Dancing by Elvinborn
Summary: She dreams of dancing...
Categories: Fanfiction Characters: None
Genres: Fluff & Slush, Vignettes
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 389 Read: 2241 Published: May 15, 2006 Updated: May 15, 2006

1. Dancing by Elvinborn

Dancing by Elvinborn
She dreams of dancing. Her mind wandering off in rich daydreams involving absurdly expensive ball gowns and tuxedos and dress uniforms all in a lavishly decorated room too big to be a mere ballroom. There are probably champagne fountains on a buffet table overloaded with shrimp, caviar, and cocktail weanies, but her dream self never bothers with the food.

Instead, she is swept into his arms and whirled about the dance floor as the orchestra plays Mozart waltzes, or "Unchained Melody", or once it was "Damn It Feels Good to Be A Gangsta", but she's pretty sure that was because of something she ate. In the dance, their eyes meet, and she's so comfortable in his arms. So safe. She can't think of anywhere else she'd rather be.

~*~


"Elizabeth?"

She falls out of her dream to find herself in a warm bed with John against her back.

"Hmmm?"

He plants a kiss in her hair before moving to brush his lips behind her ear. "Elizabeth, you're humming."

She smiles sleepily at him and pats the arm that rests on her belly. "Was I?"

"I know that smile," he says, and she can hear the echoing grin in his voice. "You were dancing again, weren't you?"

She doesn't answer. She simply wiggles herself deep into the mattress and closer to his warmth. When his arms don't immediately surround her, she grabs them and tugs them until they are snug about her waist. And she is content.

He chuckles softly, and then rolls away from her, leaving a draft where he had been. When she hears his bare feet hit the floor, Elizabeth rolls over to meet his eyes. He kneels beside the bed, his chin propped on his hands, and his smile twinkling with mischief.

"You know the rules, Elizabeth," he says with a tilt of his head, and he extends a hand to take hers. She accepts the hand and lets him pull her out of the bed and onto the balcony.

~*~


This is her favorite part of the dream. Awake. Loose pajamas that smell of clean laundry and of John. The Atlantean stars for a chandelier, and this small balcony for a ballroom. And swaying in one another's arms while humming an Athosian tune.
This story archived at http://www.sheppardweir.com/fanfics/viewstory.php?sid=658