadership, John, and if you're still not, then it's possible to rethink the lineup. But with five of you, no one person would be entirely responsible for decision making. And the lineup of three Americans a Canadian and a Russian will make the international forces much more comfortable. Not to mention the scientists, since a scientist and a civilian will be representatives."

"It sounds good, right 'Lizabeth?" John questioned.

Elizabeth nodded. "I never saw this coming..."

"Neither did anyone we put it to," Jack said smugly.

"There's only one other thing we need to consider," Sam interupted. "and as much as I hate to mention it, your relationship's going to be brought up when this is looked at."

John looked to Elizabeth, smiling at her, "They won't find anything to complain about," he insisted. "just because we're together doesn't mean we're going to agree on everything."

"We know that," Jack replied, "but the people who are making the final decision don't know you as well as we do."

"A committee of people should make it easier to make sure that nobody favours anyone else or sides with anyone else. I know you two are close to Rodney, for example, but I can't see you siding with him just because he's Rodney." Sam stated.

"Me? Agree with McKay? It'll never happen," John answered sarcastically.

"Elizabeth?" Jack questioned, "how do you feel about this idea?"

"I.. " she sighed, trying to find the words to express what she felt, "I think it's a much better scenario than I imagined."

Jack smiled at her, "It's not necessarily going to happen. Hell they may throw something else completely into the mix, but I want you to know that I want this to happen. I'll do everything I can to make it happen."

Elizabeth nodded, "Thank you, Jack. I can't tell you how much this means to me.."

"I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think you deserved it," Jack insisted. "You too," he said, looking to John.

Sam surveyed the scene in front of her, standing and jabbing Jack in the shoulder "Come on, O'Neill. Let's get this dinner happening."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John glanced over his shoulder to make sure Sam and Jack were out of earshot before he spoke.

"Lizzy, I know it sounds great, but we need to make sure we don't bank on this happening, okay?"

Elizabeth nodded. "If it doesn't work out, you come to the SGC. Either way we win, right?"

"We do," he smiled at her, pushing a curl of hair behind her left ear.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sam gave Jack a quick slap on his arm.

"Ow! What was that for?"

Sam turned him to face the couch where John and Elizabeth sat, "Look! Why don't you ever look at me like that?"

"You're kidding, right? You want me to gaze at you adoringly like a lost puppy? Not very you, Carter." Jack rolled his eyes as he saw John pull Elizabeth into his arms and plant a kiss on the top of her head.

He glared at Sam as she swatted his arm again.

"I think I'm going to need more than a glass of wine to get through tonight," he moaned.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was silent as John drove them the five miles from Carter's apartment to her house.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Hmmm?"

"You're quiet, are you okay?" John repeated.

Elizabeth stifled a yawn. "I'm fine," she insisted. "just a little tired... and overwhelmed. It's been an eventful night."

"Certainly has," John agreed as he parked the car outside her home. "What time do you have to be in the office tomorrow?"

"Ten. I have a meeting."

John got out of the car and removing their luggage from the trunk. He handed Elizabeth the keys before picking up the bags and following her to the front door.

He dumped the bags in Elizabeth's room and was surprised to find that she hadn't followed him.

"Lizzy?"

"In the kitchen," she called.

John stood in the doorway as she reached for the coffee "Oh no you don't." he insisted, walking over and taking the coffee from her hand. "You need to sleep, and that's not going to help."

She raised an eyebrow at him in a challenging way, but didn't protest when he led her from the room, turning off the light. "For depriving me of coffee, you need to make me breakfast in bed, since you're playing house husband for the next two weeks," she muttered.

"If it gets you to come to bed and get some sleep, I'll make you breakfast. I might even use Abby's pancake recipe."

Elizabeth yawned again, "Sounds good," she told him, "but I don't think I have any chocolate chips..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth woke to the feeling of John Sheppard running his fingers through her hair. She opened one eye slowly, closing it again as the bright morning sunshine asaulted her senses.

"Hey sleepy," John whispered.

"What time is it?"

"Pancake time," John told her, "and there weren't any chocolate chips, but I threw on some of those strawberries we got the other day."

"Hmmm. Nice," Elizabeth showed no sign of getting up.

"Honey, you have an hour to get to work."

"Okay," Elizabeth sat up without opening her eyes. "I'm up."

John grinned at the sight of her sitting bolt upright in bed, eyes still closed, hair all messed up. "Want me to close the blinds again?"

She nodded, and he obliged, letting her know when it was okay to open her eyes again.

"I'm going to get us some coffee, okay? Get started on the pancakes."

"Okay," Elizabeth took the tray from him, and started to dig into her breakfast.

John was back within moments, bringing with him two cups of coffee and a spare fork.

He passed one cup to Elizabeth, put his on the table by his side of the bed, and snared himself a taste of her pancake.

"Hey!" Elizabeth moved her plate away from him, teasingly, "Why am I sharing my breakfast with you?"

"Um... because you love me?"

"I don't know if I love you more than strawberry pancakes," Elizabeth mused.

John smiled at her. "Do you love me enough to marry me before my two weeks here is up?"
Plans by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
This is just a little bit of fluff...
"Are you serious?"

John smiled at the stunned look on Elizabeth's face. "Yup."

"You don't want to wait.. invite people... organise something..."

"Lizzy if that's what you want, we can wait, but I can tell you from experience, a big wedding doesn't guarantee a happy marriage."

Elizabeth nodded. "I never really wanted something big... I was just hoping Rodney could be there..."

"We can wait... if you want to, we can wait.. I just thought that with me going back, them organising the leadership.. there's no guarantee we'll see each other in the next few months."

"Okay."

"Okay what?"

Elizabeth grinned at him, "Let's do it."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

John leaned in and gave her a quick kiss, "Eat your breakfast," he insisted, "I'm going to take a shower."

"So I get my pancakes back, hey?"

"Yup. Eat up. Then I'm taking you to work and going into town. I have some things to organise..."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth wandered into Sam Carter's office after her meeting. The day was dragging and she was looking for someone to distract her. Someone to maybe even have lunch with her.

"Hi," she said as she knocked on the already open door.

"Elizabeth," Sam looked up from her computer, "come on in."

Elizabeth sat at Sam's desk, "How's the day going?"

"Slowly," Sam confessed.

"Yeah, for me, too."

"Something on your mind?" Sam asked.

Elizabeth smiled, "Well, I'm getting married."

"Tell me something I don't know," Sam said, almost sarcastically.

"No, I mean in the next two weeks. I was wondering how you are with dress shopping."

"In the next two weeks? You can't be serious."

"I didn't think so at first.. it was John's idea.. but I think the timing's perfect. I want us to be married before he goes away again..."

"Elizabeth," Sam interupted, "you're not going to be torn apart for months on end again. You don't have to rush things."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, "You do remember how long we've been engaged, right?"

"Point taken." Sam studied Elizabeth's expression. "So you trust me to go dress shopping with you?"

"Absolutely. I need a second opinion."

"Then I'm in."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You did what?"

"I need a second opinion, John. I just asked her to come and help me out."

John looked flustered. "Have you ever seen her in a dress?"

Elizabeth shook her head.

"I doubt she even owns one. If you turn up in leather looking like a biker, I swear..."

Elizabeth burst out laughing. "John, how often have you seen me wearing a dress?"

"That's different," John insisted. "she rides a motorbike, dresses in leather.. you'e a girly girl."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, "I'm a what?"

"You know.. you're soft, feminine.. all those good things that make guys like girls." John attempted to dig himself out of the hole he'd ended up in.

"And you think Colonel Carter's not?"

"How the hell should I know? I haven't seen any evidence of it, though," John insisted.

Elizabeth laughed at him, and kissed his cheek before heading to the kitchen to make coffee, "Is it bad that I'm glad you haven't noticed she's a girl?" she asked.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So they're getting married in the next two weeks, and God help me, I've agreed to go dress shopping with her."

The silence on the other end of the phone was deafening.

"Jack?"

"Yeah, just thinking. Maybe you should take Cassie with you."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, General!" Sam answered sarcastically.

"I'm not saying you won't help her, but maybe Cassie would like to go too.. that's all...."

Sam sighed. "You're probably right. My wedding dress shopping hasn't been the best experience of my life. Both times I looked at the dresses later and wondered what the hell I'd been thinking!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I was thinking of Las Vegas," John said, taking a plate from Elizabeth and drying it off.

She took her hands out of the soapy water, turning to him, "Las Vegas? I'm not going to have a tacky wedding like Britney Spears,"

John laughed, "Lizzy, it doesn't have to be tacky. It'll be beautiful.. it'll just be.. memorable."

"I'm not being married by an Elvis or an alien or any of those other characters" she insisted.

"Of course not," John agreed. "We'll do 'classy Vegas'.. I just thought it'd be convenient. We can fly in from here, Matt and Abby can come in from LA... your mom can get there easily... maybe Carter and O'Neill can come.."

"You want them there?"

"Only if you do."

Elizabeth smiled. "That'd be nice." she said, dipping her hands back into the dish water.

"It'll be different, but we can have traditional vows.."

Elizabeth turned to him again, pointing a soapy, bubbly finger at him "I am not going to promise to obey you, so you can forget that, mister!"

"Well that's it then," John said dramatically, "the wedding's off. My woman's going to obey me, no matter what."

Elizabeth scowled at him, flicking some soapy bubbles in his direction.

John broke into a grin, "Lizzy, you don't want to start something you can't finish," he told her, moving in, dipping his fingers in the water and coating her nose in a liberal dose of bubbles.

She tried to look fierce, but couldn't help smiling as he rubbed his nose against hers and gave her a soft kiss.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth glanced over to then other side of the room, looking at John lazing on the couch, remote in his hand.

She closed her laptop and studied his expression. He was tired, that much was obvious, but he'd sat up past midnight, keeping her company.

"John?"

"Yeah," he answered, not taking his eyes off he tv screen.

"Can I ask you something?"

He looked up, sat up, and motioned for her to sit next to him, "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing," Elizabeth stood, walking slowly to the couch and sitting beside him.
"I just wanted to talk to you.."

John smiled, "Talk away."

Elizabeth took a deep breath. "When did you know? I mean, when did you know that we could be more than just friends?"

John hesitated, not wanting to bring up something that might upset her.

"John?"

"Okay... remember when Kolya told me he'd killed you?"

She nodded, taking his hand and urging him to continue.

"I was ready to do whatever it took to make him pay for that... that's when I knew I loved you.... how about you?"

Elizabeth smiled, "Same day," she admitted. "After it was all over, when I went to your room.. I knew you were tired, but you insisted on sitting up with me.. keeping my mind off things."

"We had so many wasted years," John said frustratedly.

"Not wasted," Elizabeth insisted, slipping her arms around him, resting her head on his shoulder. "we developed an amazing friendship that'll get us through anything."

She felt John nod. "And in a week you'll be my wife."

Elizabeth tightened her grip on him, kissing a bare spot on his shoulder, "It's going to be the first chapter in a new advenure for us."
Disruptions by lostgrace
John Sheppard shifted uncomfortably, glancing at Elizabeth Weir out of the corner of his eye as she tapped away on her laptop.

He looked back to the movie on TV, trying to give it all his attention, but he had the distinct feeling he was being watched.

John chanced a glance back at Elizabeth, catching her looking at him over the top of her computer.

She quickly looked back down, frowning in feigned concentration.

"What?" he asked.

"What, what?"

John quirked an eyebrow at her.

"It's nothing," Elizabeth insisted.

"Right." he turned back to the movie.

Less than a minute later, Elizabeth let out a hugh sigh.

John rolled his eyes, hitting pause to stop the DVD and turning to face her.

"What's the problem?"

"It's stupid..." she said, after a pause.

"If it's distracting you this much, it can't be stupid."

"What if we go back and I can't do the job anymore?"

John gave her a stunned look. "You can't be serious."

"I assure you, I'm perfectly serious." Elizabeth insisted. "I'm not the person I was when I left."

"Who says you have to be?"

Elizabeth considered his statement for a moment, "You don't think it's a problem that I've been more comfortable tutoring teenagers for the past few years than I am in a high stakes negotiation?"

"Come on, Elizabeth," John said frustratedly. "It's like riding a bike. You know how to do this. You're the best there is. That's not something that just goes away."

"You think?"

"I know," John told her without a moment's hesitation. "Anything else bothering you?"

"You."

"Me?" John's confusion was obvious.

"What if you cloud my judgement? What if I don't make the right decisions because I'm worried about you?"

"'Lizabeth, that's why O'Neill's talking about a committee. No one person has the final say on anything."

She nodded, "Yeah.. but still..."

John moved from his seat to sit beside her. "You won't make the wrong decision. About anything. Neither of us will. And if we try to, McKay will be there to pull us into line. Caldwell too."

Elizabeth nodded, but John could tell she was still considering the scenario.

"'Lizabeth, it's not worth worrying about until they make a decision."

"I know..."

"So stop thinking.."

She laughed at that.

"Okay, bad idea.. you never stop thinking... just.. think about something else..."

"Like what?"

John smirked at her. "Like the fact that I have a chocolate bar hidden somewhere on my person, and it's yours if you can find it."

Elizabeth looked him up and down, curiously, "You'd better not be messing with me.." she told him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John fumbled around in the darkness for his phone, which was ringing loudly somewhere under a pile of clothing. He fell out of bed while reaching into the mess of fabric, landing with a thump before triumphantly clutching the phone.

"Sheppard," he mumbled, sleepily, kneeling to glance at the alarm clock on the other side of the bed. 4.23am.

"It's Landry," a voice on the other end answered.

"Sir," John shuffled around, almost slipping on a discarded shoe before sitting on the bed. "What can I do for you?" he asked quietly.

"It's bad news, I'm afraid."

John slumped, sighed and asked "What happened?"

"We need you to go back today."

There was nothing to say. John closed his eyes in frustration.

"Sheppard?"

"I'm here."

"I know you had plans..." Landry's apologetic tone had John wanting to throw something at the wall. It was a little hard to be angry when someone was being so understanding.

"What happened?"

"Freak accident. Colonel Caldwell's out of action."

"How out of action?"

"Unconscious in the infirmary. That out of action."

John searched his mind for alternatives "How about Lorne?"

"Injured off-world. Pretty badly. He's also in the infirmary."

The urge to throw something at the wall was rising again.

"So you're saying I'm it?"

John heard Landry sigh, "I'm afraid so. We need you to ship out in about three hours."

"Three hours? Sir, I just needed three more days...."

"I'm sorry, Colonel. If there was any other way..."

"I know." John glanced over at Elizabeth's sleeping form. "I just need time to explain this to Elizabeth.. I'll be there as soon as possible."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It's not the end of the world, John," Elizabeth insisted as the pair drove to the SGC.

"We only needed three more days," he answered frustratedly.

"I know, but it's not like Lorne and Caldwell injured themselves on purpose..."

"If I find some sort of disaster caused by McKay has anything to do with this..."

Elizabeth laughed, "I'm sure Rodney's innocent on this one occasion," she told him.

"You have more faith than I do..." John mumbled, as they he parked Elizabeth's car.

They got out quickly, John grabbing the backpack that held his belongings and turning towards the entrance.

Elizabeth linked her arm through his. "I know you're disappointed," she told him. "I am too, but nobody did this on purpose. It goes with the territory. We both know that. The job comes first."

"I know, but it's not right," John insisted. "If the job always comes first, where does that leave us?"

"Waiting patiently, the way we always do." Elizabeth told him, squeezing his arm.

John eyed her suspiciously, "You're taking this better than I am. Why?"

She shrugged. "There's nothing we can do about it. Our time will come eventually. It's just taking a bit longer than we planned."

John smiled at her "I'm marrying a saint." he teased.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth watched John leave through the Stargate, wishing she could be making the journey with him. She'd resigned herself to the fact that they would be apart for quite some time. At least until O'Neill and co. came up with some solution to the leadership issue.

She made a mental note to call him. The sooner the better.

Elizabeth turned, making her way back to her office. She needed a sugar hit. She reached into her pocket, pulling out the chocolate bar she'd snatched from John the night before. Who cared if it was before eight in the morning. There was no such thing as a bad time for chocolate.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth's Friday off dragged. Once she got home, she sat at her desk, tapping away on her laptop for a while, before finally deciding that lunchtime was a good time to call Jack.

She took a breath, dialled his number, and was surprised when she heard a phone ringing outside her own front door.

"O'Neill" a voice answered. She heard it both over the phone and from outside the house.

Elizabeth opened the door, seeing the startled face of Jack O'Neill.

"That was fast," he joked, "didn't even have to knock."

She ended her call "That was me," she told him, gesturing towards his own phone.

"Oh. Right."

Elizabeth almost laughed at the confusion on Jack's face. "To what do I owe this visit?" she asked.

"I needed to have a word with you and Sheppard."

"He's gone," Elizabeth told him, disappointment obvious. "he was called back. Caldwell and Lorne are injured."

"They sent him straight back?"

Elizabeth nodded.

"I'm sorry about that... I guess that kind of ends the weekend in Vegas, right?"

"Not really," Elizabeth offered him a smile, "my family's still going, I'm still going... we're going to see some shows. You and Colonel Carter are welcome to join us if you want to..."

"I'll ask her."

"Okay." Elizabeth finally ushered him in, apologising for leaving him standing in the front door, and offering him a drink.

"Do you have cake to go with that drink?" Jack smirked.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, "Yes, I have cake." she cut them a slice each, poured two cups of coffee and offered Jack his share, before leading him to the lounge area to sit.

She placed her coffee and cake on the table, waiting for Jack to elaborate on why he'd decided to take a trip from Washington to see her.

He seemed more interested in his cake.

"Jack... not that I'm not happy to see you, but what's going on?"

Jack wiped some crumbs from his mouth, and locked eyes with her. "I have an answer on our committee plans." he revealed.
Routine by lostgrace
Within seconds of arriving back in the city, Rodney accosted John.

"What's going on? Where's Carter?"

John sighed. "Hello Rodney, how are you?" It amazed him how many times the scientist confronted him like this, just moments after his return to the city.

"Yeah. Hello. Whatever. Now what's going on with Carter?"

John turned away, heading towards his quarters.

"Sheppard!"

"There are changes on the way Rodney, let's just say that."

"And what does that mean?"

John stopped dead in his tracks, turning to face the scientist. "McKay, if you think I'm going to talk to you about this in a public hallway, you're crazy. If you want to know more, keep your mouth shut and follow me."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So that's the story."

"Pregnant?"

John rolled his eyes. "Yes Rodney, I've told you that twice already."

"Huh."

"Now we just have to wait til they decide what they're doing with the leadership. They have a couple of options, one of which includes Elizabeth." John revealed.

Rodney actually cracked a smile. "Elizabeth? Back in the office?"

John nodded.

"I like the sound of that," Rodney said softly. "It hasn't been the same without her."

"No, it most certainly hasn't." John agreed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John flopped down in the chair next to Lorne's bed in the infirmary.

"Tell me what happened."

Evan Lorne eyed him suspiciously. "I thought Keller would have told you already."

"She did," John confirmed. "But it was just so funny, I wanted to hear it from you, too."

"Funny, Sir. You want to see the bite on my ass? Would that be funny?"

John smirked at him, "I have no desire to see your ass, Lorne," he told him. "but thanks for telling me where the bite is. Keller left that part out."

"Then what was so funny?"

"Oh, I don't know... maybe the idea of you being bitten by what's essentially an oversized rabbit."

"Yeah," Lorne mumbled, "well those creatures have sharp teeth. I was only glad Jenson shot the bastard so we could bring him back for dinner."

"So it bit you, then you bit it?" John laughed. "this story gets better by the second."

"Nice to know you're amused by my misfortune, Sir."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John approached Jennifer Keller's office, standing outside while she spoke to a nurse.

He waited for five minutes, before the doctor noticed him there and motioned for him to come inside.

"Colonel. How's Major Lorne"

"Embarrassed," he admitted.

"Well, it's not every day a wild animal on an alien planet bites you on the..." she stopped suddenly.

"The ass." John smirked. "That's what you were going to say, isn't it?"

"He told you?" Keller was surprised. "He's sworn the medical staff to secrecy. He's mortified."

"He thought you told me," John confessed, so it wasn't actually hard to get it out of him."

She nodded. "It would be kind of funny. If it wasn't infected." She shuffled some papers on her desk. "So now you've seen the Major, I take it you'd like to see Colonel Caldwell. He regained consciousness this morning, as I told you."

"Yeah. I should do that. Rodney's worried he's going to get his ass kicked with that drone business."

Keller laughed, "Well, Dr McKay wasn't to know it was going to send trip the Colonel up and send him flying down the stairs."

"This place never gets dull, does it?"

"No, it doesn't." Keller agreed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Hey, Sheppard!"

John put a sandwich on his tray beside the coffee and cake and turned to Rodney McKay, who was motioning him over to a table in the corner.

He sat, moving some of Rodney's discarded scraps out of the way.

"I never asked how Elizabeth is," Rodney admitted as he popped the last of his sandwich into his mouth.

"Good. She's fine," John told him. "We were trying to plan a quickie wedding when I was called back."

Rodney nearly choked on his sandwich. "What? You were getting married without me?"

"McKay, not everything revolves around you, and yes, were were planning to get married in Vegas."

Rodney laughed, "Las Vegas? Doesn't sound much like Elizabeth."

"Well it's not happening now."

"I bet she's pissed..."

"You know what? She's actually fine with it. She was the voice of reason." John sighed. "Sometimes I think she's too good for me."

"Huh." Rodney mused, "well, I know she's too good for you."

He ducked as John threw a piece of crust at his head.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Well?"

Jack raised an eyebrow.

"Sorry, Jack... it's just you've been sitting here, knowing what you want to talk to me about..."

"It's okay, Elizabeth." he smiled, noting her nervousness. "I'm going to put you out of your misery."

She nodded, waiting for him to continue.

"You have three weeks to pack things up."

"You mean..."

"Yeah." Jack held out his hand to her "Congratulations, Dr Weir. You're a member of the five person committee that'll be running Atlantis from now on."

Before he had a chance to continue, Elizabeth had flung her arms around him. "Thank you, Jack."
Mementos by lostgrace
Jack O'Neill smiled as Elizabeth Weir paced around her living room. "You're giong to wear a hole in the carpet," he joked as he took another bite of his cake.

She stopped, turning to him. "I think I know how Rodney feels when he gets into one of those states where he can't stand still," she told him. "I feel like any minute someone's going to wake me up."

"It's real, Elizabeth," Jack promised. "You, John, Caldwell, McKay and a Russian military leader, Beletsky."

"I can't believe they agreed to this..."

"Hey, how could they resist my charm and obvious talent for problem solving?" Jack asked with a smirk.

"Whatever it is you have," Elizabeth said with a smile, "I'm grateful for it."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I'm home!"

Samantha Carter looked up from the paperwork spread in front of her on her kitchen table, "In here," she called.

The smile on Jack's face as he entered the room was proof that his meeting with Elizabeth had gone well. Not that she'd expected it wouldn't.

"So, is she excited?"

"You could say that," Jack smirked.

"I guess this has all worked out for the best then," Sam mused, digging around in a chip packet.

"Should you be eating those?"

"Hey, I have a licence to eat what I want right now," She countered.

"I don't think that's the way it works,"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth looked around the crowd in the terminal at LAX, scanning the sea of people for Abby and Matt. They found her before she spotted them, Abby digging her in the ribs from behind, making her let out a un-Elizabeth-like squeal.

"Ha! Got you!" Abby laughed.

Elizabeth smiled at the teenager, pulling her into a hug. "What do you think we can do to annoy your dad for the few days?" she asked.

"Can you take me to get my belly button pierced?" Abby asked quietly.

"I heard that, and the answer is no. No daughter of mine is defacing her body like that." Matt said firmly.

Abby pouted at him, looping her arm through Elizabeth's and leaving her dad to grab her aunt's luggage.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth sat on the balcony with Matthew, staring out into the night and listening to the sound of the waves on the shore.

"Two week. That's quick."

She smiled, "It is."

"Will you be safe?" Matt asked.

Elizabeth hesitated before nodding.

"Can you tell me anything?"

Elizabeth sighed. "I want to. I want to tell you the whole story. But.."

"Yeah, it's classified. I know."

"I'm sorry," she sighed. "I really am. If it was possible, if they'd let me, I'd tell you."

"I know," Matt turned to her, "You're not going to disappear for years on end again, are you?"

She shook her head, "No, at least I doubt it. Everything's so uncertain, but it's a much better situation than it was when I first left on the mission all those years ago."

"You and John have a home here any time you need it," Matthew promised. "Sedge, Abby and I wouldn't have it any other way."

Elizabeth smiled, and reached out a hand to stroke Sedge's head. "Make sure you take care of my two favourite girls," she insisted.

Her brother laughed,"Between your dog and your niece, I think I'm the one who'll need taking care of."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The clatter of cuttlery woke Elizabeth from her sleep about ten the nexxt morning. She opened one bleary eye to see Abby entering her room with a tray of pancakes and coffee.

"Maybe I should go on long trips more often if it gets me breakfast in bed." she joked.

Abby frowned. "Don't say that."

"I'm joking, kiddo."

Abby sat herself down on the bed, handing the tray to Elizabeth.

"I want you to come back as often as you can." she insisted.

"I will."

"And I want you to bring John with you."

Elizabeth smiled, "You still have a crush on him," she teased.

Abby gave her a disgusted look. "As if. He's ancient. He might be relatively cute, but he's an old man."

"If you say so," Elizabeth said with a smirk.

Abby stood, just as quickly as she'd sat, and ran from the room, leaving Elizabeth puzzled, and wondering if she'd said something wrong.

Moments later, she returned, photo album in her hands and a smile on her face.

"I wanted to give you this to take with you," she said excitedly, "Just so you don't forget you want to come and spend time with us."

Elizabeth reached out a hand, pulling on her niece's pigtail, "As if I'd ever forget that."

Abby settled herself in the bed next to her aunt, and opened the album.

Elizabeth was stunned. That camera she and John had given Abby had been put to good use.

"I didn't take them all," Abby confessed. "The early ones are the ones dad took before you gave me the camera."

Elizabeth gave her a grateful smile, as she took in the photos of herself, John, Abby, Matt, her mother and Rodney. So many memories from so many visits they'd shared.

"I love it."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth took one last look around the office she'd called her home away from home. She and Beletsky were due to leave in half an hour. His first trip through the gate, and her return to the place she truly thought of as home.

She scoured the shelves, making sure the only thing left behind was a room full of generic books. She'd already made sure to take John's letters with her. Her mementos of their time apart, and the charting of the 'John and Elizabeth' they'd become, away from the confines of Colonel and Doctor.

The only thing left to take was the jar John had given her for her birthday in their first year on Atlantis. It had once been filled with the ashes of her other self. Now it was filled with pot pouri that had a distinct ocean scent. The smell of the place she'd scattered the ashes of the alternate Elizabeth.

She picked it up, turned off the light and closed the door.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Beletsky, for all his military training, looked nervous.

Elizabeth tried to hide a smile as she regarded the man from a safe distance. He had a touch of the General Hammonds about him. A professional, military, yet kindly looking man.

He was obviously wondering what to expect from his first trip through the gate.

She approached him, tapping him on the shoulder.

"Dr Weir," he greeted. "It seems we have just a few minutes before we arrive at our new posting."

Elizabeth smiled, "I know the idea of going through the gate can be a little daunting." she said softly."but it's much better than a long trip on a ship."

He nodded, doing a good job at being convincingly confident. Elizabeth could see right through him, but decided to let it go.

She waited, butterlies in her stomach as she watched supplies being stacked around her, ready to make the trip to Atlantis with the city's newest commanders.

Elizabeth Weir was going home.

She tried to hide a grin, but Beletsky caught her look.

"You seem very happy."

She beamed at him, "You have no idea."

The next thing she knew, the gate was active, and General Landry was giving the go ahead to take that final step.

Elizabeth motioned to Beletsky to join her, and linked her arm with his.

"We'll go through together," she assured him. "On the count of three."

He nodded.

"One," she said softly, so the airmen around couldn't hear, "two," she gave him a reassuring smile, "three."
Morale by lostgrace
Elizabeth was greeted by the sound of bickering as she stepped through the gate, into Atlantis.

Beletsky gave her a questioning look, as the two men in front of them continued their conversation without showing any sign of noticing them.

"Rodney!"

Dr Rodney McKay stopped, turning to face her, obviously stunned.

"What are you doing here? I thought this was just a supply delivery.."

Elizabeth smiled, "You'll find out soon enough," she promised.

Radek Zelenka rushed up to her, giving her a brief hug, "Dr Weir, it's wonderful to see you, would you like me to take your backpack?"

Rodney rolled his eyes, "She's taken Zelenka, stop following her around like a lost puppy..."

Zelenka went off into a rant in mixed Czech and English, telling Rodney in no uncertain terms what he thought of him.

Elizabeth tried not to laugh at the familiar scene in front of her, pleased that some things never changed.

She turned to Beletsky, interupting the arguing scientists to make introductions. It seemed as though it was the first time the pair had noticed Elizabeth hadn't arrived in the city on her own.

"I guess we should get Caldwell down here," Rodney suggested.

"What about John?" Elizabeth inquired.

"Sleeping," Rodney offered.

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, "At eight o'clock at night?"

"We just got back from a long and boring mission on that wonderful mud planet we all know and love so much. They're all sleeping," Rodney repeated.

"How about you?"

Rodney grinned at her, "Come on, Elizabeth, I have important things to do. You know me better than that!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth ushered Beletsky past her as she entered what had once been her office.

Colonel Caldwell took his seat behind the desk, she, Beletsky and Rodney also taking seats around the desk.

"To what do we owe this visit?" Caldwell asked, finally.

Elizabeth smiled, and handed him an envelope, watching as he opened and read the note inside, signed by the president.

He raised an eyebrow. "This is effective immediately?"

Elizabeth nodded. "More or less. We need to work on the finer details between us, but.."

"Is what effective immediately?" Rodney demanded.

"We, and Colonel Sheppard, will form a new committee to run Atlantis." Caldwell answered.

For the first time since she'd met him, Elizabeth realised Rodney McKay was truly speechless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth walked through the halls of Atlantis, Colonel Caldwell at her side. The two had taken it upon themselves to find temporary quarters for Beletsky, who was still marvelling over the size and beauty of the city.

"You didn't think Sheppard should be there when you dropped the president's little bombshell?" Caldwell asked her.

"He knew it was possible," Elizabeth confessed. "As soon as he sees me here, he'll know what's happened."

"For the record, you have my support to head up this committee."

Elizabeth stopped walking, giving him a stunned look.

"You're the obvious choice," he explained. "Sheppard, McKay and I spend more time out in the field than you will, and Beletsky.. he's an unknown quantity."

"I'm sure he'd be fine," Elizabeth insisted. "He's highly recommended, a retired General..."

"Still," Caldwell interupted. "It would be good for morale to have you back in the office."

"You're not concerned about my connection to John? I was expecting you to fight my very existance as part of the committee.."

"You think I'd be worried you'd jeopardise the city for him?" Caldwell questioned.

Elizabeth shrugged.

The Colonel gave her a smile, "Your feelings for him never affected your work before..."

"But we weren't... there was nothing going on when I was..."

Caldwell laughed. "Elizabeth, I'm not blind. I always knew you were close. I trust you to do the right thing."

"Thank you." Elizabeth took a deep breath, "you have no idea how much that means to me."

"I think I have a clue... So Carter's having a kid," Caldwell muttered, "that's the last thing I expected to hear."

"It was a shock to all of us," Elizabeth admitted. "I think it was an even bigger shock to her, though."

"Well, this is me," Caldwell stopped outside a doorway. "You sure you don't want me to find you somewhere temporary for the night?"

Elizabeth shook her head. "John's going to have to get used to sharing," she told him with a smile, "he may as well start sharing now."

Caldwell watched as she walked away, towards John Sheppard's quarters. Things in this city were about to change. He decided it was a change for the better.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth entered John's room slowly and quietly, allowing her eyes to adjust to the darkness.

She moved to the chair she knew he kept his fresh t-shirts on, quickly slipping into one, before slowly approaching the bed.

Despite her occasional stumble in the darkness, he still slept, obviously exhausted, and feeling safe enough to properly rest within the confines of the city.

Elizabeth kneeled beside the bed, tracing a hand over John's cheek, and smiling when he mumbled her name in his sleep. She lifted the covers on his narrow bed carefully, edging herself in beside him, and resting her head against his shoulder.

It didn't surprise her in the least when John automatically shifted into his usual sleeping position beside her.
Divisions by lostgrace
John Sheppard woke at four in the morning, after surrendering to sleep so early in the evening, the day before.

He moved to stretch, but noticed a distinct pressure against his left side, pausing immediately to assess the situation. It was obvious he was not alone, and after an initial panic about what he might have done the night before, he decided he would never be so stupid, and this was obviously a dream.

There was definitely not a woman lying in his bed with her head rested under his chin. No, most definitely not.

John closed his eyes again, only to feel an arm move from his chest to drape across his waist.

He opened his eyes immediately, feeling his heart beat speed up, and awkwardly, tried to see what predicament he'd got himself into. By the light of the moon, he could make out a brunette head resting on his chest.

It was then the scent of her hair permeated his sleepy state. Elizabeth's shampoo.

"I'm dreaming.." he muttered to himself.

"Not a dream," a sleepy voice replied.

The woman in his bed raised her head slowly to look at him in the moonlight.

"Elizabeth?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John and Elizabeth lay side by side, facing each other.

"How are you here?" he asked.

"Jack's committee," she answered with a smile. "it happened, John. It's finally happening for us."

"When did you get here? Why didn't you wake me up?"

Elizabeth reached out, ruffling his already messy hair, "You needed your sleep," she insisted. "and I thought it'd be a nice surprise to wake up and find me here."

"Are you sure I'm not dreaming?" he mumbled.

Elizabeth tried to hide a yawn, "I promise you're not dreaming, but we should sleep a bit longer, we have a long day of meetings ahead of us."

John nodded, "What ever you say, Lizzy." he reached out, pulling her closer and settling them into a comfortable sleeping position, still convinced he'd wake up alone later, only to find he had indeed been dreaming.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John woke to the feeling of a hand gently messing with his hair. He opened one eye slowly, taking in the sight of Elizabeth Weir, dressed and ready to get to work.

"I wasn't dreaming..."

She smiled, planting a kiss on his forehead, "No, you weren't."

"Was I at least dreaming about us having meetings all day?" he asked.

Elizabeth shook her head, "Afraid not."

He let out a sigh, struggling into a sitting position.

"I wanna keep you all to myself for a day."

"I know. I want that too. Maybe once we get things sorted out with Colonel Caldwell and the others."

John rolled his eyes, "Great." he reached out, dragging her back down onto the bed, "can't we just pretend we slept in?"

Elizabeth smirked at him, "And just what do you think Rodney will tell everyone if we don't show up?"

"That we have a life?"

"Go and shower and get dressed," Elizabeth told him, "I'll come back with some breakfast."

He nodded, releasing her slowly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth stood at the threshold of her former office. It was empty. Colonel Caldwell was yet to appear. She and John had arrived ten minutes early for the nine o'clock talkfest.

"Go on," John whispered, his hand on her back.

"We should wait for him...."

John rolled his eyes, "'Lizabeth, it's not even his office. He's not going to care if you're already there when he turns up."

Elizabeth weighed up the situation for a moment before walking into the room, and sitting on a couch just moments before Caldwell entered.

"Oh, you're here," he said, dropping some files on the desk, "great, so we're just waiting for McKay and Beletsky."

Elizabeth smiled, "I believe Rodney's collecting our Russian friend from his new quarters. I'm sure they've made a stop for food on the way."

She was right, but Rodney it seemed, had changed. She was amused to see him enter the room with a tray of coffees, while Beletsky carried some pastries.

"That's what I call room service," John grinned, reaching to take a cup of coffee and trying to find the biggest of the pastries before Rodney had the chance to grab it.

"That's very thoughtful of you, Rodney," Elizabeth told him as he handed her a cup.

Rodney gave her a smug smile, and seated himself at the desk.

"Well," Caldwell started. "Since we're all here, I guess we'd better get down to business."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard leaned back in his chair, letting his head drop as far back as it possibly could before sitting up straight again and giving Elizabeth his best 'I'm bored' expression.

She hid a smirk as she listened to Caldwell changing the subject to their next item of business.

"Dr Weir."

Elizabeth's attention immediately turned to the Colonel.

"We need to talk about what happens when you go off-world. I'd say the need will be rare, but we need to be prepared, just in case."

"She can accompany my team," John said firmly.

"Oh, here we go.." Rodney muttered under his breath.

"No, that won't be happening, Colonel."

John eyeballed him, "I thought this was a committee process."

"It is," Caldwell insisted, "but the idea of Elizabeth going off-world with you is insane."

"Insane? My team is the best team there is," John started.

"Excuse me," Beletsky interupted.

The four turned to the newest member of their group, who'd remained mostly silent to this point.

"Go ahead," Caldwell coaxed.

"I don't know how it is in your military, but I would not be able to serve with my wife, my son, my daughter.. You're engaged are you not?"

Rodney smiled, wondering how John was going to answer back a man with as much military experience as retired General Beletsky.

It was Elizabeth who answered, "Yes," she confirmed, "we are, and I have to say I agree with Colonel Caldwell. I agreed with Colonel Carter when she made the same call." She turned to John, "As much as I know you want to be there when I go out with a team, it's too dangerous."

"Dr Weir, who would you suggest?" Beletsky continued.

"I have confidence in all the teams," she told him, "after all, John has trained them, allocated them... however, I just say if I had to make a choice... Major Lorne's team would be my personal preference. Along with Sergeant Katz."

Caldwell smiled, "Well, since Katz is now a member of Lorne's team, that works out perfectly, wouldn't you say?"

He glanced at John, who rolled his eyes in frustration.

"Right, that's settled. Elizabeth, when you need to go off-world, you go with Major Lorne's team." Caldwell assessed the people in front of him. "The only thing we need to do now is to decide who will be the leader of our committee. We can't just have five people running around telling people what to do. We need one central person who passes on information."

"That's easy," John said with a laugh, "Elizabeth."

Caldwell nodded, "My thoughts exactly." he turned to her, "You've done it all before, at least half the people here have seen you in a leadership role, you're not going to be in the field as much as we will..."

"No." Rodney interupted.

"McKay," John warned.

"Don't 'McKay' me, Sheppard." Rodney snapped. "This is a bad idea for the same reason that you going off-world with her is a bad idea."

John was stunned. Of all the people in this group, Rodney was the last person he'd expected to object to Elizabeth as a leader, just as Caldwell had been the last he'd expected to see as an ally.

The looks on the faces of Elizabeth and Caldwell showed they were just as shocked.
Parcels by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
It's been a while...
"I'm going to kill him..."

"John."

"I swear, I'm going to kill him..."

"John!"

John Sheppard stopped pacing, and turned to face Elizabeth. "What?"

"Enough," she said. "Just drop it."

He shook his head, glancing at Beletsky and Caldwell, "I'm going to talk to him. See what the hell is going on in that head of his."

"I don't think that's a good idea," Elizabeth told him calmly.

He sighed, "How can you just sit here and let him basically insult you and then storm out like a spoiled child?"

Elizabeth looked to Caldwell, silently begging him for a little intervention.

"You're not going to talk to anyone," he said firmly. "I'll talk to him."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Caldwell approached Dr Rodney McKay as he tapped away on his computer in his lab.

"What was that about?" he asked.

"What do you care?" Rodney asked. "I seem to remember you wanting one of their jobs a couple of years back. You should be happy I'm on your side."

Caldwell let out a sigh. "You're not on my side. I'm with Sheppard on this."

Rodney got out of his seat, dramatically, waving his arms around. "How can you not see the conflict of interest here? How can you not see that if she's making the decisions, his welfare's going to come before the welfare of the city, how can you.."

"You don't honestly believe that, do you?" Caldwell asked him, "it never affected her approach before. She's never been anything but professional..."

"They weren't engaged before."

"That doesn't mean they were any less 'together', and you know that."

Rodney slumped back into his seat. "Getting her back here was supposed to be the answer to all the problems around here..."

"And it still can be. Think about it. It's a committee, McKay. There are five of us. We make decisions together. She'd be a figurehead."

"It's not that simple.."

Caldwell shook his head in frustration, "McKay, it's only complicated because you're making it complicated."

Rodney gave him his best scowl, "Don't tell me you don't want the office for yourself..." he muttered.

"I don't."

Rodney gave him an incredulous look.

"Why is that so hard for to believe?" Caldwell asked. "Think about it. I'm military. You think I want to sit around dealing with your people all day? Sheppard sure as hell doesn't want the job. Beletsky.. he's too new. And you can't possibly think you're right for the job."

"Why not? Why couldn't I do the job?" Rodney demanded.

"Do you want it?"

Rodney threw a disgusted look Caldwell's way. "Deal with you and Sheppard all day? No thanks."

"So who does that leave?"

Rodney signed in frustration, knowing he was about to admit defeat.

"I don't think it's right."

"McKay, she's a people person. People here love her, military or civilian. The rest of us don't bring up those kind of feelings."

Rodney pondered Caldwell's comment for a moment. "I never expected you to be her champion..." he murmured. "I think I've seen everything now..."

"People change." Caldwell replied. "I'm going back in. You coming?"

After a pause, Rodney nodded, and followed the Colonel out of the lab.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth handed Rodney and Caldwell a fresh cup of coffee as they took their seats at the table.

"I'm sorry, Elizabeth," Rodney muttered softly.

She smiled at him, "It's fine."

"Like hell it is," John piped up.

"John!"

He scowled in Rodney's general direction, "'Lizabeth, he just cut you down without giving you a reason... he just dismissed you with no.."

"We've rectified the situation." Caldwell interupted, "haven't we Dr McKay?"

Rodney knodded stubbornly, "Yeah, they're right. You're the obvious choice. I wouldn't want to deal with the meat heads in the military, they don't want to deal with the scientists..."

"If you're sure this is something you can work with, Rodney," Elizabeth prompted, not trusting that he'd come to this conclusion without pressure.

"I'm sure," he said, "really, Elizabeth, let's just forget I said anything."

"We can do that," she responded with a smile.

But Rodney couldn't miss the death glare coming from John Sheppard on the other side of her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Within three months, Elizabeth had her office back the way it had been. She'd settled into her old routine as though she'd never been away.

Going over mission reports with John, looking at the latest from the scientific team with Rodney and Radek, looking at new security ideas from Caldwell and Beletsky.

She'd included combat training with Teyla into her schedule, finding it a great stress release, and a wonderful way of keeping fit. She wondered why she'd never contemplated it before. Why she'd avoided committing to regular training when John pushed her on the issue the last time she'd been in charge.

Mail deliveries arrived regularly from Earth, each on bringing a package of letters from Matt and Abby. There were photos, updates on Sedge's activities, which included chasing kids with frizbees on the beach in front of Matt's house, and information about what sort of hair colours Abby was experimenting with.

The most recent package had arrived that morning, and sat on the bed in the new room she and John had claimed, waiting to be opened. It was bigger than the previous packages. But it was clearly not filled with letters.

She'd been meaning to get away to look inside it all day, but by nightfall, was still at her desk.

When she finally realised the time, she figured she had half an hour before meeting John for dinner. Half an hour to get to their quarters, somehow open the package, which was taped up within an inch of its life, and get a look at whatever it held.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth considered the box, wondering how best to attack it. This one was addressed just to her. Not to John as well.

This in itself had her confused. It wasn't her birthday. She could think of no reason why her brother would be sending something purely for her.

Eventually, she sat on the bed beside the box, attacking it with a pair of scissors, slowly slitting the tape that held it tight.

Something inside was packed in tissue paper, and there was a card on the top. Elizabeth opened the card, reading Matt's familiar writing inside.

"Lizzy,

Since you don't know when you'll be back, I thought maybe you could use this,

Matt."

Elizabeth pulled back the tissue paper to reveal the dress. Her dress. The wedding dress she, Sam and Cassandra had gone shopping for months ago.

She'd left it with Matt for safe keeping.

Elizabeth smiled, closed the box again, and pushed it under the bed.

Now she had no excuse, she had to find a time and a place to use the dress.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John slipped the small box back into his pocket as Elizabeth settled at the table opposite him for dinner.

"What you got?" she asked curiously.

"Nothing..."

She raised an eyebrow.

"God, Elizabeth, can't I have any secrets?"

"I thought we decided we weren't going to have any of those..."

John sighed, "Let me re-phrase that, can't I do anything that might surprise you?"

Elizabeth frowned, "I hate surprises," she insisted.

"Lizzy, you love surprises."

"If you say so," she told him, sounding non-committal.

"'Lizabeth," John whined.

"It's not that I don't trust you, John," she told him, "It's just that..."

"You don't trust me," he finished.

"You catch on quickly," she told him with a smile.

"Okay," John looked around to make sure noone was close enough to overhear their conversation, "I'm wondering if you still want to marry me now we're living in the same place, I'm wondering if you agreed out of fear that we'd be separated, I'm wondering why we haven't talked about anything since we were planning Las Vegas."

The shocked look on Elizabeth's face had him backpedalling. "Not that things aren't great, because they are... I'm really happy with things the way they are, it's just that I thought.. you know, we were going to..."

Elizabeth smirked and lifted a finger to his lips. "You don't need to say anything else," she promised. "I'm ready when you are."
Vows by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
Nearly finished. Just an epilogue to go.
Elizabeth linked her fingers with John's, watching the party around them. Their wedding reception.

"I don't think Rodney and Radek will be getting much work done tomorrow," she said softly, watching the scientists starting on their second bottle of wine. Neither of them was too good at handling alcohol. She could only imagine how they'd be in the morning.

"Forget them," John insisted, "we have more important things to think about.. like a honeymoon for example."

"Yeah?"

John smirked at her, "Yeah."

Elizabeth raised a questioning eyebrow "So do you have any plans for this honeymoon?"

"Hmmm," John tugged on her hand, moving towards the wall, sitting in a conventiently located chair and pulling her into his lap. "I'm sure I can think of some ways to keep you entertained."

Elizabeth smiled, "I'm sure you can."

"Are you disappointed?" he asked suddenly, "I mean I know you wanted to have Abby as your bridesmaid, but.."

Elizabeth twisted to face him, "We're married. We're in our city. Our friends are having fun. I could never be disappointed with that."

John pressed a kiss to the top of her head, and wrapped his arms around her. "Good." he whispered.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Teyla and Ronon went about clearing away some of the mess from the wedding party. The marriage of two of their leaders had gone without a hitch. Teyla herself had performed the ceremony, while Kate and Rodney had attended the bride and groom.

The newlyweds had retired to their quarters, and Teyla had issued stern instructions to Ronon and Rodney to leave them alone. She had Ronon under her watchful eye, and was sure from her last sighting of Rodney as he and Zelenka stumbled off to their lab to play computer games that neither of them was up to causing too much trouble.

"You did a good job," a voice said behind her.

Teyla turned, smiling at Colonel Caldwell, "Thank you."

"Too bad their honeymoon consists of three days on the mainland, but I guess at least they're getting some time alone."

Teyla nodded, "it has been a long time coming, as your people say."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Sheppard woke early the next morning. He opened one eye, blinking in the sunlight, and turned, curling back towards Elizabeth.

"You awake?" he asked, twisting a curl of her hair around the fingers of his right hand.

She smiled, "Yeah.."

"You want to get going?"

"Nope."

John laughed, "Lizzy, I know you're not big on mornings, but we only have three days away... think of it, you, me, a beach hut, no sign of Rodney or Caldwell..."

"What time is it?" she asked with a sigh.

"Six."

"Hmmm," she reached out for his left hand, feeling the band of platinum around his ring finger. "Just give me another half hour. I want to have a sleep in with my new husband."

John kissed her forehead, "Whatever you say."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I swear, if you try to pass that off as your own work when Elizabeth gets back..."

"But it is my own work!" Radek Zelenka insisted. "You simply assisted, and you know it."

"Oh, no, no, no. No you don't.."

Ronon watched the two, glancing to one, then the other as the conversation continued, got louder, and turned into a screaming match with occasional Czech words thrown in from an increasingly angry Dr Zelenka.

"What's their problem?" Colonel Caldwell asked.

Ronon shrugged. "Do I look like I care? I'm just here to see which one throws a punch first.."

Caldwell frowned. "Anyone know where Teyla is? Heightmeyer? Anyone else who can shut these two up?"

"Just you wait until Elizabeth gets back!" Rodney yelled, his voice turning high pitched.

"Oh, you think just because you were best man she's going to side with you? I dont think so!"

"You want to put money on that?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth linked her arm through John's as they exited the jumper. Three days had gone so quickly. She was concerned about the state of the city without them, and hoped Caldwell had managed to keep Rodney's ego in check.

"What do you say we hit the hay?" John interupted her thoughts.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, "You can't be serious."

"Why not?"

She laughed, "John, it's eight o'clock. I think we should at least put in an appearance for half an hour before we disappear to our room."

"Do we have to?"

She squeezed his arm, "Yes, we have to."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth gave John a concerned look as she registered the screaming coming from her office. One of the voices definitely belonged to Rodney, and the second, going by the accent, couldn't belong to anyone but Radek.

"What the hell?"

She shrugged, "So much for Caldwell keeping him in line..."

Colonel Caldwell chose that moment to interject, screaming at the two to grow up and shut up.

There was silence for about three seconds before they were at it again.

"You really want to walk into that?" John asked, noticing the ongoing mentioning of Elizabeth's name.

"Maybe you had the right idea..."

John smiled, "I thought you'd see it my way."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was three hours before anyone noticed that John and Elizabeth should have arrived home. Three hours before two sets of heavy boots were heard marching down their corridor. Three hours before Rodney's plaintive voice was calling for them.

John sighed, "Do you want to tell him to shove off, or should I?"

Elizabeth smirked at him, "Let me handle this."

She readied herself for the onslaught, seconds before the door opened.

"Elizabeth!" Both Rodney and Radek spoke at once, immediately rambling on, trying to out yell each other.

"Gentlemen!"

Both stopped at the sound of her stern voice, looking questioningly at her.

"Uh, yeah?" Rodney glanced at Zelenka.

"Aren't you going to ask how our trip was?"

"Oh, uh, yeah, how was it?" Rodney threw another confused and frustrated glance at Zelenka.

"Wonderful, though we didn't get much of a tan, we actually spent most of our time in the hut because we ..."

Zelenka started coughing, and Rodney quickly interjected "Oh, no, no, too much information, I don't want to know what went on in the hut..."

"No..." Zelenka was bright red in the face by now, "No we should go, we really should..."

"Yeah, we're just going to go... thinking of you... and him," Rodney pointed to a smirking John Sheppard behind Elizabeth, "It's just... no, it's just like thinking of your parents, it's just... "

"Wrong," Zelenka finished.

Rodney knodded, "Wrong. Definitely wrong."

"So you agree on that?" Elizabeth asked sweetly.

The scientists glanced at each other, confused, before nodding.

"Great, now go and see if you can manage to agree on whatever it is you've been fighting about all day before I see you in my office tomorrow."

"Uh, okay, I guess we'll...."

"Ten o'clock. Be there," Elizabeth said, as the door slid shut, obscuring the shocked faces of the team's two most senior scientists.

John burst out laughing as Elizabeth turned to face him.

"You know, I think you've been spending too much time with me."

Elizabeth closed in on him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I don't think that's possible," she whispered.
Epilogue by lostgrace
Author's Notes:
Just tying up some loose ends.
Rodney McKay groaned dramatically, as the argument continued around him.

The same fight had been going on for the past hour, and no progress was being made.

Bottom line, John Sheppard didn't like being overruled, especially when it was Beletsky, Caldwell and his wife ganging up on him.

He felt like telling Sheppard you had to pick your battles and this was not one to fight. Rodney himself had uncharacteristically conceded defeat twenty minutes ago, when Elizabeth, Caldwell and Beletsky showed no sign of budging. He just wished his friend would swallow his pride and do the same.

It was getting late. And Rodney was getting hungry.

And most of the fighting was coming from John and Elizabeth. It was a little too much like watching your parents argue.

He slumped back into his chair, staring at the ceiling, willing the discussion to be over.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"This isn't over," John insisted, as the meeting broke up, "I will be putting this back on the agenda tomorrow."

"Fine," Elizabeth snapped, "you do that."

Rodney shared a pained look with Beletsky. He really didn't fancy a rerun of the same argument.

So much for the idea that Elizabeth would favour John.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Elizabeth was settled comfortably under the covers when John finished his shower. He glanced across at her, trying to gauge her mood.

When he couldn't assess her expression, he decided on the direct approach.

"Are we okay?" He asked.

She smiled, "Why wouldn't we be?"

"Oh, well, you know, we just spent half of the day screaming at each other."

Elizabeth laughed "Our first fight as husband and wife."

"Yeah."

"So I guess this is where we test the theory that we'll never go to bed angry at each other."

John nodded, approaching the bed. "This won't be our last work related fight."

"If it was, we'd be holding back. We'd be letting us affect our jobs. We don't want to do that."

"Right," John agreed, "but I hate fighting with you."

Elizabeth lifted the covers, motioning for John to get into the bed. He slid in beside her, settling into their usual comfortable position.

"Can we keep Colonel Sheppard and Doctor Sheppard separate from John and Elizabeth?" he asked.

"No," Elizabeth replied, "but we can keep Doctor Weir and Colonel Sheppard separate from us."

John let out a loud, frustrated groan. "You're not going to give up on that, either, are you?"

"Nope."

"Rodney says I need to learn to pick my battles...." he yawned, and pulled Elizabeth closer to him.

"Rodney's a genius."

"Okay, let's talk babies, then..."

"One."

"Aw come on Elizabeth, I thought we should aim at three, and whatever we get..."

"One."

"But..."

"John, I deal with grownup sized children all day every day, you're lucky I want even one...."

"Okay, how about we compromise and go for two..."

"No..."

"But we could..."

"No!"

John sighed and closed his eyes. It was going to be a long night of negotiations.
This story archived at http://www.sheppardweir.com/fanfics/viewstory.php?sid=949